A Beginner's Guide to Finding The Most OP Class in PVP

Cardolan.9123

This guide helps you identify the most OP class in PVP, it features excluding player skill to improve the conclusion.

1. Get the best build of your current class from Metabattle.
  2. Get good with it as much as you can.
  3. Play many rated games, ideally ranked games, and record the classes played by the other 9 people. Just do the records, DON'T pay attention to what class(es) killed you.
  4. Summarize the data collected and identify the most played class, which should either be or be close to the most OP class. The more data you collect the more accurate your result is; the more obvious the conclusion of the data is the more precise your result is.
  5. Now that you have identified a class as your preliminary result, you need to try and figure out the optimal build(s) of it. The build(s) is not likely on metabattle, at least not exactly the same, so it takes quite a bit of theorycrafting skill to figure it out.
  6. Now to further refine your result, repeat step 2~4 with your identified class and build(s), as there's a possibility of you ranking up if you play ranked.
  7. Identify whether your new result is consistent with your preliminary result, and if not, repeat step 2~4 again with your new result according to step 6.
  8. Conclusion. You should get the most OP class by now, and if not, that means the game balance is at a decent state.(nb. If you think your conclusion is incorrect correct but weird and unconvincing, make sure you check whether you make the best effort in the getting good and/or the theorycrafting part during the procedures, before...you know...criticizing this guide ;) )

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:Rev is currently the strongest class. There, I saved you a week.

rev players seem to have a different opinion than you. For those who can't decide which to believe, this guide offers them a way to believe neither and find it themselves (surely at a cost of a week or longer).

@Cardolan.9123 said:

@"AngelLovesFredrik.6741" said:Rev is currently the strongest class. There, I saved you a week.

rev players seem to have a different opinion than you. For those who can't decide which to believe, this guide offers them a way to believe neither and find it themselves (surely at a cost of a week or longer).

It's Rev, closely followed by Holo, for queues. There's no debate.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:It's most certainly Herald, not only when talking raw statistical damage output, but also ease in application. It's too easy to land the damage that it has, which is mostly due to it's completely over-tuned chase potential.

Have you ever played revenant? It's not easy to land the damage at all lmaoAlso most damage output goes to sic em ranger

Nothing in your post is true p0g

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:It's most certainly Herald, not only when talking raw statistical damage output, but also ease in application. It's too easy to land the damage that it has, which is mostly due to it's completely over-tuned chase potential.

Have you ever played revenant? It's not easy to land the damage at all lmaoAlso most damage output goes to sic em ranger

1. Herald is the easiest melee class to land damage with for several reasons.
  2. Although the Sic Em & Marksmanship Soulbeasts have high short burst potential, the Soulbeast doesn't even begin to rival the damage per second that Herald has, which is why Herald has a much stronger performance at higher tiers, where players spend more time engaged and less time randoming around while they wait for CDs to reset.
  3. When you are discussing "Damage Output" in competitive modes, you need to consider the difference between burst potential and actual DPS. How often does the burst occur vs. a different build with more steady DPS output? How practical is it to land the damage on both given classes? IE: A Ranger's Longbow can be entirely negated through the use of LOS techniques, and the very large majority of its melee damage is within only 2 skills, Maul & WI. If those 2 skills are dodged by veteran players who read the tells easily enough, the Ranger hasn't any other means of consistent damage output to brawl with something like a Herald. This is the other reason why Soulbeast DPS doesn't perform so well in higher tiers. Where the Ranger's kill potential can be entirely avoided, it is impossible to avoid heavy damage when brawling with a Herald because literally "everything it does" deals heavy damage.

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Dw, he is nothing but a bad rev.In fact all meta/successful builds dont rely on long cooldowns, have high sustained paired with high burst damage and packed with good sustain.Like guardian is heavily reliant on his cooldowns, sic em slb can be super dangerous for 10s every 28s? Power mesmer can try to "oneshot" something once per 30s and if he fail he is dead instant. I bet we would see more weavers but they cant compete with spamgods as holo/spb/rev/scourge

@praqtos.9035 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Dw, he is nothing but a bad rev.In fact all meta/successful builds dont rely on long cooldowns, have high sustained paired with high burst damage and packed with good sustain.Like guardian is heavily reliant on his cooldowns, sic em slb can be super dangerous for 10s every 28s? Power mesmer can try to "oneshot" something once per 30s and if he fail he is dead instant. I bet we would see more weavers but they cant compete with spamgods as holo/spb/rev/scourge

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:It's most certainly Herald, not only when talking raw statistical damage output, but also ease in application. It's too easy to land the damage that it has, which is mostly due to it's completely over-tuned chase potential.

2. Although the Sic Em & Marksmanship Soulbeasts have high short burst potential, the Soulbeast doesn't even begin to rival the damage per second that Herald has, which is why Herald has a much stronger performance at higher tiers, where players spend more time engaged and less time randoming around while they wait for CDs to reset.
  3. When you are discussing "Damage Output" in competitive modes, you need to consider the difference between burst potential and actual DPS. How often does the burst occur vs. a different build with more steady DPS output? How practical is it to land the damage on both given classes? IE: A Ranger's Longbow can be entirely negated through the use of LOS techniques, and the very large majority of its melee damage is within only 2 skills, Maul & WI. If those 2 skills are dodged by veteran players who read the tells easily enough, the Ranger hasn't any other means of consistent damage output to brawl with something like a Herald. This is the other reason why Soulbeast DPS doesn't perform so well in higher tiers. Where the Ranger's kill potential can be entirely avoided, it is impossible to avoid heavy damage when brawling with a Herald because literally "everything it does" deals heavy damage.

If it's so easy then why are all revs that aren't at the top getting farmed so easily omegalul atleast they're not mirages that can just spam their abilities and stay alive for 10 min

Then again if any of you actually tried to play Revenant anywhere else but unranked you'd know what I was talking about, but since you guys haven't why are you even argueing?

@praqtos.9035 said:

@"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:Dw, he is nothing but a bad rev.In fact all meta/successful builds dont rely on long cooldowns, have high sustained paired with high burst damage and packed with good sustain.Like guardian is heavily reliant on his cooldowns, sic em slb can be super dangerous for 10s every 28s? Power mesmer can try to "oneshot" something once per 30s and if he fail he is dead instant. I bet we would see more weavers but they cant compete with spamgods as holo/spb/rev/scourge

You know what, the more I think about it, I think this discussion reveals THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between mid range tiers and top tiers. In mid range tiers, people spend a great deal more time disengaged due to slow or bad rotations and people not chasing to secure kills. This makes burst builds like a DPS Soulbeast feel OP because it is being given much leniency to run & recover and allow its burst to refresh. In higher tiers however, players stay engaged constantly. The rotations are much faster and players always attempt to chase & secure kills. In other words, there is much less time in higher tiered games for a player to dope around and let his long CDs come back. And in that case, classes/builds with shorter CDs that pump out consistent practicality rather than a longer CD gimmick, are the way to go.

^ That's it right there. That's exactly what makes or breaks the performance of a build wen it comes to mid tier vs. high tier.

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

You know what, the more I think about it, I think this discussion reveals THE BIGGEST DIFFERENCE between mid range tiers and top tiers. In mid range tiers, people spend a great deal more time disengaged due to slow or bad rotations and people not chasing to secure kills. This makes burst builds like a DPS Soulbeast feel OP because it is being given much leniency to run & recover and allow its burst to refresh. In higher tiers however, players stay engaged constantly. The rotations are much faster and players always attempt to chase & secure kills. In other words, there is much less time in higher tiered games for a player to dope around and let his long CDs come back. And in that case, classes/builds with shorter CDs that pump out consistent practicality rather than a longer CD gimmick, are the way to go.

Agreed. Nobody plat 1+ that I've talked to - or seen talking on the forums - ever seems to have much of a problem dealing with Sic Em soulbeasts, while herald is always a nasty sight on the battlefield.

Mid-tier players also seem easily deceived by the top stats screen at the end of the match. There have been times where I notched top damage, but largely because I was stubborn/ineffective and unloaded into a player that could handle my bursts repeatedly while I tried in vain to fight for a node. On the other hand, highly effective roamers that burst enemies so well that the enemy can't even recover/reset just don't have as much opportunity to pad the damage number. Some of the hardest-hitting players I've ever seen can get outdamaged by less effective performers like me who don't know when to call it quits and rotate safely out.

@Snellibee.2761 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Dw, he is nothing but a bad rev.In fact all meta/successful builds dont rely on long cooldowns, have high sustained paired with high burst damage and packed with good sustain.Like guardian is heavily reliant on his cooldowns, sic em slb can be super dangerous for 10s every 28s? Power mesmer can try to "oneshot" something once per 30s and if he fail he is dead instant. I bet we would see more weavers but they cant compete with spamgods as holo/spb/rev/scourge

If it's so easy then why are all revs that aren't at the top getting farmed so easily omegalul atleast they're not mirages that can just spam their abilities and stay alive for 10 min

Then again if any of you actually tried to play Revenant anywhere else but unranked you'd know what I was talking about, but since you guys haven't why are you even argueing?

Your answer is in the previous post I just made. Mid to low tiered Heralds aren't performing their job role to its maximum potential, and they are getting farmed by gimmick builds that are easier to play in those tiers due to it.

In a way you're right, Herald skill entry level isn't as easy as some other builds, and a lot of that is because for a Herald to be played properly, it needs team members around it that know the Herald's purpose, who synergize correctly with it. In mid to low tiers, most people just don't understand job roles in general, or rotations, or the idea of +ing the right targets at the right time. But when they do, Herald is seriously ridiculously overpowered right now. IE: A good Plat 2+ AT team, Heralds are abusively powerful right now. You may want to continue arguing with me, but before you do, you should ask yourself: "Do I play at 1650+ levels? Do I often make it to the final rounds of ATs? Have I ever seen experienced what he is discussing right now? Have ever even experienced proper Herald play before?"

However, Herald isn't ultra difficult to learn either. It's just that some builds are ridiculously easy to play at mid to low tiers. Probably the best example that ever existed in any meta, was the old dodge rolling condi Thief. It performed terribly at high tiers when pressure was much greater, but at mid to low tiers when pressure was light, it was easy to preserve dodge rolling, so it gave the illusion that the build had some kind of ability to permanently evade everything, which simply was not true. It's just that the people in those tiers weren't laying down enough pressure to bait the dodge rolls quickly enough and didn't know how to time their CCs to catch the Thief. The disgusting thing is that it required 0 skill factor to pick up and begin play beyond knowing how to dodge roll. That build could carry entry level players with 0 games played into like Gold 3 status during their first 4 hours of game play. That build goes into the toxic hall of fame for being the easiest build to play, ever.