Minionmancer: Why do you?

LetoII.3782

• They are new to WvW and don't know that PvE open world builds are not good for WvW.
  • They are just there trying to do dailies and don't actually care to switch builds and rough it on what they are use to
  • They just prefer that build because players are encourage to play whatever they find fun.

What does it matter if what build they are running if they are running solo?

@LetoII.3782 said:So you're saying this build is good in PvE?I'm curious because I constantly see them and they never seem to do anything but die O.o

Yeah, it's easy mode for open world PvE in particular. Minion necromancer I kind of thing as a 'comfort' build because you don't have to worry about much. People you see in WvW with that build are probably just new/don't play WvW much.

@acdspydar.8920 said:The scout reports are brilliant for them tho. There's always that new guy who yells out 10+ guild group in the camp!!! You run in with the boys and it's a MM dying to the veteran supervisor. Good times

Someone on my server called it a small zerg once. I use that term every time I see a MM necro now.

A well optimized minion mancer can be a very good duelist/bunker, i used to run it with healing power and it stood toe to toe with roaming specs, but yeah most poeple just use their open world PvE build.

The amount of flat damage reduction and heals you can get is insane.

@LetoII.3782 said:OK, now there's definitely more people who say minionmancer is good than there is good minionmancers in this thread.I might've believed one or two in the game had something special going....

I didn't say it was good, I said there were some people who really know how to use it well, and they can be a pain to fight as a roamer. They still can't stand up against multiple opponents well.

@"LetoII.3782" said:OK, now there's definitely more people who say minionmancer is good than there is good minionmancers in this thread.I might've believed one or two in the game had something special going....

It can do a surprising amount of damage if all the Minions explode in your face consecutively. Think of it like a hybrid Mesmer that can only shatter all it's clones once every 30 seconds - 1 minute. If you get caught in the "shatter" it's definitely going to hurt, but it's probably easier to avoid it than it is to hit someone with it.

I disagree that it has any viability in WvW roaming/small scale however. Literally anything with good cleave and moderate durability ( basically meaning minimum of 2.4k armor and 18k health ) should be able to dispatch the Minion horde with minimal consequence. Assuming the Necro isn't a complete potato though, the player themselves can still be dangerous with all their Minions gone. So it's more about the player relying on their Minions to do everything for them than about Minions being useless.

Honestly I'd say regardless of skill, a Minionmancer is basically a free kill. The only exception is if you're glassy and allow all the Minions to pop in your face.