Recent PvP Queuing Instability

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"Skotlex.7580" said: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

@"MissCee.1295" said:UPDATE: If you create/join a squad, then leave, it should "reset" & you can queue for matches again. Worked for me & several others who were in pvp lobby together.

Try this, people. Sounds like a much faster workaround than waiting for Anet to squash the bug.

Tried it, it helped my friend but not me. I've been unable to queue for hours. He can now queue if he's not in a team with me. I'm cursed!

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello GW2 PVPer's!

My name is Robert and I'm on the Platform/Server team here at ArenaNet. I've been working with the PvP team for the past few weeks on this issue of queue instability. I wanted to write a quick note here and try to give a bit of insight as to what's going on.

First and foremost, this is a very visible issue for the team here. We understand your frustration, and we are working both on improved mitigation and resolution for this issue.

This week, alongside the new release, we deployed additional code to the pvp servers. The goals for these changes were additional logging and metrics to help us better understand the patterns around this issue, as well as an attempted timer-based mitigation to reduce the overall time that a stuck roster will take to get cleaned up. We placed the timer update in one of the main code paths for roster destruction, however, we have not seen any instances of this timer having be activated thus far. This tells us that the main destroy path is working, but that does not yet help those players who are getting stuck.

The root cause of this issue deals with the mechanism we are using to sync multiple pieces of information from a single source of truth. When a roster is "finished" (either through completing its series of states, or getting invalidated during one of its states), we need to perform update and cleanup steps across multiple objects and multiple networked servers. These steps must be resilient to transient errors caused by internal server errors, network timeout errors, and more.

The simplest explanation for where we are right now is: we have 100 different ways to manage an object, and 99 of them are working correctly. With the new logging and metrics, we are already gaining additional insight into where the divergent behaviour is originating.

This is good news, and we are making progress, but writing and rolling out the root cause fix will still take some time.

Thanks, and we appreciate your patience,

-R

@"Robert Neckorcuk II.6193" said:Hello GW2 PVPer's!

My name is Robert and I'm on the Platform/Server team here at ArenaNet. I've been working with the PvP team for the past few weeks on this issue of queue instability. I wanted to write a quick note here and try to give a bit of insight as to what's going on.

First and foremost, this is a very visible issue for the team here. We understand your frustration, and we are working both on improved mitigation and resolution for this issue.

This week, alongside the new release, we deployed additional code to the pvp servers. The goals for these changes were additional logging and metrics to help us better understand the patterns around this issue, as well as an attempted timer-based mitigation to reduce the overall time that a stuck roster will take to get cleaned up. We placed the timer update in one of the main code paths for roster destruction, however, we have not seen any instances of this timer having be activated thus far. This tells us that the main destroy path is working, but that does not yet help those players who are getting stuck.

The root cause of this issue deals with the mechanism we are using to sync multiple pieces of information from a single source of truth. When a roster is "finished" (either through completing its series of states, or getting invalidated during one of its states), we need to perform update and cleanup steps across multiple objects and multiple networked servers. These steps must be resilient to transient errors caused by internal server errors, network timeout errors, and more.

The simplest explanation for where we are right now is: we have 100 different ways to manage an object, and 99 of them are working correctly. With the new logging and metrics, we are already gaining additional insight into where the divergent behaviour is originating.

This is good news, and we are making progress, but writing and rolling out the root cause fix will still take some time.

Thanks, and we appreciate your patience,

-R

Thanks for the updates.

From what I understand, the roster is supposed to clear itself after a while for stuck accounts to get out, right?And that time is taking longer because you don't want tournament rosters to get cleared as well?Can't you separate that asset for tournament rosters? like don't get them cleaned up, or get them cleaned up much later than normal ranked/unranked matches. I've been stuck for two hours now, surely any roster doesn't last that long. I'm just trying to do ranked matches and I can't.

This causes some players, such as me, to not be able to complete their daily achievements for ascension. It delays your progress by an entire season + the season downtime.

This time its at record high for me. 7 hours and still bugged.

Edit: even the daily reset did not fix it.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065
Although I appreciate some kind of response, it has been nearly 2 months since this issue has started at least for me, and as of right now, because I have it in front of me. is still an issue. and you say working with the "pvp team" like really? a team? almost makes me laugh. I wasn't always good at this game but i really started to put in effort to become a better player and i did. i managed to get a top ten title and some satisfaction out of my "hard work". I would bet every dollar in my bank account that there is only 1-3 people working on pvp, and it shows , from the lack of content, swiss tournaments being talked and talked about for how long now? Balance patches that are more rare than a sugar cube on the moon. and even when we get them , such as the last 2-3 patches, change literally absolutely nothing about the game. yeah really seems like the pvp team is hard at work. maybe im wrong, maybe you are all working tirelessly day in day out to improve pvp, but everything leads to me thinking otherwise. I honestly feel sorry for you, and anyone else who had any pvp related problems thrown on your desk's, because i truly believe you all couldn't care less about this part of the game.

If you guys haven't you should read about how employees at video game companies are treated in recent revelations. It happened to Bioware and EA and recently Blizzard.

It would not surprise me at all if people at ANET are extremely short staffed and overworked and it would explain this bug, and many other things about the state of the game.