Am I the Only One Who Finds the Skyscale Obnoxious?

@AgentMoore.9453 said:...I'll be perching my mount on the ground or up on a cliff where it isn't bothering anyone, because I find that to be a basic courtesy to other players and to my own screen.

When the skyscales first started showing up ingame, they didn't bother me at all. As their numbers have increased though, and as we've been having these large group orientated special events, the visual clutter of those flapping wings has become a lot more noticeable to me. When large groups are waiting for the boss fights to begin right now, there are often so many skyscales hovering that I have to keep moving around just to keep the flapping wings from flickering across my screen and blocking my view.

The hovering mechanism itself seems very useful. Being attacked every time you stop on a map is irritating. When I get my skyscale I expect to be hovering a lot. The real problem I suspect is, as others have pointed out, poor design of the mount. The designers didn't seem to notice the visual noise their shiny new mount would bring. Don't know if that will ever get fixed but in the meantime AgentMoore has given us a good workaround - basic courtesy. When I do get my new mount and start hovering a lot I won't do it over groups of other players. That seems reasonable to me.

I have one, and have tried to impose my own etiquette for myself. If I decide to hover afk somewhere, it's usually for a short period of time, and I only do it where I want to be close enough to something before it starts, but there's a lot of mobs around, and/or I'm just not that familiar with a good place to stand afk before it starts. Like this new WB event, I don't do (and I'm going to make up a name, b/c I don't know how to spell it) the Hrathi Highland's 'Muggy Uggy' event much, nor Taida Covingsomething in BC. When I get there, I get up as high as I can and hover over where it will start. I'm pretty high up in the sky. I suppose if there are 30 others where I'm at, we'd block out the sky, and that's a bummer.

I never do it in places like FE, where I wait around up on the square that you can jump up on (I still don't cheat and use a mount to get on it, I like using the 'hop' method I learned from someone else years ago). I usually have my healing set on and will afk before the event in Water where I'm regenerating. Worst case scenario, I die while afk and someone res's me. You won't ever see me do it loitering in town, or really any mount for that matter. If I don't need to be using the mount, I'm generally not on one. I rarely use them playing up new characters through maps even. Running from place to place is still fun for me. I will use them on HoT/PoF (always think of H.R. Pufnstuf when I see HoT/PoF, H.P. HoTnPoF) maps much more often - I'm not crazy. :)

But besides all that, I wouldn't be opposed with them coming up with a new layer of visibility to hide people on mounts, or make us look smaller to people with a filter on while we're in the air? Anything like that.

It's pretty annoying that there's currently 5 of them hovering right over Wild-eyed Millar in 'my' copy of LA right now. They're right on top of a spot where they know a lot of people will want to stand, too far up to participate themselves and they're not landing so they can't be waiting for anything, but low enough down that it's impossible to get the flicking wings off your screen.

If they were in the middle of the fountains - what seems to have become the unofficial 'look at my shiny thing' spot - it would be fine, but they're all clustered right on top of the one spot lots of people want to be in right now. It's difficult to draw any conclusion from that except that they don't just want to be seen but want to be unavoidable. Like their need for attention overrules anyone else's desire to see anything except flickering wings.

If people are hovering high in the sky, I just don't look there. But If they are hovering just a little bit over the floor, that's a clear sign of "Look at me" players. Why else would you want to do that?

It's like when the new SAB chair came out, there were tons of SAB chairs everywhere. Edit: used a bad word that the filter didn't see. sorry.

Same with the skyscale chair.Same with wings. With anything "flashy" actually.

There's not really anything that can be done about that as it's literally a human behavior.

@"Edge.8724" said:If people are hovering high in the sky, I just don't look there. But If they are hovering just a little bit over the floor, that's a clear sign of "Look at me" players. Why else would you want to do that?

It's like when the new SAB chair came out, there were tons of SAB chairs everyfuckingwhere.

There's not really anything that can be done about that as it's literally a human behavior.

Slightly different in that anet makes a lot of money off those things and that allows the rest of us to play for free after initial purchase . . .

@Gop.8713 said:

@"Edge.8724" said:If people are hovering high in the sky, I just don't look there. But If they are hovering just a little bit over the floor, that's a clear sign of "Look at me" players. Why else would you want to do that?

It's like when the new SAB chair came out, there were tons of SAB chairs everyfuckingwhere.

Slightly different in that anet makes a lot of money off those things and that allows the rest of us to play for free after initial purchase . . .

Yyyup, that's a good point.

I don't have a problem with the skyscales themselves though I have noticed my lag has increased in areas where they are hovering around. My issue is with the players that show up to world events on mounts, be it skyscales or any other of the large winged mounts and don't get off them. They sit in the middle of things blocking everyone's view. If you don't want to participate in the event go elsewhere or go sit up on a hill if you just want to watch.

you done the griffon collections and etc? if you have...… you can do the skyscale.. don't give up.. you can do it!!!! don't look at all the things you need to do, just chip it down a little a day.. do it slowly.. don't get emotional when you see others has it flying everywhere brushing your character etc. :p

I don't have the Skyscale yet.The wingspan/hovering doesn't bother me at all. When I go in main cities or in large groups of players, I'm there either to visit the bank/trading post, or grind world bosses. I've been to those cities, and killed those bosses, tons of times. I don't care about seeing the sky, I care about getting my loot or sorting my inventory. When I want to enjoy the environment, I go explore maps or something. Seems like a non-issue to me.

@bbop.9706 said:I was flapping gloriously above the plebs waiting for world bosses last night toying with the dye channels, loving my new dragon skin.

I think it's an awe inspiring sight to behold and will only improve with more flavour skins.

Stop moaning and train your dragon.

The skin is cool. I don't love it enough to spend $20. Just remember that shadow is a bit distracting. I will keep my current version that is pretty obviously the result of an indiscresion by Aurene and a Wyvern. Teenagers will do what they do.