Learning New Class: Holosmith or Revenant?

I'm switching from weaver to Holosmith because I feel that weaver isn't strong enough. I'm sure if I played a Holo or Revenant I would finally be able to hit plat.

So for those of you who play both and have gotten out of gold: which would you recommend?

(Also I noticed there's 4 legitimate holosmith builds on metabattle so if you could clarify which type of Holosmith you recommend that would be appreciated)

Both honestly , you'll be facing both on a constant basis so to not even master but just understand the meta skills and rotations and know the weaknesses

For playing prob holo first but then duel and practice +1 on rev too, they're both fun though despite them being really top classes the mechanics are fun and would say rev is harder with energy management.

Just keep in mind rev is basically food for condi matchups, so this is where something would be good where you know multiple classes and can alternate , if you know they are running a condi, they most likely will try to match you up against them because they know rev's weakness and you can swap accordingly or try to deal with it up to you.

Holo is ez mode compared to Rev. Also if your team mates suck you'll be hard farmed as Rev since you lack sustain and disengage potential. Revs and thieves are only carry boosts for your team, so if your team is already good and enables you to play the intended playstyle of a ganker you'll tip the scale by wisely rotating and ending fights fast on basically the entire map. If your team can't even sustain in a teamfight for more than a few seconds without full wipe there's basically nothing you can do really. Especially since every match is filled with scourges, fire weaver, burn guards or condi mirages and Rev sucks hard into conditions. So you also have to very carefully pick your fights and only engage to gank already low hp or out-of-kit players.

Holo on the other hand can also carry the teamfight by revealing, AoE stuns spam and AoE heal. Also Holo has defensives available while also hard pressuring the enemy with damage, whereas Rev has to either active block/evade OR deal damage, which in either way gives your enemy time and openings to engage in their favor. You could even play Holo as sidenoder since you can even sustain and outplay typical duelists like spellbreaker or soulbeast.

Rev just has the image of being op and broken since it CAN deal massive bursts with a lot of long and clever skill chains, but it is really not that easy. The skills itself deal relatively normal damage, it's only when you also have Enchanted Daggers and Impossible Odds active for that additional life siphoning and double hit buff. It's also crucial to maintain a high might stack count and quickness. When you think about what Rev has to maintain and activate to get a number of damage multipliers, you realize how weak Rev actually is when the enemy for example rips/corrupts boons or can interrupt/slow/kite damage multipliers like via Phase Traversal or Impossible Odds. Both heal skills are also extremely easy to outplay so you either have to predict bursts extremely well or almost completely be able to rely on evades (which exhausts everything in your kit so if you can't disengage quickly and recover for a couple moments you're done).But since Rev's damage is on steroids when played properly but lacks good sustain, Rev could also be support carried by firebrand just like Scourge.(Don't get me wrong, Rev can escape a lot of situations and has a number of skills that keeps him alive but you have to carefully chain them together otherwise you'll be stuck at a cooldown and die - also you have to either pressure hard or disengage, there's not a whole lot of sustaining fights as your standard glint/shiro Rev).

So I'd suggest Holo (Elixir Rifle build btw) or maybe even Spellbreaker (Strength Dagger or Tetherbreaker) since they have both high carry potential without the lack of sustain Rev has.To climb out of gold specifically you could also try dragonhunter I guess.. maybe it's not as viable on p3+ but can also carry extremely hard up until like p1 or something. Mirage is also an extremely easy option tbh.

PS: Why do you think weaver isn't good btw? Sword/Focus Fire weaver is extremely strong atm and you can even camp nodes with it and sustain a lot of 1v1 and maybe even 1v2s. This is actually even true for higher plat.

@DoomNexus.5324 said:Holo is ez mode compared to Rev. Also if your team mates suck you'll be hard farmed as Rev since you lack sustain and disengage potential. Revs and thieves are only carry boosts for your team, so if your team is already good and enables you to play the intended playstyle of a ganker you'll tip the scale by wisely rotating and ending fights fast on basically the entire map. If your team can't even sustain in a teamfight for more than a few seconds without full wipe there's basically nothing you can do really. Especially since every match is filled with scourges, fire weaver, burn guards or condi mirages and Rev sucks hard into conditions. So you also have to very carefully pick your fights and only engage to gank already low hp or out-of-kit players.

Holo on the other hand can also carry the teamfight by revealing, AoE stuns spam and AoE heal. Also Holo has defensives available while also hard pressuring the enemy with damage, whereas Rev has to either active block/evade OR deal damage, which in either way gives your enemy time and openings to engage in their favor. You could even play Holo as sidenoder since you can even sustain and outplay typical duelists like spellbreaker or soulbeast.

Rev just has the image of being op and broken since it CAN deal massive bursts with a lot of long and clever skill chains, but it is really not that easy. The skills itself deal relatively normal damage, it's only when you also have Enchanted Daggers and Impossible Odds active for that additional life siphoning and double hit buff. It's also crucial to maintain a high might stack count and quickness. When you think about what Rev has to maintain and activate to get a number of damage multipliers, you realize how weak Rev actually is when the enemy for example rips/corrupts boons or can interrupt/slow/kite damage multipliers like via Phase Traversal or Impossible Odds. Both heal skills are also extremely easy to outplay so you either have to predict bursts extremely well or almost completely be able to rely on evades (which exhausts everything in your kit so if you can't disengage quickly and recover for a couple moments you're done).But since Rev's damage is on steroids when played properly but lacks good sustain, Rev could also be support carried by firebrand just like Scourge.(Don't get me wrong, Rev can escape a lot of situations and has a number of skills that keeps him alive but you have to carefully chain them together otherwise you'll be stuck at a cooldown and die - also you have to either pressure hard or disengage, there's not a whole lot of sustaining fights as your standard glint/shiro Rev).

So I'd suggest Holo (Elixir Rifle build btw) or maybe even Spellbreaker (Strength Dagger or Tetherbreaker) since they have both high carry potential without the lack of sustain Rev has.To climb out of gold specifically you could also try dragonhunter I guess.. maybe it's not as viable on p3+ but can also carry extremely hard up until like p1 or something. Mirage is also an extremely easy option tbh.

PS: Why do you think weaver isn't good btw? Sword/Focus Fire weaver is extremely strong atm and you can even camp nodes with it and sustain a lot of 1v1 and maybe even 1v2s. This is actually even true for higher plat.

This was really helpful. I decided to play 25 games on both classes and couldn't agree with you more. Holo just felt superior in every way.

My main reason for dropping weaver is I felt that it wasn't strong enough in teamfights. It was an amazing dueler - like I could outduel pretty much any class (except necros.... not sure if my class is supposed to beat it) but my biggest issue was that my team was consistently getting wiped in teamfights and I wasn't able to offer any help.I adjusted my playstyle and played far/home to focus more on dueling rather than teamfights but many times that wasn't enough. I wasn't able to kill bunker classes fast enough and it felt like I was playing on handicap because I would have to do so many extra movements just to pick a good fight.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that weaver can be viable and am winning like 50% of my games with it - but it just feel like I'd win more games if I picked another class. I'm still not that good of a player so learning all these classes has been really helpful.