WTB server upgrade

Optimator.3589

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@Eliren.4985 said:I love how you can know if the enemy has a large amount of players simply by the lagspike you get when you come close :)

Thats FPS drop, which is client side, not server side. Skill lag is felt across the whole map, you can be at spawn and the fight is going on in SMC and still have 5 seconds of skill lag.

Didn't know fps drops caused 15+ people to get skill lag and in general terrible lag, ey, the more you know I guess :)

@Eliren.4985 said:

@Eliren.4985 said:I love how you can know if the enemy has a large amount of players simply by the lagspike you get when you come close :)

Thats FPS drop, which is client side, not server side. Skill lag is felt across the whole map, you can be at spawn and the fight is going on in SMC and still have 5 seconds of skill lag.

Didn't know fps drops caused 15+ people to get skill lag and in general terrible lag, ey, the more you know I guess :)

Most people get FPS drops and confuse it with skill lag. If getting close to a zerg causes it, it's FPS drop in most cases, if you feel it everywhere on the map or outside of render range, it's skill lag. I have friends who can well then a zerg is coming because of this, yet I don't notice anything as I don't have the same FPS drops. Now, once they start fighting another zerg I can feel the skill lag, but just getting close to an enemy zerg and getting a "lagspike" points to client side FPS drops.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:Had massive skill lag on T2 last reset while some enemy seemingly not having such lagT3 no such lag, don't know if is a tier thing.

Much of the skill lag is caused by large concentrations of high APM players. Lower tiers which tend to have lower overall numbers, and a higher percentage of those players being casuals, are likely to have lower APM. Thus less burden on the server to cause skill lag.

An engine upgrade could solve framerate drops, yes, but not skill lag. UNLESS a better-optimized engine were able to offload some of the calculations to the client, reducing server load by a little.

Not sure what the cause is as that's not my thing, but just throwing in my 2 cents. LAG IS HELL RN, not sure how many deaths I've had recently from trying to guess where everyone will be in 3 to 5 seconds when the skill actually fires.I keep hearing Anet changed servers to Amazon or some such animal, not sure if that's the problem but what IS clear to me is THERE IS A PROBLEM

@Kilamanjaro.2705 said:Not sure what the cause is as that's not my thing, but just throwing in my 2 cents. LAG IS HELL RN, not sure how many deaths I've had recently from trying to guess where everyone will be in 3 to 5 seconds when the skill actually fires.I keep hearing Anet changed servers to Amazon or some such animal, not sure if that's the problem but what IS clear to me is THERE IS A PROBLEM

AWS hosts most big online games, without issues. The problem comes in that before anet had their own servers (and a much larger player base at the time) and had less lag, they moved to AWS as it was probably much cheaper than running their own HW and staff for it. AWS has massive resources, and can scale based on load, however you have to be willing to PAY for that extra dedicated server time, if you set a cap on that for cost reasons, when that cap is hit but that load is still going up, it will run out of resources. The plus side is that on dead time zones etc when it's very low load, you are not paying for a whole in house dedicated server and staff.

What I think is they have trimmed back on what they are willing to pay for trying to save money.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:What I think is they have trimmed back on what they are willing to pay for trying to save money.

might be worth if they are fast tracking restructuring and go back to less lag mode when it hits.

Don't count on it.

they sort of abandoned wvw before the link system so its not entirely unheard of.