I like how awful this class is every time I tried to come back to it

LazySummer.2568

@Shiyo.3578 said:Let me start off by saying that Ele was my main since vanilla 1.0, and is still one of my most played classes that I absolutely love and wish it was better designed and more effective at things not weaver sword(Scepter tempest power is pretty underrated and very good + fun!)

However, Ele is the only class I find unfun to fight in PvP, not because it's strong, just because nothing it does has actual tells.

It'd be nice if they buffed ele, while also giving all it's stuff actual tells. It needs to remain okish until it's not boring as hell to fight.

I'm not saying that ele is overpowered or anything, it's just straight up unfun to fight(and play in it's current awful designed state) imo.

But ele has the longest animation times in the game and no quickness. How can you not tell what's going on? I'm half jesting btw. Most eles run sword and even though it still has higher cast times than average, it feels like waving around a toothpick. I can imagine that your opponents have a hard time telling what's going on as a result. Also, none of the skills feel impactful, so nobody even tries to learn what to avoid. It barely matters anyway. Then there are also the instant proc damage traits and the arcane skills. Scepter burst builds that utilize those can dish out untelegraphed damage really quickly, but this is the only way to play burst because the weapon skills tend to be plain trash that takes too long to land.

They need to take a good look at all ele weapon skills and bring them on par with the modern standard. The instant damage gimmicks should just go away. Not only from ele though. All professions with such skills need them reworked. Scourges should not be able to instant cast shades for example, even though there is a .5 sec delay.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its true, maybe we are off-meta, but! We're beautiful inside, dont you EVER forget that!We all know that every holo, scrapper or spellbroken will do our work better, we know that ANet doesnt know how to balance us and every buff attempt ends nerfing us once again.We know that, but dont forget that this class is for connoisseurs, connoisseurs of true and fancy style, dont forget that, wear your blindfold and keep pushing forward.Peace!

• 2 weeks later...

In all honesty, just delete the class itself since anet really doesn't care for it or at least tries to care but absolutely fails at balancing the class itself to have other options instead of one specific build that doesn't really cover all game modes :/. like tempest heal is all we got in wvw (along with dps weaver in wvw but even then this stuff isn't remotely being used in organized anymore), I mean scrapper heal does better than us by a Long shot.

More boon spams with retals, cc bars, and being forced to spread out while random ambient damage nukes you in the new raid wing, which makes ele suboptimal since it can be easily downed, offers no useful utilities such as boon removal, stab, and good cc, and doesn't even do the highest dps YET there are still people out there trying to justify that this class is anything but garbage when it gets outclassed by everyone else in every single game mode and is difficult to play for no good reason.

@"LazySummer.2568" said:More boon spams with retals, cc bars, and being forced to spread out while random ambient damage nukes you in the new raid wing, which makes ele suboptimal since it can be easily downed, offers no useful utilities such as boon removal, stab, and good cc, and doesn't even do the highest dps YET there are still people out there trying to justify that this class is anything but garbage when it gets outclassed by everyone else in every single game mode and is difficult to play for no good reason.

"But ele is balanced with clear trade offs! Anet should balance all 8 other classes instead."

Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen

@Stallic.2397 said:

@"LazySummer.2568" said:More boon spams with retals, cc bars, and being forced to spread out while random ambient damage nukes you in the new raid wing, which makes ele suboptimal since it can be easily downed, offers no useful utilities such as boon removal, stab, and good cc, and doesn't even do the highest dps YET there are still people out there trying to justify that this class is anything but garbage when it gets outclassed by everyone else in every single game mode and is difficult to play for no good reason.

"But ele is balanced with clear trade offs! Anet should balance all 8 other classes instead."

Yeah, like that's ever gonna happen

Your right that is never going to realty happen and over all its a bad mind set for balancing. Far better to ask for buffs for the class forms that your on then nerfs for other classes on a non class forms.

Only anet could develop a class with so much variety and awesome visuals throughout its skills only to nerf it to be bottom of the barrel. When I first started this game threads all touted ele's as kings of dps. Given the complexity and glassyness of the class why'd that change?

Least ele players have a class to use in pve that has enough skill variety and cool visuals to not get mind numbingly boring a month after reaching max level, so atleast there's that lol

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Only anet could develop a class with so much variety and awesome visuals throughout its skills only to nerf it to be bottom of the barrel. When I first started this game threads all touted ele's as kings of dps. Given the complexity and glassyness of the class why'd that change?

Least ele players have a class to use in pve that has enough skill variety and cool visuals to not get mind numbingly boring a month after reaching max level, so atleast there's that lol

That the thing ele never had that much more visuals then other classes in gw2 as they all had means of support dmg and tankly that was the ideal of gw2 every class would not fill a hard 3 class type roll so every class was able to fill all rolls at all times. If any thing ele was far less visuals due to its wepon lock but i guess in anet mind conja weapons some how fixed this all though they where nothing and are still nothing compared to eng kits.

This was all an old ideal of class in gw2 now we DO have a 3 class type system yet all of the other classes got more effect to fill these rolls but ele skill and effects are STILL 25% as useful as other classes. Best example is Merciful Intervention vs Signet of Water rez effect (yes signet of water has an rez effect on it but every one forgets because its just that bad) where MI rez for 20% base and SoW rez for 5%. SoW should rez for at least 10% for its cd but for what ever reason (anet dose not like to give power to ele class i am guessing) its only 5% on-top of it having a kind of long cast time and a weaker healing effect over all.

Nearly every skill ele has is like this just a weak version of other classes with a "magic" animations.

@Jski.6180 said:

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Only anet could develop a class with so much variety and awesome visuals throughout its skills only to nerf it to be bottom of the barrel. When I first started this game threads all touted ele's as kings of dps. Given the complexity and glassyness of the class why'd that change?

That the thing ele never had that much more visuals then other classes in gw2 as they all had means of support dmg and tankly that was the ideal of gw2 every class would not fill a hard 3 class type roll so every class was able to fill all rolls at all times. If any thing ele was far less visuals due to its wepon lock but i guess in anet mind conja weapons some how fixed this all though they where nothing and are still nothing compared to eng kits.

This was all an old ideal of class in gw2 now we DO have a 3 class type system yet all of the other classes got more effect to fill these rolls but ele skill and effects are STILL 25% as useful as other classes. Best example is Merciful Intervention vs Signet of Water rez effect (yes signet of water has an rez effect on it but every one forgets because its just that bad) where MI rez for 20% base and SoW rez for 5%. SoW should rez for at least 10% for its cd but for what ever reason (anet dose not like to give power to ele class i am guessing) its only 5% on-top of it having a kind of long cast time and a weaker healing effect over all.

Nearly every skill ele has is like this just a weak version of other classes with a "magic" animations.

I think ur confusing skill effectiveness with visuals. Ele has the most skills in game next to engi no? Also I guess visuals are subjective but there arnt any classes that I can think of that compare to the skills visuals of eli except for maybe rev or holo,but again 5hats just my opinion. But that's my point only arent could spend so much time and effort developing all eli''s skills and visuals only to make half of them perform underwhelmingly. Gw2 is THEE mmo where low hp/low sustain classes continually get their dps and sustain further nerfed over time while high hp/sustain classes continually get their dps bursts buffed and are given more ways to sustain themselves lmao. The balance in this game is one heck of a joke.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Only anet could develop a class with so much variety and awesome visuals throughout its skills only to nerf it to be bottom of the barrel. When I first started this game threads all touted ele's as kings of dps. Given the complexity and glassyness of the class why'd that change?

I think ur confusing skill effectiveness with visuals. Ele has the most skills in game next to engi no? Also I guess visuals are subjective but there arnt any classes that I can think of that compare to the skills visuals of eli except for maybe rev or holo,but again 5hats just my opinion. But that's my point only arent could spend so much time and effort developing all eli''s skills and visuals only to make half of them perform underwhelmingly. Gw2 is THEE mmo where low hp/low sustain classes continually get their dps and sustain further nerfed over time while high hp/sustain classes continually get their dps bursts buffed and are given more ways to sustain themselves lmao. The balance in this game is one heck of a joke.

Out side of weaver i think FB has more skills then core / tempest ele. Eng can have more skills but at the cost of runing nothing but kits.

The thing is ele skills are nearly carbon copy of each other with some added effects. They are not realty different skills. Viably is any thing that has hp and can do dmg at any level lol. Nothing subjective about it. Every thing has an use its just ele skills are less effective then every other class in the game that holds the same effect.

@Jski.6180 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Only anet could develop a class with so much variety and awesome visuals throughout its skills only to nerf it to be bottom of the barrel. When I first started this game threads all touted ele's as kings of dps. Given the complexity and glassyness of the class why'd that change?

Out side of weaver i think FB has more skills then core / tempest ele. Eng can have more skills but at the cost of runing nothing but kits.

The thing is ele skills are nearly carbon copy of each other with some added effects. They are not realty different skills. Viably is any thing that has hp and can do dmg at any level lol. Nothing subjective about it. Every thing has an use its just ele skills are less effective then every other class in the game that holds the same effect.

Lol I just meant ele's skills being the most visually appealing being subjective as it was just my opinion.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Lol I just meant ele's skills being the most visually appealing being subjective as it was just my opinion.

Looks are the only "magic" ele has these days. You could cut the effect off and make the attks look like arrows and you would not be able to tell if your a mage or just a very bad ranger.

@Jski.6180 said:

Looks are the only "magic" ele has these days. You could cut the effect off and make the attks look like arrows and you would not be able to tell if your a mage or just a very bad ranger.

I agree ele needs significant buffs,was just saying skills look cool. I said aside from visuals their skills are underwhelming.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I agree ele needs significant buffs,was just saying skills look cool. I said aside from visuals their skills are underwhelming.

Ele needs a massive rework its still an 2012 class where every thing else is more on the lines of 2015 to 2018. Ele is comply out dated. And i feel like we will never see devs on the ele forms.

Just seems like they had the dps yrs ago to compensate squishyness as all I read In forums was how ele was dps king and was always top of most fun class lists, this was years and yrs ago as I forget how many exactly. Now seems like after all the nerf cries and their inevitable nerfs following afterwards that throughout the yrs after most the classes got powercrept etc ele got left behind lol.

Elementalist is a superior class with mediocre (damage depending on weapon, support depending on build,survability in general).Balance team: How much you want Ele to be nerfed?Ele players: we are already nerfed af.Balance team:Release Patch NoteELEMENTALIST:NERF NERF NERF NERF

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Just seems like they had the dps yrs ago to compensate squishyness as all I read In forums was how ele was dps king and was always top of most fun class lists, this was years and yrs ago as I forget how many exactly. Now seems like after all the nerf cries and their inevitable nerfs following afterwards that throughout the yrs after most the classes got powercrept etc ele got left behind lol.

Well, dealing nearly 50% more damage than the next class was not balanced at all. Most of the nerfs to staff where will deserved.

The issue is much more complex than just that though. Weaver has solid damage in PvE, but no sustain and no utility. Tempest supposedly more support oriented. But has no reliable support builds. And damage wise, is not great.

The issues in PvP are even more complex. Low HP pool is a serious design flaw that severely handicaps ele. Most meta builds do not need to dance around for sustain the way ele does. Weaver plays as a lead effective SB for the most part.

@otto.5684 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Just seems like they had the dps yrs ago to compensate squishyness as all I read In forums was how ele was dps king and was always top of most fun class lists, this was years and yrs ago as I forget how many exactly. Now seems like after all the nerf cries and their inevitable nerfs following afterwards that throughout the yrs after most the classes got powercrept etc ele got left behind lol.

Well, dealing nearly 50% more damage than the next class was not balanced at all. Most of the nerfs to staff where will deserved.

The issue is much more complex than just that though. Weaver has solid damage in PvE, but no sustain and no utility. Tempest supposedly more support oriented. But has no reliable support builds. And damage wise, is not great.

The issues in PvP are even more complex. Low HP pool is a serious design flaw that severely handicaps ele. Most meta builds do not need to dance around for sustain the way ele does. Weaver plays as a lead effective SB for the most part.

That mind set dose not work so well when it comes to balancing this game. PvE is an incomplete game type as in there are effects that are comply meaningless in pve like boon control and unblockables that are such powerful effects in pvp / wvw that with out them your class is worthless most of the time with out another class doing it for you. Staff nerfs where comply undeserved and has pushed ele to not the best dps in both pve and pvp / wvw giving other classes that tital but maintaining there strong pvp / wvw effects.

If any thing that was needed nerfing was the weaver class dmg out put with the staff but anet chose to nerf to core classes staff effects hitting all 3 of ele (core tempest and weaver) something that is unforgivable of an balancing team to do. Not only that but instead of doing the right thing of balancing there raids arone the classes of gw2 you have the classes being forced to balancing arone raids the main reason for ALL nerf to the ele class from HoT and on.

In all game types ele is now a weak class it will never have the dmg to fill that nucking mages in pve (thf dose it better now sadly) and in pvp / wvw it never was that high dmg that could get though def skill cutting its dmg like that only made thing worst to the point of it being a truly non use class.

Anet has a LOT to answer for and yes ele is just an awful class with balancing chooses to make other classes way better then they should be. Nothing done to the ele class has been for the ele classes its all for raids working right or keeping anets pet classes the end all be all class chose.

@otto.5684 said:Well, dealing nearly 50% more damage than the next class was not balanced at all. Most of the nerfs to staff where will deserved.

Nerfing a weapon because its giant hitbox golem benchmark is too high is anything but well deserved. The well deserved nerf was the weaver traitline, specifically Elements of Rage if we're talking about dps being too high in PvE. The damage reduction per hit is the also one of the most unfair changes since it only singles out certain few ele skills instead of applying it to every single multi hit skills in the game and retal was left unchanged against these damage reduced skills.

And I'd argue it's just as unbalanced right now to allow a certain few classes to do a bunch of things in a single build (eg. shitting out almost every single boon + cc + heal or dps) as it was for ele's dps to be over the top compared to other dps classes

@otto.5684 said:@Jski.6180 and @"LazySummer.2568", if you guys just bothered to read the remainder of my post. To summarize, staff nerf is not the cause of ele issues and buffing it will not resolve said issues. There are far more important issues that need to be addressed.

It IS the cause of a big issue. Take a look at Lava Font, for example. This skill used to do on average 5K - 7K, but then it got nerfed by -40%. Why? We don't know. Nobody complained about it. It wasn't a big deal. Nobody ever said, "Oh, we should nerf Lava Font, because it hits too hard". It's not rocket science to move out of the field, and it's not so obscure that you can't see it. It was once our main source of damage, but after the childish nerfs, we are lucky to get about 2K-4K out of it.

@"Dahir.4158" said:

@otto.5684 said:@Jski.6180 and @"LazySummer.2568", if you guys just bothered to read the remainder of my post. To summarize, staff nerf is not the cause of ele issues and buffing it will not resolve said issues. There are far more important issues that need to be addressed.

It IS the cause of a big issue. Take a look at Lava Font, for example. This skill used to do on average 5K - 7K, but then it got nerfed by -40%. Why? We don't know. Nobody complained about it. It wasn't a big deal. Nobody ever said, "Oh, we should nerf Lava Font, because it hits too hard". It's not rocket science to move out of the field, and it's not so obscure that you can't see it. It was once our main source of damage, but after the childish nerfs, we are lucky to get about 2K-4K out of it.

Regardless of how OP ele dps was back then would it really be close to OP in today's version of the game? If they brought back ele's dps to what it was I'd still prob be out burst by some if the other classes that also have more hp and sustain lol.

I'm so very conflicted on this subject. On one hand, ele could use some quality of life fixes, some improvements here and there to make it seriously on-par with the other classes/builds out there - particularly in the defensive aspect in my opinion.

On the other hand, I must sound like a broken record when I re-affirm to people that I just cannot relate to the vast majority of these problems. I just don't have the same problems everyone seems to complain about. I find solutions and make viable builds because I've learned how to use them, when to use them, where to use them, I know other classes/builds well which allows me to counter them etc ... and I must sound like a very egotistical broken record, but I CAN'T relate. I don't think the problem is necessarily elementalist; to a very significant degree it's players who have not yet accepted that the class you picked is DIFFICULT. I sincerely want to detail my experiences as an ele in all 3 game modes, but I know for a fact that most people will interpret it as e-peen stroking. And look, I've heard all of the "I have so and so AP, raid clears, I'm such and such rank, I've been playing for x amount of years, and I still have trouble on ele" stuff and I don't understand how it isn't obvious to people that the issue isn't the game at that point.

And why would any reasonable person want to believe that it is just the game, and not themselves as players? If it's the game, then you're just screwed no matter what you do. But if it's you, then that's actually GREAT news, because that means you can at least change how you play - adapt and improve...

I will probably receive some smug comments by the more disagreeable personalities on this forum, or be outright flamed for saying this, but I don't think I will regret what I said. I said it politely, and for the sake of the class, not myself, and I genuinely believe it to be true. THAT BEING SAID, YES, ele needs a few improvements! If anet is reading this - I am not saying to leave it as it is! We could really use a few buffs to defensive capabilities ... but as players we must adjust regardless.

You adapt to the world, the world does not adapt to you.