How many of the professions do you play?

Yannir.4132

Can't play Ele for the life of me. I tried but I think I need to spend more time with them. I actually feel if I do, I might end up loving them too much hehehehe. Good Eles are soooooo cooool in pvp.

Also I don't play professions, I play builds. I cannot play S/D thief if you give me their build but I can play P/D condi Deadeye any day of the week. I can play builds that I make because I know the ins and outs of the build but give me someone else's build and I'm just like a person without bones. I just flop all over the placed.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one of each for all 9 professions, but of the ones I play with any real frequency it's only really around 5.

Ranger (core/soulbeast, despite really wanting to I found it difficult to gel with druid)Revenant (of every flavour, love playing around with this class)Necromancer (core and reaper, flavour of scourge doesn't really suit my current necro, I feel like I'd need to make a whole new character for that and I haven't bothered yet)Mesmer (core and chrono, haven't unlocked mirage yet)Warrior (core only, mainly due to flavour of berserker not suiting her and not having brought her to the desert yet)In roughly that order.

I've played other professions for learning purposes, some more than others. Only profession I've not even gone through character creator is Necro. Edit - I lie, actually I do remember testing out necro briefly, but think it was just to briefly mess about with skills in pvp lobby.

But right at this moment, only one character - I can't be bothered to alt, and like to focus one thing I enjoy playing most, especially as barely having played much since April. Not to say I haven't enjoyed other things - for sure in the past things like melee ranger, lightning hammer ele and p/p thief, etc...

Prefer to be minimal and simple - easy to log in, know everything is in the right place in inventory, gear, skills etc - don't even have to think about anything, just play. :)

5 Classes that I actually do content with:

Warrior: Open world pve, raids and FoTMGuardian: FoTMEngineer: Open world pve, raids, and WvWRanger: Open world pve, FoTMThief: Flax Farming

I do have (at least) one of each class though. Most of the others I only log into for collecting flax.

Even though I have at least one of every profession at level 80 with at least full exotic gear with appropriate stats, I can't say that I play much else than ranger.

And the "why" is very simple - I enjoy it. In games in general, class/character fantasy is the biggest make or break for me. I need a character with a class fantasy that makes me feel like I enjoy the character. I do not enjoy the warrior-like style nor do I enjoy the mesmer's pink clouds and illusions. I enjoy nature themed professions - hence ranger (maybe elementalist in the future, but right now I do not enjoy elementalist at all).

The druid elite specialization is close to perfection, when it comes to my own personal preference, fantasy-wise. But the entire elite spec execution in the live game is... Underwhelming. So nowdays I usually run a core ranger spec while waiting either for a proper summoning spec (no, not those tiny necro pets nor shabby elementalist summonings - I want something like the Tamer in BDO, Spirit Master in Aion or Summoner from FF14) or for a proper druid rework to make them at least somewhat better at DPSing.

@"Dezember.1295" said:Even though I have at least one of every profession at level 80 with at least full exotic gear with appropriate stats, I can't say that I play much else than ranger.

And the "why" is very simple - I enjoy it. In games in general, class/character fantasy is the biggest make or break for me. I need a character with a class fantasy that makes me feel like I enjoy the character. I do not enjoy the warrior-like style nor do I enjoy the mesmer's pink clouds and illusions. I enjoy nature themed professions - hence ranger (maybe elementalist in the future, but right now I do not enjoy elementalist at all).

The druid elite specialization is close to perfection, when it comes to my own personal preference, fantasy-wise. But the entire elite spec execution in the live game is... Underwhelming. So nowdays I usually run a core ranger spec while waiting either for a proper summoning spec (no, not those tiny necro pets nor shabby elementalist summonings - I want something like the Tamer in BDO, Spirit Master in Aion or Summoner from FF14) or for a proper druid rework to make them at least somewhat better at DPSing.

I find it a shame there's no nature-themed, light armor caster class in the game. Ranger/Druid is woefully insufficient at giving that flavor.

Also with the "no new classes"-policy in place, I don't even feel like showcasing any new class ideas I may have had recently. If I posted them in the forums, the reception would be the usual nerds shooting it down with "they're not adding new classes" and "omg no they have enough problems balancing 9 classes". Instead of discussing it as an idea that it is, a hypothetical exercise in creativity and not a real suggestion.

I have all 9, but tend to concentrate on a couple at a time. My reaper is my main and go to for pretty much everything. I'm bringing my chrono through PoF now, so she's getting more play (and may go Mirage). I love the Reaper's strength, instead of being a flimsy magic user. I can jump into the middle of a crowd of mobs in full zerker gear and only be stronger as I summon more minions. The mesmer is another favorite, simply because I haven't seen a class like that in other games I've played. The rest are much further behind in their stories, as I played a bit with them before picking favorites. They'll move up, eventually, but I'll still focus on only a couple at a time. It's too hard to be good at something if you're trying to keep 8 other professions straight.

Warrior, ranger, and thief occupy my 3 slots.

Ranger is very much my main character. Played one as my first pick in Guild wars 1 back in 2005 and never changed.

Warrior is a close second, and thief a distant third. I've always been partial to the classes that are about sticking em' with the pointy end.

While I actually do have 1 character of each class, only the aforementioned 3 are meaningfully developed. I have neither the time nor inclination to seriously develop more than that.

Even if Gw2 moves relatively quick for an MMO, that's still a non-trivial time sink.

I have all 9 & an extra guardian and play all at least a couple times a week, but only 4 get much attention, i would spend more time on others but don't want to spend resources on them that i keep for my Warrior.

Warrior/Berserker is my main which i spend most time on and do most content & spend most of my gold on.Core Guardian for WvW & thinking of gearing for fractal learning.Necro/Reaper for when feeling lazy and just want to to farm things easy.Ranger/Soulbeast only recently tried and enjoying so much.

Update:

After trying all 9 professions, I decided to keep Warrior, Ranger, Engineer, Guardian, and Thief. These past few days I've been playing mainly Engineer and Ranger. I almost never play Thief because I find it a little boring, but I'm keeping it because I'm hoping I will enjoy Daredevil.

So, in total, I play 4/5 professions.

All professions I play, I play in PvE openworld, fractals and WvW, though sometimes with adjusted builds.Mirage (though currently dormant thanks to balance patch "tradeoff" with a half-finished solution)Spellbreaker

I have tried my hands on a few other professions:Elementalist (Tempest first, then Weaver) - way too many powers for me to handle that correctly. Facerolling only leads to dying, yet I can't concentrate well enough to learn with attunements with my weapon lead to which powers being accessible. RIP ;)Engineer - the same thing. How can people do this? XDChronomancer (that Continuum Rift? I can't just wrap my head around how to use it correctly to any effect ;) )

As you see, I have issues. I'm happy that Spellbreaker was rather easy to learn, though timing and CD management is essential.

I voted 4, meant to vote 5, but really it is more like 2 (all 5 level 80). I have an elementalist, guardian, and revenant that I rarely play. My main is my necro/minion master, and my other fun avatar is my ranger. The others just clicked with me.

I am looking for what to try next, I just bought the mount expansion and got a new slot (have 2 open now). Not sure who, if anyone, to try next. May make a new thread about that... :)

I play everything, but as of right now I only know Thief, Warrior, Revenant, and Necromancer at a high level.

The other classes I am in the process of finding builds I like that work and are also unique while still being effective.

I play:

GS/SwordShield BerserkerS/P / Staff DaredevilMace/Shield / Sword/Axe HeraldGS/ Axe/Focus Reaper

I am working on:

Shortbox / X DruidD/D weaverSword/Focus / GD DragonhunterSword/Focus /GS Mesmer (Chrono/Mirage/Core determinant)Sword/Shield Holosmith

I have all 9, but I've had a hard time learning Revenant. It's pretty much relegated to home instance gathering only.

I no longer PVP since Anet destroyed my tank builds.

I use necromancer and engineer for all other content.Elementalist for WvW and story.Ranger for WvW and fractals.Thief for WvW and story.Guardian and Mesmer for WvW.Warrior for fractals and some WvW.

Couldn't get into ranger when the game was first released and have not really given them a chance since then, nor do I want to. Mesmers I have always have had it out for since the GW1 days( those kitten power blockers :p). I do use memser for the largos raid boss though.

my main is thief, mostly use the daredevil specialization due to be the closes thing that i'm going to get to a martial artist in this game, for now at least. The other main alts that I use are warrior and necromancer with there respective elite specializations. The other classes I play from time to time when I just wanna try something different, and I always have blast most of the time.