Desert BL - Is it Time To Remove It?

Ni In.6578

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Doug.4930 said:

Mobs in desert BL aren’t that powerful wth...

It’s the alpine and eb that are way to scrub friendly...

Its open world pvp, I don't want mobs that can greatly impact a fight to be a factor. The mobs in alpine and EB are perfect because they stand as a way to stop solo players/smallgroups instantly capping objectives, but are weak enough as to not affect player vs player fighting. The lord in the lava keep for instance has a ridiculous amount of AOE crowd control which greatly impacts fights in the lords room.

If I want to pve, I'd go and play pve. This is open world pvp not a dungeon. This was the reason everyone hated it in the first place, too much annoying pve.

@Aeolus.3615 said:Maybe Eb and alpine need a new map as well.

No god please no. I was onboard for new maps before the abomination that was the old desert BL came out. Please not again. Please.

I do agree with that as well, but if they changed the game a little bit, and given the right mechanics for decent wvw gameplay I think new maps could be done, but this is if only Anet knew to deploy mechanics that are jus aoe spam skills....If they had decent intentions of bringing decent gameplay and behavior ofc...

I'd be more willing to go to this map if it didnt drop my framerate so much and make me lag out. I see all the sparkles in the air in the middle area and wonder if removing that garbage would help.It'd still be my least favourite map and if more people feel the same way it might be generally helpful to make green have it instead of red. Moving up a tier to be awarded with no one being willing to defend really doesn't seem appealing.

Incidentally, regardless of a vote, player activity records of each map show just how unfavoured it is.

desert bl is not a bad map.. what i like about it is the number of high terrains available there, which can make possible some clutch kills (like guardian hammer golfing, or even just pushing or throwing away (warrior skill with boots)).

what they need to do is to make a new bl map so the 3 bls will be distinct.

@"Kylden Ar.3724" said:Wow, bet those poll results were not what OP expected.Are they ever?

Its like...

"The community hate DBL, no one wants it!" poll shows a majority wants it"Mounts have killed the game, revert!" poll show a majority want to keep it"Stealth ruins everything!" poll show a majority think its fine"Mirage OP!" necro voted most common roamer

I've always liked desert border land even before the changes.I would like to see other borderlands on rotation.Jungle borderland ,Swamp borderland and an underworld borderland for example. Maybe some weird ones like a dessert borderland with ginger bread houses and giant ice cream cones and parfaits.Mix it up for more variety.

I prefer the mobs and lord of tower and keeps in desert borderland compared to alpine boarder. The lords have flavor to them rather than just being a punching bag with a big hp bar. The guards of the different towers and keeps are different and themed after said structure which i find is a nice touch.

Seen some complains about the the fire keep lord in this thread however I've never really had too much trouble with it, a knockdown or fear from time to time however it does not compare to the impassable circle of the air keep lord which I think could need some tweaking.

I like desert map and don't find it any more difficult to get to our stuff timely than the alpine maps. My main complaint about all of the maps apart from pathing issues with my porting skills and that much of the maps aren't used because WvW is more of a large arena match than open world is that we don't get the awesome expansion music.

@Kylden Ar.3724 said:Wow, bet those poll results were not what OP expected.

Just one of those forum screamers that is still po'ed with the originally devastating poll that allowed Desert BL to become part of wvw. They were so sure that the poll would go overwhelmingly in their favor, then mad as hell when they were proven completely wrong.

This is probably just one of those people that is still determined that they were correct back then.

And then they do a poll and are laughingly proven wrong, yet again.

It's actually kind of entertaining, in a weird sort of way. ;)

Plus, all of the original complaints with Desert BL are now completely irrelevant, since there are mounts out there, now.

I don't play WvW much but when I do it's usually on DBL.

It's my personal favorite map but that's likely down to it just being newer and different.Back in the day I had to do WvW for map completion and one of the things I always despised with a passion was the fact that there were 3 identical maps that all had to be completed.By the time WvW was taken away from World completion requirement i'd already come to utterly hate the original 3 WvW maps with a passion.Even today I can't play on them long before I just start to feel sick and tired of their scenery and just general bland uglliness..

I know it seems harsh but I just don't like them lolGetting DBL was a real breath of fresh air for me, far more attractive map with far more interesting elements to it.I expect more familiar WvW players can argue many good points and criticisms as to why they think it's a bad map and hell they're probably right about it being a bad map lolBut they still have 3 other maps to play on, 2 of which are identical so if they don't like DBL they can just avoid it at the end of the day.Personally I think we should get rid of another of the duplicate maps and replace it again with an entirely new map giving WvW a nice rounded out 4 different maps total and rotate the colours.

That's just my opinion though.

@"LaGranse.8652" said:I prefer the mobs and lord of tower and keeps in desert borderland compared to alpine boarder. The lords have flavor to them rather than just being a punching bag with a big hp bar. The guards of the different towers and keeps are different and themed after said structure which i find is a nice touch.

Seen some complains about the the fire keep lord in this thread however I've never really had too much trouble with it, a knockdown or fear from time to time however it does not compare to the impassable circle of the air keep lord which I think could need some tweaking.

In a zerg fight it would be fine, or when Its just the mob alone its fine.But when 5 players are fighting another 5 players, and one group is getting constantly fear AOE'd every 15 seconds it makes a WORLD of difference. I've won 5v10 in that lords room solely because of that mob, and how it constantly cc'd the enemy and forced them to use stun breakers to stay alive, thus putting them on cool down.I'd rather a more fair and competitive environment over "flavor" any day.But I actually do enjoy roaming the desert bl. The pve mobs being too strong is really my only grip with the map now.

@Teratus.2859 said:I expect more familiar WvW players can argue many good points and criticisms as to why they think it's a bad map and hell they're probably right about it being a bad map lol

Sadly, for a lot of them anything that's not an empty open field is a bad map.

@Teratus.2859 said:Personally I think we should get rid of another of the duplicate maps and replace it again with an entirely new map giving WvW a nice rounded out 4 different maps total and rotate the colours.

I agree. Having four distinct maps with their own specific flavours would be great and it would add a little bit of variety to WvW, although it's clearly time for an overhaul of the Alpine and EBG map.