Sword 4 needs a nerf so the rest of the class can stop being nerfed around it

Doctor.1384

This may just be my opinion but I dont like having all my damage coming from 2 skills, namely sword 4 and 5. Id rather off sword be nerfed than continue to have needlessly elaborate downgrades to a bunch of other parts of the power rev build like we got in the last balance update. Sword 4s damage should be put behind a block and made into a counter like it is with every other sword offhand for every other profession. This is just lazy design to try and prop power revs up into the meta by giving them east access to easy burst damage instead of taking the time to properly tweak the class so it stays viable. Id rather the entire class be rolled back to where it was prior to equilibrium removal and left there permanantly just so it remains stable and isnt messed up with anymore arbitrary damage buffs followed by a bunch of assorted nerfs that make the class sad and unrecognizable.

I would rather have offhand sword nerfs than to have the rest of the class butchered as well, but I think sword 4 is fine. The cast time offers enough counterplay, but with quickness I suppose it does make it harder to counterplay (but this is not exclusive to Rev by any means, so I don't think the argument holds much ground). If they tune down the damage any more, I'd say they would need to increase its utility, like increasing the immob duration or reducing the cast time nack down a bit so it feels more fluid to use without quickness. Sword 5 to me is a bigger issue to me.

Sword offhand and power meta are the only things keeping this class alive. Wanna see how do you wanna focus one target in teamfight with sw2 and sw3 :-). And our only instant teleport on sw5. Low energy cost too. Why invest to other offhands if you give 20 energy for beign killed by warrior with 12 sec of unblockable(hello shield 5). Sure nerf it but I dont bellieve there will be any buff elsewhere to compensate.

Well, for me OH Sword is a lazy design that should be scrapped - it's a copy-paste of OH Axe but on steroids.It's the laziest DPS filler I can think of tbh.

You've got the point and I agree with it completely. OH Sword should be nerfed, so rest of Revenant doesn't have to get nerfed.

For the record, "the rest of the class" was nerfed before sw4/5 got reworked--not in an attempt to compensate for their strength... In fact, ohsw's rework was to compensate for the extreme damage gutting of skills like sw2/sotm/io/equilibrium, and to help catch rev back up to the pof powercreep, not the other way around.

@"narcx.3570" said:For the record, "the rest of the class" was nerfed before sw4/5 got reworked--not in an attempt to compensate for their strength... In fact, ohsw's rework was to compensate for the extreme damage gutting of skills like sw2/sotm/io/equilibrium, and to help catch rev back up to the pof powercreep, not the other way around.

^this. Also can't believe we're talking about nerfing OH sword when so many other classes are allowed to have extreme burst + stealth/survivability etc.

Many of us including top players have stated for a long time that Sword 4 should be reverted to what it was: A 2s block, followed by a much weaker version of what it is now. They could even revert some of the previous nerfs after doing this and the class would likely be fine.

The current weapon set doesn't even make sense. Axe = DPS, Sword offhand = DPS, Shield = Pure defense. Sword offhand used to be a good mix of DPS and Defense with the only reason that it wasn't often used being because the old sword 5 was a trashcan skill that frequently would bug you into walls or randomly fail to do anything and just in general was awful. Sword only really needed the rework to affect sword 5 in the first place.

The fact is until this happens people will continue to get oneshot by sword 4 and thus will continue to complain about rev. Honestly anet could make "Reverted sword 4 to pre-rework" the one and only balance change to rev in whatever the next patch is and it would be good enough.

@LucianDK.8615 said:Rev seriously lacks burst, its one of the reasons why its considered such a patetic pve class.

This thread is obviously about PvP balance, where sword 4 is overtuned and can oneshot certain classes at max might stacks.

The only thing that is needed to fix PvE balance is damage based skill splits until every class has relatively similar DPS. It's so straightforward that it doesn't even deserve mention. They could legit keep sword offhand a thing in PvE by simply overbuffing sword 5 damage against monsters by 200% or whatever is needed to create a viable raid rotation.

Still dont get the RevHate.I would say rev is one of the best classes you wanna play against. Shadow steps have casttimes and can be interupted(except Sw5 but dmg deals the second hit you can avoid easy). Almost every spell have casttime. No instafest like guard, mesmer, thief. and Sw4 with 25might deals lower dps then Gravedigger with same casttime :) but with gravedigger you can hit 5 targets and everybody get same hit, Sw4 = more targets lower dps. No need to nerf.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if you play a pvp match with a mes, which almost every game right now has 2 your entire gameplay has to be altered to only plus 1s and if theres a mid fight you have to really be careful with what you do, condis DO NOT need a buff they already have a condition in the game for EVERYTHING you can do in the game, you wana auto attack? Confusion, you want to move? Imob , stun, torment, or even fear, but WAIT THERE IS MORE!!!!!!!!!!! lets also make it so you cant attack while putting burning, poison and bleeding on you as well and then as soon as you clear them put them right back on lol conditions are fine where they are at, they are very strong and i would say unless your playing a ranger or spell breaker or guard your power class can be relatively useless " this is not me saying other power builds cant win its more saying that you really have to know what your doing" all in all i think the game just overall needs a 100 percent tone down for dmg, but then we will enter the bunker meta which isnt that fun either so its pick and choose, have a lovely day :)

We can make Sword 4 into a legend stance.

Just think bout it.

Legendary Shackling Wave Stance.

Channel the might of Legendary Sword 4, Shackling Wave.

Heal : I don't need heal, I'm not a pussyUtility 1 : Breaks stun and cast Shackling Wave in the direction of the person who inflicted the CCUtility 2 : Shackling Wave in a 400 AoEUtility 3 : Shadowstep to the target and cast Shackling WaveElite : Upkeep skill to cast Shackling Wave every auto attack

@Knighthonor.4061 said:Honestly just nerf this skill into the ground and get it over with. Iam ready to move on to other things. Too much complaining about this skill. Just do it.

This is a pre-patch thread and shouldn’t be taken seriously for the current balance. The huge amount of Rev nerfs in the recent balance, including a nerf to sword 4, have brought it in line. Practically no one is complaining about this skill now post balance patch.

Haven't been using Off-hand in a while so I can definitely tell you that aside perma stealth thief or builds that constantly disengage and hide behind aegis/blind spam.

Off-hand is actually trash and only makes you viable as a +1 profession, everything else is just disengage over and over. If they nerf sword 4 again instead of just restoring the old one and make it work like guardian focus 5, they need to buff 5 more significantly since the nerf of Incensed Response and Roiling Mists, the difference in between PvP and WvW is stupid.