Activity monitor - how many players online

@Zuldari.3940 said:

@"neoteo.3975" said:I believe having live data would bring more players, we live in information age, and these type of data engage users.

That's why most big MMO developers post their numbers right? Oh no wait, they don't.

This kind of data is only relevant to people who value playing the "hot game on the block" or are of somewhat relevance to financial performance. Given GW2 financial performance was good so far, the second aspect is answered by the quarterly financial reports which are openly available.

You are now faced with a choice: play the game if you enjoy it, or not if you do not enjoy it.

I agree looking for numbers takes away from the game. You should play if you like it, if all you are looking for is popularity then thats a shallow way to choose a game. Fortnight is popular but i cant stand that game.

Agree, those numbers for me would not be to judge if the game is good or not, it would be to find where players are, i like to be where everyone is.

@neoteo.3975 said:

@neoteo.3975 said:I believe having live data would bring more players, we live in information age, and these type of data engage users.

That's why most big MMO developers post their numbers right? Oh no wait, they don't.

This kind of data is only relevant to people who value playing the "hot game on the block" or are of somewhat relevance to financial performance. Given GW2 financial performance was good so far, the second aspect is answered by the quarterly financial reports which are openly available.

You are now faced with a choice: play the game if you enjoy it, or not if you do not enjoy it.

I agree looking for numbers takes away from the game. You should play if you like it, if all you are looking for is popularity then thats a shallow way to choose a game. Fortnight is popular but i cant stand that game.

Agree, those numbers for me would not be to judge if the game is good or not, it would be to find where players are, i like to be where everyone is.The problem is that a lot of people would use it for different purposes, and some of those purposes actively harm the game and its population.

There's a saying "never trust a statistic that you didn't forge yourself". In this age of internet and fake news it's more relevant than ever. You can bet that as soon as a game releases those numbers there will be people all over the place interpreting the numbers in weird ways and using them to proof one claim or another, like the usual "the game is dying" crowd. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there unable to interpret the numbers without bias or even to recognize the bias going into other people's interpretation.

Just look at all the doom and gloom postings out there that already happen with numbers like quarterly financial reports, steam logins, twitch viewers or whatever. Cold hard login numbers would likely not make them any rarer but rather add fuel to the fire and give those out to hurt the game (for whatever reason) even more tools to come up with (bogus or not) claims that the sky is falling.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:*snip

Consider this statement: "There can't be 7 billion people in the world because I always see the same people over and over again."

Does that sound like a rational, true statement?

It doesn't, because in real life you spend most of your time in a single city or two, unless your job makes you travel a lot, in which case, still can't compare to the way you travel in game. You can visit entire gw2 playable world within a day if you wished so.

@Trise.2865 said:

@"MetalGirl.2370" said:*snip

Consider this statement: "There can't be 7 billion people in the world because I always see the same people over and over again."

That's not even a proper comparison... it's not like I can choose to be in the UK, then port to Iceland, then to USA and to China after... and see the same people, obviously if you compare it to the real world it's different, duuuuh .... While in the game I can port and do whatever ... and yet... same people.Although, people are different, maybe the game is the world to you so you think that comparison suits what I said.

edit: Plus, did you even read what I even said in my post ? I never denied the existence of up to 11m accounts. The OP asked for "currently online players" number ... to which people started to talk about overall number of accounts and not CURRENTLY online ones. I did say that 11m number shouldn't trick people, NOT because it doesn't exist but rather because majority of those are, in fact, inactive and if we remove inactive ones, then majority of the remaining number is 2nd accounts or F2P ones.

That's not even a proper comparison... it's not like I can choose to be in the UK, then port to Iceland, then to USA and to China after... and see the same people, obviously if you compare it to the real world it's different, duuuuh .... While in the game I can port and do whatever ... and yet... same people.Although, people are different, maybe the game is the world to you so you think that comparison suits what I said.

edit: Plus, did you even read what I even said in my post ? I never denied the existence of up to 11m accounts. The OP asked for "currently online players" number ... to which people started to talk about overall number of accounts and not CURRENTLY online ones. I did say that 11m number shouldn't trick people, NOT because it doesn't exist but rather because majority of those are, in fact, inactive and if we remove inactive ones, then majority of the remaining number is 2nd accounts or F2P ones.

The point he is making is that with given:

• similar region
  • similar time zone
  • similar time of day
  • similar activity preference
  • etc.

The chance is very high you will eventually run into the same people. Especially in a megaserver system where we might not even know which other criteria (latency, area codes, etc.) might factor into the map pairing.

• similar region
  • similar time zone
  • similar time of day
  • etc.

The chance is very high you will eventually run into the same people. Especially in a megaserver system where we might not even know which other criteria (latency, area codes, etc.) might factor into the map pairing.

He is not making a point at all because in this aspect, world cannot be compared to a game.Also, none of what you just listed matters, they only ever said that home server matters and you are more likely to be ported into a map with people from your home server. Which, that also doesn't matter anymore after they added LFG, because you just join people on their maps, and again .. same people. Your home world has no meaning other than WvW and even that is going to change soon... which just makes me right .... - Why? - Because! They wouldn't be reworking the whole system, removing worlds (servers) in WvW if they had enough players to fill all these existing worlds....They even added world-merging because some were empty, which proves me right even more.

• similar region
  • similar time zone
  • similar time of day
  • etc.

He is not making a point at all because in this aspect, world cannot be compared to a game.Also, none of what you just listed matters, they only ever said that home server matters and you are more likely to be ported into a map with people from your home server. Which, that also doesn't matter anymore after they added LFG, because you just join people on their maps, and again .. same people. Your home world has no meaning other than WvW and even that is going to change soon... which just makes me right .... - Why? - Because! They wouldn't be reworking the whole system, removing worlds (servers) in WvW if they had enough players to fill all these existing worlds....They even added world-merging because some were empty, which proves me right even more.

and you omitted the part where you are paired with party members, guild members, people on your friends list, etc.

So about that knowledge of yours about how exactly you get paired, is that just fancy know-it-all-ism or do you actually have inside knowledge of how players get paired and how the megaserver system works? You don't seem like a developer to me, care to share?

Every item I listed matters. If you play at a certain time constantly, you will only encounter players active during that time period. Which given a 24 hour online game, can be as drastic and reduce the amount of players you can meet down to 1/4th or more without exaggerating. If you engage in the same activities on a regular basis, you are automatically more inclined to met people who play the same activities, case in point: if you never play fractals, that entire population and player base is invisible to you.

His statement was exactly meant how I understood it: your original statement was very imprecise and lacked a lot of essential factors which could easily push a perceived player base by a lot.

Over 11 million accounts, ok that is nice, number of players online at this precise moment, we don't know. This number will obviously go up and down for multiple reasons, if we want to speculate I would say it goes down to 10k sometimes and goes up to 500k maximum.

Anet your move! We want to know!

• Like 1

@serialkicker.5274 said:It doesn't, because in real life you spend most of your time in a single city or two, unless your job makes you travel a lot, in which case, still can't compare to the way you travel in game. You can visit entire gw2 playable world within a day if you wished so.

@MetalGirl.2370 said:

@MetalGirl.2370 said:*snip

That's not even a proper comparison... it's not like I can choose to be in the UK, then port to Iceland, then to USA and to China after...

Regardless of where you are in Tyria, you are still on your server.

• similar region
  • similar time zone
  • similar time of day
  • etc.

and you omitted the part where you are paired with party members, guild members, people on your friends list, etc.

So about that knowledge of yours about how exactly you get paired, is that just fancy know-it-all-ism or do you actually have inside knowledge of how players get paired and how the megaserver system works? You don't seem like a developer to me, care to share?

Every item I listed matters. If you play at a certain time constantly, you will only encounter players active during that time period. Which given a 24 hour online game, can be as drastic and reduce the amount of players you can meet down to 1/4th or more without exaggerating. If you engage in the same activities on a regular basis, you are automatically more inclined to met people who play the same activities, case in point: if you never play fractals, that entire population and player base is invisible to you.

His statement was exactly meant how I understood it: your original statement was very imprecise and lacked a lot of essential factors which could easily push a perceived player base by a lot.

I have my own guild which I share with my bf, and there's only 2 of us in it.On my friends list is my bf and my brother, brother has left the game about a year or so ago.So no, as far as I go, they got no one to pair me with unless it's a home server.... and like I said, that doesn't matter anymore, because I use LFG to do things, like anyone else, so I don't just remain on the map I'm put in by their system, I move elsewhere. So again, even if I do it, it's same people.But all of you are going to blindly defend them regardless ....I have 14.009h hours in the game, which I can bet is much more than you and the other guy combined so you probably log in for a little while and go off. You just do your thing and go off and not pay attention. I have all day to play games and I stay in GW, like I said, for hours and I don't do my things at set hours, so no, it's not like I play at X time to see same people. It varies and it's long play sessions.As for how I know how you get paired, when Anet was remaking the whole system with servers in open world and overflow maps, they literally said - you are more likely to be paired up with people from your server.And my statement was indeed very precise. Because the OP asked for current player count and said Anet seems to be hiding the number, to which I said the actual count of currently online players must be low so of course they will hide it. And all of you seem to be stuck on this "overall" number of accounts ever created, which is absurd thing to even care about or look at, as most of them are inactive. And there is a person here that said he has 6 accounts. So really, how many unique people is it in those 11m accounts you people talk about.Also to add, I mentioned DOTA not being able to pull 1m people at it's peak time. So what makes all of you think GW2 is more popular than one of the most popular games out there? Same goes for CSGO, Steam shows that CSGO pulls just over 500k players at its peak.... so again, what makes all of you think GW2 is more popular and draws more players at its peak time? Because that's what my initial answer was to - a person who thought it literally has 1.5-2m at the same time.

• Like 1

@neoteo.3975 said:

monthly log ins: ~ 1 mio playerslog ins together in the same time ~ 50 k - 250 k

i have 6 accounts ( 5 only for log in reward ) so i think in average every player owns 2-3 accounts :)

I only have 1 account and 1 character ?

:-(make more characters!!!!every character is worth a birthday booster + a daily chest ( add random jumping puzzle chest here)hophop create more characters ;)

@Trise.2865 said:

@serialkicker.5274 said:It doesn't, because in real life you spend most of your time in a single city or two, unless your job makes you travel a lot, in which case, still can't compare to the way you travel in game. You can visit entire gw2 playable world within a day if you wished so.

That's not even a proper comparison... it's not like I can choose to be in the UK, then port to Iceland, then to USA and to China after...

You're not, you just belong to a certain server and it only matters for WvW. Also displays it if you open an instance such as fractals, dungeons, etc. As for open world, it's just overflow maps that don't belong to any server in particular. That's why you'll even see people ask which server they should join, and people telling them that it doesn't matter except for WvW.

@Trise.2865 said:

Regardless of where you are in real world, you are still on planet Earth.

• similar region
  • similar time zone
  • similar time of day
  • etc.

I have my own guild which I share with my bf, and there's only 2 of us in it.On my friends list is my bf and my brother, brother has left the game about a year or so ago.So no, as far as I go, they got no one to pair me with unless it's a home server.... and like I said, that doesn't matter anymore, because I use LFG to do things, like anyone else, so I don't just remain on the map I'm put in by their system, I move elsewhere. So again, even if I do it, it's same people.

You do realize, no parameter is also a parameter right?

But all of you are going to blindly defend them regardless ....

As opposed to you blindly being a negative Nancy without any objective proof? Sure, we each have our burden to carry.

I have 14.009h hours in the game, which I can bet is much more than you and the other guy combined so you probably log in for a little while and go off. You just do your thing and go off and not pay attention. I have all day to play games and I stay in GW, like I said, for hours and I don't do my things at set hours, so no, it's not like I play at X time to see same people. It varies and it's long play sessions.

Yes, you do have me beat on hours played. By stay in GW you are refering to your afk being online? As to how active each of us is, I don't know. I have all raids clear, nearly all CMS clear (missing Dhuum since I never got around to do it), 1,400 LI, soon Fractal God, 32k AP (still missing 1k from dailies since I have been taking breaks in the past), only rank 1k in WvW and have been playing since 3 day pre launch. So don't know, maybe I do have a lot less experience in this game than you, or maybe a lot more, not sure how this is relevant to the discussion.

As for how I know how you get paired, when Anet was remaking the whole system with servers in open world and overflow maps, they literally said - you are more likely to be paired up with people from your server.

So you are more likely to get paired with your chosen pve server population, which automatically means you would not likely get to see players from other servers. How does this in any way support your point that you have a good overview? Also Arenanet employees giving a short overview of how pairing works is hardly any evidence of understanding or knowing how the system is designed. That's like saying: the developers said I can get a precursor out of the mystic forge, I now know exactly what my chance to get one is, how this chance is calculated and there are no unknown variables going into this calculation. In both cases you are vastly under-qualified to know anything as player.

And my statement was indeed very precise. Because the OP asked for current player count and said Anet seems to be hiding the number, to which I said the actual count of currently online players must be low so of course they will hide it. And all of you seem to be stuck on this "overall" number of accounts ever created, which is absurd thing to even care about or look at, as most of them are inactive. And there is a person here that said he has 6 accounts. So really, how many unique people is it in those 11m accounts you people talk about.

I never 1nce mentioned total accounts. I have been referring to active accounts the entire time. As to why companies do not share their numbers (not only Arenanet), because of people like you who latch on to everything negative they could find or misunderstand.

Also to add, I mentioned DOTA not being able to pull 1m people at it's peak time. So what makes all of you think GW2 is more popular than one of the most popular games out there? Same goes for CSGO, Steam shows that CSGO pulls just over 500k players at its peak.... so again, what makes all of you think GW2 is more popular and draws more players at its peak time? Because that's what my initial answer was to - a person who thought it literally has 1.5-2m at the same time.

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. Which number do you care about? Active players at the same point in time? Active players per day? Active players per week? Active players during off hours? You do realize that CS:GO and DOTA had and have multiple millions of active players when they pull 500k consistent players at a single point in time. The mere fluctuation of players would automatically mean that with 500k concurrent players you would need around 600-700k total players at a similar point in time for the number to not drop since players are constantly leaving and entering the game.

If GW2 has 250k concurrent active players, the game would require to have around 1-1.5 million active accounts seeing play on a minimum semi daily basis. That's all most people have said so far.

@Cyninja.2954 said:My play hours are relevant cuz it's not like I log in for 1-2 hours at the same time every day so that's why I might be seeing the same people, and no they are not AFK hours.

you said - If GW2 has 250k concurrent active players, the game would require to have around 1-1.5 million active accounts seeing play on a minimum semi daily basis. That's all most people have said so far.

As I said in some other reply, I never deny 1m+ somewhat active accounts. I have stated couple or so times already, that OP specifically asked for CURRENT players online. To which some other guy said its 1.5-2m, he didn't say if he meant current or occasionally active accounts ... but since he didn't specify, and OP asked for current, that means his reply was to current amount.I agree there could be close to 1m+ unique active accounts but I also said there is a person in this thread who said he has 6 accounts, so how many are really unique and not just belonging to players who already play the game... but no way that it goes over 100k online players at the SAME time unless it's a story patch or expansion (exp would probably pull around 500k+ players, like I said in my first reply in this thread)So you've been arguing with me here without even really reading what I said.And nothing I said was negative at all. I never said game was dying for you to say how I'm being negative. All I'm saying is - there could very well be 1m active accounts but again, like i said, you can scroll up and read OP, he asked for CURRENT, so the number of active accounts is not even part of this discussion but rather the number of people online at the same timeIf Anet wasn't struggling with players, they wouldn't allow F2P like they did even. They also wouldn't make skins on gemstore be some outrageous $20 if they believed that they have many people they can count on to buy gems, but instead rely on small amount of people who would pay $20 for a skin instead of converting gold to gems.

The currently active players will never be shown because it would show how low the playerbase currently is, I think we'd know if it were high, it's something they'd want to show off.Not sure where these 1.5-2m numbers are coming from, is that number of players including F2P that logged in once a year to see what it's about then left? Because if that is your guesses of truly active accounts must be some strong drugs involved in that thinking. We'd never hear the end of ArenaNet boasting about being the most active remaining MMO etc, because that is what happens. Good news is loud, bad or uninteresting news is quiet or hidden.

• Thanks 1

@neoteo.3975 said:Over 11 million accounts, ok that is nice, number of players online at this precise moment, we don't know. This number will obviously go up and down for multiple reasons, if we want to speculate I would say it goes down to 10k sometimes and goes up to 500k maximum.If i remember, the highest concurrent login number was around 490k. That was around the launch day, by the way - the game never managed to equal that later on.

@neoteo.3975 said:Would love to be able to see some players activities stats, why is this a secret?

Imagine if we can see how many players online in the whole game, and also on each map.

I don't understand the premise of the thread. What are you hoping to gain by seeing these statistics? How relevant are they to the game playing community? Would they really affect your playing of the game?

@kharmin.7683 said:

@neoteo.3975 said:Would love to be able to see some players activities stats, why is this a secret?

Imagine if we can see how many players online in the whole game, and also on each map.

I don't understand the premise of the thread. What are you hoping to gain by seeing these statistics? How relevant are they to the game playing community? Would they really affect your playing of the game?

Imagine if you cannot see who is online in your guild, knowing when more people play, obviously helps to create habits, if these numbers are available, we could build graphics and maybe organise our life's to play when most people do. Just like we do in our guilds. Knolage is power.

In the times we live in, not knowing this information is a crippled game design imo, remember this is a mmo, most people play gw2 because it's a mmo, what stands out in a mmo compared to non mmo? It is massively multiplayer. Knowing how massive it is, is very important, hiding that information does more damage than showing weak numbers imo. People are not dumb, if we consider people are smart as they are, we get respect and gain from that respect.

I'm sure we don't need to be shy of our numbers, many times the maps are full and we have massive groups of people playing for the same goal, in meta or world bosses, how many games in the world put that many people playing together in the same map? I think none.

• Like 1

If the same few people are playing...so few that one can recognize them every time, why are there ever additional maps to taxi to?Personally, I don't take the time away from playing to travel around a map to read every other player's name, much less memorize them all.

But, that's just me.

I think the important thing is that wherever I go, I find other players playing the game. Good enough for me.