Please add an Oceania Server to make the game actually playable

@Talindra.4958 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You realize that if there is a Oceania server they won’t be playing with people on either NA or EU servers. There will need to be enough Oceania players to populate all PvE maps, enough for competitive sPvP and at least 3 WvW servers. That’s all you’ll ever play with and against.

FYI there is roughly an 8-hour difference in peak times between the US and Australia and their respective populations are already isolated from each other. Being on physically separated hardware changes nothing.

If the population that plays on an Oceanic server is less than the off time population of the Na or Eu servers then yes it does change things but not for the better. In addition, you’ll be able to talk to your current NA or Eu guild mates but no matter what time you log on you’ll never be able to play with them.

I think you forget the fact that Asia is very close to Australia -- and this server would be able to provide better ping to Asian players than any current server would. Meaning that you have a potential population reach of at the very least a few hundred million players as Asia is home to over 4.5 billion players. So yes, I understand that I wouldn't be able to play with people in NA or EU. I don't think it would be needed.

potential player population isn’t actual player population.

I wonder how well gw2China is doing. We never hear about it anymore but from past posts by players who play there and posted here it doesn’t sound like it’s thriving. Possibly the game over there is mishandled but another consideration is that Asian players expect and want a different game than western players. Most games don’t cross over well as Asian players want heavy grind and pay to win features (such as buying Legendaries in the gemstore and having VIP accounts, both of which gw2China has) and western games are more casual. So just because there are a lot of players over there doesn’t mean they are or would be gw2 players.

Mmm. Im asian.. im so bad in grinding. I prefer good pvp and good games than grinding. So your assumption on how asian likes to grind is definately not correct hah seriously right who likes to grind?

Thank you for your personal anecdote on how you like to play. However it doesn’t change that as a group Asians, and I mean people born and raised in an Asian country, as a group prefer games that are grindier than this game and often have no problems with p2w elements that are not liked in the west. This means that a game like gw2 is going to have problems retaining that type of players and the market for it over there might not be enough to sustain another data center. Anet has the numbers on how many log in from over there and what type of games are preferred and decided that an Oceania server wouldn’t be good for the game.

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:You realize that if there is a Oceania server they won’t be playing with people on either NA or EU servers. There will need to be enough Oceania players to populate all PvE maps, enough for competitive sPvP and at least 3 WvW servers. That’s all you’ll ever play with and against.

FYI there is roughly an 8-hour difference in peak times between the US and Australia and their respective populations are already isolated from each other. Being on physically separated hardware changes nothing.

If the population that plays on an Oceanic server is less than the off time population of the Na or Eu servers then yes it does change things but not for the better. In addition, you’ll be able to talk to your current NA or Eu guild mates but no matter what time you log on you’ll never be able to play with them.

I think you forget the fact that Asia is very close to Australia -- and this server would be able to provide better ping to Asian players than any current server would. Meaning that you have a potential population reach of at the very least a few hundred million players as Asia is home to over 4.5 billion players. So yes, I understand that I wouldn't be able to play with people in NA or EU. I don't think it would be needed.

I wonder how well gw2China is doing. We never hear about it anymore but from past posts by players who play there and posted here it doesn’t sound like it’s thriving. Possibly the game over there is mishandled but another consideration is that Asian players expect and want a different game than western players. Most games don’t cross over well as Asian players want heavy grind and pay to win features (such as buying Legendaries in the gemstore and having VIP accounts, both of which gw2China has) and western games are more casual. So just because there are a lot of players over there doesn’t mean they are or would be gw2 players.

Mmm. Im asian.. im so bad in grinding. I prefer good pvp and good games than grinding. So your assumption on how asian likes to grind is definately not correct hah seriously right who likes to grind?

Thank you for your personal anecdote on how you like to play. However it doesn’t change that as a group Asians, and I mean people born and raised in an Asian country, as a group prefer games that are grindier than this game and often have no problems with p2w elements that are not liked in the west. This means that a game like gw2 is going to have problems retaining that type of players and the market for it over there might not be enough to sustain another data center. Anet has the numbers on how many log in from over there and what type of games are preferred and decided that an Oceania server wouldn’t be good for the game.

The personal anecdote he provided is better than the assumption you provided. No, Asian people don't 'like to grind', some may, not all. Yes, it is more acceptable for 'pay to win' over there but no -- that does not mean they find it preferable. I was gonna call you up on this earlier but you led off with the stance it was a general expectation difference over there which is largely true. Your argument seems to boil down to 'asian people won't like GW2 because it isn't grindy and doesn't have P2W elements' which is laughable and I have an alternate theory. Maybe they don't like it because they can't play the f***ing game without 400 ping?

@Teh Blair.5718 said:

The personal anecdote he provided is better than the assumption you provided. No, Asian people don't 'like to grind', some may, not all. Yes, it is more acceptable for 'pay to win' over there but no -- that does not mean they find it preferable. I was gonna call you up on this earlier but you led off with the stance it was a general expectation difference over there which is largely true. Your argument seems to boil down to 'asian people won't like GW2 because it isn't grindy and doesn't have P2W elements' which is laughable and I have an alternate theory. Maybe they don't like it because they can't play the game without 400 ping?

Gw2China has a data center over there. Is it thriving? Anet’s very quiet about it. Had a big sendoff when it started off and now.... silence. Makes me think it’s not doing so well.

@Teh Blair.5718 said:

The personal anecdote he provided is better than the assumption you provided. No, Asian people don't 'like to grind', some may, not all. Yes, it is more acceptable for 'pay to win' over there but no -- that does not mean they find it preferable. I was gonna call you up on this earlier but you led off with the stance it was a general expectation difference over there which is largely true. Your argument seems to boil down to 'asian people won't like GW2 because it isn't grindy and doesn't have P2W elements' which is laughable and I have an alternate theory. Maybe they don't like it because they can't play the f***ing game without 400 ping?

Lol yup the ping would put them off well imagine EU players get 400 ping.. you think they will play this game?I believe eu has greater in game population than na. Thts only my observation at my playtime

The personal anecdote he provided is better than the assumption you provided. No, Asian people don't 'like to grind', some may, not all. Yes, it is more acceptable for 'pay to win' over there but no -- that does not mean they find it preferable. I was gonna call you up on this earlier but you led off with the stance it was a general expectation difference over there which is largely true. Your argument seems to boil down to 'asian people won't like GW2 because it isn't grindy and doesn't have P2W elements' which is laughable and I have an alternate theory. Maybe they don't like it because they can't play the game without 400 ping?

Gw2China has a data center over there. Is it thriving? Anet’s very quiet about it. Had a big sendoff when it started off and now.... silence. Makes me think it’s not doing so well.

No idea how it works there but china data base isnt linked with our original management team

But it was thriving, at one point. Right? And that's because ANet advertised the fuck out of it but never implemented an Asia Server. Also just to clarify as far as I understand it there isn't a public server in China. If that's what you're suggesting. They just advertised heavily in China -- they didn't open a server there.

No idea how it works there but china data base isnt linked with our original management team

@Talindra.4958 said:

ANet should be getting information on login numbers, profit, etc. If the numbers were good enough they’d be mentioning them when they talk about how well the game is doing and if the numbers were good enough they’d be used to set up data center(s) in that part of the world to attract more players. The silence about how well gw2China is doing and the decision not to add additional data center(s) over there indicates to me that the demand for the game in that part of the world isn’t enough to expand out there.

@Teh Blair.5718 said:

But it was thriving, at one point. Right? And that's because ANet advertised the kitten out of it but never implemented an Asia Server. Also just to clarify as far as I understand it there isn't a public server in China. If that's what you're suggesting. They just advertised heavily in China -- they didn't open a server there.

It’s completely separate from the NA/EU game. Has its own data center, its own trading post, some different skins (because of Chinese dislike of human skeletons) etc... and it’s owned/operated by a company named Kong Zhong. As far as I know you can’t own both the Chinese version and the NA/Eu without special permission (WoodenPotatoes described how he had to have permission to get an account on gw2China). They do get all the updates that we do but modified for their rules.

But it was thriving, at one point. Right? And that's because ANet advertised the kitten out of it but never implemented an Asia Server. Also just to clarify as far as I understand it there isn't a public server in China. If that's what you're suggesting. They just advertised heavily in China -- they didn't open a server there.

It’s completely separate from the NA/EU game. Has it’s own data center, it’s own trading post, some different skins (because of Chinese dislike of human skeletons) etc... and it’s owned/operated by a company named Kong Zhong. As far as I know you can’t own both the Chinese version and the NA/Eu without special permission (WoodenPotatoes described how he had to have permission to get an account on gw2China). They do get all the updates that we do but modified for their rules.

I think this china data centre and business is a complete different business entity. what The blair asked for is an oceanic server catering for all South East Asian and Australasia players under the whole umbrella of the original Arena Net. I have no idea if there is a good market opportunity and no idea the associated cost plus on going management. but everything is cheap in asia :P

@Talindra.4958 said:

It’s completely separate from the NA/EU game. Has it’s own data center, it’s own trading post, some different skins (because of Chinese dislike of human skeletons) etc... and it’s owned/operated by a company named Kong Zhong. As far as I know you can’t own both the Chinese version and the NA/Eu without special permission (WoodenPotatoes described how he had to have permission to get an account on gw2China). They do get all the updates that we do but modified for their rules.

I think this china data centre and business is a complete different business entity. what The blair asked for is an oceanic server catering for all South East Asian and Australasia players under the whole umbrella of the original Arena Net. I have no idea if there is a good market opportunity and no idea the associated cost plus on going management.

Yes, I know. I was answering his question about whether gw2China has its own data center as he didn’t know that.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The way the game is built means that each region can only play with people in the same region, which is why NA players can't game with EU ones.

If a third region were opened up, it would have to be self-sufficient. That means it would have to generate enough population to cover PvP, at least 9-12 worlds worth of WvW (with some pop off-peak and lots of pop during peak), raids, fractals, four dozen different open world maps, and LS... all at the same time. That's a lot of players. And that wouldn't be just purchasers; it would have to be a lot who purchase and keep coming back.

Australia & NZ combined have a pop of 30 million, which is 10% of the US alone (not counting Canada or Mexico) at over 325 million and over it's 6% of EU's population of ~500 million. So even if ANet opened a 3rd region, AUS would be a poor choice of location to generate the type of population the game needs to feel vibrant.

A more likely location is Singapore, which is close to Malaysia (over 30 million) and Indonesia (264 million). That would put the data center at 6300 km from Sydney, compared to 15.5k km from Sydney to Virginia. That would certainly reduce ping; it wouldn't drop it to the ~100 ms latency that people in NA or EU enjoy.

Another likely hub would be India, whose population is 75% bigger than EU & NA combined.

We have little way to estimate the potential player base of any of the above, since residency doesn't mean one is a likely gamer. What research there is out there suggests that Australia is less promising in terms of proportion of gamers per million population, compared to the other locations.

All of that ignores the actual costs of setting up and maintaining a third datacenter for the game. The actual machine costs are relatively low these days. Instead there are local laws|taxes|regulations, security, and usually some requirement for having locals involved with the business. And security. While Australia probably dominates this category, as players, we don't really have a good grasp of what this would entail.

We do, however, have a proxy to measure how good an idea this is: on multiple occasions, ANet's said they looked into and decided against the idea.

Since ANet is an international business, with years of experience running multiple data centers, presumably they are qualified to recognize a strong business opportunity. Moreover, they are a wholly-owned subsidiary of another international firm, also with such experience. Anyone considering claiming that there's big profits should consider first why ANet doesn't agree that there's money to be made this way.

Why would a oce server need to cover 12 wvw servers? Just 3 are enough.

SEA-based servers would be pretty dead in WvW and PvP a lot of the time, but to be honest that's because those two game modes are mediocre and aren't doing well anyway.

I'd still transfer to a Singapore-based server if the option was available, because even though I'm about as far away from SG as you can get while still being in the Oceanic region, the ping is still half what I get to the NA servers. I even get a better ping to Japan. Of course, some of the problem will be congestion - I can get about 190ms to Texas instead of 220-240ms in ideal circumstances - but most of it is just being too far away.

I'm not sure whether opening up a SEA server would actually pay off, though. GW2 is coming up to 7 years old, and it's not really growing at any particular rate. Compare that to ESO, which is 4 years old, continues to grow year-on-year, has even worse latency across the Pacific, and they're not planning to add servers in Asia either - though with the disastrous state of gameplay in Australasia they're losing players because of it. If a company that's well-positioned to profit from a new server block in their MMO is so reluctant to set one up, I don't see ANet being in any position to do so either.

Better to wait for a competitor with some interest in the Asian market to come along.

Hi. I'm in perth two with a ping over 400.Gave up on PvP a long tome ago but suffer through WvW levelling for legendary. If I have time , I /sit when I get attacked.
Problem is it's a game to be played over the internet but Arenanet ignore the reality of the net.If they can't set up servers here they need to make the game mechanics account for differences in ping.Casting on a target should take at least as long as the targets ping +.

@zealex.9410 said:Why would a oce server need to cover 12 wvw servers? Just 3 are enough.3 is only enough to have a match-up, the same identical match up week in and week out. It's not enough to have anything close to the experience found in NA or EU. And it's not enough to allow for balance as attrition/new players change the make up of each world, even ignoring the bandwagoning that plagues the game mode.This might change if/when Alliances show up.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Why would a oce server need to cover 12 wvw servers? Just 3 are enough.3 is only enough to have a match-up, the same identical match up week in and week out. It's not enough to have anything close to the experience found in NA or EU. And it's not enough to allow for balance as attrition/new players change the make up of each world, even ignoring the bandwagoning that plagues the game mode.This might change if/when Alliances show up.

And thats not bad, it creates a sense of community which lacks from eu and na.

There simply isn’t enough GW2 gamers in the OCX region to warrant a new region.

AWS has quite a few datacenter regions in the OCX area but when ANet moves to AWS servers they had to choose a region. This is why the NA servers are in Virginia because the GW2 gaming population is central to that location.

This is simply a cost-benefit and population numbers game. The OCX population isn’t there to warrant a new GW2 region.

@zealex.9410 said:

And thats not bad, it creates a sense of community which lacks from eu and na.

On the contrary, there was a long period when each world faced the same 3 worlds for months in a row unless something extraordinary happened. It annoyed people and it's partly why we have 1 up|1 down now instead of match-ups being set by Glicko.

A sense of community is certainly important and fortunately doesn't require smaller populations.

• 2 weeks later...

@Teh Blair.5718 said:Hopefully this is the correct place to post this suggestion. I live in Perth, Australia -- pretty much the most isolated main city in the world. This means my ping is routinely over 300, and in many cases even over 400 during peak times. I played this game with friends and really enjoyed the leveling process. Unfortunately upon dipping my toes into raiding and PvP I discovered that in any 'competitive' sense, meaning DPSing raids, any jumping puzzle anywhere or literally anything to do with PvP, even with fractals suffering also; the game is simply just barely playable. Dodging any PvE mechanics is something that's simply not going to happen with 0.4 seconds delay on every input. Admittedly it doesn't help that my favourite class when I did play was the elite spec of an elementalist or my thief, which has a complex rotation and very low health but even on my warrior, ranger or revenent the game just simply isn't viable for me to play outside of basic world leveling... I really want to get back into this game with some friends but I can't justify it over other MMOs that offer an Australian server no matter how good the actual gameplay is.

I hope there's other people who have suggested this idea in the past, and I hope it's not dismissed offhandedly. In my city there's many people who I know have wanted to play this game but haven't because of this very problem. I really hope my suggestion will be considered seriously because while I'm sure there are people who have managed to do these high end activities in Australia, it's way more frustrating than it should be and that added barrier for entry is honestly worth me just finding another game to play that does offer an Australian Server.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Edit: Just want to clarify as people seem to think I'm stupid or don't understand how servers work. I do in fact understand I'd only be able to play with people from OCE. My argument is not that I don't want to play with people from other servers, instead that I think there is a large enough population in Australia and much of Asia to justify this server, as I'd guess that places such as India would likely get a better ping from an Australia server than an EU server; could be mistaken though. Some MMO's do actually have Australian servers with flourishing playerbases, if you hadn't noticed.

Furthermore, I'm aware I can do these things if I wanted to work past the barrier for entry, but constantly being at a disadvantage whilst also making my favourite class feel incredibly clunky to play instead of responsive and smooth is still enough of a downside that it makes me want to just find another MMO.

I actually agree with you. I'm from the UK so servers are not an issue for me, but it would be a financially sound investment for ArenaNet to put up a Oceania server to better serve Asian, Australian and New Zealand players. Bit of a head scratcher.

@Talindra.4958 said:Im in queensland.. i have nbn with top speed. Download a dvd movie takes 10 or 15 mins, but my ping is over 400 :)The thing is.. we adjusted to it. Ppl reported me hacking in pvp while i was lagging like crazy. A lot of mechanic is quite painful where we have to react faster than others and most of time need six sense. Still with all frustration, you can still get all pve achievements done.Im oceanic and playing in EU server. I manage a guild from EU server started since gw1 so i have to give up the luxury of having slightly better ping in NA. I like NA ppl better as they are more friendly and civilized (way of communication), but EU is my home in game. :)

The thing is, I don't think it is fair. A ping of 400 is unfair against the players you are playing against. Personally, I believe in a competitive setting, that pings should not exceed 150ms.