Possibly an unpopular Opinion...

But one I think is right, which is why it's my opinion -

I don't really see the point of refusing to have low-level horse/camel style mounts. I really think these should exist just to add immersion to the world. They don't really need any special properties. Just a basic mount with some different skins available.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful what you wish for. PoF is needed for mounts and is all level 80 content. I don't imagine that the skyscale will be the last mount, since the game is basically mount skin fashion wars. And, like a lot of things in game that used to be available for all levels, that got changed to "level 80 only" or "must be x level to use", I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Must be level 15 to ride a raptormust be level 30 for a springerlevel 45 for a skimmer and rollerbeetlelevel 60 for a jackal and warclawlevel 75 for a griffonlevel 80 for skyscale and newer mounts

I imagine this is what they will get around to eventually, other wise some of the old mounts become redundant and never used. Newer mounts nearly always being better. It's safe to say we will get a water mount, maybe a couple different ones, because they can just reskin land mounts, and make them work underwater = gem store sales.They could actually do this and just make the skyscale actually fly, but I don't imagine that will happen, yet.

Give 3-4 points in core Tyria where people can get a free temporary Raptor mount (similar to the Skyscale and PoF mounts in respective content) so core accounts can see how mounts function to encourage PoF purchases.

No, to a baseline useless fluff mount. That's just redundant or covered by the Warclaw.

@"Ubi.4136" said:Be careful what you wish for. PoF is needed for mounts and is all level 80 content. I don't imagine that the skyscale will be the last mount, since the game is basically mount skin fashion wars. And, like a lot of things in game that used to be available for all levels, that got changed to "level 80 only" or "must be x level to use", I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Must be level 15 to ride a raptormust be level 30 for a springerlevel 45 for a skimmer and rollerbeetlelevel 60 for a jackal and warclawlevel 75 for a griffonlevel 80 for skyscale and newer mounts

I imagine this is what they will get around to eventually, other wise some of the old mounts become redundant and never used. Newer mounts nearly always being better. It's safe to say we will get a water mount, maybe a couple different ones, because they can just reskin land mounts, and make them work underwater = gem store sales.They could actually do this and just make the skyscale actually fly, but I don't imagine that will happen, yet.

Don't see why limiting mounts on low level characters is needed. Level 80's on those zones will be able to use them there so why not existing players who unlocked mounts on their main but are leveling an alt?

@Seera.5916 said:

@"Ubi.4136" said:Be careful what you wish for. PoF is needed for mounts and is all level 80 content. I don't imagine that the skyscale will be the last mount, since the game is basically mount skin fashion wars. And, like a lot of things in game that used to be available for all levels, that got changed to "level 80 only" or "must be x level to use", I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Don't see why limiting mounts on low level characters is needed. Level 80's on those zones will be able to use them there so why not existing players who unlocked mounts on their main but are leveling an alt?

Don't know if they would do that or not, but they keep making items and then adding level 80 restrictions to them, like the living world teleport scrolls or the griffon refuge one. People using them to get low level toons to those maps, than they change it to level 80 only. I imagine as they continue to add mounts, mounts will get more redundant, meaning, no need to ever use the low level mount because the newer mount does everything better (skyscale is pretty close to that already). So, I can see them adding a level restriction at some point to force at least some players to interact with the map content on lower maps, instead of everyone just using skyscale to bypass everything. I also imagine they will start adding mobs to the newer maps that will work like the anti-air bolt in wvw. Dismount players as they fly by. Kind of like the mobs did knocking us off our gliders in living season 3.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Give 3-4 points in core Tyria where people can get a free temporary Raptor mount (similar to the Skyscale and PoF mounts in respective content) so core accounts can see how mounts function to encourage PoF purchases.

No, to a baseline useless fluff mount. That's just redundant or covered by the Warclaw.

I mean fair enough, but does anyone really need to test a mount to figure out if that's something they would want? When I started GW2 I decided not to use a boost to 80 and unlock raptor as many suggested, but instead played my Ranger w/Signet of the Hunt until LV 80, and then unlocked the Raptor + Springer before starting HoT content.

But through all that time I saw people zipping past on their Raptors or leaping past me to the POI/Vistas on their Springers. I didn't need a test drive to decide "yeah, I want that".

Core Tyria does not require any mounts. All content there can be completed without them. Conversely, there is content in PoF which requires the very mounts that can be obtained in that expansion. The same thing can be said for gliding with HoT.

If players want mounts, then they should support the game studio and purchase the expansion to acquire them.

I think they should have rent a mounts for people that dont have pof , and f2p. They dont need anything fancy just put a vendor in that you can rent a no frills mount from for a certain amount of silver or gold. These wouldnt be permanent but would last an hour. I think that would go a long way to attracting new players and showing them that if they get pof they get even better mounts that do more. Longevity is the name of the game, you need new players or the game will start to stall, or go completely cash shop in order to maintain the game. New players attracted then buying expansions makes for more revenue

@Einlanzer.1627 said:But one I think is right, which is why it's my opinion -

I don't really see the point of refusing to have low-level horse/camel style mounts. I really think these should exist just to add immersion to the world. They don't really need any special properties. Just a basic mount with some different skins available.

Since access to mounts require purchase of PoF. And all you need to do is access first mission in PoF and raptor will be available to all your characters at any level.

Not sure who this will service? People who are playing GW2 for the first time and purchased PoF? That is an extremely small group.

@Tiviana.2650 said:I think they should have rent a mounts for people that dont have pof , and f2p. They dont need anything fancy just put a vendor in that you can rent a no frills mount from for a certain amount of silver or gold. These wouldnt be permanent but would last an hour. I think that would go a long way to attracting new players and showing them that if they get pof they get even better mounts that do more. Longevity is the name of the game, you need new players or the game will start to stall, or go completely cash shop in order to maintain the game. New players attracted then buying expansions makes for more revenue

I disagree. I feel that the model here is to offer the game f2p and showcase things that can be acquired by purchasing the full and/or expanded content. Giving mounts away for free (which is basically the suggestion here because gold is easy to come by in GW2) would dis-incentivize people from purchasing the expansions.

@Tiviana.2650 said:I think they should have rent a mounts for people that dont have pof , and f2p. They dont need anything fancy just put a vendor in that you can rent a no frills mount from for a certain amount of silver or gold. These wouldnt be permanent but would last an hour. I think that would go a long way to attracting new players and showing them that if they get pof they get even better mounts that do more. Longevity is the name of the game, you need new players or the game will start to stall, or go completely cash shop in order to maintain the game. New players attracted then buying expansions makes for more revenue

Rent-a-mounts are not necessary. Only my main account has the expansions, so when I'm playing on one of the alt accounts, people are zooming past or over me all the time. Or simply hopping up to a vista. The appeal of mounts is obvious, Anet need do nothing to promote them.

@Ubi.4136 said:I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

I imagine this is what they will get around to eventually

Absolutely not. Let's remember that it's almost certain the VAST majority of leveling characters nowadays are alts, not new players. By vast, I mean upwards of 80%. With the convenience we've all gotten used to since PoF came out, do you honestly think most players would level new alts if we DIDN'T have access to our mounts in core Tyria? I think that basically kills the idea of putting restrictions on them. I'd never level another character again if I had to go back to running around without mounts or gliders.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@"Cyninja.2954" said:Give 3-4 points in core Tyria where people can get a free temporary Raptor mount (similar to the Skyscale and PoF mounts in respective content) so core accounts can see how mounts function to encourage PoF purchases.

I mean fair enough, but does anyone really need to test a mount to figure out if that's something they would want? When I started GW2 I decided not to use a boost to 80 and unlock raptor as many suggested, but instead played my Ranger w/Signet of the Hunt until LV 80, and then unlocked the Raptor + Springer before starting HoT content.

But through all that time I saw people zipping past on their Raptors or leaping past me to the POI/Vistas on their Springers. I didn't need a test drive to decide "yeah, I want that".

Oh I fully agree.

I was just sticking to the spirit of the thread in what type of baseline mount might be acceptable.

I don't forsee them adding a basic non-PoF mount at least until they add another expansion. Right now PoF is the latest expansion with mounts as one of the number one selling points for it. They are not going to give that out for free because they want people to buy PoF. Maybe, but only maybe, they will consider something like this after they have moved past PoF and into a new expansion.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Einlanzer.1627 said:I do really think there should be a basic mount at this point that can be obtained prior to PoF/level 80.

Yes, my suggestion exactly. Something without special skills other than being faster than traveling on foot.
A horse
is what comes to mind. :)

ANet could add another tier to the core Tyrian Mastery Track.

There are NO LIVING horses in Tyria...so the answer to this is no, it's not necessary for Core Tyria to have a mount.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:Be careful what you wish for. PoF is needed for mounts and is all level 80 content. I don't imagine that the skyscale will be the last mount, since the game is basically mount skin fashion wars. And, like a lot of things in game that used to be available for all levels, that got changed to "level 80 only" or "must be x level to use", I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Don't know if they would do that or not, but they keep making items and then adding level 80 restrictions to them, like the living world teleport scrolls or the griffon refuge one. People using them to get low level toons to those maps, than they change it to level 80 only. I imagine as they continue to add mounts, mounts will get more redundant, meaning, no need to ever use the low level mount because the newer mount does everything better (skyscale is pretty close to that already). So, I can see them adding a level restriction at some point to force at least some players to interact with the map content on lower maps, instead of everyone just using skyscale to bypass everything. I also imagine they will start adding mobs to the newer maps that will work like the anti-air bolt in wvw. Dismount players as they fly by. Kind of like the mobs did knocking us off our gliders in living season 3.

Take a moment and think about what you said regarding ArenaNet restricting items to use by level 80's only. Why would an item that takes a player to a Level 80 zone be allowed to be used by a lower leveled player? It was probably an oversight at original release for that item to be used by a lower level character.

As for additional mounts...we may or may not see more, I think if we do it will be an underwater mount and that's it, there really is no reason for ArenaNet to add more mounts other than that with the introduction of the Skyscale(and each one is not better than the other, they all have their own niches and excel in one particular area).Remember though these are all just opinions and no one but ArenaNet themselves knows the future(in regards to GW2 that is).