Returning Player -- Help Please!

Hi all,

I am thinking about returning to GW2. I played during its initial release and stopped when fractals of the mist came out....I think that is what it is called...?
I thought GW2 was dying, but apparently, it seems to be very lively. My concern is that I have is that I get lonely from playing by myself. I think it would be best for me to start all over with a new character and work my way around the world and adapt to the changes. Would it be unlikely for me to find other players leveling up as I am? I am hoping that I will run into quite a fair amount of players as I level up to 80. However, I would assume that it'll be a lonely journey to 80 since GW2 has released two expansions, and most of the players are focusing on the end-game, at this point.Does the game truly begins once I reach level 80? What would I do once I reach level 80? Run dungeons? Any tips would be appreciated!

Thanks!

There are always people in lower-level maps and areas leveling characters. Some are new players, some are returning players, and some are long-time veterans leveling yet another alt. Events and dailies also drive traffic to various places, so there will usually be a time you can call out in map chat for help with something and actually get it, even if that might not be available every day.

Once you hit 80, you can run fractals, work on building a legendary weapon, pick up the xpacks and learn to glide or ride a mount and train up masteries that will let you do things in different ways and access different areas, buy the Living World seasons and open up a dozen new maps and their attendant story and events, take up raiding (requires at least one xpack), or set your own other goals according to your own interests. You can likely find a guild in the Looking for Guild section of the forums that likes to help people level and complete achievements, so you'll always have people to do things with and answer your questions. The game doesn't so much begin at L80 as it becomes wide open then. And yes, you can run dungeons, though you might have to look a bit more or start your own party in the LFG tool to find people to run those sometimes. They do pop up as dailies from time to time, though, and it's easy to find a group on those days.

I think your idea of starting a new character is a good one. Are you on EU or NA? if you're on NA, i'll run around with you and keep you company, i level alts a lot, and it's a nice break from the end game sometimes. Feel free to contact me in game, and you'll get used to it in time! Good luck and have fun!

I was there when all people did was queensdale level train. That was boring, and no one talked back then.Now, I see new players every time I make alts, and a lot of them are new and oblivious because I had to teach some of these people how to gw2.You definitely won't have problem finding new friends here. There are many things you can do when you are maxed leveled, but a lot of things like wvw, pvp, world completion, dungeons or story can be don't before maxed level. One thing I loved about current gw2 is people are kind and very helpful.If you ask something, bunch of people will try to answer your question.

However, in the end, just play for yourself because you are the only one who understands if gw2 is the MMO for you.

P.S. they made a lot of skill overhaul and nerfs and buffs over 7 years, there are 2 specialization for each class, so it is GOOD idea to start from beginning.

Do you want someone to play with? Or do you want someone to socialize with while playing?

Personally I would prefer to have someone to talk to and socialize with while playing. We can be on different maps, doing different things, but still talk about our day and game play.

You can join groups that barely talk to each other because they are "all business". It's not that they are unfriendly but they grouped up for a purpose and it's expected that any communication furthers that goal. In some ways you may as well be playing by yourself.

If you just want socializing that's a big advantage of joining a guild. Last week I spent an hour talking with a guildie on discord about furnaces, lawyers, and workmen's comp, while we were playing in completely different zones.

Guilds can include members from any server, so look for one where people are on at the same time as you, has events scheduled when you normally play, and you fit in with.

Good luck.

So you intend to also get the expansions or you think you want to stay in core only?I left GW2 when HoT came out and then start playing way after PoF was released, so catching up and getting everything done was more fun than I thought it would be.Also gave me a lot of things to do, and I cannot imagine just playing core now.

As mentioned above, there are always new players and also veteran players leveling up new alts. I think starting a new character (but don't delete your first one/old one, as you can get some sweet birthday gifts on your character's anniversary) is a good idea. I'd suggest joining a guild for noobs or use the Looking for Group tool and find some others leveling up like you are. Level 80 is fun but it isn't everything. Good luck!

@Taelac.7036 said:There are always people in lower-level maps and areas leveling characters. Some are new players, some are returning players, and some are long-time veterans leveling yet another alt. Events and dailies also drive traffic to various places, so there will usually be a time you can call out in map chat for help with something and actually get it, even if that might not be available every day.

This. I run a key farmer alt every week, usually starting in Queensdale . (That's leveling a new alt up through the level 10 personal story to get a free Black Lion Chest key.) Whenever I do there are always other players in the opening story with me. Some are veterans, obvious from their titles and shiny armor. Others seem to be new folks still trying to figure out the game mechanics. When I'm moving my alt around Queensdale, leveling them up, there are often mentors announcing in map chat that they are available to answer questions and give help as needed.

At the same time I'm working on my third map completion and as such, I'm moving through all the core Tyria maps. There's always other people on the maps. The numbers do thin out considerably after midnight but even the times I've played all night, I've seen other folks around at 3:00 am and 4:00 am. So no, you won't be playing on empty maps.

As to what to do after reaching level 80, If you decide to stay with the game, you might want to invest in the Path of Fire expansion first, to focus on getting the four basic mounts. Like Taelac also said, reaching level 80 opens up the whole game world to you. The first four mounts are not that hard to get and they will help greatly as you explore your expanded game world. (That's the Raptor, the Springer, the Skimmer, and the Jackal. There are other mounts, harder to get, that you can think about adding later.)

@Chichimec.9364 said:

@Taelac.7036 said:There are always people in lower-level maps and areas leveling characters. Some are new players, some are returning players, and some are long-time veterans leveling yet another alt. Events and dailies also drive traffic to various places, so there will usually be a time you can call out in map chat for help with something and actually get it, even if that might not be available every day.

This. I run a key farmer alt every week, usually starting in Queensdale . (That's leveling a new alt up through the level 10 personal story to get a free Black Lion Chest key.) Whenever I do there are always other players in the opening story with me. Some are veterans, obvious from their titles and shiny armor. Others seem to be new folks still trying to figure out the game mechanics. When I'm moving my alt around Queensdale, leveling them up, there are often mentors announcing in map chat that they are available to answer questions and give help as needed.

At the same time I'm working on my third map completion and as such, I'm moving through all the core Tyria maps. There's always other people on the maps. The numbers do thin out considerably after midnight but even the times I've played all night, I've seen other folks around at 3:00 am and 4:00 am. So no, you won't be playing on empty maps.

As to what to do after reaching level 80, If you decide to stay with the game, you might want to invest in the Path of Fire expansion first, to focus on getting the four basic mounts. Like Taelac also said, reaching level 80 opens up the whole game world to you. The first four mounts are not that hard to get and they will help greatly as you explore your expanded game world. (That's the Raptor, the Springer, the Skimmer, and the Jackal. There are other mounts, harder to get, that you can think about adding later.)

This is my experience as well. Sometimes the maps can seem less full but that's usually when festivals are going on. But in general you will not be alone. Anet even offers to move you to a more populated map via a popup message at times.