unidentified gear (salvage all)

tim.4596

Illconceived:

Thanks for your comments.

The tomes and writs come from the daily rewards.

Of the Pact map items I only have eight. They'll be gone inside a week.

The treasure finding kits are going into the bank. Or, rather, onto a designated Highlands farmer. Thanks for the reminder!

Re: the home stone and ML passkey, I use them differently. The home stone is because I don't have a designated home instance farmer. (I may change that, since I have 27 level 80s now.) The ML passkey gets used several times a day, but by different characters.

I actually have a route for each homestead. It's pretty efficient; I only have to change the implements 8-10 times (depending on which home). I use the time running between nodes to make the switches (except in the Sylvari home, which has ... issues. I try not to farm there much.)

Oh, every character has his own crude salvage kit. Only only have to swap them when one of them runs out. Same applies to the implements.

Going to the ML Sanctuary takes time to get to. I only go there or the guild hall when I have more than one swap to make.

Your comments hinting at penny-wise, pound-foolish are valid, though. It truly is a time vs. money questions, but my personality won't let me waste money. I know in my mind that it would be better to use the extra time for farming zones, missions, or events, but ... I just can't do it. I would use the excuse that I was brought up in the Depression, but even I'm not that old. :)

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Etria.3642 said:What they said...here is why. One stack of blue unid salvaged unopened WILL be salvaged as one stack of BLUE gear. No ifs, No maybes. Selling it saves you time. Opening it means instead you're salvaging 235 blues 14 greens and s yellow or exotic(which can be sold salvaged or kept).

This is incorrect. While they said they fixed it so that magic find isn't applied twice, they're wrong. I've seen dozens, maybe even hundreds of blue unids turn into green gear (and even a yellow or two).

Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.

Riiight, that's why I said to open them. Open or sell as is. Never salvage unopen. Unless you meant to reply to someone else?

That's why I said opening them would get you things other than blue but salvaging unopened is just blue.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Etria.3642 said:What they said...here is why. One stack of blue unid salvaged unopened WILL be salvaged as one stack of BLUE gear. No ifs, No maybes. Selling it saves you time. Opening it means instead you're salvaging 235 blues 14 greens and s yellow or exotic(which can be sold salvaged or kept).

This is incorrect; @Etria.3642's explanation is on the mark. While they said they fixed it so that magic find isn't applied twice, they're wrong. I've seen dozens, maybe even hundreds of blue unids turn into green gear (and even a yellow or two).As stated, that's an inaccurate description of the mechanic. Like any
container
, unID gear has drop tables. Those tables include various subtables with different levels of rarity, much like BL chests do (only with far more variety).

For example, blue|common unID looks something like:

• Likely: fine quality gear, with skins from core Tyria. Within this table, there's a tiny chance of trinkets; otherwise, it's primarily weapons and some armor pieces.
  • Unlikely: masterwork gear, ditto.
  • Very unlikely: rare gear; ditto, plus reclaimed weapons, elonian weapons.
  • Extremely unlikely: exotics, ditto, plus awakened.

In the old regime, your chance of getting "likely" drops could be reduced to 0% by applying sufficient magic find. Under the existing mechanics, MF does not apply. On any given stack, you still might get more than one exotic, more than a few rares. On average, though, you'll get mostly blues, some greens, and a couple rares.

What remains true is that MF affects whether you get blue, green, or yellow unID containers, after killing a foe.

Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.The process is working precisely as intended. Even if it worked as you think it should, it would still be profitable to open and salvage, because of the increased value of the loot you get. At least, the masterwork|uncommon containers would. The blues might not.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:Illconceived:The tomes and writs come from the daily rewards.The best uses of the slots are for things that happen throughout your gameplay; tomes & writs are one-offs that you can reserve for when you're at the bank.

Of the Pact map items I only have eight. They'll be gone inside a week.I get that; it's still a one-off and not the best use of your slot.In contrast, if you were visiting the pact supply agents daily on 5-6 different characters, then it would be easier to use a slot to collect the items.

The treasure finding kits are going into the bank. Or, rather, onto a designated Highlands farmer. Thanks for the reminder!Victory! (for you :) -- one slot freed up for something else)

Re: the home stone and ML passkey, I use them differently. The home stone is because I don't have a designated home instance farmer. (I may change that, since I have 27 level 80s now.) The ML passkey gets used several times a day, but by different characters.Then I recommend designated one character for home instances, some sort of roamer.

I actually have a route for each homestead. It's pretty efficient; I only have to change the implements 8-10 times (depending on which home). I use the time running between nodes to make the switches (except in the Sylvari home, which has ... issues. I try not to farm there much.)You could still do that using non-shared slots. Although, see below.

Oh, every character has his own crude salvage kit. Only only have to swap them when one of them runs out. Same applies to the implements.So you are using up 28 slots for crude kits: one per each of 27 toons plus one in the shared slot. That loses you the advantage of the slot.(And septuply so for the gathering tools.)

Going to the ML Sanctuary takes time to get to. I only go there or the guild hall when I have more than one swap to make.Which is fine. The point is: most of the time you won't need to.

Your comments hinting at penny-wise, pound-foolish are valid, though. It truly is a time vs. money questions, but my personality won't let me waste money. I know in my mind that it would be better to use the extra time for farming zones, missions, or events, but ... I just can't do it. I would use the excuse that I was brought up in the Depression, but even I'm not that old. :)First: I'm very sympathetic, because I'll go to Siren's Landing to save a few silver when heading to Cursed Shore etc.

One way to wean yourself out of it is to remind yourself that your time is a much more limited resource than your copper. Clicking 20+ times to swap to the perfect tool means you're losing the very convenience that you want to gain from having more shared inventory slots. Would you go back to opening bags one at a time? To salvaging gear one piece at a time?

I needed to do it because I realized I was spending more & more time in the game doing my "calisthenics" -- daily routines that I felt I needed to repeat, because they were just too easy and too efficient. I was burning out on it. Reducing the amount of activities and mouse clicks was essential to my continued enjoyment of the game.

You might not yet be at that point. Each of us has a different level of tolerance. So keep on with what works for you.I do note that the reason we got into the gory detail of your routine was that you were concerned that you didn't have enough shared inventory slots to set up things to be convenient. So I think there's a part of you that is ready to move on to a new set of routines.

Or put another way: don't wait until you're nearly burned out to adapt your habits.

@Etria.3642 said:

This is incorrect. While they said they fixed it so that magic find isn't applied twice, they're wrong. I've seen dozens, maybe even hundreds of blue unids turn into green gear (and even a yellow or two).

Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.

Riiight, that's why I said to open them. Open or sell as is. Never salvage unopen. Unless you meant to reply to someone else?

That's why I said opening them would get you things other than blue but salvaging unopened is just blue.

No, sorry, I just misread your post.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.The process is working precisely as intended. Even if it worked as you think it should, it would still be profitable to open and salvage, because of the increased value of the loot you get. At least, the masterwork|uncommon containers would. The blues might not.

According to their statement (in the patch notes when they made the change), blue unids should always produce blue gear. (Same for green and yellow.)

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.The process is working precisely as intended. Even if it worked as you think it should, it would still be profitable to open and salvage, because of the increased value of the loot you get. At least, the masterwork|uncommon containers would. The blues might not.

According to their statement (in the patch notes when they made the change), blue unids should always produce blue gear. (Same for green and yellow.)

They dident say that, they said magic find wouldent boost the upgrade rate when you id gear anymore only affect if you get blue green or yellow when it droped from mobs.

@Daddicus.6128 said:I like the idea of shared slots, too. However, there aren't anywhere near enough of them. I only have one free, and I have to work pretty hard to keep that one open.

they are highly overpriced.i have 7. Pass, Salvage Copper, Salvage Silver, LW teleport book and 3 for the unIDs .maybe 2 or 3 more would be nice, but IMO they are to expensiv

@Linken.6345 said:

They dident say that, they said magic find wouldent boost the upgrade rate when you id gear anymore only affect if you get blue green or yellow when it droped from mobs.

I may have misunderstood. Do you remember a link to that statement? I'll read it again and see where I went wrong.

Thanks!

@Stalkingwolf.6035 said:

@Daddicus.6128 said:I like the idea of shared slots, too. However, there aren't anywhere near enough of them. I only have one free, and I have to work pretty hard to keep that one open.

they are highly overpriced.i have 7. Pass, Salvage Copper, Salvage Silver, LW teleport book and 3 for the unIDs .maybe 2 or 3 more would be nice, but IMO they are to expensiv

I can agree with you there. But, as a self-confessed packrat, I find them handy enough to pay. I would even pay more for later ones. Say if they charged 1000 for numbers 25-30 or something, it would fly out of my (digital) wallet.

But, I certainly understand not wanting to pay the high price. Most people do a better job of managing their inventory than I do.

@Daddicus.6128 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Until they fix the processes completely, it still pays to open them and then salvage.The process is working precisely as intended. Even if it worked as you think it should, it would still be profitable to open and salvage, because of the increased value of the loot you get. At least, the masterwork|uncommon containers would. The blues might not.

I may have misunderstood. Do you remember a link to that statement? I'll read it again and see where I went wrong.

Thanks!

For example

Magic find no longer affects the identification of unidentified gear. (Patch notes)

For example:

Magic find will no longer affect the results of identifying Unidentified Gear. (Forum post.)and same source• Unidentified Gear drops are influenced by magic find twice—once when received as a drop and once when identified.• Fine, masterwork, and rare equipment drops are influenced by magic find once, when received as a drop.

Generally, the obligation to provide a source is on the person making the claim.

• 9 months later...