About Duels

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

They do not seem to be a thing on every server, but there appears to be a community on some of the european servers. I am sort of frustrated at the moment, because almost every battle I have seen over the past three days appeared to be a duel. I want to do my dailies somehow and ... well I do WvW for the tickets ... participation.

What I know or at least believe to know:

• the official duel spot is on the small island with the sentry in Alpine Borderlands, north of the southern central camp
  • allies and enemies who stand there are either spectators or waiting for duels
  • to engage someone into a duel, just jump infront of them and wait for them to jump as well, find a location and start
  • interfering a duel is 100 % suicide, because every player in the area (except you) has a build optimized for 1v1 and can strike you down in 1/2 sec
  • watching is allowed
  • claming the camp is allowed
  • claming the sentry is sometimes allowed

What I do not understand:

• when I go to a duel, and sit down I get attacked by other spectators
  • using the pathway to the camp also gets you killed/attacked by the spectators
  • sometimes even claiming the monument gets you killed/attacked by the spectators
  • if you watch a duel from the other side of the water, ppl sneak up at you and kill you

How do I spot a duel in other places?Two people fighting on the field is not a real indicator. Asking? Either you fight or you write. I cannot message and fight at the same time and those combats look quite intense. Duelists are not much talkative, even if the fight is over. They only care about the duel itself, which is sort of understandable.

From my understanding, duels only work because players agree to some basic rules. What belongs to those rules and what not depends, on the day, the time and the mood of the players. If the bloodthirst is high enough, every non-dueling player is a free kill. A spectator can also watch when he is dead.

Is there an agreement, that server X is the dueling hotspot for this week? Then I will skip it entirely. Where can I look this up?

Could we get a map with 50 square holes in the ground, each hole has the measurements of the Arcane Council room in Rata Sum. People who want to duel can jump into a room and fight. The others can do WvW on the other maps?

The true dueling place was by the windmill (for the people who didn't want to interfere with other things), seems people changed it over time and starting to be lame more often.

And if you try to kill or interfere with them in their spot, even the person from your server will try to assist them to kill you, and what is worse is even if you don't interfere and then have a combat with the enemies server close to that area, those duelers will interfere, my suggestion if you can handle the hate is kill them and move on, unless they are by the windmill. (might as well mark the person who is dueling them incase he tries to assist them in the future or have plans of not helping you at things)

Sometimes i do duel at other spots because i get asked while i am at a specific spot, but I am not gonna stand there forever and have the lame acts and usually ask people to go somewhere where we do not interfere with other things.

Sorry that you are going through this situation.

Dueling does not contribute to the score nor is it constructive to the match. However, the players who participate in duels are often roamers who have more impact as individuals than a dozen players working together. For the time they are dueling, they are "wasting" space on a map. I say this because it is objectively true, not because I dislike dueling/duelists, I do it myself quite often.

Many players feel that duelers should be killed on sight because they are not helping others or not actively participating in capturing any objectives or killing other players. Although it is understandable to have such an opinion, some are extremely zealous about it and act as though duelists are criminals. Since WvW is essentially open world PvP however, I believe those who wish to interfere with the duels and those who wish to participate/spectate are all entitled to do as they please. There are no rules stating you can be punished for not being active. And someone who AFK's at spawn to leech participation will often do this repeatedly where as someone who spectates or participates in duels return to zerging or roaming when the dueling ends.

There are designated spots agreed upon by the roaming community for dueling that are mostly away from high traffic areas but spontaneous duels can happen anywhere. They often happen when two players respect each other after having a good fight and wish to try again, or when the fight is relatively long and they get to know each other during that fight. You cannot always know when a duel is taking place if it's in a random location so unfortunately, if you feel like helping you should always try to pay attention to how your teammate reacts when you join. If they pull back, they are dueling. Stow your weapons and pull back as well and hopefully the attacker stops.

Personally, I always allow a 1v1 to run it's course. I'm not obligated to help anymore than I am to watch. Most people feel good about themselves if they manage to win a 1v1 when they weren't dueling anyway and I like to let players enjoy the intensity of their fight. If my teammate goes down, I'll attempt to save them. If I'm attacked, I'm definitely sure it wasn't a duel.

Final note, a lot of duelists are salty because their fights will get interrupted repeatedly. Random passerby will jump in every few minutes sometimes, I can say this from experience. It gets frustrating sometimes so it's understandable for them to be a little wary of players who don't look like they have the intention of watching. Still, it doesn't give anyone any right to say or do anything rude like corpse jumping or being a general jerk. Unless a player is going out of their way to pester the duelers, random interruptions should always be expected. It should be as much a courtesy on behalf of the duelers as it is the ones trying to help to be respectful of their teammates activities as again, it is an open world PvP zone where you can do as you wish. The match is a week long, a handful of players not contributing for a little while won't ruin the match so there's no reason to scream "GO TO OBSIDIAN SANCTUM."

Also, if you are often being attacked by spectators there are a few possibilities:Guild tag, rank, past behavior around dueling circles, or just that those attacking you are being bullies seeing you as an easy kill instead of letting you watch. Sometimes players want to look tough in front of the others and will try to assert dominance by poking spectators or killing pugs. Not all duelists are rude but I assure you there are just as many unpleasant individuals in duels as there are in zergs.

I am limited with the time I can play in WvW. Goal is a legendary armor in 1-2 years, weekly personal goal 150 tickets (plat level 2). So I mostly start friday evening and finish around sunday/monday ... sometimes I cannot reach my personal goal at all. Since friday evening, I am mostly camping the [CENSORED] server, because it is often outnumbered and there are quite a lot people who seem to share the same fate as myself - on all three sides. So we take turns by claiming camps, sentries, monuments and even towers and keeps. Boring, tedious and annoying. The few rare battles on the map are duels, or at least people act like they are. I would rather do 100 JPs per week than this, but for GW2 PVE is raiding only.

Anyway, thank you. You solved a couple of question marks.

It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

The only people that I can think of that will gank anyone and everyone even at the dueling spot is SA and Sr guild from underworld (was last link up when they was with gandara). I have seen even the most dirty scumbag players when roam do all sorts of tricks but at that duel spot even they have some sort of respect.

Wvw is mostly huge blobs now, rarly seen small havoc grps going around flipping stuff while their main blob is somewhere else, it's just a whole map blob now and I see many of the. Duelers actually zerging a lot more then dueling.

I am 100% roamer, and I do lots of dueling. However, with that said, killing or jumping into a duel is fine, it's open world PvP, you DO NOT have to respect the duel. I get steam rolled all the time while dueling there, I just WP and run back, bit annoying, but oh well. With that said however, often times I see someone jump into a duel where the enemy dueling was 10% health and gets attacked by a random, the other person dueling backs off and the one at 10% health STILL kills the person who jumped in. This has little to do with build and far more to do with skill level, if you are running any build and jump in, they should in no way be killing you in "1/2 sec", you are face tanking and don't know how to 1vs1 fight even if you had the perfect 1vs1 build. Don't take that the wrong way, I just want you to understand and stop blaming builds. If you don't think it's skill level, put on a 1vs1 build and go duel some of them and let me know how it turns out. People duel because they KNOW they need to improve, it fine tunes your skills, rotations and counters etc.

Also, if you interrupt a duel, while its fine to do, don't get mad when those people remember you and attack you any time they see you in the area. And, just like it's ok for you to interrupt the duel, it's fine for them to kill you any time they can, passing by, capping the ruin, capping the camp etc etc, because again, it's open world PvP. If I want a fight that no one is going to interrupt I go windmill, which is the REAL dueling spot, people stick to the little island because of convenience and it's closer to everything, as well as having the sentry there that can be flipped in turns to keep pips going.

Most duelers you see spectating are not randoms, but other duelers, and duelers/roamers know each other, and often have a guild tag known for fighting, so they are left alone when they come to spectate. MOST duelers however, assuming you have not already been branded as someone who jumps into duels, will leave other people passing by alone, and just do their own thing.

Uuuuuuuuugh this again? Either you jump in and fight enemies or you respect the fight the two people have. If you die you die, if they hate you they hate you and if you win you win. It's not anymore complicated than that. Respect from your servermates is either earned or theirs to freely give.

It's got very little to do with attitude or etiquette at this point to be honest - most spectators will go for you simply to keep participation ticking, which they won't get either watching or fighting (since you don't stomp the opponent).

Either play the appropriate build or avoid the area, there's always other sentries and camps to capture.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:They do not seem to be a thing on every server, but there appears to be a community on some of the european servers. I am sort of frustrated at the moment, because almost every battle I have seen over the past three days appeared to be a duel. I want to do my dailies somehow and ... well I do WvW for the tickets ... participation.

What I know or at least believe to know:

• the official duel spot is on the small island with the sentry in Alpine Borderlands, north of the southern central camp

Dueling is not supported by this game. There is no official spot to duel.

There are several spots where duelers go, the spot you mentioned, another post mentioned the windmill spot. There's even a couple of spots in EBG.But these are all informal spots. Any rules about them are a consensus of the people taking part. Anyone not taking part is not bound in any way shape or form to adhere by any rules.Your confusion comes from the fact that you are interpreting a set of rules that simply do not exist.Until Arenanet actively supports the concept of duels with some kind of mechanics and rules, you are looking for structure where there is none. This is why you are frustrated.

@VDAC.2137 said:It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

Like custom arenas, EotM, OS, or the guild hall arenas?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@VDAC.2137 said:It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

Oh, I didn’t know that’s what EotM and custom arenas were for! And what is OS?

@VDAC.2137 said:

Oh, I didn’t know that’s what EotM and custom arenas were for! And what is OS?

Obsidian Sanctum. It’s the old jumping puzzle map which has a fairly large arena.

@mindcircus.1506 said:Your confusion comes from the fact that you are interpreting a set of rules that simply do not exist.Until Arenanet actively supports the concept of duels with some kind of mechanics and rules, you are looking for structure where there is none. This is why you are frustrated.

No matter what any one says, this is the only fact. The only rule in WvW that you need to follow is if it is red, it is open to being killed. That goes for you and anyone else. Everything you do in WvW should be based on this simple thing. Wanna duel? Sure, go for it but people can/will interrupt you. Wanna watch a duel? Sure, go for it but people can/will attack and interrupt you.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@"VDAC.2137" said:It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

Ppl like you never roamed...Atleast not in a way most of these "duelers" are roaming.Most of them are, or used to be (since roaming isnt much fun anymore) your normal smallscale player, flipping camps, killing dolyak etc solo.

They do their roaming stuff until they meet someone who gives a good fight, sometimes they kill each other and go on, sometimes they both want to repeat that fight, because they had fun, and want to improve their skill.

Almost nobody just has the intention of doing duels only in wvw, thats why your claimed duel spots are a wasteland.Duels mostly are spontaneous events. Not planned out beforehand.

Not to mention that you lose participation by going into eotm or OS, which on the duel spot can be kept going by simply killing the sentry, or by flipping the camp in the south.

Also, always keep in mind that while on of your players might be blocking a spot on your border, the same goes for his enemy, he binds atleast one enemy player at that spot, instead of him joining his squad, or wrecking your camps.

And the guild hall arena must be a joke on your part. Do you seriously blame ppl for not wanting to fight in that thing? Ive done it a few times with guildies and its a pain.You know why? Because it uses PVE balance. Its absolute garbage, ive won duels in there solely on the fact that retaliations hits like a truck in there and my opponent, who was mesmer, basically killed himself by just attacking me.

Edit: quoted the wrong guy, whoops

You are allowed to do anything you want with regards to this - you can watch, or you can attack. I've seen all sides of the coins when it comes to this. I've seen duelers pretending to be nice, only to have them gank you. I've seen people pretending to watch, only to stomp duelers that are downed. I've seen duelers that leave people they know alone, and just gank everyone else. I've seen the inexperienced thinking they are going to take on a duel mid fight when the guy was low, only to lose and get sieged by his own teamate. All in all it's just the wild wild west, you can choose to respect, watch, attack, anything. I will say it is nice to watch and learn though, take every opportunity to learn. I don't want dueling to die out or become rarer, so most of the time I would prefer to watch or leave them alone if I knew it was a duel, but I will always be ready in case it turns sour. It's just your call really, and if you want to attack you have to be confident in your skills.My advice though, even if that place looks like everyone is peaceful and friendly, the tables can turn quick and there's always someone with a ganking/trolling mindset hovering around, so yeah, always be on your toes.

I respect duels and the rules until recently.

Warclaw has drastically lowered numbers in the roaming scene and it gets me desperate for a fight.So desperate in fact that now I just jump in on the duel and then try to kill everyone watching.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.

@GaijinGuy.8476 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:I respect duels and the rules until recently.

Warclaw has drastically lowered numbers in the roaming scene and it gets me desperate for a fight.So desperate in fact that now I just jump in on the duel and then try to kill everyone watching.

Sounds like fun

eehhh.. Its desperation.Same thing goes for when I 1vZerg.. As long as I manage to down atleast 1 person then I take it as a win.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Sounds like fun

eehhh.. Its desperation.Same thing goes for when I 1vZerg.. As long as I manage to down atleast 1 person then I take it as a win.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Obsidian sanctum was modified specifically for GvG and duels. People dueling outside of any structures will always be identified as potential threats .To many "duelists" have been caught contesting and claim to be "just dueling" .So if you duel around any keeps ,towers or castles you will be a target for termination.No exceptions.

@"Mokk.2397" said:Obsidian sanctum was modified specifically for GvG and duels. People dueling outside of any structures will always be identified as potential threats .To many "duelists" have been caught contesting and claim to be "just dueling" .So if you duel around any keeps ,towers or castles you will be a target for termination.No exceptions.

What? No. I have had many duels between bay/breir and nothing was contested. Only way bay is going to get contested if you get too close to the archer. Also it's what time people duel at I mean sure at prime time you're just asking for a kicking but out side that no 1 should really bother them people

@GaijinGuy.8476 said:

Sounds like fun

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Modern problems need modern solutions.