Game crashes at the end of Descent

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK..

So running this in Ubuntu on a patched Wine.

I get the game client crashing when I stab the heart. Tried most fixes here. The ulimit soft and hard limit are both set very high. Windowed Mode.

It's a shame this is the first time I've ever had this kind of experience playing GW2 after 6 years on Linux.

Looking through the crash report I get several interesting errors which i have sent to AN.

I think largely this appears to be a problem in my case with a janky texture cache or a broken bak file..I'll investigate further..I hope to have a better computer in a few months ( yay radeon ! )Surprised that they use the embedded bink player ?? Thought that was long dead.

• 1 year later...

Anyone ever figure this out? Cause, well, bump!

Linux mint 19.03, i7, Geforce GTX 750Ti -- nothing fancy

Tried much of the stuff here, next to no difference. Everything else in the game seems to work excellent.

I have a customize wine version I often run, it was off a tutorial on this forum, but I can also run in it playonlinux and lutris. Tried different wine versions, etc. Windowed, unwindowed.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I am amazed this problem is still not fixed. I've played this part of the story on windows 8 and 10. When I first played it years ago on a win 10 system, I had the same freeze and crash issue. I got in touch with support and literally spent over a week redoing this same stupid story section over and over to try to help them bug test and NEVER got anywhere. Ridiculous waste of time. Eventually, I ended up trying the story on an older win 8 system that I had played GW2 on for a few years before this, and it worked fine with no issues.

I am currently stuck redoing the story on another account, new system using Win 10, and I ran into this SAME exact issue. It STILL isn't fixed. That same cutscene still stalls out. Having run into the issue before, I just let the thing run stalled out in the background while I went and di other stuff online for a coupel minutes. After like 10 minutes, it eventually ran to the next cutscene clip (which also stalled for a couple minutes). I just left it running in the background and eventually it got through it all, but it really bothers me that this is still an issue.