About Duels

HnRkLnXqZ.1870

@RedShark.9548 said:

@"VDAC.2137" said:It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

Like custom arenas, EotM, OS, or the guild hall arenas?

Ppl like you never roamed...Atleast not in a way most of these "duelers" are roaming.Most of them are, or used to be (since roaming isnt much fun anymore) your normal smallscale player, flipping camps, killing dolyak etc solo.

They do their roaming stuff until they meet someone who gives a good fight, sometimes they kill each other and go on, sometimes they both want to repeat that fight, because they had fun, and want to improve their skill.

Almost nobody just has the intention of doing duels only in wvw, thats why your claimed duel spots are a wasteland.Duels mostly are spontaneous events. Not planned out beforehand.

Not to mention that you lose participation by going into eotm or OS, which on the duel spot can be kept going by simply killing the sentry, or by flipping the camp in the south.

Also, always keep in mind that while on of your players might be blocking a spot on your border, the same goes for his enemy, he binds atleast one enemy player at that spot, instead of him joining his squad, or wrecking your camps.

And the guild hall arena must be a joke on your part. Do you seriously blame ppl for not wanting to fight in that thing? Ive done it a few times with guildies and its a pain.You know why? Because it uses PVE balance. Its absolute garbage, ive won duels in there solely on the fact that retaliations hits like a truck in there and my opponent, who was mesmer, basically killed himself by just attacking me.

Edit: quoted the wrong guy, whoops

One other thing about guild hall, getting someone in there can be a pain when they are not in your guild or even on your server, and you have to leave WvW to do it. Not only that but it's so small you almost cant get OOC, I mean come on anet, at least make it the size of OS, so much room that is wasted in guild hall and they give it a little speck of room. This really kills it for range classes who have little to no room to kite, and as much as I hate it when people do it in WvW, stealthing or porting away to recover and LOS etc are legit tactics that can't be done in guild hall. And yes, the PvE balance.....WHY?!?!

pff, simply don't care as much. Personal policy: Usually leave them alone. But when in desperate need of participation, nothing is safe.I mean why should they be? I am also not safe when I just want to reach a certain spot on the map and quite obviously have no interest in fighting. Yes, it annoys me when it happens, but it's part of the game mode after all. It's not like you're somehow in a safe-zone where no one can touch you.

why you choose a spot to make your dailies where fighting oriented people hang around?

there plenty methods to get the dailies no need to question the 1vs1 people in 2019 who have been there for years already.

my suggestion is community strongly gets back to "think twice before you post".

• is the topic even worth writing about?
  • is the topic you want to open already open in one of the 100000 other threads?
  • are you only posting because of an emotional moment cause you lost against another person?
  • before posting please also always consider "is there anything i personally could do different?" before fingerpointing at others or the system on the forums.

i would estimate 90% of all postings in wvw forum are a result because people dont think about themselves first.

are you people really serious about what you are doing here each day? FFS

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@"VDAC.2137" said:It would be nice if there was a place/mechanism specifically for dueling. I quite enjoyed that aspect in SWTOR; there was an in-game mechanic to challenge anyone to a duel and if there was any interference, the duel was automatically interrupted. It would be cool if there were arenas or something specifically for duels in GW2. :)

Ppl like you never roamed...Atleast not in a way most of these "duelers" are roaming.Most of them are, or used to be (since roaming isnt much fun anymore) your normal smallscale player, flipping camps, killing dolyak etc solo.

They do their roaming stuff until they meet someone who gives a good fight, sometimes they kill each other and go on, sometimes they both want to repeat that fight, because they had fun, and want to improve their skill.

Almost nobody just has the intention of doing duels only in wvw, thats why your claimed duel spots are a wasteland.Duels mostly are spontaneous events. Not planned out beforehand.

Not to mention that you lose participation by going into eotm or OS, which on the duel spot can be kept going by simply killing the sentry, or by flipping the camp in the south.

Also, always keep in mind that while on of your players might be blocking a spot on your border, the same goes for his enemy, he binds atleast one enemy player at that spot, instead of him joining his squad, or wrecking your camps.

And the guild hall arena must be a joke on your part. Do you seriously blame ppl for not wanting to fight in that thing? Ive done it a few times with guildies and its a pain.You know why? Because it uses PVE balance. Its absolute garbage, ive won duels in there solely on the fact that retaliations hits like a truck in there and my opponent, who was mesmer, basically killed himself by just attacking me.

One other thing about guild hall, getting someone in there can be a pain when they are not in your guild or even on your server, and you have to leave WvW to do it. Not only that but it's so small you almost cant get OOC, I mean come on anet, at least make it the size of OS, so much room that is wasted in guild hall and they give it a little speck of room. This really kills it for range classes who have little to no room to kite, and as much as I hate it when people do it in WvW, stealthing or porting away to recover and LOS etc are legit tactics that can't be done in guild hall. And yes, the PvE balance.....WHY?!?!

Well the los problem can be solved by placing objects inside of it, those work just fine.

The pve balance problem was actually adressed by ben.

He said, due to it being located in the pve realm, they cant change the balance stuff just inside the arena to pvp. Its not technically possible, they would have to change the guild halls position into the mists... Which again is a problem, because you have to play pve to unlock it.

@RedShark.9548 said:

Well the los problem can be solved by placing objects inside of it, those work just fine.

The pve balance problem was actually adressed by ben.

He said, due to it being located in the pve realm, they cant change the balance stuff just inside the arena to pvp. Its not technically possible, they would have to change the guild halls position into the mists... Which again is a problem, because you have to play pve to unlock it.

LOS is much harder on ranged classes in a constrained area, on my full melee DH, I have much easier time staying on a SB or thief, the area is ungodly small, adding more items into the arena, only reduces the fighting area and makes it even harder for ranged classes.

All that shows is lack of thought process and design when making the guild arena inside the guild hall based on PvE. Because everything PvP related is an after thought.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:They do not seem to be a thing on every server, but there appears to be a community on some of the european servers. I am sort of frustrated at the moment, because almost every battle I have seen over the past three days appeared to be a duel. I want to do my dailies somehow and ... well I do WvW for the tickets ... participation.

What I know or at least believe to know:

• the official duel spot is on the small island with the sentry in Alpine Borderlands, north of the southern central camp
  • allies and enemies who stand there are either spectators or waiting for duels
  • to engage someone into a duel, just jump infront of them and wait for them to jump as well, find a location and start
  • interfering a duel is 100 % suicide, because every player in the area (except you) has a build optimized for 1v1 and can strike you down in 1/2 sec
  • watching is allowed
  • claming the camp is allowed
  • claming the sentry is sometimes allowed

What I do not understand:

• when I go to a duel, and sit down I get attacked by other spectators
  • using the pathway to the camp also gets you killed/attacked by the spectators
  • sometimes even claiming the monument gets you killed/attacked by the spectators
  • if you watch a duel from the other side of the water, ppl sneak up at you and kill you

How do I spot a duel in other places?Two people fighting on the field is not a real indicator. Asking? Either you fight or you write. I cannot message and fight at the same time and those combats look quite intense. Duelists are not much talkative, even if the fight is over. They only care about the duel itself, which is sort of understandable.

From my understanding, duels only work because players agree to some basic rules. What belongs to those rules and what not depends, on the day, the time and the mood of the players. If the bloodthirst is high enough, every non-dueling player is a free kill. A spectator can also watch when he is dead.

Is there an agreement, that server X is the dueling hotspot for this week? Then I will skip it entirely. Where can I look this up?

Could we get a map with 50 square holes in the ground, each hole has the measurements of the Arcane Council room in Rata Sum. People who want to duel can jump into a room and fight. The others can do WvW on the other maps?

Bowing is the formal way to ask for a duel./bow @ (player targeted)

I have a rule I follow which is never get involved in a 1v1.. I don't care if it's a duel or not. I will jump in if anyone else jumps in, or if the enemy player attempts to stomp the friendly they defeated.

There are 3 common dueling spots around SMC and ofc vista island on the BLs. That said, duels can happen anywhere and it's best (imo) to just not interfere in 1v1s.

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:They do not seem to be a thing on every server, but there appears to be a community on some of the european servers. I am sort of frustrated at the moment, because almost every battle I have seen over the past three days appeared to be a duel. I want to do my dailies somehow and ... well I do WvW for the tickets ... participation.

• the official duel spot is on the small island with the sentry in Alpine Borderlands, north of the southern central camp
  • to engage someone into a duel, just jump infront of them and wait for them to jump as well, find a location and start
  • interfering a duel is 100 % suicide, because every player in the area (except you) has a build optimized for 1v1 and can strike you down in 1/2 sec
  • watching is allowed

• sometimes even claiming the monument gets you killed/attacked by the spectators
  • if you watch a duel from the other side of the water, ppl sneak up at you and kill you

How do I spot a duel in other places?Two people fighting on the field is not a real indicator. Asking? Either you fight or you write. I cannot message and fight at the same time and those combats look quite intense. Duelists are not much talkative, even if the fight is over. They only care about the duel itself, which is sort of understandable.

From my understanding, duels only work because players agree to some basic rules. What belongs to those rules and what not depends, on the day, the time and the mood of the players. If the bloodthirst is high enough, every non-dueling player is a free kill. A spectator can also watch when he is dead.

Is there an agreement, that server X is the dueling hotspot for this week? Then I will skip it entirely. Where can I look this up?

Could we get a map with 50 square holes in the ground, each hole has the measurements of the Arcane Council room in Rata Sum. People who want to duel can jump into a room and fight. The others can do WvW on the other maps?

There are a few "official" dueling zones, in both alpine BLs north of south camp, on hill between Green Keep and SM and on the sides of SM.Speaking of "engage into a duel", just write /bow @ someone, if youre known dueler/roamer he will prolly accept, if not, theres a high chance youll get dismissed.Why would one interrupt a duel? I mean there are only two situations that I understand, when the interrupt guy is newbie or when one of the duelers is kitten/ganker/trashtalker w/e else. Otherwise its just rude and expect siege throwing over your corpse and teabaggingNow about claiming camp, you can do it ofc, but please only cap, not claim it for a guild that has some bonuses (+100 to stats is a huge boost)

If you get attacked when going to a duel zone that means you did sth bad mannered in the past and some1 remembered that (usually).Otherwise, some spectators might be just bored and killing random bypassing karma-seeker is very tempting. Happens.

There's no such agreement, but some ppl know each other even if they're on other servers and know that they'll be on certain BL waiting for a duels. Also not all servers have duelers, some have high amount (UW bandwagon atm), some moderate (like AR, Gandara) and some have like non or very rarely seen (idk, BB?). Why would one stand in BB dueling zone waiting for 1-2 guys with average skills while they can go into UW zone and meet 10 duelers with high skill level.

50 square holes in the ground would be appreciated.

@Widmo.3186 said:

@"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:They do not seem to be a thing on every server, but there appears to be a community on some of the european servers. I am sort of frustrated at the moment, because almost every battle I have seen over the past three days appeared to be a duel. I want to do my dailies somehow and ... well I do WvW for the tickets ... participation.

• watching is allowed

There are a few "official" dueling zones, in both alpine BLs north of south camp, on hill between Green Keep and SM and on the sides of SM.Speaking of "engage into a duel", just write /bow @ someone, if youre known dueler/roamer he will prolly accept, if not, theres a high chance youll get dismissed.Why would one interrupt a duel? I mean there are only two situations that I understand, when the interrupt guy is newbie or when one of the duelers is kitten/ganker/trashtalker w/e else. Otherwise its just rude and expect siege throwing over your corpse and teabaggingNow about claiming camp, you can do it ofc, but please only cap, not claim it for a guild that has some bonuses (+100 to stats is a huge boost)

If you get attacked when going to a duel zone that means you did sth bad mannered in the past and some1 remembered that (usually).Otherwise, some spectators might be just bored and killing random bypassing karma-seeker is very tempting. Happens.

There's no such agreement, but some ppl know each other even if they're on other servers and know that they'll be on certain BL waiting for a duels. Also not all servers have duelers, some have high amount (UW bandwagon atm), some moderate (like AR, Gandara) and some have like non or very rarely seen (idk, BB?). Why would one stand in BB dueling zone waiting for 1-2 guys with average skills while they can go into UW zone and meet 10 duelers with high skill level.

From the other side of the spectrum: Please claim the camp. It will start the cooldown for being able to put in tactics and the +5 supplies will be appreciated. Those who defend camps will also appreciate the +100 stat boost.

@LaGranse.8652 said:

• watching is allowed

From the other side of the spectrum: Please claim the camp. It will start the cooldown for being able to put in tactics and the +5 supplies will be appreciated. Those who defend camps will also appreciate the +100 stat boost.

No. From your side of the spectrum, sc is probably the most useless one of all camps in alpine BL. If you are upgrading towers/bay/hills you want to keep either vale or wc, not the sc. Also there are no fights (usually) except for duels and GvGs in area of sc and +100 stat boost makes those unfair.I cant remember last time I've seen sc even T1 while vale, wc and the others happen to be T3 on daily basis. Not even mentioning last time I saw tactics put on sc. So all in all, claim everything but this camp (or do, i dont really care it will just waste minute or two of duelers time and it will make one or two duels bit unfair).

i notice lately that (formal) dueling [like starting it with a /bow] is non-existent, at least in our server. all you see are 1v1 gank. or 2v1 gank. or 2v2 gank. etc.

typically when someone (e.g. I) go cap a camp, I see responders. and most of the time it's soulbeast or some ranged character..

and that certain Holo from SBI who only wins coz he 70% hard-healed himself 3x even using a Healing Turret for the constant health upkeep.

and i only rely on Healing Signet ticks and Might makes Right.

when you watch the duel you will get killed 100%

duelists that want to only "duel" and don't care about fake-wvw (blobbing) but then they go and zerg that one individual guy to keep their participation up.but offcourse that is not blobbing.

i watch duels daily, and fight duels daily. not a day passes by without some issues