Why has this game not implemented builds templates already? it has been 6+ years since launch.

Hitman.5829

Ok, ok, I got legendary armor and I can swap builds anytime I want, but the time it takes is just a waste of time and game play.Why can't my legendary gear save templates? this is ridiculous, I spend more time changing stats on gear, runes, sigils, and infusions than actual game play.

• In sergs I need to change all of my runes, gear stats, sigils, infusions.
  • In small group I need to change again
  • Solo roaming, I need to change again.
  • PvE content, I need to change again.

Calculate the time it takes to fully change gear, stats, sigils, infusions, etc... and you waste a lot of time doing something that a player should not be wasting time. A player should be playing the game, not wasting time changing stats for every single equipment there is.

There are 6 gear items, 5 accessories, 2 weaponsThere are 20 infusion slotsThere are 4 sigil slotsThere are 6 rune slots

That is a lot of things to go through every time you need to change one build. What happened to the moto "user friendly." This game is very tedious and I would even go as far as to say that this game enslaves you doing meaningless tasks that don't need to be done. The developers should make user friendly games.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/

The Future

We also have our sights set on a few features that have already been in development for some time. Please understand that these are all works in progress, so details can change between here and the final version, and we don’t have a timeline for the release of any of these. These features will ship when they are ready.

• The rune and sigil salvaging release last year was in anticipation of releasing legendary runes and sigils—the final components of legendary core equipment.
  • Over the past few months, astute players have been noticing a trend of updates and improvements to how our skill-slotting system works and have accurately speculated that the long-requested feature of build templates is in the works.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/

The Future

We also have our sights set on a few features that have already been in development for some time.
Please understand that these are all works in progress, so details can change between here and the final version, and we don’t have a timeline for the release of any of these.
These features will ship when they are ready.
  • The rune and sigil salvaging release last year was in anticipation of releasing legendary runes and sigils—the final components of legendary core equipment.
  • Over the past few months, astute players have been noticing a trend of updates and improvements to how our skill-slotting system works and have accurately speculated that
    the long-requested feature of build templates is in the works

We all know that an announcement like this is going to take years to put it in the game.The question is: why did not they think about it in the first place? why is this taking them 6+ years to finally make it into the game?

@Hitman.5829 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:
The Future

We also have our sights set on a few features that have already been in development for some time.
Please understand that these are all works in progress, so details can change between here and the final version, and we don’t have a timeline for the release of any of these.
  • Over the past few months, astute players have been noticing a trend of updates and improvements to how our skill-slotting system works and have accurately speculated that

We all know that an announcement like this is going to take years to put it in the game.The question is: why did not they think about it in the first place? why is this taking them 6+ years to finally make it into the game?

No idea, because there is no good way for NCSoft to monetize it? I figured this might have been an at/near release feature, seems very useful.

@Hitman.5829 said:We all know that an announcement like this is going to take years to put it in the game.We don't know that. We know that it's close enough that they were willing to mention it for the first time in seven years as something they were actively considering.

The question is: why did not they think about it in the first place?We know this: they thought it would distract players from learning mechanics.(Plot twist: of course it would have and yet many players were even more distracted by trying to find ways of copying someone else's builds without templates/loadouts)

why is this taking them 6+ years to finally make it into the game?We also know this:

• They decided against implementing it originally
  • It's always a pain to retroactively include features like this.
  • They didn't consider it that important.

I don't agree with their original choice; I think it was short-sighted. I also don't agree with their decision to push it to the back burner: relative to some features they did implement, I think this would have been more useful to more people.

Nevertheless, I can accept that they thought about it, considered the pros & cons carefully, and decided not to listen to me anyhow. Since their livelihood depends on making such choices and only my gameplay matters, I think I'm willing to give them a pass on this particular decision, because generally the game is a lot of fun despite the lack of templates+loadouts.

Regardless of our personal views, it's moot. They now have a public goal to add templates (and, one hopes, loadouts) to the game. It's not going to happen any faster because people make more posts about it.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Becoz they spent part of those years working on another project which didn't work out in the end.

Actually, it's unlikely that had any affect at all on GW2. Roughly speaking, the number of people working on GW2 now is about the same as it was before the layoffs. The only projects confirmed to be canceled were non-GW2 and that accounts for all the staff positions (and equivalents) there were killed by NCSOFT.

The layoffs affected morale and planning. And it would have affected people who moved back and forth. Except that worked both ways: sometimes GW2 would lose a few artists for a few weeks while they worked on "not GW2;" and sometimes "not GW2" would lose a few level designers for a few weeks to work on an urgent GW2 situation.

What the layoffs didn't do: add more staff hours to be spent on GW2.

Besides which, if that was the case, March would have been too soon to announce build templates as something they were actively readying; it would be an idea they had just dusted off and weren't close enough to make any claims about.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/

The Future

Exactly what I was going to link to. Because we've already announced it's coming, I'm going to close this thread.