Removing Language Restrictions for EU World Linking

Well how can french/german/spanish people play games wich are only in english. you can still turn the game into german/french/spanish mode.

Atleast for me i like the idea

1. I can sing German Volksmusic
  2. I can Listen french rap and non non rien change
  3. and i like food so i would take some spanish tapas. Spended once 200 euro at plaza mayor cause we orded tapas for 10 people while we were 4 :-1:Even as a dutch person i can dive into orther languages. why would it be so hard to go over to english? and we live in 2019 evreything is possible!
  4. Excited
  5. Looking forward
  6. i hope people will intergrate well and enjoy their stay with out language barrier (server).

For me i would love to have more german/french/spanish people join the eu servers!

Nother the less i am a bit crazy i really look forward to this! thanks Anet :heart:

I understand and respect this subject can polarize players.

Potentially affecting larger fight but not necessarily in a bad way. Commanders coordinating in-between themselves can be entertaining and strong.

Playing on an "English" server in EU myself with American in-laws:

1) I meet non-English players/guilds on a daily basis. They made a choice(!) and seem to like it since they are staying.

2) Remember.. a lot of European players face this challenge already. Poland is gigantic. They don't have a server. Lithuania? Belgium? Greece? What about the middle east? It's easier to rationalize language specific servers in PvE but putting languages as a limitation on a competitive game mode is... hmmm....

3) I have a feeling Europeans out of necessity "cheat" in languages in a different way than e.g. Americans. I never liked languages back in school. Yet I could /easily/ play in a handful European languages (Swedish, English, Norwegian, Danish?), I could probably get around on a couple more (French, German, Spanish) and I have some rudimentary understanding (read: cursing) in a handful of other languages.

I believe this will be positive.

From my experience it looks like people who spoke languages that are worldwide popular; like spanish, french or german, are rather unlikely to use english, sometimes they even can't. So this may turn into communication nightmare, when server won't be able to communicate. This is like confusing languages at the tower of Babel xD

As the other thread is closed I add my thoughts here as well:I don't see that as a huge problem. For example on Riverside (DE), we had some international guilds/commanders on our server who sometimes also leaded the puplic zerg and that usually went quite well. Some of them also joined the German commanders as the fight commands (empower, bomb, fake push...) are mostly given in English. I've never heard anyone using the German word for "choke" (the German word would be too long to use in a fight^^).The English words "keep", "gate", "home border", "camp" and "EBG" are also regularly used in ts, so most people know them as well.

There are 4 maps to play on, so it shouldn't be a problem to have an English lead on one map and a German/French/Spanish/Russian... lead on another. Especially for those who either don't feel comfortable to lead in English or those who just prefer to talk in their mother tongue.

I don't know the French or Spanish "chat codes" for what is happening, but there isn't much difference between English and German:German: inc wt, 30+ Kodasch, 3 katas

The names for some of the locations (wt=Westturm/west tower) may be confusing at first if servers use different words for it, but I think people will get used to the different terms soon. And if someone doesn't know how to say something in English I think there'll be someone to translate it.For example I don't know how "bay" and "hill" is called on the DBL in English. We use "Palast" (palace) and "Gruft" (vault, crypt).

And since megaservers people playing on an EU server should be used to read different languages in chat.Ther are only some rare individuals left who still have a problem when the chat on a map or a guild advertisement isn't in English ("write in English you baguette/kitten... we have megaservers").You just can't help such narrow-minded people. (How can anybody have a problem with a written text in a foreign language? I'll never understand that.)__

@"Rhiannon.1726" said:The English words "keep", "gate", "home border", "camp" and "EBG" are also regularly used in ts, so most people know them as well.The names for some of the locations (wt=Westturm/west tower) may be confusing at first if servers use different words for it, but I think people will get used to the different terms soon. And if someone doesn't know how to say something in English I think there'll be someone to translate it.

In french we also use some english words in vocals like empo, bomb, push/cross... but merged with french words like "gauche/droite" for left/right.And a lot of french abbreviation are different ! To keep your example : keep = fort, gate = porte, camp is the same, EBG=CBE (champ de bataille éternel). The worse to understand for non-french people will be the name locations^^

And like i said in the other thread, many french people don't understand english at all (or very few words) so it will be messy at the beginning.

I think this is an amazing change, but it's done 3-4 years too late. Let's hope people who are used to speak their national languages in WvW can adapt to english.

@phreeak.1023 said:What are the English words ppl arebusing for the 2 forts in west and east on desert and alpine? In German its Gruft(Tomb)/Palast(Palace) - Hügel(Hill)/Bucht(Bay)It's Bay and Hills on Alpine, and on desert border, either Bay and Hills too, for the consistency's sake, or Fire Keep for west and Air keep for east.

This convention is what I see used most on "international" EU server links (that usually mix nationalities under the English language convention):Garri => "home fortress" of the map + (e.g. "home garri" is your own, "red garri" is the central keep on the desert BL)SMC = Stone Mist Castle (on EB)EB towers & keeps locations are usually pinged in chat or written out like "Durios"Bay / Hills / Fire / Air for all the keeps on the borderlandsNC for North Camp (both Alpine & DBL)SC for South Camp (both Alpine & DBL)Quarry & Mills for the supply camps west & eastVale & Water for the southern spawn campsBriar & Lake + Sunny & Crag for the Alpine towers (although I don't think it is universal, most of the times Towers are pinged because of the colour confusion of Redlake, Greenlake etc.)

@reddie.5861 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:As we prepare for world restructuring in World vs. World, we’ll be removing language restrictions in the upcoming EU world links. This will help us create fairer links and gather data on the impact of grouping together players who speak different languages.

To discuss the change, we have created this thread and we welcome your feedback. Please make sure to only use the current thread and not create new threads, so that we can gather your feedback. Thank you!

here big hint for you, as i seen german or french or maybe spanish guy before linking stuff in chat in WvW.we cant click it we do not know kitten he wants us to deffend.

so remove all languages from "interest points" and force english for every1 or we simply cant click on what they want us to deffend.or make it clickable in all languages even tho i never understood which fool decide to make client (any given game) in multiple langauges its probably most dumbest thing u can do forcing people to split community and eventually u have to reunite em which is gonna be a pain in the kitten for every1 again.

edit

btw ill be laughing when u mix germans with france server..one nation building million sieges in their towers/keeps the other 1 is dodging every fight to ppt behind enemy back brilliant couple.add the spanish to it to dodge all fights during night when no1 plays best ppt server ever, inc soon!

Instead of forcing a single language upon EVERYONE, which possibly includes people who don't speak English, I'd rather like the change to be like: Whenever a point of interest, waypoint or anything is linked in chat, it appears in the language of the person looking at it, not the language of the person linking. This way everyone knows where they need to go.

@metoutch.2367 said:Instead of forcing a single language upon EVERYONE, which possibly includes people who don't speak English, I'd rather like the change to be like: Whenever a point of interest, waypoint or anything is linked in chat, it appears in the language of the person looking at it, not the language of the person linking. This way everyone knows where they need to go.

Everything (waypoints, poi, gear, dyes...) that is linked in chat appears in the language of your account and not in the language of the person linking it.

This is definitely going to backfire spectacularly. Communications is important for wvw and if you put people that can’t understand each other together you’re not going to get an effective team. Instead of making things “fairer” you’ll make it more frustrating and less effective.

The only way this could be alleviated is if you improved the UI to allow for simple preset macro commands the commander can send out similar to how MOBAs do it. Even then it’s less effective than direct voice chat communications.

Been in Baruch Bay for several months there. Not knowing Spanish while a Spanish commander was leading was not a problem, even created some funny memes and jokes about it afterwards. However I do not know how it was when my commander was commanding in English for them in open tags, I know that few people were angry and told us to leave, but the majority were nice and supportive. We were one guild of 20 people and now when world will be linked it will be interesting, be sure that more memes will be coming.

@metoutch.2367 said:Instead of forcing a single language upon EVERYONEThere is absolutely nothing in the change that forces a single language upon ANYONE.

Anet cannot force you to speak English anymore than they can force everyone to speak Spanish on Baruch or German on Kodash.

You can twist and turn this change all you want but at the end of the day its just a removal of a restriction.

@phreeak.1023 said:What are the English words ppl arebusing for the 2 forts in west and east on desert and alpine? In German its Gruft(Tomb)/Palast(Palace) - Hügel(Hill)/Bucht(Bay)@metoutch.2367 said:Instead of forcing a single language upon EVERYONE, which possibly includes people who don't speak English, I'd rather like the change to be like: Whenever a point of interest, waypoint or anything is linked in chat, it appears in the language of the person looking at it, not the language of the person linking. This way everyone knows where they need to go.@wanya.1697 said:I think if possible we should avoid using the actuall names of the locations as much as possible as they differ too much in each languageand just use directions eg west tower instead of sunny or east camp instead of foghaven

This is all a non-issue! The client translates all in-game links into the language YOU have chosen. So please chill and don't make up problems were none exist. Of course, players need to actually 'ping' locations with the ingame link and not just type them in the chat themselves.

Would be nice if we stop talking about non-issues or imaginary problems and actually start providing ANET with thoughts about the prospective changes. I for sure welcome the change since the current system is broken and the new proposal gives hope of more balanced pairings in the future until the great 'restructuring' takes place.

@nonuothree.4937 said:Is Mexico in the NA region? Is Russia in the EU region?The question doesn't apply. Anyone from anywhere can play in any region.

The NA designation is by the location of its datacenter, in North America (specifically Virginia). Likewise the EU region's database is in Europe (specifically Frankfurt). These are geographic designations, not political or national ones.

I think I understand. So if I was living in Mexico, I could play on the NA servers. If I was in Russia I could play on European Servers. Thus the idea is to remove language restrictions which would otherwise interfere with me being able to pick which geographical region to play on? Technically, its probably bette to say European Servers then rather than EU worlds.

@nonuothree.4937 said:I think I understand. So if I was living in Mexico, I could play on the NA servers. If I was in Russia I could play on European Servers. Thus the idea is to remove language restrictions which would otherwise interfere with me being able to pick which geographical region to play on? Technically, its probably bette to say European Servers then rather than EU worlds.What are you even talking about?

You can play on any server in any of the 2 regions regardless if where in the world you are. There is nothing stopping you right now and there wont anything stopping it after the removal of the national link restrictions. Calling it world or server is semantics.

So you are saying that at the moment I can play on any server I like, European or North American. And in the future I can also play on any server I like. So what do they mean by removing language restrictions? You can't both be right, either there are restrictions or there are not.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Stephane Lo Presti.7258" said:I want to make a specific statement about the part of this discussion where players' feedback address countries: this change is not about the countries, it's about the language and the fact that it won't be used during the next World Linking. I want to be extra clear that, while countries and languages are related, we will not allow any aggressive or disrespectful comment about the country of origin or culture or players. On the extreme end of the spectrum, racism or xenophobia will get forum posters a temporary or permanent ban.

You can talk about the impact that this could have on the gameplay (for example the fact that there are time zones) or the current language servers, but we will infract posts who take an aggressive stance on what is said about players speaking French, German or Spanish.

Just for extra clarification: for the next relink (28/06/2019), will the national servers be linked with international ones, or not ? I understood that not, but other people that yes, so just to be crystal clear

There are no "national servers." All worlds are (and always have been) international. The only distinction ever made is whether
language
is used as one more component in determining which worlds are matched with which.

This change, for at least one linkage period, will remove that distinction.

In other words: yes, a German-language world could be linked up with a default-language world. For example, Elona (DE, primary world) could be matched with Aurora (no specific language). This will allow, for example, ANet to shore up Baruch (ES, running lower on pop than others) and without any other ES world to pair with. It will also give them more opportunities to match the lowest pop worlds with a world of appropriate size, rather than what's left among the same-language worlds.

As I've said elsewhere, this is an obvious experiment to take
before
Restructuring. If it works, it gives ANet better flexibility in matching Alliances. And if it doesn't work, they can adjust their formulas accordingly. All of this is better to discover now, rather than during Restructuring; people have such high expectations, it's important to take as much of the guesswork out as possible.

Thank you for explaining what I already know :smiley: The question was if for next relink, at the end of this month, we can have already like Kodash linked with Gunnar's Hold or is it for even later