What is up with the matchmaker?

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time. In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends. Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

Well, can we start playing with 4 friends?

• ArenaNet Staff

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time.
In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends.
Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

You can, if you queue up for an AT!

@"Ben Phongluangtham.1065" said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time. In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends. Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

if you agree its not fun when not playing with friends then why did you limit us to only playing with 1 friend?

the amount of exclusion that happened because of it... really sucks telling a 3rd person you rather play with the more experienced friend rather than all play together

Just curious, is there any other queue options being looked into besides merged queues? Is a split SoloQ and/or TeamQ on the table at all? If not Is there a cap coming to that? Like, not allowing two people of great rating disparity to queue together(IE a Legend or Plat3 queuing with a silver who might not be silver on another account?)

I kinda feel like it gets, or has the potential to get a bit Kafkaesque; especially given what you said about the matchmaker and high-rating DuoQs.

Just curious, is there any other queue options being looked into besides merged queues? Is a split SoloQ and/or TeamQ on the table at all? If not Is there a cap coming to that? Like, not allowing two people of great rating disparity to queue together(IE a Legend or Plat3 queuing with a silver who might not be silver on another account?)

I kinda feel like it gets, or has the potential to get a bit Kafkaesque; especially given what you said about the matchmaker and high-rating DuoQs.

You can queue with a team of 5 at anytime in unranked. If you all don't like the number 1 and 2 players queuing together in ranked, you really wont like the 1,2,3,4,5 players queuing together.

@phantom.1675 said:You can queue with a team of 5 at anytime in unranked. If you all don't like the number 1 and 2 players queueing together, you really wont like the 1,2,3,4,5 players queueing together.

I mean specifically for ranked ^^

That'd be up to the top 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 players at that time to do. At least that way there's options to play ranked with friends that don't burn or even interfere with SoloQ players at all.

And if the first thing those top 5 players do with TeamQ is queue exclusively with eachother, then i'd question whether being able to play with friends is the motive or an excuse.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time.
In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends.
Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

I hope that wasnt a serious answer...

some of us have jobs and family to provide for and cant adhere to your very specific time schedule.

• ArenaNet Staff

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time.

some of us have jobs and family to provide for and cant adhere to your very specific time schedule.

It's a bit of a joke, a bit of truth. We made the sliding schedule so that there should always be a tournament time 2-3 times per week that fits your schedule. We're currently considering increasing available tournaments to give people more opportunities. In the far distant future, we are planning for on demand tournaments. Basically, tournaments that will launch when at least 4 teams have signed up.

It's a bit of a joke, a bit of truth. We made the sliding schedule so that there should always be a tournament time 2-3 times per week that fits your schedule. We're currently considering increasing available tournaments to give people more opportunities. In the far distant future, we are planning for on demand tournaments. Basically, tournaments that will launch when at least 4 teams have signed up.

That'll be great.You guys have built such a wonderful combat system to enjoy, I miss enjoying it with friends.

For me personally it's just timing, I happen to get home right as the enrollment closed and I'm generally in bed before the next enrollment.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

That'll be great.You guys have built such a wonderful combat system to enjoy, I miss enjoying it with friends.

For me personally it's just timing, I happen to get home right as the enrollment closed and I'm generally in bed before the next enrollment.

Well, I"ll be around in the distant future playing GW2 with my cybernetic implants as long as the game is still running.

@Crab Fear.1624 said:

Well, I"ll be around in the distant future playing GW2 with my cybernetic implants as long as the game is still running.

Which is perfect, considering swiss will probably be coming soon by then.

PS: I love that Ben is being more active in this thread today, really appreciatte it.

With that said, there are some threads with some really good critics to PvP that should get some attention. I see a lot of constructive feedback being ignored and that is just sad. More transparency, please.

@Sorem.9157 said:

Which is perfect, considering swiss will probably be coming soon by then.

PS: I love that Ben is being more active in this thread today, really appreciatte it.

With that said, there are some threads with some really good critics to PvP that should get some attention. I see a lot of constructive feedback being ignored and that is just sad. More transparency, please.

Im pretty sure no constructive feedback gets ignored. Just because theres no direct discussion with devs doesnt mean they are not considering and discussing things internally.

Swiss, alliances, more ATs... gotta say, cant wait for all the PvP changes.

In the far distant future, in a galaxy far far away, Anet will introduce updates soon.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:...Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time. In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends. Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

Really? Why not create a separate queue for duos then? Or allow 5man teams. Cmon man can’t you see this hurts the game mode more than it favors it. You are punishing people that dont play with a partner to cater for a minority...

As I understood it years ago during a forum discussion about the change from solo/teamarena to unranked/ranked, its a LOT difficult, if not impossible to add another queue. I think duo queue and ATs is a good compromise there. You can always luck out and get 2 passable duos on your ranked match. Or join as duo yourself.Also, the poll wasnt clearly in favor of soloqueue, so neither solo-queuers nor team-queuers are a minority.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time. In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends. Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

Thank you for replying. I can understand not punishing people for success, but this current system stops everyone else from succeeding. You can't climb when you're in a match against the top two players with a huge disparity between average team skill levels, so in those games the other 5 people should just... give up? Every game that the top two duo together is great for those two players and awful for 5 others, especially since it's a reason the game mode has been hemorrhaging players. What new pvper in silver/gold is going to continue if they're put in unwinnable matchups?

DuoQ unbalances the matchmaker too much, one of the best seasons we've had recently was the soloq after 1600. There were still people fixing matches, but they had to work harder to do it. As you've said, if you want to play with friends ATs and unranked are available.

@"NotoriousNaru.1705" said:Dawg idfk who u are but heres some advice, actually know what you're talking about before you spout nonsense. EVERY.SINGLE.GAME i have played was duo'd with someone who is higher rated than me so save me that bs. You are literally the epitome of every forum pleb with 0 information acting like they know anything, you dont.

We have been qing duo as r1 and r2 the entire season. He has more games played than me qing with other people so where is this qing with low alts to get easier games bs? I legit just explained to you why high rated players in low rated games = NOT WORTH but you're too dense to even understand basic concepts. Anyone that has run into us this ranked season knows we were both on our mains. This is the last time im posting here to clarify misinformation because clearly no matter how much I explain it some people just lack common sense but keep yelling wintrade and cry because some people are just better than you.

Edit: because both of us are qing on our mains and not using low alts to tank rating here is how our qs go, and it is exactly why we get put into games we shouldnt be in.

and before you cry about offhour qing, look at the time.

All i'm saying is it's a thing people do. Not directly accusing you or anything, but you did try and say that DuoQ isn't exploitable at all, when the reality is; it is being and has been exploited season after season since it was reimplemented.

Now I may be a misinformed nobody(As that seems to be the go-to insult for top rated players to dealing with any sort of criticism) but I understand at least that the top spots are really volatile, and the formula for determining rank gain screws you, but not to the extent of +2/-40. That isn't even close to normal for that rating. As a content creator that's been in that top spot consistently, I don't see how you can expect people to believe it is.

Like I say, not accusing anyone of anything. I recognized your mains from the OPs screenshot even. You had just said that DuoQ isn't exploitable even thought it is, and you also gave what is either a pretty gross exaggeration of rank gain compared to rank lost, or; like I say, it could be DuoQing with a smurf because that would do it.

And it is absolutely practical to do that. If you are satisfied with whatever spot you have on the LB, that would be an easy way to keep your spot and keep up with decay and/or the minimum games LB requirement.

And that is an argument against DuoQ, not you specifically.

Pretty sure John from my team was the smurf. Trebbed for 3m, then ran directly to naru to feed on respawn.

Maybe @Ben Phongluangtham.1065 can clear up how the matchmaker decided this was an even game?

I could try to look up the match. I'd need the display name of one person in the match, the approximate date/time of the match and to make it easier, the final score.

Thank you for the response!
  • Egorum.9506
  • 6/24/19 @ 0918 PST
  • Red: 501 Blue: 61

Yep. That was definitely not a good match. Actually, probably the worst match I've ever personally looked up! Unfortunately, there is not much the matchmaker could have done in this case. 2 legendary players duo-queuing is near impossible to find another pair of legendary players playing at the same time.

I would bet the legendary players were in queue for close to 10 minutes at least. When a match is being built around you, the matchmaker looks for players within 25 rating of you. It doesn't start expanding the range until it's been looking for players for 5 minutes. After that, it expands slowly until it can find 10 players. To find the players it did for this match, it would likely have taken close to another 5 minutes.

We ran some experiments on the unranked matchmaker a while back, as some might recall. We tried several tweaks, but all it really did was make put some people in queue for 40+ minutes, with little discernible increase in match quality by the time they did finally make it in.

If two legendary players duoQing is near impossible to find a match for, why is it in the game? The only people that benefit are the two legendary players while screwing over everyone else. Kind of insane to focus on pleasing the top 1% when they repeatedly manipulate the system season after season and destroy any sense of competition in your game mode =/

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Re: the matchmaker not keeping high rated players in queue longer: The reward for getting better at the game can't be, "You don't get to play anymore."Re: Duo queue - We thought about this for a long time. In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends. Additionally, removing a feature is a poor reward for getting better at the game. It also motivated all sorts of bad behavior, which I won't go into.

One could also argue that removing the 5 man que option years ago was a poor reward for players who worked on team coordination and that also denied people from playing with even more of their friends.

Oh but right, Automated Tournaments...which aren't even available as frequently as just being able to Que for Ranked.

:/

You guys at ArenaNet should really do a Devstream where you talk about the future of this game. Barely anyone is going to see a post like this, especially after it gets buried in the forums after a couple of days to a week where the information will just be lost to the ether until it randomly comes up again or until you actually announce the change or until it just appears in the patch notes one day in the far flung future.

The attempts at communication are appreciated, but it really needs to be more consolidated and more direct so that the information is easily found and doesn't get lost in the depths of the forum space.

@KryTiKaL.3125 said:

One could also argue that removing the 5 man que option years ago was a poor reward for players who worked on team coordination and that also denied people from playing with
even more
of their friends.

Oh but right, Automated Tournaments...which aren't even available as frequently as just being able to Que for Ranked.

:/

You guys at ArenaNet should really do a Devstream where you talk about the future of this game. Barely anyone is going to see a post like this, especially after it gets
buried
in the forums after a couple of days to a week where the information will just be lost to the ether until it randomly comes up again or until you actually announce the change or until it just appears in the patch notes one day in the far flung future.

The attempts at communication are appreciated, but it really needs to be more consolidated and more direct so that the information is easily found and doesn't get lost in the depths of the forum space.

Not just a regular devstream - one oriented towards the competitive aspect of the game. We saw Anet maybe play once or twice WvW and then... I can't even recall the last time I saw them play PvP. Just playing the FFA or in unranked, as a 5 men. They'd get time to appreciate, in the word's largest sense, how these two gamemodes went off track. I'm still traumatizes (well, it's an exaggeration but still) fighting against Naru and Anya because they queued for 8 minutes straight, placing them against gold players. But that's off-topic. I guess XD

They can play with their friends in ATs or unranked! You said that yourself! They just won't be able to "play with their friends" in ranked, where "playing with their friends" straight up breaks the matchmaking even further. What the actual buck?!

You have a simple and logical solution for this problem that people have been complaining for a long time, and your "excuse" for not doing it is "they will be sad because they won't be able to play with their friends in ranked, have ez wins, and make the game miserable for everyone else involved in their matches".

I can't. I just can't....

"In the end, we decided it's just not fun to not be able to play with your friends."

Brings back duo q, leaves out 5 man that was removed on trial only with no official post season poll as promised.

The crowd want to play with more friends...

"You can, if you queue up for an AT!"

What?

By Anets own word, people mostly solo q.

Here they are catering to the top 0.1% for duos of a caliber that actually ruin games for even greens and yet refuse to bring back teams that another extreme minority.

Swiss are so SOON away that you may as well bring it back.

Maybe the top 2 or 3 can find more friends too.

Top players could actually be challenged if some solid plat 2 plus formed a real team.

You see, there would be no people dropping out of that 5 man to create a favorable situation for anyone.

When you are talking about getting better at the game Ben, it doesn't make sense to make sure no one gets challenged by a organized 5 man.

You approve of getting better at the game.

The top players want to keep duo for friends, but are against teams cause ATs can satisfy that friends need?

Well, ATs can satisfy all friends needs.

Challenges make people better.

How does Anet know that high level players aren't coordinating when they're in queue duo so they always win? The big hole in this system is with so few players it basically allows match manipulation and discourages people from playing with huge loss streaks. I don't have a good solution for you because splitting them could also encourage match manipulation between the two of them anyway, but i can say this is flat out broken and feels worse this season vs. Last. The game mode feels dead.

Also Can you look up the matches i've played since placing? Do you really intend people to lose that many matches in a row after being placed, with such huge differences in score? I'm sure skill difference had to be in place at least half of them: one of the matches i clearly remember distracting two of the players i was against for an extended amount of time yet my team mates were incapable of maintaining control over the rest of the map despite numbers advantage and later on i easily dealt with their guardian on more than one occasion. It's not like the whole team was actually good.

Edit: i might have a solution, but high rated players might hate it. Basically, take the average rating of the players in a match and buff them if they're below that rating (give lower CDs and/or higher damage) and if you're above the average rating you, you're essentially nerfed: lose a certain % of damage/healing and/or gain additional time on your cds. Basically mess with the numbers to put everyone on close to even footing, scaling the nerf or buff against the player's difference from the average. You can tune the numbers based on how close the matches are in general. They should be close more often than not with high rated players with win rates in the 50-60% range and low level players in the 40-50% range.

@Firebeard.1746 said:

1. How does Anet know that high level players aren't coordinating when they're in queue duo so they always win? The big hole in this system is with so few players it basically allows match manipulation and discourages people from playing with huge loss streaks. I don't have a good solution for you because splitting them could also encourage match manipulation between the two of them anyway, but i can say this is flat out broken and feels worse this season vs. Last. The game mode feels dead.
  2. Also Can you look up the matches i've played since placing? Do you really intend people to lose that many matches in a row after being placed, with such huge differences in score? I'm sure skill difference had to be in place at least half of them: one of the matches i clearly remember distracting two of the players i was against for an extended amount of time yet my team mates were incapable of maintaining control over the rest of the map despite numbers advantage and later on i easily dealt with their guardian on more than one occasion. It's not like the whole team was actually good.
  3. Edit: i might have a solution, but high rated players might hate it. Basically, take the average rating of the players in a match and buff them if they're below that rating (give lower CDs and/or higher damage) and if you're above the average rating you, you're essentially nerfed: lose a certain % of damage/healing and/or gain additional time on your cds. Basically mess with the numbers to put everyone on close to even footing, scaling the nerf or buff against the player's difference from the average. You can tune the numbers based on how close the matches are in general. They should be close more often than not with high rated players with win rates in the 50-60% range and low level players in the 40-50% range.
  1. Solo que made match manipulation significantly worse and it drove the population into the ground.
  2. Anet doesn't intend for people to win or lose. You don't deserve wins, you earn them. I have old vods from my twitch streams where I was 1v3/1v4 for the majority of the match and still lost. Matches like those are pretty lame but w/e. They get balanced out by the amount of wins I get.
  3. That is some extremely backwards logic. Skill gaps are a good thing. You don't reward players for being bad and punish players for improving. That's a great way to kill the gamemode and eliminate any incentive to practice.

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:Yep. That was definitely not a good match. Actually, probably the worst match I've ever personally looked up! Unfortunately, there is not much the matchmaker could have done in this case. 2 legendary players duo-queuing is near impossible to find another pair of legendary players playing at the same time.

I would bet the legendary players were in queue for close to 10 minutes at least. When a match is being built around you, the matchmaker looks for players within 25 rating of you. It doesn't start expanding the range until it's been looking for players for 5 minutes. After that, it expands slowly until it can find 10 players. To find the players it did for this match, it would likely have taken close to another 5 minutes.

We ran some experiments on the unranked matchmaker a while back, as some might recall. We tried several tweaks, but all it really did was make put some people in queue for 40+ minutes, with little discernible increase in match quality by the time they did finally make it in.

you know what this means right?

it means there are usually only 2 legendary players active in a region. the matchmaker can't even find other legendary players for them to fight.

so the issue is the population is so tiny, there are not enough active legendary and platinum players for 10 man games.

looks like the gamemode is dead tbh