A feature to not load people on their skyscale while waiting for event.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@casualkenny.9817 said:I was checking a dictionary

entitled/ɪnˈtʌɪt(ə)ld/adjectivebelieving oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

selfish adjectiveself·​ish | \ ˈsel-fish \Definition of selfish1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

P. S. I too am requesting for the option to turn off the flapping of other skyscales on my screen.

So you are self-identifying as entitled and selfish? Not sure if that was the point you were trying to make, but that is what has happened.....

Lol well its all about perspective. I think it is clear.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Friday.7864 said:Completely agree, wanted to open a thread myself.Skyscale afking above other players while waiting for events is getting obnoxious by now.The constant wing flapping across the entire width of my screen is an eyesore, extremely distracting, annoying and often covers my entire field of view.

Limiting the airborne time to a minute would be nice. If they want to safely afk then let them perma-latch onto a wall or something.Or just let me hide anyone on a skyscale. Being able to hide other visual clutter like skill effects would also be amazing.

Generally speaking, I haven't found the skyscales any more visually cluttering than the massive crowd of teal character names and general swarm of activity during actively fighting.

@The Angle of Deth.2985 said:I've seen it here and in map chats...the people who haven't yet acquired the Skyscale are called names that are derogatory. I even saw one person who was calling for separate instances for those who have and do not have the mount. Joking? Probably...but it goes to an elitist mentality that doesn't mesh with GW's community and the standards that we should be helpful to one another.

That same mentality is being shown by afk'ing at events and leeching.

Frankly, you're always going to get people like that, and the fact of the matter is that it's been going both ways, not just one. People who have gotten the skyscale are just as targeted, being called annoyances, being told they wasted their time, and generally being treated like there is no good reason to like the mount outside of having a deluded sense of ego.

Neither side is really 'right' in this, because both sides are pointing the finger and being unwilling to just live and let live. As a result, I just kind of ignore arguments from either side and do my thing. The other reasonable people out there do the same, and we get along just fine regardless of whether we have the skyscale or not. The people who make comments that are derogatory either for having the mount, or not having it, are just plain unreasonable, or trying to bait you.

@Lilyanna.9361 said:

Have a whole slew of insults ready for the other. Like, for example, tell me why you wanna call people ground-dwellers, but your mount looks like it punched twice in the face? Tell me why your shimmerwing skin looks like a knock off magic card, that is sold in the back of a dollar store? Tell me why your Skyscale look like a whole beta model to a ps2/Xbox game.

See? Now you're sitting there laughing to yourself and feeling better, while the other person gets to sit there grumpy, ignore you, or shuts up because they're awful at combacks. Also, you can be glad because they had to take almost four weeks to get a skyscale+gold being mad in their shorts the entire time, while you get to sit there happy as a clam. :^]

Case in point :)

@Gop.8713 said:You can't afk on a wall tho . . .

With all the verticality that was made possible before the skyscale was on our radar even, 9/10 times (or even 10/10 I'd say) using a springer and/or griff, I've been able to climb the nearest wall and afk on visually non-existent ledges.

That being said, if you need a skyscale to safely AFK, you're doing it wrong .

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Lilyanna.9361 said:See? Now you're sitting there laughing to yourself and feeling better, while the other person gets to sit there grumpy, ignore you, or shuts up because they're awful at combacks. Also, you can be glad because they had to take almost four weeks to get a skyscale+gold being mad in their shorts the entire time, while you get to sit there happy as a clam. :^]

Or.....we could try....maturity? Because when has toxic behaviour been the solution to quell toxic behaviour? I mean, you all have
phones
Twitter, right?

I mean it's up to you if you see it as toxic. I see it as funny. Because in that situation I'd just move on after the banter. Call what you want. Me and my friends do it all the time. And I did it to them with their skyscales and they have done it to me.

It's not called maturity, it's called humor and shtposting. You should try it.

With all of the efforts ANET has made to de-clutter the audio & visuals in this game (reducing visual effects, such as Ele's fireball, and adding the option the mute annoying sounds such as the Dreamer), the way the Sky-Scale has been designed to block the screen of other players seem to be 10 steps backward.

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:Frankly, you're always going to get people like that, and the fact of the matter is that it's been going both ways, not just one. People who have gotten the skyscale are just as targeted, being called annoyances, being told they wasted their time, and generally being treated like there is no good reason to like the mount outside of having a deluded sense of ego.

Neither side is really 'right' in this, because both sides are pointing the finger and being unwilling to just live and let live. As a result, I just kind of ignore arguments from either side and do my thing. The other reasonable people out there do the same, and we get along just fine regardless of whether we have the skyscale or not. The people who make comments that are derogatory either for having the mount, or not having it, are just plain unreasonable, or trying to bait you.

You fail to see the point. It's not that people have or haven't got the Skyscale, it's about filling other people's screens with the flapping for no reason other than to be annoying. I have the Skyscale, but I don't fill other people's screens with it.

@darksome.1697 said:

@Starfall Leyline.2481 said:Frankly, you're always going to get people like that, and the fact of the matter is that it's been going both ways, not just one. People who have gotten the skyscale are just as targeted, being called annoyances, being told they wasted their time, and generally being treated like there is no good reason to like the mount outside of having a deluded sense of ego.

You fail to see the point. It's not that people have or haven't got the Skyscale, it's about filling other people's screens with the flapping for no reason other than to be annoying. I have the Skyscale, but I don't fill other people's screens with it.

This...I noticed last night that some of the Skyscale owners where hovering higher. It was really nice to see that. Thank you Darksome and others who are being considerate. ^ ^

@casualkenny.9817 said:

entitled/ɪnˈtʌɪt(ə)ld/adjectivebelieving oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

selfish adjectiveself·​ish | \ ˈsel-fish \Definition of selfish1 : concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others2 : arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others

P. S. I too am requesting for the option to turn off the flapping of other skyscales on my screen.

So you are self-identifying as entitled and selfish? Not sure if that was the point you were trying to make, but that is what has happened.....

It is all about perspective, but in this case people who are utilizing content provided by arenanet exactly as its intended ie "riding their mounts" aren't telling you what you can and can't do. However, in the reverse case, people are attempting to tell others what they can and can't do with the mounts provided to them by Arenanet due to some small inconvenience on their end. If Anet purposely put mounts in the game then why do you feel justified dictating to others when and where they can use their mounts?

@sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

It is all about perspective, but in this case people who are utilizing content provided by arenanet exactly as its intended ie "riding their mounts" aren't telling you what you can and can't do. However, in the reverse case, people are attempting to tell others what they can and can't do with the mounts provided to them by Arenanet due to some small inconvenience on their end. If Anet purposely put mounts in the game then why do you feel justified dictating to others when and where they can use their mounts?

In the preceding post, I wrote this:"P. S. I too am requesting for the option to turn off the flapping of other skyscales on my screen."

To which your response is this:"why do you feel justified dictating to others when and where they can use their mounts?"

With regards to your previous and current posts, are you claiming that Anet intended for ppl to low-hover and disrupt the gaming experience of others?

More imptly, the request that I am supporting:That player A, who is bothered by the flapping wings of player B++ who has parked himself in the midst of a bunch of other players, get an option to hide the flapping and dust animations of player B++. Player B can continue to do whatever he wants with his mount

So you want Arenanet to divert time and resources in ways that could involve massive changes to game code to accommodate your minor inconvenience? What about the next persons minor inconvenience? What about my minor inconveniences? Do you not see the problem with every single player demanding Arenanet do this or that for every minor inconvenience they have in the game? The argument is literally "I'm being forced to see things on my screen I don't want to see and I'm slightly upset about it, something needs to change" and you don't see how that makes this argument the entitled and selfish one as pointed out by yourself with the dictionary definitions?

First, I would like to say: I don't think that the issue of OP should be linked to having - or not - a skyscale. I have one. I do love it. I especially enjoy to stay safe on it at mid air. However, like OP, I'm annoyed by the flapping giant wings. Because of that, I now take care to wait away from people, or to dismount, when I wait for an event.

I believe that it's not because we find something annoying in certain conditions, that we don't like it. Another example: I find beautiful the fire gathering sickle (the one with the giant flame twister), however, I find it a bother because the visual effect is blinding and last for quite a while. If there are more than one player using that tool on same spot, I back up and wait that they are gone.

Now, I don't think that there is any easy solution. There are many different things causing visual disturbances and the point is that they are not the same for each players, because it depends on players's sensitivity. To come back to previous example of the fire sickle: I am annoyed by that visual effect, whereas many of my friends are not. On the other hand, they are annoyed by the visual "rain" effect of my cosmic mining tool, whereas I am not. And like seen in this thread, some are annoyed by the giant wings flapping, some others are not. This is the same for many other visual effects: Some are disturbed, some not. From there, how to select what ones need to be fixed? And also, how to define the degree of annoyance upon which a fix is needed? I believe it is by far too much subjective. That's why I think we will not see any change soon.

@"sevenDEADLY.5281" said:So you want Arenanet to divert time and resources in ways that could involve massive changes to game code to accommodate your minor inconvenience? What about the next persons minor inconvenience? What about my minor inconveniences? Do you not see the problem with every single player demanding Arenanet do this or that for every minor inconvenience they have in the game? The argument is literally "I'm being forced to see things on my screen I don't want to see and I'm slightly upset about it, something needs to change" and you don't see how that makes this argument the entitled and selfish one as pointed out by yourself with the dictionary definitions?

Your argument, couched as such, sounds reasonable, but it hinges on your subjective assumption that this is a minor inconvenience. For a group of players, it is not. Unlike the hummingbird (which gave some players motion sickness or something like that), the skyscale has a much larger wingspan, and the only way to avoid it is to go out of its visual reach. This becomes increasingly difficult and inconvenient the more such low-hovers there are, in wb and meta areas.

The skyscale is a nice mount, mechanically. A lot of work and passion went into it. But skyscale+humanity= an unintended dizzying and visually disruptive experience for some Anet customers. This thread (and its 2 sister threads) are feedback cum requests to Anet to bypass this issue without affecting other players directly. As a business, it is Anet's role to take into consideration player feedback and requests, and weigh their validities, and decide and assess their response and priority. And a fluid customer base will likewise respond accordingly.

These feedbacks also provide potential references for future game development directions.

Btw. A critical component of selfishness is the conscious disregard for other people. Within the first few posts of this thread, I believe things are quite clear.

Anyway, as you like. My priority is to add my support to others who have the same opinion, for Anet's consideration or shelving. I'm not interested in convincing you.

Oh, now I know what to do to even more show off my earned prestige stuff to intimidate people and show that I'm the greatest. Just shove everything in their face at once to +200% by hovering with my unique skyscale above them. :wink: :tongue:/sToo bad that I have anxiety and paranoia so that I always tend to stay away at almost the other end of the map while waiting for events because having to wait at a spot with amassing people for too long will cause to give me horrible panic attacks :/

Well, there's something that I noticed last night/this morning during world bosses. (Claw of jJormag especially) 75% of the people were hovering in safe distance with their Skyscale and only touched the ground while you could damage the Claw and then went back into the air while the other players weren't enough and kept dying most of the time. Irony was that they were all people who should know better [Judging by their "godlike" titles (God Amongst Mere Mortals, The Eternal, Everlasting Ally of Quadim, Ultimate Dominator, Merciless Legend etc.)] and should have put their "elitism" to use instead of telling people to "git gud" or not helping but instead leeching on the event. If you're such a godlike player then you should actually put it to use or stick in your raids, PvP etc. THAT is the only obnoxious part of the Skyscale I could experience. God, what has the community become to? I remember that it used to be different back then... (And yes, I know about the early dungeon elitism, shut up! It wasn't actually that worse than how things tend to be today after being spoiled with two expansions)

@casualkenny.9817 said:

Your argument, couched as such, sounds reasonable, but it hinges on your subjective assumption that this is a minor inconvenience.

Right, and as the poster above you (Dreamy Lu) pointed out, everything is subjective. Literally every visual thing in this game is subjectively pleasing or displeasing to whoever is viewing it. Something you find displeasing, others don't. Something I find displeasing, brings great joy to others. The difference is I don't immediately request changes be made to the game because of the things I find visually displeasing because I understand that its completely subjective and others find these things likable. It's impossible for Arenanet to satisfy everyone's subjective likes and dislikes, so if they introduce something to the game such as the skyscale, then the intended consequence is that its going to be used. The same can be said of the various legendary skins or infusions. The selfish and entitled thing for me to do would be to demand changes be made to the game to suit my own personal preferences and tastes despite if others enjoy it or not, but I'm not the one doing that.

@kurfu.5623 said:This sort of thing has been done before (the Dreamer noise for example) - I don't understand why this is bringing out such toxicity in a certain portion of players.

Trying to understand other ppl is always tricky but just from reading the thread it seems like that certain portion of players have become toxic bc the new mount has annoyed them to the point that they have come to the erroneous conclusion that ppl are using the mount specifically and intentionally to annoy them . . .