GW2 on Raspberry Pi 4

As above , the cpu is too slow.Try playing GW2 on an old Intel celeron based CPU with integrated graphics Laptop to get an idea of how slow the game is .May be possible in the future if sufficiently fast ARM based laptops with CPU speeds closer to 3 Ghz or more and dedicated video cards become widely available.Having to support multiple OS is a big task for a game company, so you need an extremely strong business case.It would be the equivalent of trying to port GW2 to a low end mobile phone .

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't get it ... why would anyone want to play a 14 YO PC game on a R Pi, even if it was powerful enough to run the game well? What's the sell here?

Look up retro gaming...

Pi is still far too niche a device for this task. Who really uses a Pi? Enthusiasts of small form factor devices. Again, as was stated before, even assuming they do port the original over, the Pi really isn't that powerful. Pi 4 is nice and I'll be getting myself the 2GB version to replace my Pi 3 as my main retro gaming console device and turn my Pi 3 into a Pi-Hole, but other than that, I have no delusions that it'll do more than that without some drastic change. Unless something suddenly changes where the Pi is suddenly being talked about by everyone and starts becoming a more household name or something the industry can seriously take advantage of due to it appealing to a massive crowd, it won't happen. Great suggestion, but it's also greatly flawed.

It seems to me a bigger audience would be those running linux on x86, and Anet have not ported gw1 or gw2 for that (and in all fairness, I think that is a reasonable decision). And that is likely an easier port than going to arm.I have no real idea how big the retro game market is. But it isn't just a matter of the size, but the willingness of those to pay. For me personally, I don't think much about pay $3 for some game on my phone, but much less willing to pay $30. And the problem for GW1 is that there may be a decent number of people that already have accounts that might play it on such a device, but that doesn't make Anet any many.MMOs also have much higher ongoing costs - there is a new update every few weeks (so adding a new cpu and architecture means building & testing on that). For single player games, you can often just port it once and never touch it again.

The bigger problem with porting to a new architecture is that its got to attract new players, ie people who arnt now playing GW2 at all.There no point simply catering to existing players who simply want to play the game on another OS.That why theres no value in porting to x86 based Linux because GW2 can be run using Wine.What percentage of potential players would own a Raspberry PI, but not own a PC?

@Tekoneiric.6817 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:I don't get it ... why would anyone want to play a 14 YO PC game on a R Pi, even if it was powerful enough to run the game well? What's the sell here?

Look up retro gaming...

So the sell is playing old games on new gear that isn't as good as current computers? I mean ... my question still stands ... what market is out there for people to do this? What's the advantage other than appealing to some very small segment of the market? I honestly don't see enough of a market lining up to play an old game ported onto an R Pi for nostalgia to make it a viable business consideration. What a waste of time.

Is it a 'cool' idea for a hobbyist? Maybe ... but there isn't a business case here.

easy, do it yourself, install Linux on the Pie and throw Wine on it to emulate GW1

why should Anet want to burn cash on a niche platform?iOS and Android, sure, the mobile hardware are getting pretty good these days, and the pace of the gameplay does not need fast user respond, so there can be money made there