Possibly an unpopular Opinion...

@Einlanzer.1627 said:But one I think is right, which is why it's my opinion -

I don't really see the point of refusing to have low-level horse/camel style mounts. I really think these should exist just to add immersion to the world. They don't really need any special properties. Just a basic mount with some different skins available.

I would enjoy a horse mount...

..but how would this add immersion?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cameryn.5310 said:

@"Ubi.4136" said:I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Must be level 15 to ride a raptormust be level 30 for a springerlevel 45 for a skimmer and rollerbeetlelevel 60 for a jackal and warclawlevel 75 for a griffonlevel 80 for skyscale and newer mounts

I imagine this is what they will get around to eventually

Absolutely not
. Let's remember that it's almost certain the VAST majority of leveling characters nowadays are alts, not new players. By vast, I mean upwards of 80%. With the convenience we've all gotten used to since PoF came out, do you honestly think most players would level new alts if we DIDN'T have access to our mounts in core Tyria? I think that basically kills the idea of putting restrictions on them. I'd never level another character again if I had to go back to running around without mounts or gliders.

I would bet that almost all of these alts are people getting their weekly free keys for story line. Anet has already put a dent in earning rewards pre-level 80 in a lot of places. I am not saying they are gonna do this, cause I honestly wouldn't know, but I can see them doing this eventually. There is little chance they are going to abandon the "make new mounts to sell skins" concept, so mounts are starting to get redundant. There is certainly precedent for them deciding we weren't playing the game the way they intended, and forcing a change on the playerbase. When people start to choose one mount only, and use it to bypass most content, I can see this happening.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@DeanBB.4268 said:That would be the Warclaw.

Not by design, but if you don't want to boost to 80 or spoil the story by starting the 1st mission, the Warclaw is your only alternative, as you are boosted to LV 80 while in WvW. Takes longer to get than a Raptor, but the choice is there.

An experienced player could take you to get your mount at any level if you own PoF. I've taken many new players to get their mount even at level 14 or 15.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Must be level 15 to ride a raptormust be level 30 for a springerlevel 45 for a skimmer and rollerbeetlelevel 60 for a jackal and warclawlevel 75 for a griffonlevel 80 for skyscale and newer mounts

Absolutely not
. Let's remember that it's almost certain the VAST majority of leveling characters nowadays are alts, not new players. By vast, I mean upwards of 80%. With the convenience we've all gotten used to since PoF came out, do you honestly think most players would level new alts if we DIDN'T have access to our mounts in core Tyria? I think that basically kills the idea of putting restrictions on them. I'd never level another character again if I had to go back to running around without mounts or gliders.

I would bet that almost all of these alts are people getting their weekly free keys for story line. Anet has already put a dent in earning rewards pre-level 80 in a lot of places. I am not saying they are gonna do this, cause I honestly wouldn't know, but I can see them doing this eventually. There is little chance they are going to abandon the "make new mounts to sell skins" concept, so mounts are starting to get redundant. There is certainly precedent for them deciding we weren't playing the game the way they intended, and forcing a change on the playerbase. When people start to choose one mount only, and use it to bypass most content, I can see this happening.

@Ubi.4136 said:

@Ubi.4136 said:I imagine at some point they will do the same thing with mounts to maintain that some of the population still uses each mount type.

Absolutely not

I'd be willing to wager this isn't the case. That is, I don't think the majority of the population key farms, and since each player who does can only do it once a week, it's unlikely that this is the case. Plenty of new and returning players all the time. I don't key farm but I have 43 alts.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:I do really think there should be a basic mount at this point that can be obtained prior to PoF/level 80.

Yes, my suggestion exactly. Something without special skills other than being faster than traveling on foot.
A horse
is what comes to mind. :)

ANet could add another tier to the core Tyrian Mastery Track.

There are NO LIVING horses in Tyria...

Nonsense. See screenshot below. The reason we don't SEE any is that the designers knew that, had they implemented them as ambient creatures, players would not have stopped begging for the abiliity to ride them. And, as you know, mounts were only introduced to the game 5 years after release. That would have been 5 years of constant annoying begging for mounts.

niczBVr.jpg

@Ashantara.8731 said:Nonsense. See screenshot below. The reason we don't SEE any is that the designers knew that, had they implemented them as ambient creatures, players would not have stopped begging for the abiliity to ride them. And, as you know, mounts were only introduced to the game 5 years after release. That would have been 5 years of constant annoying begging for mounts.Except few wanted mounts. We didnt care. Why? Because you still literally run faster than a centaur on comparably small maps. A mount was never seen as something needed and ambient horses wouldnt have changed anything anything more than the presence of centaurs or dollys did.

Besides, now that we have mounts people seem intent on constantly and annoyingly beg for horses.

@Ashantara.8731 said:Nonsense. See screenshot below.

Knowing what horses are and them being real are two different things. We all know what a Charr or a Dragon is, don't we?

The reason we don't SEE any is that the designers knew that, had they implemented them as ambient creatures, players would not have stopped begging for the abiliity to ride them. And, as you know, mounts were only introduced to the game 5 years after release. That would have been 5 years of constant annoying begging for mounts.

Yeah, wonder what that's like... *looks at old threads doing exactly that for the entire history of the forums...

Horses may not be visible in game but they are there and the NPCs know what they are. They are well known enough for Caithe, Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone to recognize them on sight.

[Horse]

The earliest records of horses show that they existed on Cantha during the reign of Emperor Kaineng Tah. According to Loremaster Ermenred, the emperor was renowned for his horseback riding but died under mysterious circumstances while hunting in 464 BE with reports claiming that his horse had gone wild and killed him.

As humanity expanded from Cantha to Orr and Kryta, they used horses for various tasks in their new colonies as well, though it is unclear whether they brought horses with them or if horses were native in other lands. Both Orrians and Krytans were known to have horses for riding as well, both in military and leisure use in the case of the latter. Mad King Thorn is known to have had many horsemen under his command in life and undeath. It is unclear whether Ascalonians or Elonians ever had horses in their nations; however, they have made occasional references to them so it is clear they knew of horses at the very least. Similarly, Elonians have in the past enslaved centaurs to work them in the same manner as they worked horses.

In 1319 AE, Caithe, Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone used an old asura gate to flee from Destroyers in dwarven ruins. While calibrating the gate to take them to a safe location, they saw glimpses of other Tyrian regions, including a grassy plain with what they identified as wild horses. As recently as 1325 AE, Krytans used equines to pull carts and carriages in Queensdale.

My opinion is that gw2 didn’t have visible horses as part of a running joke. The horses are in game but always just out of sight, just around the corner and only seen by NPCs. Nothing deeper than that and since they now can be monetized they can be visibly added to the game if ANet wants without breaking lore.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Not by design, but if you don't want to boost to 80 or spoil the story by starting the 1st mission, the Warclaw is your only alternative, as you are boosted to LV 80 while in WvW. Takes longer to get than a Raptor, but the choice is there.

An experienced player could take you to get your mount at any level if you own PoF. I've taken many new players to get their mount even at level 14 or 15.

Dident they remake it so only level 80s could start the pof story?

@Cyninja.2954 said:Give 3-4 points in core Tyria where people can get a free temporary Raptor mount (similar to the Skyscale and PoF mounts in respective content) so core accounts can see how mounts function to encourage PoF purchases.

No, to a baseline useless fluff mount. That's just redundant or covered by the Warclaw.

There are already rental mounts in core Tyria, at the Roller Beetle Racing points.

@"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:Horses may not be visible in game but they are there and the NPCs know what they are. They are well known enough for Caithe, Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone to recognize them on sight.

[Horse]! > >The earliest records of horses show that they existed on Cantha during the reign of Emperor Kaineng Tah. According to Loremaster Ermenred, the emperor was renowned for his horseback riding but died under mysterious circumstances while hunting in 464 BE with reports claiming that his horse had gone wild and killed him.! >! > >As humanity expanded from Cantha to Orr and Kryta, they used horses for various tasks in their new colonies as well, though it is unclear whether they brought horses with them or if horses were native in other lands. Both Orrians and Krytans were known to have horses for riding as well, both in military and leisure use in the case of the latter. Mad King Thorn is known to have had many horsemen under his command in life and undeath. It is unclear whether Ascalonians or Elonians ever had horses in their nations; however, they have made occasional references to them so it is clear they knew of horses at the very least. Similarly, Elonians have in the past enslaved centaurs to work them in the same manner as they worked horses.! >! > >In 1319 AE, Caithe, Logan Thackeray and Rytlock Brimstone used an old asura gate to flee from Destroyers in dwarven ruins. While calibrating the gate to take them to a safe location, they saw glimpses of other Tyrian regions, including a grassy plain with what they identified as wild horses. As recently as 1325 AE, Krytans used equines to pull carts and carriages in Queensdale.! >! > My opinion is that gw2 didn’t have visible horses as part of a running joke. The horses are in game but always just out of sight, just around the corner and only seen by NPCs. Nothing deeper than that and since they now can be monetized they can be visibly added to the game if ANet wants without breaking lore.

Thank you! <3 I hate it when people insist that horses are neither known nor exist in Tyria. :angry:

I don't really see the point of refusing to have low-level horse/camel style mounts. I really think these should exist just to add immersion to the world. They don't really need any special properties. Just a basic mount with some different skins available.

Two reasons really

1. No matter how simple the idea they cost dev time and production
  2. Alternatives to your idea could exist, but the exact idea not, as horses are only depicted (even in game) only in folklore and legend. The horse in gw2 is quite the equivalent of our unicorn

@Ashen.2907 said:

horses are only depicted (even in game) only in folklore and legend. The horse in gw2 is quite the equivalent of our unicorn

What about all of the examples given demonstrating that this is inaccurate?

I only see examples of people arguing horses either don't exist, or have gone extinct prior to gw1.So, which example are you referring to?

But the in-existence of horses is something that has been established a looong time ago, so its not even up to debate really.That said, there are great alternatives, like the sand gazelles, dolyaks, and lord Faren

@"Einlanzer.1627" said:But one I think is right, which is why it's my opinion -

The short answer no.

The longer answer is that mounts change how a player traverses a map and consumes content. The core game was firstly not designed with these in mind so using them tends to trivilize content to an extent though in this aspect it could be considered fine as players who are using them in theory should have played through the core game during the leveling process. This also brings the point of experiencing the game without the mounts, a player who has not experience the game without mounts does not get the same appriciation from them as a player who has. On the marketing aspect that has been brought up in this thread that is also not relavent as players will see the usefulness and the "cool factor" of all these mounts that "everyone" around them has but they do not and be drawn to looking into getting PoF. So in that sense it sells itself.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

horses are only depicted (even in game) only in folklore and legend. The horse in gw2 is quite the equivalent of our unicorn

What about all of the examples given demonstrating that this is inaccurate?

I only see examples of people arguing horses either don't exist, or have gone extinct prior to gw1.So, which example are you referring to?

But the in-existence of horses is something that has been established a looong time ago, so its not even up to debate really.That said, there are great alternatives, like the sand gazelles, dolyaks, and lord Faren

You said only in folklore or legend. Sightings, or historical references are neither of those.

And I would pay for the ability to use existing NPCs, such as Faren, as mounts.

Horses really aren't a GW2 thing. I do think that new players who want to start the game from the personal story rather than jumping into PoF should be giving a basic mount. Given the restrictions and no major PvE lore attached to it; the warclaw would make a good mount for that if it were unlocked for all players.

@Linken.6345 said:

Dident they remake it so only level 80s could start the pof story?

Yes, that's why I take people through it. Anyone can participate as long as a level 80 starts it. I've done it within the last few weeks.

I would like this mount to be officially a Asura Hologram Mount. The purpose of this mount is to have as low animation requirement and have as much skin potential as possible. This way, we can have a car, horse, moa, ridable charr-slave, or whatever. By making it a hologram, it is loreful that anything can be a mount. Extinct horses can come back because its a hologram of a horse.