(Edited) I think it is time to end Duo q — Guild Wars 2 Forums

(Edited) I think it is time to end Duo q

Gundam Style.8495Gundam Style.8495 Member ✭✭
edited June 26, 2019 in PVP

Put it in with this upcoming patch. If you do not do anything else, make this happen.

Comments

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭

instead we will see duo's receive double rating gain and loss.

duo's and match manipulation wouldn't be such a problem if it wasn't so impossible to climb tiers. this +2 -20 kitten has to go, but ofc at the same time maintaining the elite status of legendary.

you don't know till you know, ya know.

• Gamble.4580Gamble.4580 Member ✭✭✭

I would say if it was brought back I would say 1700 would be a better stop point as t2 plat is hell.

• @Multicolorhipster.9751 said:
    It should just be removed altogether. The same people abusing it will just make the case that it isn't fair to lock it behind a rating cap, and eventually we'd just be right back to where we are now.

The best thing that could be done for it immediately is restricting how far apart two rating's can Queue together. That way a Plat3 or Legend couldn't queue with a silver smurf for easy wins.

But even then, any sort of merged queue could still facilitate match manipulation by process of elimination. DuoQ needs to get gone.

Yes, this makes sense. It is time that every player is for themselves until they release some new tournaments formats.

• Gundam Style.8495Gundam Style.8495 Member ✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019

@NotoriousNaru.1705 said:
    yea no if u want to q solo do your thing let those that want to play with friends or coordinate as a duo to win do their thing. anet already tried it. it was terrible there was 0 structure no1 enjoyed the matches every game was a clown fiesta and they reverted it back. and for what lol? so those bitter about duos can stop crying? no thanks

Yeah, because everyone is totally enjoying it now. Looking back at the earlier seasons we can see there are no players with 90% win rates, nor players of legendary rank in games with golds. What kind of kitten is causing this? Low population? It can't be that it is worsened when mysterious players dc at inconvenient moments, or PvP deities duo with "low rank friends" for "fun".

• @witcher.3197 said:
    Only if they also remove solo

You may as well not even have a ranked Arena at that point.

Remove Ranked DuoQ pls&ty

• shadowpass.4236shadowpass.4236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2019

@Gundam Style.8495 said:
    Yeah, because everyone is totally enjoying it now. Looking back at the earlier seasons we can see there are no players with 90% win rates, nor players of legendary rank in games with golds. What kind of kitten is causing this? Low population? It can't be that it is worsened when mysterious players dc at inconvenient moments, or PvP deities duo with "low rank friends" for "fun".

A lot of people I knew came back to the game once duo que was brought back. It's also way better for twitch streams when the streamer is having fun and talking to a friend. Solo que just pisses everyone off 24/7 cause we can go above and beyond, winning several 1vXs on a neutral node over the course of the match but still lose because the only person we can count on is ourselves and 95% of our pugs are incompetent.

Solo-que-only made match manipulation WAY worse and drove the PvP population into the ground. And this is coming from someone who prefers to/primarily solo ques at high ratings.

Low population =/= high win rates. Skill = high win rates.

Watch some of Naru's or Helio's streams (or any other top player) and you can clearly see them carrying matches.

• @shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

A lot of people I knew came back to the game once duo que was brought back. It's also way better for twitch streams when the streamer is having fun and talking to a friend. Solo que just pisses everyone off 24/7 cause we can go above and beyond, winning several 1vXs over the course of the match but still lose because the only person we can count on is ourselves and 95% of our pugs are incompetent.

Solo-que-only made match manipulation WAY worse and drove the PvP population into the ground. And this is coming from someone who prefers to/primarily solo ques at high ratings.

Watch some of Naru's or Helio's streams (or any other top player) and you can clearly see them carrying matches.

Yeah, I see people just sit in spawn. They gave up immediately. Wait...wait
    While walking down Memory Lane I realized this kind of stuff is a myth and has never been confirmed. My bad, we are here for friends.

• @Trevor Boyer.6524 said:

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@witcher.3197 said:
    Only if they also remove solo

You may as well not even have a ranked Arena at that point.

^ I hate to say It, but this might actually be the way to go.

Remove Ranked, shuffle all associated seasonal rewards into Unranked, let ATs handle the competitive scene.

1. People only go out of their way to cheat for titles & status. No one is going to seriously waste time cheating for a pip farm if there were no rankings & titles attaches.
    2. If ATs were the sole remaining competitive mode, it would get a lot more activity. This would encourage guilds to form around spvp again, at least more of them.
    3. It condenses population into one mode again, save every 5 hours when AT pops.

Maybe a system could be implemented to display badges based on AT performance.

It couldn't actually get any lower than that. At that point, Gw2 PvP would be objectively dead.

ATs are too inclusive and too infrequent to serve as the only competitive option.

Pips in unranked sounds cool, and that's something i'd be all for, but without ranked to offer something different/more competitive it's just another grind, farm, whathaveyou.

edited June 26, 2019

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

A lot of people I knew came back to the game once duo que was brought back. It's also way better for twitch streams when the streamer is having fun and talking to a friend. Solo que just pisses everyone off 24/7 cause we can go above and beyond, winning several 1vXs over the course of the match but still lose because the only person we can count on is ourselves and 95% of our pugs are incompetent.

While walking down Memory Lane I realized this kind of stuff is a myth and has never been confirmed. My bad, we are here for friends.

I don't understand what point this post is meant to get across.

You see people sitting in spawn that gave up. Then link news from over a year ago and say we're here for friends?

Wut... please elaborate or be more clear.

• @shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

You see people sitting in spawn that gave up. Then link news from over a year ago and say we're here for friends?

Yes you do. You are a very intelligent person.

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

Well, if you're complaining about people AFKing in ranked, report them for match manipulation. People tilt and go afk all the time. It's annoying, but normal. It's completely different than top players out-skilling the enemy team and carrying the match.

If you're implying that every time someone goes AFK it's because a top player is match manipulating, that's pretty silly. Burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. In other words, they're innocent until proven guilty.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@Gundam Style.8495 said:

Well, if you're complaining about people AFKing in ranked, report them for match manipulation. People tilt and go afk all the time. It's annoying, but normal. It's completely different than top players out-skilling the enemy team and carrying the match.

If you're implying that every time someone goes AFK it's because a top player is match manipulating, that's pretty silly. Burden of proof falls on the person making the claim. In other words, they're innocent until proven guilty.

then when proven guilty the thread and video is removed

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Please allow team queue with rewards again at our own discretion.
    06210311 251521 121512

• @NotoriousNaru.1705 said:
    Lmao its like you don't even read but just reply for the sake of replying. I JUST SAID don't look at ranked from your own experiences but as a whole, instead you're using me specifically and how I choose to play as a model for everyone else?

Actually, I wasn't using you as anything more than an example of an excuse that has been regurgitated a thousand times by the top 1%. The top 1% is the top 1%. You may be in that percentage, but until there's only exactly 100 people playing ranked, that is not talking about you specifically. "It's not always about you" hehe xd.

All that being said, i'm definitely looking at it to what I consider to be holistically. I wouldn't go on twitch and watch a bunch of lizard men wearing human disguises stream themselves doing the exact thing I described just to prove a point if I wasn't.

@NotoriousNaru.1705 said:
    Solo and duo should be in the same pool, if you dont like it then grab a duo partner and play to win you always have that option but just know those who win as duos will still win as solos, its just not fun because match quality is lower and anytime match quality sucks no one is happy. So who are you to tell all those players who enjoy duo they cant or shouldnt because you choose to only solo?As for team q I can't even take your comments seriously.
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/494041688327847936/593578097677434889/unknown.png

None of those matches are us stat padding in unranked or daily ats. We ONLY q as a team during monthly tournaments. You have to be a mad man to think 5 q in this game would work. There just isnt a playerbase for it.

Now I know I can't speak for myself, so i'll try to speak more interpersonally than intrapersonally. Match quality is far worse with DuoQs than it was with SoloQs. At least in SoloQs top players had the potential to be split evenly among teams. With such a low population guaranteeing two to the same team is very unlikely to be mirrored any semblance of fairly by the other team, which makes it pretty easy to set up 500-100 wipes.

Before you go saying i'm only speaking for myself, i'm just reiterating everything Ben said in the original reasons for removing DuoQ: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/12161/season-9-queue-changes/p1

I don't understand why you can't take the concept of 5 man seriously. It was a thing in the past for a while, and if it was split from SoloQ this time around then it would serve as an alternate fair way to play ranked with friends.

It really doesn't matter if the queue times are longer, or if Team USA is at the top of the LB every season(Not that DuoQ is any different in that respect). A lot of people would just appreciate matches that are closer, more fun, and more fair. To which, SoloQ and TeamQ provide objectively better as long as they're split from eachother. Quality over Quantity.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Or just email the video to Anet as instructed...

edited June 27, 2019

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Or just email the video to Anet as instructed...

so its easier to hide and delete?
    you can send anet a video of someone hacking season after season and nothing gets done about it... I dont know what a video of match manipulation will accomplish to be honest. its so lame in comparison.
    a friend of mine was caught hacking a few years back, video evidence and all sorts were posted (and deleted).. I still play with him weekly. He still hacks but only in PvE now.

To be honest ive recently hit a spot where ive stopped caring and im genuinely thinking of pulling this kitten myself on an alt because I know nothing will be done about it.
    not too mention I know half the people on the forums will blindly defend me because match manipulation only happens at top tiers or so the common belief is.
    Anet mods will ignore the videos and forum mods will delete the evidence, some forum users will belittle players for calling out match manipulation even though the evidence is clear as day... its literally a haven if you choose to indulge.

this is where my saltiness on the subject comes from... Trying to do the right thing surrounded by players who dont and are allowed to do so in an environment that protects such players.

06210311 251521 121512

@sephiroth.4217

Anet bans the accounts of players AFTER they investigate the matter and find evidence of them match manipulating.

Witch hunting players on the forums just because people "think" they're cheating is stupid. If the same players (especially high profile ones) that have gotten reported for match manipulating in the past are still playing on that specific account, it means they didn't do anything wrong.

Plus, there are plenty of examples when people have been caught. So, I don't get what the big fuss is about.

edited June 27, 2019

@shadowpass.4236 said:
    @sephiroth.4217

Anet bans the accounts of players AFTER they investigate the matter and find evidence of them match manipulating.

Witch hunting players on the forums just because people "think" they're cheating is stupid. If the same players (especially high profile ones) that have gotten reported for match manipulating in the past are still playing on that specific account, it means they didn't do anything wrong.

Plus, there are plenty of examples when people have been caught. So, I don't get what the big fuss is about.

you're right... just like my friend who has been using ESP hacks for years cant be proven otherwise.

Think I might get it for myself, no big fuss.

06210311 251521 121512

• Stand The Wall.6987Stand The Wall.6987 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

its funny that so many ppl equate duo's with match manipulation, I mean sure it happens, but I bet most of the time some one on the opposing side just gives up and afks. what would fix pvp the most is everyones attitude going from toxic to relaxed. there are problems, we should bring them up, but you don't gotta go all ballistic and cry bloody murder every minute of every day.

I blame rewards. everyone is on a constant dopamine high and our brain cells are turning to mush at an alarming rate.

you don't know till you know, ya know.

• Flandre.2870Flandre.2870 Member ✭✭✭

Sure,kill the populatione even more by not letting people play with friends.
    kitten.

• praqtos.9035praqtos.9035 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2019

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:
    its funny that so many ppl equate duo's with match manipulation, I mean sure it happens, but I bet most of the time some one on the opposing side just gives up and afks. what would fix pvp the most is everyones attitude going from toxic to relaxed. there are problems, we should bring them up, but you don't gotta go all ballistic and cry bloody murder every minute of every day.

Wintrading would be eradicated long ago if they permaban people who was caught but look at it now, absolutely dont care (NA top1 rofl)
    If you remember HoT expansion people were way less toxic, even when matches been like 500-100 people wrote GG in mapchat.
    What happened after PoF release? Legit worst balance gw2 ever had, matchmaking manipulation (they just dont care about it anymore), lack of any support of the game mode, bots(0 pips for losing and u have no bots anymore) . Most of people left and still leaving, I'm not surprised at all that people who is left are super mad about it.

I blame rewards. everyone is on a constant dopamine high and our brain cells are turning to mush at an alarming rate.

Anet and lack of care, not rewards

• @JTGuevara.9018 said:
    Consider me a "mad man" then for expecting a TEAM queue for a TEAM game. I'm with multicolorhipster, "The population is too low!" and "I just want to play with friends!" are convenient excuses. Apparently, friends greater than 2 don't even exist!

You are also dead wrong about duo queues. Duo queues, like all merged queues, mess up matches. We see this time and time again every...single...season. Strict solo or 5-person queues do not. The distorting factor(duo) is taken out of the equation. Another thing, 5-mans cut out the player shenanigans. It's stuff you can actually CONTROL.

To hammer out my point about the inferiority of merged queues, imagine you had 4-man queues instead of duo. That means that, most of the time, the 4-man + 1 team will WIPE the opposing solo team.

Yes, exactly! It's like, they say "We just want to play with friendsssssss."

"Well okay Mr. Top10Snakeman, how about good ol' TeamQ? For sake of fairness and playing with the max amount of friends and coordination?"

"But the population isssss too low!"

So the obvious solution is to party with the least amount of friends possible; both top 10, and roll across the majority of uncoordinated SoloQ players, a lot of which are golds with no way to opt out of it.

Yeah, on second thought; I can see how that'd bring in players new and old. That definitely doesn't make it the least bit self-perpetuating. Kappa.

• JTGuevara.9018JTGuevara.9018 Member ✭✭✭

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:

@JTGuevara.9018 said:
    Consider me a "mad man" then for expecting a TEAM queue for a TEAM game. I'm with multicolorhipster, "The population is too low!" and "I just want to play with friends!" are convenient excuses. Apparently, friends greater than 2 don't even exist!

You are also dead wrong about duo queues. Duo queues, like all merged queues, mess up matches. We see this time and time again every...single...season. Strict solo or 5-person queues do not. The distorting factor(duo) is taken out of the equation. Another thing, 5-mans cut out the player shenanigans. It's stuff you can actually CONTROL.

To hammer out my point about the inferiority of merged queues, imagine you had 4-man queues instead of duo. That means that, most of the time, the 4-man + 1 team will WIPE the opposing solo team.

Yes, exactly! It's like, they say "We just want to play with friendsssssss."

"Well okay Mr. Top10Snakeman, how about good ol' TeamQ? For sake of fairness and playing with the max amount of friends and coordination?"

"But the population isssss too low!"

So the obvious solution is to party with the least amount of friends possible; both top 10, and roll across the majority of uncoordinated SoloQ players, a lot of which are golds with no way to opt out of it.

Yeah, on second thought; I can see how that'd bring in players new and old. That definitely doesn't make it the least bit self-perpetuating. Kappa.

Yup! Meanwhile, nothing changes. I've been on these forums for seasons and years and I've heard the same dam talking points, since season 1. It's like people don't want to learn. Or more accurately, duos like the current state of affairs because they were/are successful at milking the system for all it's worth. People can use the population excuse all they want, but they can't avoid facts. Merged queues ruin matches and it's a terrible matchmaking system.

• Vieux P.1238Vieux P.1238 Member ✭✭✭✭

You all cried for Dual Q's. Now you all live & die with it...

Winter Nerf is coming!

• skillze.7689skillze.7689 Member ✭✭

Duo legendary players cue late at night, Hmm this match making seems to be taking a long time. "No other legendary player available gets put with gold players. Player says "This match making is off." well maybe the solution is how about you and youre friend don't duo and fight each other to really see whos the legendary player instead. whats the fun in killing gold players when you can have all the fun you want fighting each other and maybe go a step close to balancing matches fairly instead of stacking the odd's in youre favour ? Nothing legendary about stacking the odds to youre advantage.

• SPESHAL.9106SPESHAL.9106 Member ✭✭✭

There is ZERO logic for allowing duos to que with solos. They had it right from the start...a que for teams and a que for solo players. The current hybrid system is strictly a bandaid because they screwed up PvP and everyone left making que times too long for teams.

The current system is even worse though and defies logic. There's no way an algorithm can determine if a duo que has coms and synergistic builds, so the "weight" they give to duos has almost no chance of being accurate. Giving the wrong weight to XYZ duo will sink or swim a match more than anything else.

That being said, it's not even the biggest problem with the current system. The biggest problem is that they relax the algorithm based on wait times and, thus, it's super easy to game the system EVEN MORE with coordinated duos. Plus, they allow profession swapping so that's 2 people who can coordinate a change to give themselves even bigger advantages.

This isn't even debatable. Even Anet KNOWS who's going to win with almost 99% certainty when they match teams and that's why the reward is so low for winning. They know most matches are a waste of time before they even start. Granted...this happens with all solo players too, but duos amplify the problem and give them more ways to exploit.

It's just a corrupt system no matter how you look at it. Ironically, they made a good compromise by disallowing duos near the top of the leaderboard such that someone had to earn their spot solo at the top and guess what...we didn't see ANYBODY with 90% winrates. You still had some wintrading and ways to time ques to help, but it was much better representation of individual skill compared to what you have now which is a total sham.

• pukish.5784pukish.5784 Member ✭✭

Preparation is the key. Don't join ranked que without thinking.
    Battle is starting before you join the que. Find your partner, Know the good time zone to que.

• ZeroTheCat.2684ZeroTheCat.2684 Member ✭✭✭

@Gundam Style.8495 said:
    Put it in with this upcoming patch. If you do not do anything else, make this happen.

I agree 100%. The wintrading and exploiting needs to stop.

• BadMed.3846BadMed.3846 Member ✭✭✭

Remove duo queue altogether please. Enough of this mess. Fix what you broke Anet.

• Falan.1839Falan.1839 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2019

Generally I'd say that SoloQ makes for more balanced matches and high level Duos can distort the matchmaking a lot, because the only way to equalize the matches is to give them Gold Players, making for a bad experience for everyone (including the high lvl duo). However at this point the match quality is beyond kitten anyway, so it probably doesn't matter anymore if we have Solo or Duo Q. Might aswell reintroduce full premades and get this kind of leaderboard again, maybe people are happy then:

bild-857526-1561738119.jpg.html

Falásya / Caissech

"When you say it's gonna happen "now"
    When exactly do you mean?
    See I've already waited too long
    And all my hope is gone"
    The Smiths about Balance and PvP changes

• JTGuevara.9018JTGuevara.9018 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2019

@Falan.1839 said:
    Generally I'd say that SoloQ makes for more balanced matches and high level Duos can distort the matchmaking a lot, because the only way to equalize the matches is to give them Gold Players, making for a bad experience for everyone (including the high lvl duo). However at this point the match quality is beyond kitten anyway, so it probably doesn't matter anymore if we have Solo or Duo Q. Might aswell reintroduce full premades and get this kind of leaderboard again, maybe people are happy then:

bild-857526-1561738119.jpg.html

Nope. Premades change nothing. Duo is basically a premade of 2 instead of 5. Yeah, it's less of a threat than a full team, that's why I think people are duped into supporting it. ("It's not that bad!") --tsk tsk--

• JETWING.2759JETWING.2759 Member ✭✭✭

May be good to increase the pvp comunity and the quality of the pvp, allow 2, 3, 4 and 5 queue on ranked. The MMR just needs queue squads(2, 3, 4 or 5) against squads or send a message to the queued squads that didn't found any other squad to queue against(in this case, they need undo de squad).

• @JETWING.2759 said:
    May be good to increase the pvp comunity and the quality of the pvp, allow 2, 3, 4 and 5 queue on ranked. The MMR just needs queue squads(2, 3, 4 or 5) against squads or send a message to the queued squads that didn't found any other squad to queue against(in this case, they need undo de squad).

I think merged queues should just be removed altogether. If you increase how many people can queue together and match them against SoloQ players, you just amplify all the problems DuoQ creates by 3x, 4x, or 5x respectively.

5v5 split TeamQ on the other hand would solve just about every problem, including the age-old "I just want to play with friends" excuse that Arenanet itself buys into.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.