Desert BL - Is it Time To Remove It?

Ni In.6578

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DBL has always done great in polls, sadly those who vote don't seem to actually play the game, as it's always an empty map.

What is funny is that when it was still new and people were doing polls on it, people were very vocal about keeping it and how amazing it was etc etc, yet any time of day it was empty of players, when resets happened it was ALWAYS the last map to queue if it ever did at all, there would be 20+ deep queues on ABL and 30+ EBG, and I would go to DBL and find maybe 6 people on the map. Meaning you had 70 people who would rather sit in a queue and do nothing, then go to DBL. Sure, it does great in forum polls, but actual in game usage does not reflect that it seems.

I would love to see the actual data anet has on this.

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:DBL has always done great in polls, sadly those who vote don't seem to actually play the game, as it's always an empty map.

3rd party sites that track activity show a huge disparity between the other maps and redbl. Maybe redbl does well in polls because the map is so deserted it's players can afford to be sitting on the forums voting ;)

@acdspydar.8920 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:I'd rather a 3rd new borderland added.

Jungle BL or something.

No

No

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH NOT ANOTHER HoT map

Actually, green BL being a jungle map multi-layered would be the greatest power move flex on WvW players ANet could ever do. I would enjoy every second of it, especially salt from kitten players, lol.

Maybe accept a auric basin style map... Not a tangled depths one, that one suxs in pve land let alone pvp

Make balance improvements to eotm, and dbl, swap one alpine border for eotm.Have dbl, abl, eotm, and ebg.

Dbl keep lords are too kitten to fight as a zerg in there, aoe fear on the whole zerg while defenders are pushing? Getting caught in a well sized circle, that you cant even escape with stab? Hell nah.

I thought about it in depth now:

Swap EB with EoTM - People on this forum says EoTM is for fights, now they would get fights.Swap 2x ABL with 2x DBL - People on this forum also says it's so little populated so changing putting DBL in place of ABL will automatically make 2x the people play on DBL because that's how populations work.Swap the remaining ABL with Tangled Depths - It's simply the best PvE map and WvWers are really into PvE so that makes it the best WvW map.Swap EoTM (instances) with Lions Arch (WvW version) - So that we can craft and roleplay etc.

All problems with WvW solved.

The problem with DBL is that even if they did improve the map from how it looked at first, they did not go far enough with the changes.

DBL still has the same problems as EoTM do as a map - too many things that keep players away from each other (chokes, elevation etc.) that just does not fit with fighting other players.

Also, even if the keeps are large with some open spaces between walls (which is generally a good thing) they too feel like they have too much clutter (constructions in elevation etc.) and weird themes (8-bit platform games etc.). To each their own with the themes I guess but for me the replay value of such textures is pretty low and the cluttering of various things to climb and stuff inside the open spaces detracts from the space potential inside keeps.

The big deterrent is still the ravines and stuff though, once you've played the map a fair bit they just become annoying and does not facilitate fighting at any scale. Much like in EotM, the replay value of throwing people off cliffs is also pretty low.

In short, DBL could be a good map, it's just that they didn't go far enough with making it open and accessible. It still suffers from HoT era PvE design issues.

DBL could also be a good rotational map in an EB-style-map-only overflow system (that I've talked about a couple of times in the past).

@subversiontwo.7501 said:In short, DBL could be a good map, it's just that they didn't go far enough with making it open and accessible. It still suffers from HoT era PvE design issues.

DBL could also be a good rotational map in an EB-style-map-only overflow system (that I've talked about a couple of times in the past).

Without the terrain keeping players separated, you end up with a very zerg-y map, where small groups are completely ineffective because a large zerg can traverse the map so easily, they can just roll around wiping every smaller group in their path. If a zerg has to commit travel time to moving to a place, it advantages smaller groups which can be in multiple places at once, unlike a map queue.

I personally like smaller fights (5v5, 10v10, up to 20v20) and dislike zerging (50v50), so the sort of play desert promotes serves me just fine. You should have to split your forces and run in separate groups across that map. EBG is fine as a single-blob vs single-blob map, but the borderlands should encourage smaller fights only grouping up for a full queue vs queue fight on a garrison attack.

@coro.3176 said:

@"subversiontwo.7501" said:In short, DBL could be a good map, it's just that they didn't go far enough with making it open and accessible. It still suffers from HoT era PvE design issues.

Without the terrain keeping players separated, you end up with a very zerg-y map, where small groups are completely ineffective because a large zerg can traverse the map so easily, they can just roll around wiping every smaller group in their path. If a zerg has to commit travel time to moving to a place, it advantages smaller groups which can be in multiple places at once, unlike a map queue.

I personally like smaller fights (5v5, 10v10, up to 20v20) and dislike zerging (50v50), so the sort of play desert promotes serves me just fine. You
should
have to split your forces and run in separate groups across that map. EBG is fine as a single-blob vs single-blob map, but the borderlands should encourage smaller fights only grouping up for a full queue vs queue fight on a garrison attack.

I like small fights too, it's just that our cultures and experiences seems to be different as where I play (four servers in EU, usually tiers 1-2), the two most popular maps for roamers and raiders are alpine borders and EBG. On one server in particular the roaming guilds or players whenever they feel so inclined essentially "own" home alpine and no one else goes there because it creates a queue hell. So it often ends up completely dedicated to roaming and clouds forming when opposing servers send in larger groups, while all larger friendly guilds and pickup squads populate EBG and offensive alpines and DBL is only really played for less competetive roaming or uncontended havoc capture and counter PPT (basically barren, only used casually or if it needs cleaning up).

Obviously, what opposing servers do affects these things to a fair degree but I often find the servers I am on to shape and dictate the norm. Especially that aforementioned server since opposing groups know they can always go to that one border for that kind of content (general roaming and clouding). If you're in a more dedicated 5v5 group then, yes, maybe you often pick DBL then to meet up but that's perhaps more a question of access to maps than using the maps as with GvG at any scale.

I think we need a third battleground type so that each of the three borderlands offers a different experience from the other two.

Unfortunately, the wvw forum community in GW2 is always the group that seems the most resistant to change and trying new things (and then complains about wvw "being ignored").

@Ni In.6578 said:In T2 - T4 NA, Red BL is where you go for free keep caps as green or blue. It's simply not defended.

Lack of overtime sable players, well siege structures game mechanics should count with population descrepancy, gw2 does nothing since was ment for ktrain vs smaller servers.

Lack of objectivity in game.