No more language specific servers

DamiVlad.2689

@"Ana.2415" said:Do you have any server population data to back up that most of the players from BB are from South American countries? The question is not "why is Baruch Bay part of the EU group?" the real question is "why is there NOT a Spanish server on NA?".. if the 80% of the spanish speakers r from America".

Nobody here has made any claims about BB's current population breakdown except for Cambeleg.

I was merely wondering why GW2's one and only Spanish speaking server was placed in a region where only 1/8 of the world's Spanish speakers reside. After all, they are intended to be language servers and not national servers. For instance, the German language servers are every bit as much for Austrian players as for Germans.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@kafka.1657 said:

Firstly, have you got some actual server population data to back up your claim or are you just making an assumption based on players you've had contact with during the hours you play?

Secondly, if the Spanish language server had been in NA would you have played over there or would you have stayed with a lower-ping EU server? Please consider that many Spanish speakers in the Americas may be satisfied with the lower ping of NA servers, but would ideally prefer a Spanish language server in the NA region.

And lastly, I mentioned nothing about Mexicans. In fact, I've mostly encountered Argentinians, Colombians, and other South Americans. All great experiences so far, but you probably wouldn't want to hear their opinions of the Spaniards on Baruch Bay. lol ;)

1. Data of what? Of the percentage of Spanish players in BB? Seriously you gonna ask me for data after FIVE years playing there? Don't be kiddo, please.
  2. In the Americas you will find a very LOW number of Spanish players, mostly 'cos same reason BB has a low number of Hispanic players: ping. Those who are lucky to have a good provider, can play in EU, but these are a very low number in comparison. Same could be asked about Canadian and American guilds that are playing in EU for years... or you're gonna ignore this fact 'cos selfish interest? If you gonna blame one side, blame both, don't be hypocrital.
  3. You didn't, but many others did. And about experience of them? Of course I want to hear them, 'cos except a few rotten apples (that exist everywhere, not only in one server), most of people was and is nice players who enjoyed playing there.

@Rasimir.6239 said:

@"PixelJaeger.2403" said:"Blue Home: 5 reds @ WT, 1 cata" should be understandable by almost everyone

Yes, because WT is the abbreviation used in each language. Not. ;) Besides, I don't know about American servers, but the German ones are full of lively
verbal
communication as well. All will become very quiet when those shy to use their broken (if even existent) English are silenced by the change, especially when they don't know the English callouts for location with whose names they were previously 100% familiar. We have had non-German comms leading, and it
always
was just a handful of people talking while the rest remained unusually quiet.But we do have commanders on the german servers now. I sure hope they won't just all stop commanding after the next linking ;) . And if they do, who is to tell them they have to command in english? If the linkings work out there should be opportunities for public leads in all associated languages.

Oh, I love them and hope so, too. ;) All I am saying is that this new status quo would likely silence some players permanently, perhaps even drive them away, and that would be a shame. As you can see I am not one of them, as I am lucky to be quite fluent in English (and enjoy speaking the language at any given occasion).

The language is not a problem, I am the RTK commander and we are on the server of UNDERWORLD, the majority in RTK speaks Spanish. But people who do not speak Spanish, follow us without problems, using only basic fight commands. Because most of the wvw players know the game and know what to do.Obviously I am committed to learning the language that is most used on the server.Speaking different languages ​​in the game has never been a limitation.

@Wesker Albert.4750 said:

The language is not a problem, I am the RTK commander and we are on the server of UNDERWORLD, the majority in RTK speaks Spanish. But people who do not speak Spanish, follow us without problems, using only basic fight commands. Because most of the wvw players know the game and know what to do.Obviously I am committed to learning the language that is most used on the server.Speaking different languages ​​in the game has never been a limitation.

I have never seen any Spanish com in wvw and I just tag on the 1st com I see on map... Underworld here too. Always got in English speaking squads. I don't know much bout wvw so I would get serious issues if coms would not speak at least broken English (and I'm not native English).

Baruch has a lot of South Americans/Mexican's. U can't tell me that the Spanish prime time is 4-5hrs shifted from the rest EU. When everyone goes to bed coz ppl have to work next day Baruch is running around with 2 full zones with massive lags.. :D Before that they have the same coverage like every other unlinked national server....

@"phreeak.1023" said:Baruch has a lot of South Americans/Mexican's. U can't tell me that the Spanish prime time is 4-5hrs shifted from the rest EU. When everyone goes to bed coz ppl have to work next day Baruch is running around with 2 full zones with massive lags.. :D Before that they have the same coverage like every other unlinked national server....

I can. Our prime time is already 9-10 PM (GMT+1). It been always like this, except first two years, when all servers were full of people and coverage wasn't a problem. Ask whoever you want, this is so.

"Massive lags"? "2 full zones?" In what world you live? Seriously, the public tag that plays at this hour barely manage to get 20-25. Randoms? Of course, same numbers as you can find in other servers. This "lot" of players between 11 PM-2 AM (GMT+1) you mean, sir, are Spanish players spending time at those hours (including the only guild that plays at those hours, GOLD) 'cos many can't play during the daylight 'cos real life responsibilities. It's true, so, that we actually have a SA tag too, playing when you all are sleeping, but I know this commander and he's jumping of happiness if he hits 15 players in the tag.

Want to complain about this? Alright. But complain too in relation with Whiteside and Aurora, Seafarer and Gunnar, or Desolation, 'cos they have bigger coverage along the day. Ah, but they're not Spanish, so why to complain about bandwagoners... that already aren't Spanish or Hispanic people, mhm?

Complain about how the WvW team keeps using an unfair system, the World Linking, for merging servers that, separately, have more population than others, and when they're linked, they literally stomp the unlinked ones.

Ahead, complain now. I'm all ears.

I'm the first one wanting a balanced field for enjoying, to make PPT and PPK have a fair, balanced value for scoring, 'cos World vs World is more than only fights, and deserves more love by Arenanet than what we get since four years ago. But there is a lot of people who should look at themselves in a mirror and dare to keep their absurd complains about Baruch Bay. Every player spends time when can and want, this is so everywhere.

@kafka.1657 said:Actually, I am a Canadian playing on an EU server. lol

So you're a Canadian, good. What are you playing in EU servers then, uh? Ah, you can 'cos your ping allows it, true? Then, why the f*** others can't, and only you're allowed?

Less hypocrisy, please.

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:that will be fun. a lot of german commanders want you to join teamspeak and you need to speak and understand german.it will be a mess.

Well then, they're free to have what they can get. I mean, the french weren't exactly that different, having been there and all, one of the reasons I moved to NA. Back then they had the help of french canadians for the night coverage and they've been thrashed around for a while on a certain server because many among the coverage spoke english which was perceived as somehow unacceptable. It'll take some getting used to for those willing to accept it but everything will be more or less fine afterwards, or servers will sink.

@"MrForz.1953" said:It'll take some getting used to for those willing to accept it but everything will be more or less fine afterwards, or servers will sink.Of course it will be fine, because people are totally blowing it out of proportions. Even if Anet says there will be no more language specific servers, the community will still have their unofficial servers for it - and in the case of current servers, many will of course remain where they are. It's not like all the Spaniards on Baruch suddenly evaporate into thin air because Anet removes a little flag icon. We had it at launch, with many large alliances joining specific servers. FSP for example was the "unofficial Swedish server".

Plus people seem to be missing the obvious immediate advantage here - loosing the restrictions will finally make them able to delete T5 (otherwise we would have 4 linked german monstrosities).

As far as language barrier and ridiculous inappropriate jokes go, if they are working towards better restructuring WvW, I say let's see where it goes.

I don't exactly know what they have planned but if they are working towards adjusting the one major thing in EU servers, I hope that means that they actually have a planned restructure in WvW and not just 'testing' things as they go along like they usually do...

Well how can french/german/spanish people play games wich are only in english. you can still turn the game into german/french/spanish mode.

Atleast for me i like the idea

1. I can sing German Volksmusic
  2. I can Listen french rap and non non rien change
  3. and i like food so i would take some spanish tapas. Spended once 200 euro at plaza mayor cause we orded tapas for 10 people while we were 4 :-1:

Even as a dutch person i can dive into orther languages. why would it be so hard to go over to english? and we live in 2019 evreything is possible!

For me i would love to have more german/french/spanish people join the eu servers!

People and guilds move from national to international servers already, if they can understand English enough. The others are just outsiders of the community, which even alliances won't change that much, Which means it won't be inclusive to guilds, but most communities try to invite everyone to be a part of their community.

They should just reduce the EU to four Tiers, but the problem is, you have one spanish speaking server and too many German servers (who are apparently full) currently.

@"i go own the nation.3714" said:Well how can french/german/spanish people play games wich are only in english. you can still turn the game into german/french/spanish mode.

Atleast for me i like the idea

1. I can sing German Volksmusic
  2. I can Listen french rap and non non rien change
  3. and i like food so i would take some spanish tapas. Spended once 200 euro at plaza mayor cause we orded tapas for 10 people while we were 4 :-1:

Even as a dutch person i can dive into orther languages. why would it be so hard to go over to english? and we live in 2019 evreything is possible!

For me i would love to have more german/french/spanish people join the eu servers!

I love your post Nation xD

Spread the love guys <3Europe hasn't been made by insulting each others and not communicate :)We should be abble to go with this as we always do

I honestly don't know what to say, Anet had promised a change to WvW and I could finally hope to be happy one day... Aaaand BOOM! Here we go again... Removing language restrictions, Walls Health, mounts, Desert BLs, PvE content in WvW, c' mon... You promised positive changes, I saw Anet kill this game-mode over the course of 6 years.

I don't see that as a huge problem. For example on Riverside (DE), we had some international guilds/commanders on our server who sometimes also leaded the puplic zerg and that usually went quite well. Some of them also joined the German commanders as the fight commands (empower, bomb, fake push...) are mostly given in English. I've never heard anyone using the German word for "choke" (the German word would be too long to use in a fight^^).The English words "keep", "gate", "home border", "camp" and "EBG" are also regularly used in ts, so most people know them as well.

There are 4 maps to play on, so it shouldn't be a problem to have an English lead on one map and a German/French/Spanish/Russian... lead on another. Especially for those who either don't feel comfortable to lead in English or those who just prefer to talk in their mother tongue.

I don't know the French or Spanish "chat codes" for what is happening, but there isn't much difference between English and German:German: inc wt, 30+ Kodasch, 3 katas

The names for some of the locations (wt=Westturm/west tower) may be confusing at first if servers use different words for it, but I think people will get used to the different terms soon. And if someone doesn't know how to say something in English I think there'll be someone to translate it.For example I don't know how "bay" and "hill" is called on the DBL in English. We use "Palast" (palace) and "Gruft" (vault, crypt).

And since megaservers people playing on an EU server should be used to read different languages in chat.Ther are only some rare individuals left who still have a problem when the chat on a map or a guild advertisement isn't in English ("write in English you baguette/Nazi... we have megaservers").You just can't help such narrow-minded people. (How can anybody have a problem with a written text in a foreign language? I'll never understand that.)

• ArenaNet Staff

Hi everyone,

I'm going to close this thread and redirect people to the official feedback thread we created here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/79608/removing-language-restrictions-for-eu-world-linking/

Note that this is about feedback on this upcoming change, not a thread to make general comments or suggestions about the changed. We want to hear how this is going to affect you, your squad and the gameplay. This feedback will help us understand how the WvW community see this change.

Thank you.