You wake up one day and found out that you are part of the balance team...

@"Mokk.2397" said:Why do people complain about unstoppable union? So it breaks stun .So what . Look at warrior Reckless Dodge — Damage foes at the end of a dodge roll unblock-able , Spell breaker Loss Aversion — Removing boons from a foe deals damage and gives you adrenaline unblock-able . Necromancer Soul Marks — Marks become unblock-able and generate life force when triggered.Besides that other professions still have more unblock-able skills than Soul beast does .Theirs far far to much nit picking about individual professions without even understanding how that profession functions or comparing traits and skills .Now I'm sure theirs going to be people say "Oh well what about the range ?" I'll say this . What about the Elementalist 4 weapon swap, The engineers tool kits , Theives stealth,Mesmer clone spam, Guardian Virtues ,Reverent legendary Heroes , Necromancer Life force ,and the Warriors devastating burst attacks.Every profession has it's tricks ,advantages and disadvantages. And no one build for any profession will be perfect.

Let ANET balance the game . They have the proper information without the individual bias to do the job right.

Ah...I was waiting for someone to ask about unstoppable union.

But lets look at Mirage Cloak first.Mirage Cloak replaces Dodge and allows the Mirage to attack while he is evading.Now pair that with Elusive Mind and you can break stun + evade + attack at the same time.Why is this OP?It opens up a lot of attack windows where the opponent is vulnerable.

For example, a warrior shield stuns a mirage and proceeds to the burst with eviscerate.In the past, a Mesmer caught by a shield stun would have to break stun and dodge the eviscerate.Now?With mirage cloak, the Mirage can evade to break stun, and burst at the same moment the warrior is doing his eviscerate.This is a very good and easy way of baiting stuns and counter-bursting.

Which is why I suggest reducing Mirage dodge to 1 bar.

Now lets look at unstoppable union.Unstoppable union allows the Soulbeast to breakstun and gain 4 seconds of unblockable attacks.Why is this OP?Like above, it opens up a lot of attack windows where the opponent becomes vulnerable.

For example, a holosmith engages with his block on and seismic slams a soulbeast and stuns him, before leaping in to do more damage.In the past, a ranger would need to break stun and dodge while the shield is on.Now?With Unstoppable union, the Soulbeast has the option to breakstun and attack through the holo's block while the holo is attacking.

This means that a lot of classes that depend on stunning and bursting with blocks on to prevent counter-bursts now cannot do that as safely anymore.

You see, the main issue isn't about unblockable. Or break stun.It is about both combined that results in a very strong Soulbeast reaching very very strong levels.Blocking burst combos become a lot less effective against them and half the classes that rely on blocks will struggle a lot more.Same thing with Mirage. It isn't about evade or attacking while evading.It is about being able to break stun + evade and attack that makes them way stronger than others when baiting stuns and counter-bursting.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@EremiteAngel.9765 said:

@"Mokk.2397" said:Why do people complain about unstoppable union? So it breaks stun .So what . Look at warrior Reckless Dodge — Damage foes at the end of a dodge roll unblock-able , Spell breaker Loss Aversion — Removing boons from a foe deals damage and gives you adrenaline unblock-able . Necromancer Soul Marks — Marks become unblock-able and generate life force when triggered.Besides that other professions still have more unblock-able skills than Soul beast does .Theirs far far to much nit picking about individual professions without even understanding how that profession functions or comparing traits and skills .Now I'm sure theirs going to be people say "Oh well what about the range ?" I'll say this . What about the Elementalist 4 weapon swap, The engineers tool kits , Theives stealth,Mesmer clone spam, Guardian Virtues ,Reverent legendary Heroes , Necromancer Life force ,and the Warriors devastating burst attacks.Every profession has it's tricks ,advantages and disadvantages. And no one build for any profession will be perfect.

Let ANET balance the game . They have the proper information without the individual bias to do the job right.

But lets look at Mirage Cloak first.Mirage Cloak replaces Dodge and allows the Mirage to attack while he is evading.Now pair that with Elusive Mind and you can break stun + evade + attack at the same time.Why is this OP?It opens up a lot of attack windows where the opponent is vulnerable.

For example, a warrior shield stuns a mirage and proceeds to the burst with eviscerate.In the past, a Mesmer caught by a shield stun would have to break stun and dodge the eviscerate.Now?With mirage cloak, the Mirage can evade to break stun, and burst at the same moment the warrior is doing his eviscerate.This is a very good and easy way of baiting stuns and counter-bursting.

Now lets look at unstoppable union.Unstoppable union allows the Soulbeast to breakstun and gain 4 seconds of unblockable attacks.Why is this OP?Like above, it opens up a lot of attack windows where the opponent becomes vulnerable.

For example, a holosmith engages with his block on and seismic slams a soulbeast and stuns him, before leaping in to do more damage.In the past, a ranger would need to break stun and dodge while the shield is on.Now?With Unstoppable union, the Soulbeast has the option to breakstun and attack through the holo's block while the holo is attacking.

This means that a lot of classes that depend on stunning and bursting with blocks on to prevent counter-bursts now cannot do that as safely anymore.

You see, the main issue isn't about unblockable. Or break stun.It is about both combined that results in a very strong Soulbeast reaching very very strong levels.Blocking burst combos become a lot less effective against them and half the classes that rely on blocks will struggle a lot more.Same thing with Mirage. It isn't about evade or attacking while evading.It is about being able to break stun + evade and attack that makes them way stronger than others when baiting stuns and counter-bursting.

What a bunch of over biased BS.Unstoppable Union is by no means OP. Look at other professions have equally strong traits and skills available to them . Some even more powerful that provided increased might, stability ,conditions ,retaliation,damage .Where,s the evade in unstoppable union. Unstoppable union requires entering Beastmode for 4 seconds of of unblock able then exiting beast mode with a 10 second cool down . ALL professions have stun breaks some with no cool down .Now if you choose not to have stun breaks in your build, that's on you and you alone. The only people that complain about it are meta players .Here's a little advice. Dump the meta , put some armor on and trait properly instead of whining about to much damage .You want to run around with celestrial and berzerker armor expecting a fire brand to hide you under its skirt that's your problem.But don't complain that you got picked off by a glass cannon.

Limit aoe skills to hit max 3 people for every skill.Reduce boon duration on skills by 33% across the board.Reduce amount of boon strip/corrupt by 33%.Reduce warclaw HP to 5000, reduce dodge to 2.Make EWP location dynamic - so it's not in the same spot every time.Contesting a waypoint requires 1% damage done to gate or wall.Stealth duration reduced by 33% across the board.Downed state HP is 15k for everyone, you cannot use skills while in downed state - you are defeated after 15s if not revived.Take a look at the most hard hitting aoe skills, tweak dmg.Necro wells and marks are now projectiles and can be reflected.Reduce barrier duration by 50%.

Barrier never should have been a thing. But now we're stuck with it. Why take any steps to avoid damage when it can just be [Absorbed]? I'd start there, and reduce the player's damage output by 33-50% while under the effects of barrier. Facetanking and full damage dealing shouldn't go hand in hand. Barrier should be for those "oh kitten" moments not to shrug off damage while melting everything in front of you.

The game is in this weird spiral. HOT condition overload leads to all kinds of cleanse being added. Conditions get nerfed, but all the cleanse stays. Power becomes meta, but damage is so out of control that boon overload becomes a thing to slow down the power creep. But the boons Anet hands out like candy mostly seem to be offensive ones, making the powercreep worse. Now there are so many boons that boon removal has to become meta, and we get the Red Ring / Bubbles of Death, which wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that they add another layer of damage. Power Necros using Scepter and Curses? Welcome to 2019!

I won't even get started on blocks, evades, and invulnerability; mechanics which are mandatory in large scale because of power creep but way too strong in small scale, so they can never be balanced.

Yeah if I woke up and found myself on the balance team, I'd request a transfer. It would take a balance update with 10 pages of notes to even begin fixing this mess.

• Elementalist - Utility skill - Twist of Fate

Overall the Elementalist is rather balanced, perhaps its non FA builds need a DPS boost even.However, its sustain is rather over the top and when you add evades to that, it can get out of hand.A two ammo stun-breaker + Evade on a 5 seconds ICD is rather lavish for a high sustain class.Reduce the charges to 1 or remove the Evade.

Just saw this and I can't read the rest. Do you ever play Weaver in WvW? it can get ut of hand LMAO. Twist of Fate can be interrupted and still get stunned.Recharge: 40s, CD 5s, its that lavish for you?Lets do a comparison.Warrior skill called "Shake It Off!":

Shout. Cure conditions on yourself and nearby allies. Also breaks stuns.

Conditions Removed: 6

Number of Targets: 5

Maximum Count: 2

Count Recharge: 50s

Radius: 600

Weaver skill called "Twist of Fate":Stance. Break stun, then spin and briefly evade attacks.

Superspeed (1½s): Movement speed is greatly increased.Evade: 1sMaximum Count: 2Count Recharge: 40sBreaks Stun

On the left hand we have a skill that has 25s cd, that cleanses 6 conditions, recharges every 50s.On the right hand we have a skill that has 5s cd does not cleanse conditions, recharges every 40s.I personally wud prefer condi cleanse + stunbreak than 1s evade that can be interrupted when animation is still goin on.//When you say weaver is top in terms of sustain, oh boi, here we go:If you wanna get more HP than 11k base health(12-13k when traited), you gonna need to add vitality.You wanna get sustain with this class? you better add some thoughness and healing power to it.Oh wait a moment, if I have to add toughness, vitality and/or healing power to it, that means im losing power/precision/ferocity?MAN, WEAVER IS TOO OP, it deserves some nerfs.////When you try to "BALANCE" a op skill in your opinion, try to see more, and you will see the class you gonna nerf is already mediocre and nerfing it doesnt help.

Greetings.

@"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

• Necromancer - Traited Scepter 3 - Devouring Darkness

Although it requires a Grandmaster Trait (Lingering Curse), which also competes with two other pretty strong GM traits (Parasitic Contagion and Weakening Shroud), it really does too much for a 10 second CD AOE Boon Corruption skill on top of its other effects.Increasing the traited version CD to 15 or 20 seconds would make it more balanced.

• Mesmer - Profession Mechanic - Mirage Cloak

This mechanic is too strong and grants a lot of counter-play options to the Mesmer.Access to this needs to be reduced.What I would suggest is that Mirage gets only 1 Dodge bar. Simply remove the Mirage's ability to use this while they are CC'd.Normal professions got 2, Daredevils got 3, Mirage should get only 1. Their access to the mechanic isn't the problem, its how its applied that makes it an issue.

Overall the Elementalist is rather balanced, perhaps its non FA builds need a DPS boost even.However, its sustain is rather over the top and when you add evades to that, it can get out of hand.A two ammo stun-breaker + Evade on a 5 seconds ICD is rather lavish for a high sustain class. Tone down on the amount of healing done, but not by a lot. This is only relevant in smallscale/1v1 though.Reduce the charges to 1 or remove the Evade. Barrier generation on Weaver can be abused on a squishy build to make it much more tanky. That should also get >toned down as well.

• Thief - Rifle 4 - Death's Retreat Silent Scope

Thieves have always had a major problem when the elite specs were introduced imo.Their elite weapons Staff & Rifle could do everything.Damage, control, kite.Because of their initiative based design, they did not need to swap to a different weapon in a fight.Place a 10-15 second ICD on Silent Scope.~~ Increasing initiative for mobility-based weapon skills is a good step forward to make thieves swap to a different weapon in a fight.~~This would help alleviate a lot of problems with how "available" a Deadeye is to actually hit.Death's Retreat initiative cost up from 5 to 6.

• Ranger - Trait - Unstoppable Union

Soulbeast should not get access to unblockable on a stun break.Remove unblockable which will even the field more and give at least half the other classes more counterplay against them.

• Engineer - Profession Mechanic 2 - Holo Leap Sustain

This swiftness synergy with the invigorating trait is making holo overly beastly with almost perma vigor. One of Holo's greatest imbalances is its damage paired with its sustain.Remove swiftness from this skill. Tone down healing on the Holosmith or tone down access to boons. Possibly make it so that you heal slightly less if you are in Photon Forge Mode.Retain the Zephyr trait so that it needs to be traited for more mobility but as super speed.

• Guardian - Trait - Archivist of Whispers

I think Guards are the most balanced class when it comes to small scale.A moderate level of everything without being overly strong in any area.If I had to choose one though, it would be Archivist of Whispers.Adding 3 more pages is making tomes a little too strong imo.Removing the 3 pages and giving it increased 20% effectiveness or duration might be more balanced.

• Warrior - Elite Skill - Rampage

Personally I think Warriors are quite stable, but if something needs toning down, its Rampage.Too much rolled into one skill.The increased 20K HP and damage reduce 25% is over the top.They should be vulnerable too when they go rampaging.You know, all offense and no defense.Remove either HP or damage reduction so there is more counterplay.

• Revenant - Sword 5 - Deathstrike Might uptime

Almost every Rev attack combo hits hard.Too hard perhaps.And their traditional weakness to condition foes have been relieved by options like cleansing sigils. This hard hitting damage primarily comes from having at least 20+ Might at all times so long as they are in combat.Currently they gain Might either directly from a Might proc but also 5 stacks of Might whenever they gain Fury.Remove the 2nd strike on Deathstrike and we are good. Reduce Might gain from traits and abilities.

I'd much prefer this. Some of them are a little more "broad spectrum" to address but ultimately that would be the better course as its not wise to single out one ability when it isn't exactly the root of the problem. Like for Revenant; Deathstrike isn't the problem, especially not its second hit. That isn't why it hurts so much. Revenant, specifically Herald, and its Might uptime in combat is what makes really any of its attacks problematic.

The same goes for Mirage. Mirage Cloak's effect or frequency isn't the problem, its how it functions in the game. Mirage can hit their dodge key and get their evade during a CC, any CC and it is the only class that can do this as they wish. Its been toned down a bit with the nerf they got to the duration of the evade, but there is still the problem of them being able to have what can essentially amount to a mechanic that can save them from even bothering to use a stunbreak and its on a sub 10 second cooldown, especially with Vigor active. The reason this happens is because Mirage's dodge works different compared to any other class, rather than it being an animation that plays for the character it is instead an effect that is applied to the character that bypasses any and all other "statuses" placed upon them. Basically, hit button effect is applied.

@"len.7809" said:

Overall the Elementalist is rather balanced, perhaps its non FA builds need a DPS boost even.However, its sustain is rather over the top and when you add evades to that, it can get out of hand.A two ammo stun-breaker + Evade on a 5 seconds ICD is rather lavish for a high sustain class.Reduce the charges to 1 or remove the Evade.

Just saw this and I can't read the rest. Do you ever play Weaver in WvW? it can get ut of hand LMAO. Twist of Fate can be interrupted and still get stunned.Recharge: 40s, CD 5s, its that lavish for you?Lets do a comparison.Warrior skill called "Shake It Off!":

Shout. Cure conditions on yourself and nearby allies. Also breaks stuns.

Conditions Removed: 6

Number of Targets: 5

Maximum Count: 2

Count Recharge: 50s

Radius: 600

Weaver skill called "Twist of Fate":Stance. Break stun, then spin and briefly evade attacks.

Superspeed (1½s): Movement speed is greatly increased.Evade: 1sMaximum Count: 2Count Recharge: 40sBreaks Stun

On the left hand we have a skill that has 25s cd, that cleanses 6 conditions, recharges every 50s.On the right hand we have a skill that has 5s cd does not cleanse conditions, recharges every 40s.I personally wud prefer condi cleanse + stunbreak than 1s evade that can be interrupted when animation is still goin on.//When you say weaver is top in terms of sustain, oh boi, here we go:If you wanna get more HP than 11k base health(12-13k when traited), you gonna need to add vitality.You wanna get sustain with this class? you better add some thoughness and healing power to it.Oh wait a moment, if I have to add toughness, vitality and/or healing power to it, that means im losing power/precision/ferocity?MAN, WEAVER IS TOO OP, it deserves some nerfs.////When you try to "BALANCE" a op skill in your opinion, try to see more, and you will see the class you gonna nerf is already mediocre and nerfing it doesnt help.

Greetings.

As a biased necro player, his condi aoe spam frenzy can get offset by ToF because it gives eles some breathing room. He specifically asks to nerf sustain on weaver while leaving fresh air as it is...then he throws some "buff" for d/d.

There would be no need for evade spam...if there would be no aoe spam with insta activation ......I mean the OP play this class below..what else can you expect from his balance suggestions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0JWZ8t08TY

I would do a few things:in general - no more multi-effect skills, no more single hits that do more then a certain percentage (less for low cd ones), less boon and condi spam, give some access to important boons like stab to other classes, put short lasting (1sec) defiance on all stun breaks, give off meta builds increased effectiveness and functionality (druid CA healing 10 ppl), no more boons on weapon skills, reduce aa cleave # of targetsaoe - damage gets less pulses higher target cap, no more cone aoe, no more fancy animations on spam-able aoe, give support aoe decent radius (360)

• 3 weeks later...

@Mokk.2397 said:

@Mokk.2397 said:Why do people complain about unstoppable union? So it breaks stun .So what . Look at warrior Reckless Dodge — Damage foes at the end of a dodge roll unblock-able , Spell breaker Loss Aversion — Removing boons from a foe deals damage and gives you adrenaline unblock-able . Necromancer Soul Marks — Marks become unblock-able and generate life force when triggered.Besides that other professions still have more unblock-able skills than Soul beast does .Theirs far far to much nit picking about individual professions without even understanding how that profession functions or comparing traits and skills .Now I'm sure theirs going to be people say "Oh well what about the range ?" I'll say this . What about the Elementalist 4 weapon swap, The engineers tool kits , Theives stealth,Mesmer clone spam, Guardian Virtues ,Reverent legendary Heroes , Necromancer Life force ,and the Warriors devastating burst attacks.Every profession has it's tricks ,advantages and disadvantages. And no one build for any profession will be perfect.

What a bunch of over biased BS.Unstoppable Union is by no means OP. Look at other professions have equally strong traits and skills available to them . Some even more powerful that provided increased might, stability ,conditions ,retaliation,damage .Where,s the evade in unstoppable union. Unstoppable union requires entering Beastmode for 4 seconds of of unblock able then exiting beast mode with a 10 second cool down . ALL professions have stun breaks some with no cool down .Now if you choose not to have stun breaks in your build, that's on you and you alone. The only people that complain about it are meta players .Here's a little advice. Dump the meta , put some armor on and trait properly instead of whining about to much damage .You want to run around with celestrial and berzerker armor expecting a fire brand to hide you under its skirt that's your problem.But don't complain that you got picked off by a glass cannon.

Looks like I got it right about the unblockable aspects =)

@Irenio CalmonHuang.2048 said:...

Ranger

...We're also reducing access to the unblockable effect provided by some skills and traits in order to create more opportunities for others....

• Unstoppable Union: This trait no longer grants an unblockable boon. Instead, it removes movement-impairing conditions in addition to its previous effect of stunbreaking when activating beastmode.

Wake up as a member of the balance team...

1. Make sure i do NOT read any player suggestions/feedback.
  2. If i happen to actually play GW2 myself then try and buff my class and nerf any class that counters mine.
  3. If i dont happen to play GW2, then just go to work and secretly play the game i do like during office hours.

@Spartacus.3192 said:Wake up as a member of the balance team...

1. Make sure i do NOT read any player suggestions/feedback.
  2. If i happen to actually play GW2 myself then try and buff my class and nerf any class that counters mine.
  3. If i dont happen to play GW2, then just go to work and secretly play the game i do like during office hours.

This sounds suspiciously accurate.

I would fix all the warrior bugs...

• revenant Life siphon deals massive damage through endure pain
  • Hammer F1 radius AoE is smaller than the radius shown.
  • Hammer F1 leap does not hit targets at different elevations.
  • Savage leap does not hit targets at different elevations.
  • Flurry activation has a delay 0.5 second lag. Yes, you click the button and 0.5 sec later Flurry activates (no it is not my internet connection, the lag is similar to the eviscerate lag)
  • mending heals for a lower amount than what the tooltip says.
  • When you equip longbow, you play in slow motion. If I was a dev I would make this a decent weapon, no more slow motion BS.
  • Brawler's recovery sometimes does not remove blindness when you weapon swap.

And many, many, many, many more warrior bugs that If were to write them all, I would spend a whole day just writing them down.Bull's charge and Rush not hitting reliably, etc.........................

@"Hitman.5829" said:I would fix all the warrior bugs...

• revenant Life siphon deals massive damage through endure pain
  • Hammer F1 radius AoE is smaller than the radius shown.
  • Hammer F1 leap does not hit targets at different elevations.
  • Savage leap does not hit targets at different elevations.
  • Flurry activation has a delay 0.5 second lag. Yes, you click the button and 0.5 sec later Flurry activates (no it is not my internet connection, the lag is similar to the eviscerate lag)
  • mending heals for a lower amount than what the tooltip says.
  • When you equip longbow, you play in slow motion. If I was a dev I would make this a decent weapon, no more slow motion BS.
  • Brawler's recovery sometimes does not remove blindness when you weapon swap.

And many, many, many, many more warrior bugs that If were to write them all, I would spend a whole day just writing them down.Bull's charge and Rush not hitting reliably, etc.........................

And then 15 months later I'd identify most of these fixes as bugs and revert them.

uYevg3T.jpg

Rather than investing in one off changes, I would spend that time writing a report that kicked out the top and bottom used traits, skills, weapons, etc. I would then slightly nerf the top ones and slightly buff the bottom ones every month. Diversity is the key to balance. Having traits, weapons, etc that players feel they have to use to stay relevant is systemic to unhealthy game balance.