Google Stadia

Is Arenanet ever planning on bringing GW2 to Google Stadia?

I've been playing GW2 since the open beta, and my old PC is really showing it's age. I've switched to cloud gaming for over a year and so far it's been suprisingly good (parsec + paperspace). Married with kids now... Buying brand new gaming PC is just not feasible.

However, since Google Stadia's reveal, I've been hearing/reading quite a lot of positive feedback. Was hoping to see Arenanet or GW2 in the game announcement.

Even though I'm "content" with parsec+paperspace, I know Stadia will have a better experience. Plus I'm pretty neck deep in the Google eco system, with good internet too. For example... Takes 4 minutes to boot old PC up (yes, four mins), and another 2 mins to start up parsec and paperspace. Stadia on my Chromebook/Chromebox/Android TV/Android phone will start up in a few seconds.

Wondering if anyone here knows of any plans?

Thanks!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To my understanding, you still have to pay for a game at full price on top of the google subscription. So full price game + one year sub = the price of a mid-range GPU for upgrade. And unless one has exceptional internet, they wouldn't be able to outperform a mid range gaming rig with Stadia.

I'm not entirely sure about the cost benefit of this service for a PC player, but it's still a bit early for accurate comparisons. Google has released a graph about the connection requirements for best performance in various resolutions, but until I see the actual measurements when it's out, I err on the side of caution.

That said, if your PC is so old that it lacks upgrade paths and since you are already into cloud gaming, it's safe to assume Stadia will be better performance-wise than any service you are currently using. I haven't heard any news specific to GW2 but, as usual with new stuff, I would expect a snowball effect. If Stadia sticks, it's library will soon fill with titles, and GW2 will join the party .

@AllNightPlayer.1286 said:I would prefer DirectX 12 support, than anything for a different OS.Stadia isnt a different OS. It would probably require near zero effort on Anets behalf. Its just a streaming service, the eqvivalent of remote desktop for games. You can easily do this today yourself if you had the resources, just run GW2 on a top tier gaming PC and RDP in via a crap PC.

Since ESO is being released there, I assume that there is no requirement from googles side on account databases or exclusivity and the like, otherwise Stadia would be a horrible platform for MMOs as even f2p games would be subscription based.

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:To my understanding, you still have to pay for a game at full price on top of the google subscription. So full price game + one year sub = the price of a mid-range GPU for upgrade. And unless one has exceptional internet, they wouldn't be able to outperform a mid range gaming rig with Stadia.

I'm not entirely sure about the cost benefit of this service for a PC player, but it's still a bit early for accurate comparisons. Google has released a graph about the connection requirements for best performance in various resolutions, but until I see the actual measurements when it's out, I err on the side of caution.

That said, if your PC is so old that it lacks upgrade paths and since you are already into cloud gaming, it's safe to assume Stadia will be better performance-wise than any service you are currently using. I haven't heard any news specific to GW2 but, as usual with new stuff, I would expect a snowball effect. If Stadia sticks, it's library will soon fill with titles, and GW2 will join the party .

Google Stadia will launch it's "base" subscription next year... It's completely free. Allows you to stream at 1080p at 60fps, which is far better than my PC can handle, and at a better price than upgrading.

You don't need to buy a "gaming" PC to play GW2.

I recently built a complete PC (ie, monitor+all PC components+peripherals) for $538. That also included some unnecessary stuff like a WiFi card and compressed air.

If you already have a monitor, or even things like a functional power supply and case+fans from an older PC, you can knock a couple hundred off that price.

I recommend taking a look at AMD's CPU+GPU hybrids: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-3-2200g/p/N82E16819113481?Item=N82E16819113481

@Kulvar.1239 said:Enjoy your 2000ms ping.Instead of: You <---> Game lagYou'll have: You <---> Stadia <---> Game sumed lags

My ping to my new York cloud gaming rig ranges from low 30s to high 30s (I'm in Florida). And yet I do not notice any perceivable latency. Google has servers all over the place, much closer to me. So I highly doubt a ping of 2000.

@"gateless gate.8406" said:You don't need to buy a "gaming" PC to play GW2.

I recently built a complete PC (ie, monitor+all PC components+peripherals) for $538. That also included some unnecessary stuff like a WiFi card and compressed air.

If you already have a monitor, or even things like a functional power supply and case+fans from an older PC, you can knock a couple hundred off that price.

I recommend taking a look at AMD's CPU+GPU hybrids: https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-3-2200g/p/N82E16819113481?Item=N82E16819113481

Believe me, I'd love to but a new pc. But unfortunately, being married with kids and bills and student loans isn't helping my cause. Putting down $800 for a decent PC instantly isn't as easy to swallow as opposed to $10 bucks here and there with parsec and paperspace... Or better yet, free with Google Stadia.

@RehDemption.6394 said:

@Kulvar.1239 said:Enjoy your 2000ms ping.Instead of: You <---> Game lagYou'll have: You <---> Stadia <---> Game sumed lags

My ping to my new York cloud gaming rig ranges from low 30s to high 30s (I'm in Florida). And yet I do not notice any perceivable latency. Google has servers all over the place, much closer to me. So I highly doubt a ping of 2000.

It doesn't change where you live and where the game servers are.Even if you're close to a google stadia server, that server will not be close to the game server.Instead of A ---> B, when you trigger a skill the command will go A ---> C ---> B

@Kulvar.1239 said:

It doesn't change where you live and where the game servers are.Even if you're close to a google stadia server, that server will not be close to the game server.Instead of A ---> B, when you trigger a skill the command will go A ---> C ---> B

But what she's saying is there's a tier of Google Stadia that is free. She wants to know if ANet has any plans to make their game be able to run through Google Stadia.

So she would not have anything to lose if she tries it to see how it plays for her. AKA: see's what the additional lag/latency will be due to the extra jumps she has to do.

@RehDemption.6394 said:

@"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:To my understanding, you still have to pay for a game at full price on top of the google subscription. So full price game + one year sub = the price of a mid-range GPU for upgrade. And unless one has exceptional internet, they wouldn't be able to outperform a mid range gaming rig with Stadia.

Google Stadia will launch it's "base" subscription next year... It's completely free. Allows you to stream at 1080p at 60fps, which is far better than my PC can handle, and at a better price than upgrading.

Is the free library the same as the one with the subscription? Will specific games be locked behind the subscription version? I read that you could play games for free on Stadia as long as they were purchased through Google (I guess a steam-like store). What about games you already own?

I am skeptical towards any service that takes ownership away from me and Stadia does just that. What happens to my purchased games if the platform flops and eventually gets shut down (Google+ anyone)? The "always online" thing, even on SP games, is also annoying but if you are only interested in an MMO, that doesnt apply to you.

In the end, it's up to you and I see why Stadia would seem like a more enticing option than upgrading to a whole new gaming rig. Just make sure you have researched all the caveats and wait to see it in action from the user end instead of the controlled environment of a presentation. If it turns out as good as they say, major studios will jump on the bandwagon, Anet included. I doubt you 'll see any announcements that early, they are probably taking their time to see how the whole thing goes.

• 3 months later...

@RehDemption.6394 said:However, since Google Stadia's reveal, I've been hearing/reading quite a lot of positive feedback.

Thanks!

Not sure which sites you get your news but the general feeling around Google Stadia is Negative.You not only need to pay full price for the games, there's lag and in certain parts of the world,the data that they consume while running the game is gonna clog up their monthly data allowance by their isp.And not to forget, Google tend to have a habit of cancelling projects anytime they want if it doesn't fly, so allthose money you paid for the games will just go up in smoke if Google decides to close it down in the future.Google Stadia sounds good in theory, but ..... we'll see.

@Snowmoon.1758 said:Google tend to have a habit of cancelling projects anytime they want if it doesn't fly, so all those money you paid for the games will just go up in smoke if Google decides to close it down in the future.

This is the main thing that puts me off using services like this. Not Google specifically, any kind of streaming service. Whenever someone asks why I still buy movies, albums, games etc. I ask if they've ever been part way through a series on Netflix only to find it's been removed. It's been a long time since I met someone who used Netflix who said no. And that's my answer.

I like to be able to go back to games months, years, even decades after they're released and I'd hate to find I can't do that because the company I 'bought' (rented) it from decided I shouldn't be able to play it any more.

@Kulvar.1239 said:

This!

Gw2 is a game that has been relentlessly criticized for not having cross region play between NA and EU, if I recall that was because the distance between the server hubs is too big and the cables that hae to carry the data are unable to do so quick enough.I'm not a tech expert by any means nor know that much about computer systems but adding another hub the data must pass through between your computer and the server for this game seems to be asking for even more lag and other issues easily avoided with a direct connection.Not to mention you'd literally be paying a subfee on top of the game for a worse experience..

Honestly this whole cloud gaming thing sounds like a terrible idea to me, sure people are having good experiences with it now because it's small.Once millions more people are using it I'd bet good money that those good experiences are going to rapidly diminish thanks to the sheer volume of people.I don't see it as a viable future for gaming, and since they will be subscription services I damn well hope they never do become the future either..Subfees have already killed my support for consoles, if they ever become the norm on Pc too then I will quit supporting new games entirely.

Next to all the predatory lootbox crap going on in the industry today, subfees are right up there with the worst anti-consumer ripoffs in this industry, I will never support them.

sheesh you guys are negative. I just preordered. I'm excited. If it doesn't do well, I could make a profit selling everything in the bundle separately. It's a good deal right now and I'm excited. I have only read one negative article, all the rest have been positive experiences. But time will tell. We will see. I'm glad to be part of this ambitious project from the beginning.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@Snowmoon.1758 said:Google tend to have a habit of cancelling projects anytime they want if it doesn't fly, so all those money you paid for the games will just go up in smoke if Google decides to close it down in the future.

This is the main thing that puts me off using services like this. Not Google specifically, any kind of streaming service. Whenever someone asks why I still buy movies, albums, games etc. I ask if they've ever been part way through a series on Netflix only to find it's been removed. It's been a long time since I met someone who used Netflix who said no. And that's my answer.

I like to be able to go back to games months, years, even decades after they're released and I'd hate to find I can't do that because the company I 'bought' (rented) it from decided I shouldn't be able to play it any more.

Google also changes API stuff, changes functions names, structures at overnight and dont care much, unlike microsoft where basically all api calls is the same from win95 to maintan the maximum of legacy and compatibility.

• 3 months later...