Why "win"?

@Chaba.5410 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:When you play a shooter game, why do you want to beat your enemy team?When you play a fighting game, why would you want to win your opponent?When you play MOBA, why would you not want to beat your enemy?IS there any incentive to do so?

When you ask such a question, you are already screaming to the world that you are a pve player.

There are people who play not for guilds or for that group of people at that particular moment, there are people who play for the greater team aka server.

Now I will ask a question. Why would people stack a server? If they want to fight, wouldn't it be ideal for them to go to the opposing server? It is about winning everything.

I play this game to beat the enemy players in combat that I can control. So what if I stay up 18 hours every day and the most interesting thing I did was press F on siege just to win the match-up. Does that make me a good player? Is that fun, or engaging to anyone at all who isn't the commander who must necessarily have a huge ego? What am I responsible for? 2 hours for raid nights 3 times a week minus reset. That's all I can control. The match-ups were decided years ago by off hours coverage and population. What's me taking my 7,459th tower? It's useless. I can fight and be a part of a team/guild. The whole chess match is so 2012, only played by egotistical commanders who let the game mode pass them by.

Unfortunately, the game isn't just about you.

The OP asked a subjective question. Why are you getting personal when someone gives their opinion? There isn't a right or wrong answer, just individuals typing out their own perspectives. Now you're just turning the thread into some sort of back-n-forth. Yikes. :scream:

He quoted me first? He want to be personal with me when I made a objective opinions that summarize to this game has many types of players? Maybe you should check the entire thread first?

I did check the entire thread, multiple times. He gave an opinion first about the subject, not about you.

Which then I gave my opinion on his opinion of his subject of choice. I mean, if you quote someone, are you not directing that opinion to that someone and (maybe) hoping that someone to reply you? If not, why would you quote them?

If you see the responses from other people, they also gave their opinion on the OP's subject from their personal perspectives, using words like "I" and "my", yet you are not attacking them. Why?

Did you not read what I wrote?

Here, I write again.If you quote someone, are you not directing that opinion to that someone and (maybe) hoping that someone to reply you? If not, why would you quote them?

Who here in this thread, other him and later you quote me? It is very simple logic, I can't explain it any simpler.

I won't chase you down your rabbit hole. I said my piece from an outside third party perspective. What you do with that is up to you.

I think you don't understand what I wrote, I think we are of complete different frequency, it is a pity.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Dawdler.8521 said:Has there ever been any game where there was a reason for winning?

I also find it amusing that people question it now, 7 years after release. Its a little like questioning why anyone could ever enjoy Classic WoW, whats even the point?

It's people that didn't like the games direction. Some, including myself, gave up after WotLK. I tolerated Cataclysm for a bit but the Pandas killed it for me.

Same with this game. If there was a core only version, I would definitely play it.

@Honest John.4673 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:When you play a shooter game, why do you want to beat your enemy team?When you play a fighting game, why would you want to win your opponent?When you play MOBA, why would you not want to beat your enemy?IS there any incentive to do so?

When you ask such a question, you are already screaming to the world that you are a pve player.

There are people who play not for guilds or for that group of people at that particular moment, there are people who play for the greater team aka server.

Now I will ask a question. Why would people stack a server? If they want to fight, wouldn't it be ideal for them to go to the opposing server? It is about winning everything.

I play this game to beat the enemy players in combat that I can control. So what if I stay up 18 hours every day and the most interesting thing I did was press F on siege just to win the match-up. Does that make me a good player? Is that fun, or engaging to anyone at all who isn't the commander who must necessarily have a huge ego? What am I responsible for? 2 hours for raid nights 3 times a week minus reset. That's all I can control. The match-ups were decided years ago by off hours coverage and population. What's me taking my 7,459th tower? It's useless. I can fight and be a part of a team/guild. The whole chess match is so 2012, only played by egotistical commanders who let the game mode pass them by.

Imagine being as bad of a player now as you were in 2012. Just imagine.

Imagine not able to accept objective opinions as you were 7 years ago, just imagine.

He can't come up with a response so he just says "no u"

Grow up.

I was trying to be subtle but you can't get the hint, I was telling you to grow up. Almost every opinion, if not all the opinions you have is all about yourself.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that I'm the
only
person in this entire game mode that likes fights. Everyone else likes sitting around waiting to pvd a door down and karma train, treating wvw like it's pve. Who do you think outnumbers who at this point in the game's lifespan? You're probably one of 5 people on your entire server who cares about the score at the end of the week and ties it to some harebrained idea of server pride.

Winning the week doesn't make you good at the game dude, hate to break it to ya. Or did you spend 18 hours a day all 7 days of the week coordinating with literally everyone else on your server to win? No, it didn't happen. Match-ups are decided before they begin. No amount of individual effort makes a difference. This isn't 2013 anymore. There are no tournaments. Off hours coverage and population determine the score. A tower sitting T3 overnight won it for you, not you playing. It's pure delusion to think otherwise, which feeds into a hefty sense of ego.

The game isn't just about you. If you really can't understand the 6 words, you really need work on it.

I understand that there are people who play this gamemode "as originally intended" and want to win at the end of the week and have server pride. All that. I have made that clear that that is something that I understand. There are people who agree with you. There are people who agree with me. No one's right. No one's wrong. We can establish at least that.

What you need to ponder is why you still hold onto it. The game has grown and evolved since its inception. It's made for the players. And players are responsible for "emergent gameplay". Is this style, this method of playing the game any less valid than yours because it doesn't hold fast and true to what was "originally intended"? Is it something that should be shunned? Looked down upon? Each side is always going to do that to the other.

So that brings us back to why. Why do you still do what you do? How has it not grown old to you, how have you not burnt out? The gameplay
as it's originally intended
cannot fix the fact that individual effort has negligible, if that, impact on the score at the end of the week. No matter what you do, you can't change that by continuing to play that way. This is why people gave up playing that way. This is why many continue to play the way I play. I implore you to think long and hard about why you play a style that so many have left behind and the driving motivations for people like me to play the way I play.

inb4 you don't read anything that I wrote you just repeat what you've said the last two times

Then maybe you shouldn't have quote me. When you quote someone, you asking attention from that someone and that is what I did, I gave you my attention.When I made that post, I believe it is objective, suggesting people play their games differently, have their own perspectives of winning.

However, the moment you quoted me and gave me your piece, you are screaming "I am more important".

If you are trying to use my post as a reference to rant about things, you chose the wrong reference.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

Imagine not able to accept objective opinions as you were 7 years ago, just imagine.

Grow up.

I was trying to be subtle but you can't get the hint, I was telling you to grow up. Almost every opinion, if not all the opinions you have is all about yourself.

only
person in this entire game mode that likes fights. Everyone else likes sitting around waiting to pvd a door down and karma train, treating wvw like it's pve. Who do you think outnumbers who at this point in the game's lifespan? You're probably one of 5 people on your entire server who cares about the score at the end of the week and ties it to some harebrained idea of server pride.

Winning the week doesn't make you good at the game dude, hate to break it to ya. Or did you spend 18 hours a day all 7 days of the week coordinating with literally everyone else on your server to win? No, it didn't happen. Match-ups are decided before they begin. No amount of individual effort makes a difference. This isn't 2013 anymore. There are no tournaments. Off hours coverage and population determine the score. A tower sitting T3 overnight won it for you, not you playing. It's pure delusion to think otherwise, which feeds into a hefty sense of ego.

The game isn't just about you. If you really can't understand the 6 words, you really need work on it.

I understand that there are people who play this gamemode "as originally intended" and want to win at the end of the week and have server pride. All that. I have made that clear that that is something that I understand. There are people who agree with you. There are people who agree with me. No one's right. No one's wrong. We can establish at least that.

What you need to ponder is why you still hold onto it. The game has grown and evolved since its inception. It's made for the players. And players are responsible for "emergent gameplay". Is this style, this method of playing the game any less valid than yours because it doesn't hold fast and true to what was "originally intended"? Is it something that should be shunned? Looked down upon? Each side is always going to do that to the other.

So that brings us back to why. Why do you still do what you do? How has it not grown old to you, how have you not burnt out? The gameplay
cannot fix the fact that individual effort has negligible, if that, impact on the score at the end of the week. No matter what you do, you can't change that by continuing to play that way. This is why people gave up playing that way. This is why many continue to play the way I play. I implore you to think long and hard about why you play a style that so many have left behind and the driving motivations for people like me to play the way I play.

inb4 you don't read anything that I wrote you just repeat what you've said the last two times

Then maybe you shouldn't have quote me. When you quote someone, you asking attention from that someone and that is what I did, I gave you my attention.When I made that post, I believe it is objective, suggesting people play their games differently, have their own perspectives of winning.

However, the moment you quoted me and gave me your piece, you are screaming "I am more important".

If you are trying to use my post as a reference to rant about things, you chose the wrong reference.

I understand people play the game differently. I truly understand that, no, I really do. What I'm trying to do is get you to understand my perspective. I understand yours. Can you understand mine? My hope is that maybe we can learn more about differing perspectives. Will you do this with me?

@Honest John.4673 said:

Grow up.

only

I'm trying to get you to
understand
my perspective. I understand yours. Can you understand mine? My hope is that maybe we can learn more about differing perspectives. Will you do this with me?

When I wrote that post, wasn't that perspective already included? Read it again, did it not mention that some people play for guilds or for that particular moment?Sure, I didn't explicitly wrote the type of playstyles but do I need to? When people play for guilds or particular moment, it can include fights, roaming, ppt and harassing, whatever. There are a lot of possibilities, they decide that. Do I need to write it explicitly clear for something with much possibilities?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

Grow up.

only

I'm trying to get you to
understand
my perspective. I understand yours. Can you understand mine? My hope is that maybe we can learn more about differing perspectives. Will you do this with me?

When I wrote that post, wasn't that perspective already included? Read it again, did it not mention that some people play for guilds or for that particular moment?Sure, I didn't explicitly wrote the type of playstyles but do I need to? When people play for guilds or particular moment, it can include fights, roaming, ppt and harassing, whatever. There are a lot of possibilities, they decide that. Do I need to write it explicitly clear for something with much possibilities?

You can acknowledge that different play styles exist. You can describe them. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm asking if you understand the motivations that drive players away from the game's original rules to make a style of their own. Why are there players who got bored with the game's original purpose still playing?

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:You DO know there is a PM system for personal discussions?

Back on topic: Winning hasn’t meant anything since seasons, and even then, it was questionable as to how much it actually meant.

This isn't personal discussion. It is on topic. I'm just deliberately avoiding the charged terms of "fights" and "ppt"

@Honest John.4673 said:

Grow up.

only

I'm trying to get you to
understand

You can acknowledge that different play styles exist. You can describe them. But that's not what I'm here for. I'm asking if you understand the motivations that drive players away from the game's original rules to make a style of their own. Why are there players who got bored with the game's original purpose still playing?

It's like the city built a basketball court, but the hoops were kind of off-center and not very fun for basketball, so people play soccer in it instead.

I recall back in the old days when Server rivalries were heated and we had affectionate names for one another.I recall back in the old days, it was an honor to have fought alongside your home server and led them to Tier 1.

Now it seems like all that Server Identity and Loyalty is diminished.Players have gravitated more towards Guild Loyalty.Servers no longer experience the same rivalries of old.Players and Guilds transfer from server to server at will.There doesn't seem to be a sense of belonging to any home server now.There is little drive to bring a server to Tier 1, and in fact, some even actively avoid getting anywhere near Tier 1.

@Chaba.5410 said:

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:Now it seems like all that Server Identity and Loyalty is diminished.Players have gravitated more towards Guild Loyalty.

That started to occur when a majority of players finally realized that stacking servers with numbers and coverage lead to a win. It made wins meaningless.

^^Then they got rid of glicko. added 1u/1d and linking. it only confirmed that the majority of the higher tier guilds were utter trash carried by coverage.