Please dont make any story instance achievements for season 5

These achievements are by far one of the most annoying parts of the game. They usually are some dumb gimmick that requires you to actively ignore the story and fight to control mob AI, avoid fighting/story objectives altogether, or play some mini game where the rules are on a tooltip beside your buffs. There are much better ways to introduce additional content or more challenge to the story missions than this. Almost all of them are designed with fail conditions that force you to restart multiple times, and all they do is make you wish that you could skip all dialogue and story elements.

They have already gutted the difficulty of the story instances to cater to those who don't want a challenge.The achievements are there as the only thing in story instances to provide some reason to try.

Now you want the achieves taken away as well?

This is a terrible idea. It absolutely reduces what could be really good content even further into the "click to win"-fest that is rapidly killing my enjoyment of this game.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:There are much better ways to introduce additional content or more challenge to the story missions than this.

Such as?

Maybe if you suggested some alternatives your idea would be more popular with other players, because at the moment it sounds like you're asking to remove something you don't personally enjoy, but with no apparent benefit for all the people who do enjoy it. Or even for those who don't mind it.

My main issue is with achievements that have fail conditions that are not explained, or out of your control. Also most of these achievements arent "challenging", they are just annoying.

Examples of bad achievements in All or nothing:Power Play - Charge three crystals with the magic of veteran Branded foes.You would think this is easy, just kill regular mobs outside the circles until you kill a veteran in all 3... except aurene gets aggro and kills regular mobs to finish charging crystals. Bad AI outside of your control results in failed achievement.

Conquer your fears - Execute a powerful and cooperative strike on Branded Aurene with Aurene. Completion requirement is described as "After breaking Branded Aurene's defiance bar, get into melee range and activate the Lancing Assault special action skill." After multiple attempts doing as described, either a bug or poor description results in failed achievement.

Trial By Fire - Avoid getting hit by Branded Aurene's breath attacks. Despite the seemingly simple description, getting hit by attacks other than "Branded Aurene's breath attacks" result in failed achievement.

These are just some examples from one episode.

As for alternate ideas, Im very supportive of introducing solo content that is actually challenging. Why not have challenge motes like there are in fractals/raids, instance modifiers like fractal instabilities, gambits like in the queens gauntlet, anything other than arbitrary fail conditions that you have to figure out by trial and error or large numbers of mindless attempts.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:These achievements are by far one of the most annoying parts of the game. They usually are some dumb gimmick that requires you to actively ignore the story and fight to control mob AI, avoid fighting/story objectives altogether, or play some mini game where the rules are on a tool tip beside your buffs. There are much better ways to introduce additional content or more challenge to the story missions than this. Almost all of them are designed with fail conditions that force you to restart multiple times, and all they do is make you wish that you could skip all dialogue and story elements.

The story achievements are optional in the first place, and second how do they detract from the story when you have to do the story a second time to even do them(most are not available on the first play through, that only unlocks them, unless that's changed sometime within the last season).

I love story achieves. If I don't get them on first play I just go back to it later or on alt. It gives me something to do and challenge myself to get achievements during tries (instead of just mindlesly "afk" behind npcs). It makes me go back to stories in long run as well. I do not rush through them to get them done asap. As for the challenge mote mentioned earlier, I'm all for adding those a little more (achievements either shared with the easy mode version or not).

I think they should keep story achievements as they are, but add "skip to a certain point" motes/checkpoints, like they did in the last instance of the last LWS3 episode in the volcano, which let you skip a large portion of the trash mobs to get to the boss fight. No idea why they did that as a one time thing, since the technicality clearly exists. This would make these achievements way less frustrating to get through due to less lengthy dialogue and hordes of trash mobs that have nothing to do with the actual achievements.

Honestly, I could do without any more "win the fight in X amount of time" or "don't get hit by (insert boss attack)" achievements, because they're always the worst and most tedious ones.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:They should have story achieves. What they need is to not make 100 percent requirement like the 18/18 in Dragon fall and I remember one the season before as well.It was the Bitterfrost one.

@Zaklex.6308 said:

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:These achievements are by far one of the most annoying parts of the game. They usually are some dumb gimmick that requires you to actively ignore the story and fight to control mob AI, avoid fighting/story objectives altogether, or play some mini game where the rules are on a tool tip beside your buffs. There are much better ways to introduce additional content or more challenge to the story missions than this. Almost all of them are designed with fail conditions that force you to restart multiple times, and all they do is make you wish that you could skip all dialogue and story elements.

The story achievements are optional in the first place, and second how do they detract from the story when you have to do the story a second time to even do them(most are not available on the first play through, that only unlocks them, unless that's changed sometime within the last season).

That's only in Season 2. From HoT onward all but a few achievements are available on first playthrough.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:They should have story achieves. What they need is to not make 100 percent requirement like the 18/18 in Dragon fall and I remember one the season before as well.

@notebene.3190 said:I’m fine with story achievements existing, and being ones you can pursue to complete the meta, but I appreciate the LW zones that have far more choices available to complete the meta.

These are much better solutions than completely dropping achievements.

If you don't like the achievements, don't do them. Don't ask them to take them away from those who enjoy them. I don't do many, but find it fun when some guildmates want to go for them. Many are meant to be replayed with a small group, not accomplished alone. Do the story first, then if you want the achievements, get some friends and do them. If you don't like them, ignore them.

I only hope they stop adding stupid 1 ap achievments that don't even deserve to be called achievments. The ones that add some gimmick to fights or instances are fine and they are not meant to be done during first playthrough. I mean you can but I always just ignore most of them and play for the story first. I really enjoyed S2 achievments.