Matchmaking algorithm too rigged,

Bast.7253

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:

@Sabatier.9634 said:Just my two cents why i think the matchmaking is useless:
I know the pic is a bit older but the reason why i post it is the fact that its a ranked game with two duos on one side while my team does not have even one duo.

Honestly the fact that it is 496 - 500 despite the fact they had two duos might actually mean it is working pretty well since it managed to balance out individual skill-rating with duo-skill-rating.

Yeah, i think your kind of right about that. Would be interesting to know how much the skillrating is raised trough a duo. Or maybe it is not?Also its quite strange that the matchmaking has to do something like this. Would have been better to divide the duos, right? Unless the Skill rating-difference of one or two players were just way to big. So the question should be why these players even had to play in that rating-"class".

The matchmaker used to work harder to spread out duo's. However, based on our data, skill rating is generally a better indicator of potential performance than whether someone queued up in a duo. So the matchmaker puts the greatest priority on making sure the average skill rating on each team is as even as possible. It also tries a bit to make sure the standard deviation of skill rating of each team is pretty close. In addition to these, the matchmaker will also do it's best not to put any more than +1 of a class on a team. Though, players can work around that themselves with character swapping. Something we've decided to leave in, based on community vote and because we think it's ok if players/teams who are skilled or knowledgeable enough to recognize bad compositions can resolve that themselves.

I've said it many times and I'm sure people still won't believe it, but the match maker has no idea if you have won or lost your previous match. All it knows is your current skill rating, your class, and whether you're in a duo queue or not.

Hey man, dont listen to these butt hurt kids who think the game is rigged. they just have no clue how to systematically carry a team. i understand it but theres a level of excecution that i just havent been able to accomplish myself. But i see it. i understand it. and im also way too stuborn to play a class i could do it on XD. but seriously though. the game isnt rigged. i place consistenly, i see a terrible matchup 1 in 5 matches where im like "seriously Anet?" but dude.....it 1 in FIVE! and you guys have done great bringing a level of diversity to gameplay and keeping a decent balance. no its not great... but its decent. im way too drunk to go off and tell mf how it really is so ill just say this. MAKE MOMENTUM. if you cant, .........pick a class that can........if you dont want to, then stfu and be happy losing because you chose to pick one that cant carry.

although honestly most of them have at least one build that can carry a team when played properly.

peace

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The matchmaker used to work harder to spread out duo's. However, based on our data, skill rating is generally a better indicator of potential performance than whether someone queued up in a duo. So the matchmaker puts the greatest priority on making sure the average skill rating on each team is as even as possible. It also tries a bit to make sure the standard deviation of skill rating of each team is pretty close. In addition to these, the matchmaker will also do it's best not to put any more than +1 of a class on a team. Though, players can work around that themselves with character swapping. Something we've decided to leave in, based on community vote and because we think it's ok if players/teams who are skilled or knowledgeable enough to recognize bad compositions can resolve that themselves.

I've said it many times and I'm sure people still won't believe it, but the match maker has no idea if you have won or lost your previous match. All it knows is your current skill rating, your class, and whether you're in a duo queue or not.

Thanks for not just doing a table flip and ignoring us - you've had to tell us this exact same information several times already, but many of us just don't seem to be hearing it.

I think anyone who's played consistently at plat 1-2 understands that when it comes to duo partners, the pool of people who can actually help you steadily increase (or even just maintain) your mmr just by duo-ing is quite small. In other words, how a match turns out has more to do with all the other factors (team comp, current metagame, teammate skill, your own skill, etc) than it does with whether or not you have a duo.

I know the pic is a bit older but the reason why i post it is the fact that its a ranked game with two duos on one side while my team does not have even one duo.

Honestly the fact that it is 496 - 500 despite the fact they had two duos might actually mean it is working pretty well since it managed to balance out individual skill-rating with duo-skill-rating.

Yeah, i think your kind of right about that. Would be interesting to know how much the skillrating is raised trough a duo. Or maybe it is not?Also its quite strange that the matchmaking has to do something like this. Would have been better to divide the duos, right? Unless the Skill rating-difference of one or two players were just way to big. So the question should be why these players even had to play in that rating-"class".

Thx for the Information, the mechanic sounds reasonable as long as the data does not say anything else about the advantages trough duos. I also like the fact that this should make people able to play duo with more fun, even if their skill is quite different.

Thanks for the information and reiterating what has been said almost countless times by now. I'm glad you left in the ability to change class for exactly the reason you stated, at the higher skill ratings you should be thinking about team comp and not what your team can do for you but ask what you can do for your team.

I feel the matchmaker is being unfairly blamed for more than is reasonable, it's not perfect but it's doing the best it reasonably can under the circumstances.