Manipulation of the Downed State in sPvP

slasc.3260

In my mind, the downed state has always been intended as a means of hope for a defeated player, a possibility of against the odds comeback. However, it seems it has become, instead, a means of trapping and excluding a player from a match. By only coming back in time to prevent a player from rising, a defeated player can be kept in down state for a very lengthy and very frustrating amount of time with no way to surrender or recover. I personally see this as a cheap method of match manipulation. No one should be forced to wait an arbitrary and additional idle or "near-idle" time in a match after already being defeated.

I would like to suggest a remedy: An abandoned down player should automatically recover more quickly. Abandonment could be measured in time since last damage or distance from enemy players. But, if a player is downed, and the attacker leaves, the player should have an opportunity to recover at an enhanced speed. Attacking players should be required to finish their kills.

Alternatively, there could be a rapid surrender button by which the player could choose to give up.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Snellibee.2761 said:letting a player bleed out is a strategical choice to prolong the time your team can outnumber and win the map. If you don't want to bleed out for an eternity just don't heal yourself.

^this

Also, it is a risky choice in some cases. Some teammates can ninja resurrect allies, and turn around a fight.

On the other hand you can use the downed player as bait for a would-be resser to get wreckt as well!

@"slasc.3260" said:In my mind, the downed state has always been intended as a means of hope for a defeated player, a possibility of against the odds comeback. However, it seems it has become, instead, a means of trapping and excluding a player from a match. By only coming back in time to prevent a player from rising, a defeated player can be kept in down state for a very lengthy and very frustrating amount of time with no way to surrender or recover. I personally see this as a cheap method of match manipulation. No one should be forced to wait an arbitrary and additional idle or "near-idle" time in a match after already being defeated.

I would like to suggest a remedy: An abandoned down player should automatically recover more quickly. Abandonment could be measured in time since last damage or distance from enemy players. But, if a player is downed, and the attacker leaves, the player should have an opportunity to recover at an enhanced speed. Attacking players should be required to finish their kills.

Alternatively, there could be a rapid surrender button by which the player could choose to give up.

Stop pressing that button 4. Learn to react to your opponent. Think of the idle time (if required) as part of your respawn timer which is present in other games too.

Don't press 4 just because you can.Before you do, consider whether it looks like your opponent might be coming back. It's rare for people to completely forget about you in downstate but you might have a shot of getting a res off if they push for time too much. They also may be intercepted by someone else from your team.Regardless, it's around 90% certain that trying to get the self res is not worth it in most cases. Extra time spent respawning if you do get interrupted prolongs the time your team mates are 4v5.

Worth a note is also your position on the map. Keep an eye if there's someone from your team respawning if you are close to home. If you are far and you are the far pusher, it's extremely unlikely you'll get assistance, depending a bit on if you have any mobile team mates like thieves, mesmers or warriors that are aware of what you're doing.

Ressing, stomping and rotting are player skills of the highest order, and everyone makes mistakes where they're considered. I've seen former ESL players make mistakes, trying to rot a body and then there's someone else 3 seconds later picking/ressing up the attempted rot.

Yea just recently some ppl let me bleed out in an AT match and after a while when a mate was around I started healing and pinging on me, they rezzed me and we won the fight easily. Happened to me several times the last few days.It's really a very high risk in my opinion since there's way too much rezz potential nowadays. Like just have a blood sage, firebrand or scrapper and you probably can't even outdamage/interrupt the heal. Rangers and Guardians are also particularly bad to bleed out because of their 3 heal/pet rez.

Honestly I think this has taken over in this season and I've already lost so many matches I stopped counting, just because team mates didn't care about enemies as soon as they went to down state and the opponent's team constantly kept resetting by rezzing their downed players. I even had several matches where ppl left soulbeasts(!) unattended to bleed out... Like.. they can self heal within seconds, why on earth would you do that? There's literally no chance a ranger is this dumb to actually not revive himself.

And while I also think it's a bit tedious to wait until I bleed out, I also think it would be probably even more frustrating if your team mates kept killing themselves while in downstate (if that was an option - so they can respawn faster) instead of waiting this one last second until you've reached them and revive. I bet there are a ton of ppl who would just insta-kill themselves as soon as possible just to be able to join the fight again asap and ignoring the fact they could probably be rezzed.I can actually even see this as a way to enhance match manipulation. Like if you just go down and maybe delay your death just for the perfect timing (when enemy team has a couple downstates) you can insta kill yourself and reset the whole team fight. You could argue to prevent rallying when killing yourself but then again. This could also be exploited hard then.

What I'd like to see is a nerf to rezz healing on the heal traits, this is just obnoxious in any team fight, especially with a necro (extra heal via well) or guardian (the protective dome) (both of which almost every match has). It should be more punishing to rez someone and in my opinion be only viable if you've already won the fight and just reset your fallen mates afterwards, not to infinitely sustain mid-fight.