Open World Domination: Mirage

AliamRationem.5172

Hey! I finally managed to get my issues with video recording resolved. I still have to record in very low quality, but at least the framerates are viewable!

As there haven't been any major changes to the open world PvE build and I've shifted my focus lately to WvW roaming, I thought I'd share a new video of an adaptation of the open world build I've been using there (detailed in the previous post). This is a duel I recorded against a holosmith who put up a good fight today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Post-Patch Update:

Not much has changed for the open world PvE build. Evade uptime is down a bit, but survival still feels quite effortless even against powerful enemies. Sustained damage remains remarkably strong given how tanky the build is. I even added the Legendary Forged Rampager to my list of solo kills!

Here's the latest build, which hasn't changed significantly since the addition of torment runes:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQNAnfWnELDNohFMDupBMMjlZjqMAutkxsC2tWyv+7//H-jxxHQBxT9HadKACn+gAq8DAPBAKqEEX7PQKgqEtB-e

I love this build so much, definitely the most fun I have had with my Mesmer, thanks so much for all your posts! As a returning player who never dabbled in fractals, I know this build isn't meta or optimal for that type of content, but do you think it would be enough to handle T4s and get Ad Infinitum? I have a long way to go before I'm at that point but I'd like to know if I can stick with Mirage long term, as I like it a lot more than Chrono personally.

• 4 weeks later...

@penguin zombies.9305 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:Post-Patch Update:

Not much has changed for the open world PvE build. Evade uptime is down a bit, but survival still feels quite effortless even against powerful enemies. Sustained damage remains remarkably strong given how tanky the build is. I even added the Legendary Forged Rampager to my list of solo kills!

Here's the latest build, which hasn't changed significantly since the addition of torment runes:

I love this build so much, definitely the most fun I have had with my Mesmer, thanks so much for all your posts! As a returning player who never dabbled in fractals, I know this build isn't meta or optimal for that type of content, but do you think it would be enough to handle T4s and get Ad Infinitum? I have a long way to go before I'm at that point but I'd like to know if I can stick with Mirage long term, as I like it a lot more than Chrono personally.

Sorry for the late response. I've been away from GW2 lately.

Can it handle T4 fractals? Sure! But you would really be better off with something closer to the meta build. At the very least you'd want to use Viper rather than Trailblazer gear. The extra survivability of an open world build like this isn't needed in fractals while dealing more damage is very beneficial to your group.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Mirage_-_Condi_DPS_Chaos_(Fractal)

You might try something like this for fractals. It still uses chaos/dueling/mirage, but with axe/pistol rather than staff for a weapon swap, full viper gear, and a focus on confusion stacking. If you're comfortable with the open world build, this one will probably be easy to adjust to and should make you more useful to your group in fractals.

@"pinguadoido.6581" said:How viable is this Viper Mirage for pugging in Fractals?

Perfectly viable. The build link was taken straight from metabattle and is listed under the "great" category (4.6/5 rating). Chrono is still meta, but this build will do just fine. Keep in mind that even T4 fractals are not THAT difficult. It's much more important that you know the mechanics and how to play your class than bringing the absolute perfect meta comp.

This is even true of challenge modes. For instance, even using my Trailblazer open world build and rarely running fractals I was able to manage the split on the second boss in nightmare fractal challenge mode when I tried it. With a proper DPS build like this you should have no trouble making yourself useful to any fractal group, provided you know the fights and your rotation.

Is this guide / build still viable?I'm a new Mirage and I really like the playsytle but I have really low gold and I'm afraid to just craft and buy everything so I want to make sure that I don't do anything stupid :lol:So I focus on Trailblazer's gear right with Tormenting runes?What trinkets and accesories should I buy from Laurels?

@Tyrick.9805 said:Is this guide / build still viable?I'm a new Mirage and I really like the playsytle but I have really low gold and I'm afraid to just craft and buy everything so I want to make sure that I don't do anything stupid :lol:So I focus on Trailblazer's gear right with Tormenting runes?What trinkets and accesories should I buy from Laurels?

If money is a concern, you can start out with Dire stats exotic gear, easily obtained from vendor at entry point to Verdant Brink (except the chest, which can only be gotten from participating in the VB meta to Tier 4 completion). Ascended Dire trinkets are also available for purchase with Laurels, but Trailblazers trinkets are available from the LW Season 3 zones for purchase with the zone currency (winterberries, etc).

It's generally accepted that Trailblazers is too expensive to bother crafting exotics with. Dire is a good substitute until you can replace them with Ascended Trailblazers, IMO.

Just my two cents, worth exactly what you paid for it. :)

EDIT:Oh, and Tormenting Runes are expensive, too (I love them and run them, but they are expensive...I crafted mine, but the recipe is rare from the Pact Supply agents). The other cheaper alternative is to go with Adventurer runes, which are good +condi and give you a nice endurance boost on heal. They're a pretty popular rune among mirages with this type of build.

@Tyrick.9805 said:Is this guide / build still viable?I'm a new Mirage and I really like the playsytle but I have really low gold and I'm afraid to just craft and buy everything so I want to make sure that I don't do anything stupid :lol:So I focus on Trailblazer's gear right with Tormenting runes?What trinkets and accesories should I buy from Laurels?

Yes, the build is still viable for open world play (i.e. you can still use it to solo champion/legendary bosses and generally wreck everything you come across like in my videos).

However, like @Alexei.4698 said, Trailblazer with torment runes is an expensive set to craft. If you're looking for a cheap alternative, use dire stats with undead runes and, if you aren't too concerned about boss solos, corruption and stamina sigils are both much cheaper and more effective for "normal" open world play. For clearing out groups of normal and veteran units, the high condition damage of dire/undead paired with the on-kill effects from stamina/corruption sigils will produce higher damage and more frequent evades - all at a fraction of the cost of the trailblazer setup!