A solid case as to why Tengu could be a playable race, and why it would be worthwhile.

there is so much idea to put tengu as playable tonic combats.arenanet.you could put a tonic combats tengu as one rewards of event or a event festives like the festives of the four wind or why not adding a fractal who take past of tengu accord ? and add achievement to unlock tengu tonic combats that would be a interesting idea too. the tengu accord was this quest in guild wars 1 https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Tengu_Accords

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@derd.6413 said:except 1. xpacs are a big money maker for anet and 2 why would they talk about xpac stuff to us when there's at least an entire season of LW before it (and we tend to get xpac news at the end of the preceding season)We heard that an expac is in the works shortly after HoT, and it got confirmed later on when MO mentioned expac team. That was a loong time before any official mention of PoF. SInce PoF however Anet has been curiously silent on the issue - the only definite statement we've heard so far has been negative.

i always thought the xpac team discussion was more in response to the massive content droughts around HoTThe first mention was very shortly after HoT, so
before
content drought became an issue.

there was a content drought befre Hot which already was an issue

to me everything points to anet wanting more time beween xpacs rather then it's cancellationYes, sure, them saying that they think they can move the game forward through living world points to them wanting to do expacs. Them not mentioning a word about expacs when they talked about the future of the game, when they mentioned things they themselves said were at best on a far away wish list, and not even worked on, is them planning to do another expac.[/sarcasm]

but the big thing i'm trying to get across is we don't know what anet is up to with xpacs and proclaiming that anet has cancelled all development on them is baseless negativity.It's not baseless. It is based on what Anet said. It's actually the opposite - there is no basis whatsoever to assume they are working now, or planning to work on another expac.Yes, we do not know for certain, but currently there's far more pointing to them
not
doing another expac than to them doing one.

there isn't, silence doesn't mean cancellation (which is what ppl are saying) obviously something changed in how anet makes their xpacs but that doesn't mean they're not working on it.

@derd.6413 said:there isn't, silence doesn't mean cancellation (which is what ppl are saying) obviously something changed in how anet makes their xpacs but that doesn't mean they're not working on it.

The way I interpret silence is that nothing of importance has changed so there's nothing to talk about. I most certainly don't interpret it as an indication that the policy and direction has changed so they're now working on something (expansion) that they've clearly stated it's not their current way forward. If/when this changes I expect that Anet will be excited enough about it that they will come out and tell us about it.

@Zohane.7208 said:

@derd.6413 said:there isn't, silence doesn't mean cancellation (which is what ppl are saying) obviously something changed in how anet makes their xpacs but that doesn't mean they're not working on it.

The way I interpret silence is that nothing of importance has changed so there's nothing to talk about. I most certainly don't interpret it as an indication that the policy and direction has changed so they're now working on something (expansion) that they've clearly stated it's not their current way forward. If/when this changes I expect that Anet will be excited enough about it that they will come out and tell us about it.

just because anet wants to put more focus on LW doesn't mean they've stopped working on xpacs.

@Zohane.7208 said:

that sure is a lot to infer from silence.

I still think they need to really think hard about whether anew expat would help or hinder.

Currently they charge for HOT and POF and if you haven't logged in during a lw episode then that too. So a brand new player has to fork over a lot. Adding yet another expac adds even more to that.

They will need to decide whether to bundle some of those to make it more palatable or perhaps the more steady income from the gemstore along with nice lw stories and perks is adequate to continue production.

In do NOT believe a new race or Can the would drive an expac; I DO believe it would drive a return along with driving purchases of related skins.

IE: returning player: hey I can just login and play! (Maybe buying POF if they haven't already) ooo look shiny.New player: huh this looks cool. Expacs on sale..yeah, sure, I can do that.New expac: eh. I will go back to playing final fantasy. That's way too much to invest.

All is just my opinion of course and bundling would solve some of this.

if you have see much auric map the quetzal tengu who are exiled here have nice skin and feather.for sure tengu of heart of thorn model have beautiful looking.as too for the tengu we have in the hall guild.with those model we can find.which one is perfect to be add as tonic combats.mmh maybe why not adding a tonic combats tengu of the model same as the vendor tengu of the hall guild.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/c9/Kensho_Arrowsoul.jpg

@derd.6413 said:

just because anet wants to put more focus on LW
doesn't
mean they've stopped working on xpacs.

"The Living World of Guild Wars 2 is a great way for us to accomplish all of that. It’s the best way to provide our player community with regular content updates—great features, new horizons to explore, and an engaging story that brings our world and characters to life—without charging a subscription fee."

I don't see him mentioning LW as one of the ways to do content delivery. It is explicitly mentioned as the best way. That would have been really weird phrasing if they were indeed about to start working on an xpac. I mean, studios usually aren't in the business of selling their expansions short. Just like the expansion-like LS5 mention earlier, would have also been nonsensical if they were planning on an expansion. Because why have an expansion-like LS when you can have an expansion-like...expansion?

They are also not in the business of hiding their work on one, like some top secret area 51 kitten. Leaks come early and from various sources, hype is a powerful marketing tool. Sometimes when it looks like a duck and quacks like one, it's safe to assume it's a duck.

All that discussion in this thread could have been avoided if OP didn't use an imaginary expansion as a fundamentally flawed argument for Tengu. Nothing forbids Anet to add a new race via LW or any other means.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

doesn't

"The Living World of Guild Wars 2 is a great way for us to accomplish all of that. It’s the best way to provide our player community with regular content updates—great features, new horizons to explore, and an engaging story that brings our world and characters to life—without charging a subscription fee."

I don't see him mentioning LW as
one of the ways
to do content delivery. It is explicitly mentioned as
the best way
. That would have been really weird phrasing if they were indeed about to start working on an xpac. I mean, studios usually aren't in the business of selling their expansions short. Just like the expansion-like LS5 mention earlier, would have also been nonsensical if they were planning on an expansion. Because why have an expansion-like LS when you can have an expansion-like...expansion?

just because anet wants to put more focus on LW doesn't mean they've stopped working on xpacs.also the best way for regular content updates and they also aren't "in the business" of selling their regular updates short. and they never said that LW would replace xpacs just that they want LW to have xpac quality content (and no, that's not "basically the same thing")

They are also not in the business of hiding their work on one, like some top secret area 51 kitten. Leaks come early and from various sources, hype is a powerful marketing tool. Sometimes when it looks like a duck and quacks like one, it's safe to assume it's a duck.

except xpacs are at least more then a year away (which also doesn't mean they're not working on them) and companies don't want leaks to happen out of their control and to early.

nothing of what you've said means the cancellation of xpacs

@"Squirrel.6318" said:We need a new race bad. Think about it, compare beta or vanilla to where we are now, barely anything has changed. We need a drastic change. This means new race and new weapons. And GvG. It's a joke how the game is called "Guild Wars" but we have no GvG.

Want and need are different things. You may want a new race or think that you want drastic change, and that's fine; however, that doesn't mean that your desires are things that are crucially needed to keep the game alive.

As for GvG and "Guild Wars", it was stated way back in the beginning that the game's name was kept for the franchise aspect and not for game-play.

@"Squirrel.6318" said:We need a new race bad. Think about it, compare beta or vanilla to where we are now, barely anything has changed. We need a drastic change. This means new race and new weapons. And GvG. It's a joke how the game is called "Guild Wars" but we have no GvG.

Did you miss things like gliding and mounts?

@derd.6413 said:

doesn't

one of the ways
the best way
. That would have been really weird phrasing if they were indeed about to start working on an xpac. I mean, studios usually aren't in the business of selling their expansions short. Just like the expansion-like LS5 mention earlier, would have also been nonsensical if they were planning on an expansion. Because why have an expansion-like LS when you can have an expansion-like...expansion?

doesn't
mean they've stopped working on xpacs.also the best way for
regular
content updates and they also aren't "in the business" of selling their regular updates short. and they never said that LW would replace xpacs just that they want LW to have xpac quality content (and no, that's not "basically the same thing")

except xpacs are at least more then a year away (which also doesn't mean they're not working on them) and companies don't want leaks to happen out of their control and to early.

Everything I posted shows they are going with LW instead of expansion model for the foreseeable future, much like their original plan for the game before they changed it with HoT. Since you are claiming they are still on the expansion + LW model, I would like you to provide the relevant sources. In the absence of these sources, your claim is the definition of baseless. And since this is getting off-topic it's pointless to continue this debate, so I will leave it at that. Battling denial is not the most constructive use of time and thread space anyway.

@AlexxxDelta.1806 said:

doesn't

one of the ways
the best way

doesn't
regular
content updates and they also aren't "in the business" of selling their regular updates short. and they never said that LW would replace xpacs just that they want LW to have xpac quality content (and no, that's not "basically the same thing")

Everything I posted shows they are going with LW instead of expansion model for the foreseeable future, much like their original plan for the game before they changed it with HoT. Since you are claiming they are still on the expansion + LW model, I would like you to provide the relevant sources. In the absence of these sources, your claim is the definition of baseless. And since this is getting off-topic it's pointless to continue this debate, so I will leave it at that. Battling denial is not the most constructive use of time and thread space anyway.

once again more focus on LW doesn't mean the end of xpacs. how hard is that to understand.

my issue is not that anet is still one hundred percent working on the xpac, that was never my claim. my issue is ppl going around saying xpacs are canceled and will never return and that after season 5 the game will be put on maintenance mode like it's confirmed fact when in reality we don't know what the status of xpacs are and any conclusion drawn on the topic is purely speculation and assumptions.

@derd.6413 said:

doesn't

one of the ways
the best way

doesn't
regular

once again more focus on LW doesn't mean the end of xpacs. how hard is that to understand.

my issue is not that anet is still one hundred percent working on the xpac, that was never my claim. my issue is ppl going around saying xpacs are canceled and will never return and that after season 5 the game will be put on maintenance mode like it's confirmed fact when in reality we don't know what the status of xpacs are and any conclusion drawn on the topic is purely speculation and assumptions.

Ok, what we actually know is this: Anet have, quite specifically, stated that they are currently working through LS/LW and not through expansions. I would say that this is a fact.

I agree with you that it does not mean that expansions are never happening, and that Anet have never stated this.The fact that some people state as fact that GW2 will go on maintenance mode or even end after LS5 is something I brush off as the usual doom-and-gloom that so many seem to enjoy revelling in.

@otto.5684 said:As others mentioned, there are a dozen of other Tengu threads.> @"sorudo.9054" said:

you know, i love it when ppl talk about solid cases while having nothing but a baseless idea.
  1. tengu don't exist in cantha.
  2. cantha isn't happening, not soon, not ever.
  3. there are so many other more worthwhile races to be added and more ways to add new races (without conflicts).

"cantha isn't happening, not soon, not ever," I do not think Cantha is the cards, but I won't say ever. We dunno what Anet plans.

"there are so many other more worthwhile races to be added and more ways to add new races (without conflicts)," like which race? If there is ever going to be a new race (unlikely) it will be Tengu, because:

1) They already have an existing city in Tyria, bordering to low level maps.2) The race has to able to make work retroactively. Tengu location is close to Orr, which makes it easy to create a conflict with the Risen.3) Tengu already have a boat load of existing animation, so this should not be an extensive technical task.

and now you're making my point exactly, it's requested so much it's already boring to even consider adding.come with something truly unique, a race that doesn't have the restrictive kind of lore tengu has and has a free and flexible backstory to play around with.

@Zohane.7208 said:

doesn't

one of the ways
the best way

doesn't
regular

Ok, what we actually
know
is this: Anet have, quite specifically, stated that they are
currently
working through LS/LW and not through expansions. I would say that this is a fact.

I agree with you that it does
not
mean that expansions are never happening, and that Anet have never stated this.The fact that some people state as fact that GW2 will go on maintenance mode or even end after LS5 is something I brush off as the usual doom-and-gloom that so many seem to enjoy revelling in.

they never said they weren't working on xpacs, they said nothing about them and ppl are interpreting that silence as they're not doing anything. what is fact is that LW is their primary focus.

@Zohane.7208 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Can someone tell me where we got the info of not only an expansion being in the works but also of it taking place in cantha.

no expansion is currently being planned, or at least not worked on.

just because they went from season 4 to 5 doesn't mean they're not working on an xpac

It's in this article:

"Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon."

Sure, it's an interpretation of mine, but I think it seems to suggest they're not actively working on one.

To clarify, if an expac were released after only six episodes Season 5, that would put us at around November 2021, which is "not any time soon" compared to the end of 2018, when the interview took place.

Plus, it's unclear what impact NCSOFT's financial status in 2019 might have had on plans that ANet had in 2018.

or tl;drI think it's safe to say that no expac will be released in 2019 or 2020 or 2021; I don't think we have enough data to speculate about ANet's plans for 2022 (and they seem to have at least 5-6 years worth of planning on the books at any given time).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:Can someone tell me where we got the info of not only an expansion being in the works but also of it taking place in cantha.

no expansion is currently being planned, or at least not worked on.

just because they went from season 4 to 5 doesn't mean they're not working on an xpac

It's in this article:

"Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon."

Sure, it's an interpretation of mine, but I think it seems to suggest they're not actively working on one.

To clarify, if an expac were released after only six episodes Season 5, that would put us at around November 2021, which is "not any time soon" compared to the end of 2018, when the interview took place.

Plus, it's unclear what impact NCSOFT's financial status in 2019 might have had on plans that ANet had in 2018.

or tl;drI think it's safe to say that no expac will be released in 2019 or 2020 or 2021; I don't think we have enough data to speculate about ANet's plans for 2022 (and they seem to have at least 5-6 years worth of planning on the books at any given time).

Depending who u ask, for all we know se4 might've been originally planned as the last season.

@zealex.9410 said:Depending who u ask, for all we know se4 might've been originally planned as the last season.We know that SE4 was not planned as the final season... because S5 is going to start pretty soon. It was (a) announced well before the layoffs which (b) required writing and design to have started a long time ago.

Now it's true that we mostly know very little. It's conceivable that an earlier plan had Expac #3 before LS5, it's just more likely that they've been restructuring towards releasing more features via LS than they used to, because of the amount of lead time that requires.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"derd.6413" said:they never said they weren't working on xpacsThey never said they were working on one (past PoF) either. The only mention of a third expac was when they said "you won't see one in foreseeable future" a year ago.

neither am i claiming they did, it's up in the air what the status of xpacs are

if making tengu as playable race is the problem why not add a tengu tonic combats ? that something still possible and will end 6 year of waiting to play as them.as i say the last model of from heart of thorn seem better choice to be a good selection for a combats tonic.here my selection idea of tengu with a good model for combats tonichttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/d5/Champion_Quetzal_Commander.jpg https://i.redd.it/eh5vjgpekqk11.jpg https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/4/40/Champion_Asai_Deftclaw.jpg i say again perhaps i bother by repeat that idea but this waiting of 6 year must end soon enough we wait tengu be playable as race or a tonic combats for those year and we for now get nothing just nothing.if playable race is impossible to do for arenanet at least please.add a tonic combats tengu end this all waiting year. :'(

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@zealex.9410 said:Depending who u ask, for all we know se4 might've been originally planned as the last season.We know that SE4 was not planned as the final season... because S5 is going to start pretty soon. It was (a) announced well before the layoffs which (b) required writing and design to have started a long time ago.

That doesnt really disprove my claim, yes now we are getting season 5 but season 5 was announced 2 episodes before the end of season 4, as opposed to pof being announced to be in the works before we even got se3 at the time.

They would have required to basics and a general overview of the plot but thats not really the same as having the story down and all its big and small details.

@sorudo.9054 said:and now you're making my point exactly, it's requested so much it's already boring to even consider adding.come with something truly unique, a race that doesn't have the restrictive kind of lore tengu has and has a free and flexible backstory to play around with.

Mounts were requested a lot more; were they boring when they got added?