Recent PvP Queuing Instability

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey everyone. Just wanted to put up a quick note that we are actively investigating the issue with getting stuck unable to queue up for PvP matches. This bug is something that would come up occasionally in the past.

A bit of simplified explanation: For a currently unknown reason, players are sometimes not removed from the roster (group) they were in during a PvP match. Then, when you try to queue up, the system sees that you're in an active roster and decides to do nothing. As this used to be somewhat rare, we created some scripts that comb the system looking for old rosters and clear them out, which would fix the problem. These scripts can only be run so often and against rosters of a certain age, since the automated tournament system keeps players in the same roster for longer periods and we don't want to destroy those rosters.

In the last 2-3 weeks, the frequency of this bug has gone up dramatically and we're not sure why, though we have some thoughts on ways to work around it. We're currently in the process of building some additional logging to further help us track down the issue.

We understand that this is extremely frustrating, it is for us as well. We'll keep you updated as we get more information.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i appreciate that it is at least acknowledged now, it is too late. The fact that it took over two weeks for this to be even mentioned by a developer, considering it ruined the end of the season for a significant number of people is still blatantly disrespectful and absurd.

Despite the many awesome and wonderful things ArenaNet does in different areas, 0/10 on the way your team has managed this issue, with zero regards to ArenaNet's consumers.

Personally, i'm offended by the way the community was threated, considering i have invested money, have brought people in and have spent over 6000 hours into this game myself.

Shame.

@Leeches.7126 said:please fix my account its been bugged since 4.30 its now 11pm. I keep checking every few hours and its still broken. Is this just my account from now on? If so can i get a refund for everything?

You (and anybody else in your situation) won't get any refund most likely, but you can open a ticket to be able to queue again, despite it will take some days to get addressed due to Support response times.

Great start to the season, being unable to even queue for PVP. This needs to be fixed asap!

UPDATE: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

Yeh, same issue here....

Seems a bulk of us have had this happen at the same time - I was playing several matches prior and all of a sudden I could not cue for the next. Funny enough it came after a 501 to 499 victory if this information is of any use.

My gut feeling is that this is some intentional sabotage "trick" that few players know - that is, they get salty for losing a match and do "something" that locks everyone else in that roster and unable to cue. The only variable between matches is different players, and the rarity of occurrences suggests it might be player behavior causing it.

I don't know for certain, but maybe they terminate their internet connection during final scoreboard or something.... i got no idea, but I would be thinking along these lines. Anyway, hope it's fixed soon.

Cheers

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Hey everyone. Just wanted to put up a quick note that we are actively investigating the issue with getting stuck unable to queue up for PvP matches. This bug is something that would come up occasionally in the past.

A bit of simplified explanation: For a currently unknown reason, players are sometimes not removed from the roster (group) they were in during a PvP match. Then, when you try to queue up, the system sees that you're in an active roster and decides to do nothing. As this used to be somewhat rare, we created some scripts that comb the system looking for old rosters and clear them out, which would fix the problem. These scripts can only be run so often and against rosters of a certain age, since the automated tournament system keeps players in the same roster for longer periods and we don't want to destroy those rosters.

In the last 2-3 weeks, the frequency of this bug has gone up dramatically and we're not sure why, though we have some thoughts on ways to work around it. We're currently in the process of building some additional logging to further help us track down the issue.

We understand that this is extremely frustrating, it is for us as well. We'll keep you updated as we get more information.

Give the bug dishonored stacks for queue dodging.

@"MissCee.1295" said:UPDATE: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

Try this, people. Sounds like a much faster workaround than waiting for Anet to squash the bug.

This happened to me for the first time tonight. I am glad to hear it's a known glitch. When I asked about it in the PvP lobby, multiple players told me I was a "known afker and DCer" and couldn't join because I had been banned. That's not true, and it left me paranoid I'd been punished for something false.

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey everyone. Just wanted to give an update on this bug. We have a potential "bulwark" to the problem currently in testing. While not a fix, our hope is that it will reduce the time someone experiences the problem from potentially hours to minutes. Once this has gone through enough testing, we hope to be able to deploy it soon.

As far as real fix, it's a very difficult problem for us to track down. It's not something we've been able to reproduce internally and only seems to happen in a live environment with normal server load. We're hoping at that as we add more logging, we'll find a long term solution.