edited June 3, 2019 in PVP

Hello,

I have not played gw2 for 6 years now, last time PvP was:

4 maps
Everyone standing in circles
Mesmers spamming confusion
Everyone spamming stability
One team gets crushed at start and you wait for time to run out

And the developers focused fully on PvE with every single update being focused there.

Was not sure how to search for this information in forum, so sorry if there exists similar topics.

Comments

• Lukin.4061Lukin.4061 Member ✭✭

Thank you for your answers. Sad that the state of PvP did not change - at start I really thought it had a lot of potential...

@Vancho.8750 said:
    Do you know what is the worst part about it it is the best MMO PVP on the market. Holly hell MMO companies don't even try anymore with pvp.

Yes, I saw a really big potential in this game for pvp - no gear advantage, different roles, no healers spamming heal, big maps with goals. It could've been big, yet there was no support update after update...

• Khalisto.5780Khalisto.5780 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 4, 2019

@Vancho.8750 said:
    Do you know what is the worst part about it it is the best MMO PVP on the market. Holly hell MMO companies don't even try anymore with pvp.

They won't even try, with other games fully commited to pvp with millions of dollars to work with mmos will just focus on pve stuff.

Gw2 had its chance with ESL, they said game was boring to watch, and anet couldn't work around that.

edited June 4, 2019

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

They won't even try, with other games fully commited to pvp with millions of dollars to work with mmos will just focus on pve stuff.

Gw2 had his chance with ESL, they said game was boring to watch, and anet couldn't work around that.

Yes, I remember that argument that it is useless to focus on pvp since it is not worth it. That is how this vicious circle started PvP is bad -> low population playing pvp - > not worth investing - PvP is bad.

• dtox.8397dtox.8397 Member ✭✭

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

Gw2 had its chance with ESL, they said game was boring to watch, and anet couldn't work around that.

Srsly? I mean PvP in GW2 is very dynamic, i dont see how it gets boring

• Vancho.8750Vancho.8750 Member ✭✭✭

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

If they went in the direction of smaller scale in 2v2 3v3 arena deathmatch they would have won, but no lets stick with circle quest. Look at WoW they have battlegrounds but the main thing that is watched for pvp is the Arena, since it is easier to follow small number of people at the same time and even though the mechanics in there were made worse and worse with every iteration it is still somewhat entertaining.

• DigiQWill.6378DigiQWill.6378 Member ✭✭✭

@dtox.8397 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

Back then, it was simply a matter of who gets ownership first, since you wouldn't die from anything if played minimally well and things like "X skill makes you lose node" didn't exist. IE, chronobunker used to be able to capture node while in Continuum Split or Distorted, while it isn't the case anymore.

To OP: the PvP isn't that bad as to say it's hopeless, and it isn't purely spamming. But a few builds on, let's say Engineer or Revenant, outclass other builds with the same relative role, like Mesmer or Thief, respectively. Mesmer isn't the top of the food chain anymore if looked in comparison to what it was a year ago, compared to what Paradoxoglanis seemed inclined to say. It will shut you down if you misplay but it will do near no damage on you if you don't allow it to make its plays. It's... niche right now. Very much so. Coming from a Ranger/Mesmer main. Oh and Ranger's broken. It is normal if you get annoyed at how strong it is, as it is absurdly strong right now.

mAT castings should let you see if the playstyle is what you're looking for. Jawgeous and Sindrener on YouTube send some really good coverage of these in the EU community, while streamers in NA cast them too (Vallun sometimes, namely) (and I'm a NA person, whilst not knowing much people casting them XD).

• Khalisto.5780Khalisto.5780 Member ✭✭✭

@dtox.8397 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

maybe to play, not to watch. They have a list of reasons why they drop the game, being boring to watch was one of them, that was during the meta bunker and made things even worse. I wasnt a very active player by them time, if you search on internet you can find more accurate info about it.

• dtox.8397dtox.8397 Member ✭✭

@Khalisto.5780 said:
    maybe to play, not to watch. They have a list of reasons why they drop the game, being boring to watch was one of them, that was during the meta bunker and made things even worse. I wasnt a very active player by them time, if you search on internet you can find more accurate info about it.

@DigiQWill.6378 said:

Back then, it was simply a matter of who gets ownership first, since you wouldn't die from anything if played minimally well and things like "X skill makes you lose node" didn't exist. IE, chronobunker used to be able to capture node while in Continuum Split or Distorted, while it isn't the case anymore.

Yeah, thats right, i remember bunker meta. It was pretty boring. I got legendary badge with that tho lol

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭

@dtox.8397 said:

@Khalisto.5780 said:

@Vancho.8750 said:

Its boring and fruatrating for me. Boring because its the same 5v5 conquest since day one. Gw1 had a slew of different pvp modes that all required different tatics and builds to accomplish a goal that only team coordination can accomplish.
    Fruatrating because in this 5v5 conquest game mode for 7 years has no real team support like 5 man competitive ranked que, no team mics to work as a coordinated unit and have i mentioned the same game mode since day one almoat 7 years ago?

• Marxx.5021Marxx.5021 Member ✭✭✭

I guess ANet has lost interest in PvP about 3 years ago. The little they do to keep it alive is coming from the PvE team. That's a real shame.

Thank you all for very informative answers - will not install the game after reading it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.