No more language specific servers

DamiVlad.2689

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree.

Sure, I'm definetely not the representative of the community. But the players already have the option to leave for greener fields, even if they are not on a [DE] server. Yet, DE servers are still mostly full or highly populated.

There are players and guilds who want to play at top tier and doing whatever they can to get there. I'm fine with that. But while top guilds are important they are not the representative of the community either.

But I'm not a competitive player. I'd rather win a T5 matchup then get smashed to pulp in T1. Hint: the amount of loot does not scale with the tier your server is in.

And again: population wise I do not see a problem. Top guilds may be missing, but I don't see a half full non-international server coming in the near future*. Fewer, probably. But they are going to be as big as international ones. Maybe not capable of raising to and playing in the top tier without those pro guilds. But not everyone wants to anyway. It takes a certain play style and discipline to play top tier. This is not everyone's cup of tea.

(*): with the possible exception of Spanish players. There is currently only one [sP] server and if that one loses players to international servers their community might suffer.

im not afraid because of language hurdles, we already got smaller servers i.e. Millersund DE , who are just nothing more then linking partners to others evidently bigger servers (the calculation is strange) and if you removing the language restriction then i think it will promote servers transfers even more, then now.

the server tranfers should be restricted harder, so the balance over time would not hurt, when you plan to soften the server structures.if a complete WvW server composite is picking out the raisins and transfer from here to there, then the balance getting lost (like today).its not about points in WvW, because they already equipped and coordinated. the key would be to limit the transfer time with a longer period for the complete account, not just char based.

we saw that problem in other titles before i.e. DAoC (Dark Age of Camelot)

Doesnt fix anything in WvW and will just have a negative effect, nothing stops people from transferring for 500gems/130g And I dont want to play with french people who yell "J'ai payé le jeu, je parle français si je veux" or likeminded people like that, Almost just like Ranger lovers :)

Even putting appart the drama potencial, I love this idea!And to remember people, Russian never had any problem leading open in russian on sfr at the time. If you wanna follow you'll understand infis quite enough!Ping structure, numbers and colors aren't difficult so scouts info won't be an issue.

The only issue are gonna be people egos :D

Really happy about that announcement :P

Three things:

Baruch Bay may now finally get a link as there was never a second Spanish language server. Unfortunately, Baruch Bay still can't be locked because new Spanish players can't be forced onto non-Spanish servers. (By the way, with ~88% of the world's Spanish speakers in the Americas, why is Baruch Bay part of the EU group?)

One of the 2 French servers will no longer need to be paired with 2 of the 3 French links. One of those links will definitely now go to a non-French server.

This move is probably aimed at delaying server consolidation with its associated game-is-dying stigma. Of course, Alliances (if they're ever actually implemented) will be server consolidation with a different name. In other words, this move may help to postpone Alliances.

@Dawdler.8521 said:The majority of people will leave a deadlock where they cant win.

...checks to see if the German, French and Spanish server players all moved to Vabbi...

Nope.

... anyway, this change should herald the first of the MEGA-GUILDS, if nothing else than to have a (insert nation) language chat channel. Ways around this include allowing players to create their own chat channels, like they could in other games dating way back to the 2000s.

@"PixelJaeger.2403" said:"Blue Home: 5 reds @ WT, 1 cata" should be understandable by almost everyone

Yes, because WT is the abbreviation used in each language. Not. ;) Besides, I don't know about American servers, but the German ones are full of lively verbal communication as well. All will become very quiet when those shy to use their broken (if even existent) English are silenced by the change, especially when they don't know the English callouts for location with whose names they were previously 100% familiar. We have had non-German comms leading, and it always was just a handful of people talking while the rest remained unusually quiet.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"PixelJaeger.2403" said:"Blue Home: 5 reds @ WT, 1 cata" should be understandable by almost everyone

Yes, because WT is the abbreviation used in each language. Not. ;) Besides, I don't know about American servers, but the German ones are full of lively
verbal
communication as well. All will become very quiet when those shy to use their broken (if even existent) English are silenced by the change, especially when they don't know the English callouts for location with whose names they were previously 100% familiar. We have had non-German comms leading, and it
always
was just a handful of people talking while the rest remained unusually quiet.But we do have commanders on the german servers now. I sure hope they won't just all stop commanding after the next linking ;) . And if they do, who is to tell them they have to command in english? If the linkings work out there should be opportunities for public leads in all associated languages.

Long overdue. I've always felt the eu links to be some what crippled by the necessary links by language.To be honest, there's plenty of non-english speakers on the na servers. If they run open, most of them have basic command of english, if they run closed they use their language and are still able to communicate with the maps in english. It's not that hard, it's not like there's a huge pool of english words on map and team chats. It's actually pretty basic english.

Also, i've heard people from all over europe on the "international" eu servers. Sure, they speak with an accent, even the british at times (we can't expect them all to be posh, cant we?).Are you telling me, that in the vast majority of european countries, people up to a certain age, on this day and age, don't have a reasonable command of english as a foreign language? What do you people learn in school?

@meixing.5439 said:Are you telling me, that in the vast majority of european countries, people up to a certain age, on this day and age, don't have a reasonable command of english as a foreign language? What do you people learn in school?

Not all people NEED to use foreign language at work (the majority don't have to), so even if they learned it at school, most forget it over time.So yes, many ppl don't understand english at all (or very few words).

@Rasimir.6239 said:But we do have commanders on the german servers now. I sure hope they won't just all stop commanding after the next linking ;) . And if they do, who is to tell them they have to command in english? If the linkings work out there should be opportunities for public leads in all associated languages.

I agree. Commanders will continue to lead in german, spanish or french anyways.Just coordination would be a bit difficult at the beginning..

@bluberblasen.9684 said:

@Widmo.3186 said:So far all nations (except for Spanish, German and French) could work together and speak universal (English) language. Why would those big three not adapt and open their
written language
to others? What, is it too hard to speak not native one or just shameful using any other language? Lmao.

its very easy - they DONT WANT TO.source: i'm german

I see the biggest problem in the french server. France have some history about languages and that they refuse to use english even if they could...

I don't know if its a good idea... I know a bunch of ppl from several games that played on an international english speaking server (german/french and spanish among) with language english used. As long as everyone tried speak in English things went fine. As soon as you entered as English speaker on any national server, oooh the rages and cursing and idk what. They wanted to get rid of you as soon as possible.... In GW2 I have seen ppl talk in pvp in french/spanish in pvp matches commanding ppl what to do and I only ended up saying, I don't know "insert language"... It just became one big mess that didn't work at all... The ones on national server play with a client in their language and tend to act as if they own that specific server (even if its a multiserver which is every language together)....

Most countries do indeed get English very early on at school and will do fine (they mostly already play in English language)... The ones that don't, simply don't want to adapt to international. These play on national server in their language settings and / or are the ones crying they want game in their own language.

@"kafka.1657" said:

By the way, with ~88% of the world's Spanish speakers in the Americas, why is Baruch Bay part of the EU group?)

This is the most absurd question I've read in a forum. Spain is an EU country, you know? And most of players in BB are Spanish. Just happens that habits and work schedules avoid us to play in same Prime Time as others. Simple.

Seriously, I'm sick to read this bullshit about "BB is full of Mexicans". This is racist.

Said this (and I hope any moderator dares to delete this post, 'cos then I'll have to consider if writing directly to Arenanet about allowing this toxic attitude in the official forums), the removal of language specific servers should happen since the first moment Arenanet decided to go into the World Linking. It was a ridiculous mistake to not do it, 'cos actually you can see many servers in WvW (specially in EU) where populations are totally messed 'cos being attached to a rule (the language) that stopped having a meaning to be in WvW after megaservers were released for PvE. The excuse of these servers still existing was PvE, and since this stopped to happen THREE years ago, this had to change by then too. It didn't 'cos laziness... it's the only valid reason I find, tbh.

With all, this isn't what community is waiting. I'll add that Alliances either. They won't change anything, 'cos the problems will remain.

Really, why is this even an issue? We've been playing on international megaservers for years already. It will be just the same as in PvE. Sure, there are indeed some people who really cannot understand complex explanations in English, but how often are those walls of texts needed, really? If people can do meta events and raids in English speaking groups, I'm sure we will manage with WvW just as fine. :)And it's not like all other languages will be banned. Guilds and commanders can still use whatever language they like for their squads.

@Fenella.2634 said:Really, why is this even an issue? We've been playing on international megaservers for years already. It will be just the same as in PvE. Sure, there are indeed some people who really cannot understand complex explanations in English, but how often are those walls of texts needed, really? If people can do meta events and raids in English speaking groups, I'm sure we will manage with WvW just as fine. :)And it's not like all other languages will be banned. Guilds and commanders can still use whatever language they like for their squads.

PVE isnt a competitive gameplay and you dont need a brain there to command nor understand whats going on (cause pve has predictable mechanics).Massive PVP requires coordination and fast information on spot cause the game mode is far more unpredictable and the amount of scenarios that can happen are far more unexpected and tons more numerous compared to PVE land.

Please dont put PVE and WvW on the same spot. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME.

@Cambeleg.7632 said:

@"kafka.1657" said:

By the way, with ~88% of the world's Spanish speakers in the Americas, why is Baruch Bay part of the EU group?)

This is the most absurd question I've read in a forum. Spain
is
an EU country, you know? And most of players in BB
are
Spanish. Just happens that habits and work schedules avoid us to play in same Prime Time as others. Simple.

Seriously, I'm
sick
to read this kitten about "BB is full of Mexicans". This is
racist

Firstly, have you got some actual server population data to back up your claim or are you just making an assumption based on players you've had contact with during the hours you play?

Secondly, if the Spanish language server had been in NA would you have played over there or would you have stayed with a lower-ping EU server? Please consider that many Spanish speakers in the Americas may be satisfied with the lower ping of NA servers, but would ideally prefer a Spanish language server in the NA region.

And lastly, I mentioned nothing about Mexicans. In fact, I've mostly encountered Argentinians, Colombians, and other South Americans. All great experiences so far, but you probably wouldn't want to hear their opinions of the Spaniards on Baruch Bay. lol ;)

@kafka.1657 said:

This is the most absurd question I've read in a forum. Spain
is
an EU country, you know? And most of players in BB
are
Spanish. Just happens that habits and work schedules avoid us to play in same Prime Time as others. Simple.

Seriously, I'm
sick
to read this kitten about "BB is full of Mexicans". This is
racist

Firstly, have you got some actual server population data to back up your claim or are you just making an assumption based on players you've had contact with during the hours you play?

Secondly, if the Spanish language server had been in NA would you have played over there or would you have stayed with a lower-ping EU server? Please consider that many Spanish speakers in the Americas may be satisfied with the lower ping of NA servers, but would ideally prefer a Spanish language server in the NA region.

And lastly, I mentioned nothing about Mexicans. In fact, I've mostly encountered Argentinians, Colombians, and other South Americans. All great experiences so far, but you probably wouldn't want to hear their opinions of the Spaniards on Baruch Bay. lol ;)

Do you have any server population data to back up that most of the players from BB are from South American countries? The question is not "why is Baruch Bay part of the EU group?" the real question is "why is there NOT a Spanish server on NA?".. if the 80% of the spanish speakers r from America".

Why Spaniards have no the same right to have a server of their own like other EU countries (France and Germany) if there is enough population for one? Just because there r other countries from other continent with the same language? It's not our fault. Also they have the right to choose if they wanna play in NA server and make/join a spanish speaker community there or have a higher ping and play with the Spaniards.