1st time PvP questions

I visited the mists for the first time, spent time reading up on the whole PvP thing, but I still have a few questions...

As a weaver...

1) Why can't I use my ascended zojja's sword, while I can use my ascended Yassith's dagger?2) Despite saying that elite specializations would only be available to people who purchased HoT and PoF, my elite (weaver) specialization(s) aren't listed in the build panel, only the core ele are there. Is that what they mean by elite, just the generic and no actual elite specializations?3) From the select a build option on the biuld panel, I chose a few different builds and the game populated my gear with new items (generic weapons, some sigils and runes, etc). I wasn't paying attention to my gold balance. Did I just buy all of these items by accident? Am I out gold?4) Why would the PvP build panel pick generic weapons for me over my ascended ones? The ones it chose do about 840 points less damage than what I already have.

Thanks folks!

because PvE/PvP/WvW have separate builds and you need to have weaver slotted into to use a sword

those are just presets, you can just select whatever combination of traits/weapons/runes/etc you want

no, if it needs to unlock stuff to use it will ask you first

gear quality is irrelevant in PvP

@"Khisanth.2948" said:

1. gear quality is irrelevant in PvP

Hey thanks, a lot.with #1 - it's because PvP sees me as a core ele, who can't use the sword, right? I have to change to weaver. I think I got that one.Can you explain why gear quality is irrelevant, Or point me to a relevant wiki?

@Gorkus.7496 said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:
  1. gear quality is irrelevant in PvP

Hey thanks, a lot.with #1 - it's because PvP sees me as a core ele, who can't use the sword, right? I have to change to weaver. I think I got that one.Can you explain why gear quality is irrelevant, Or point me to a relevant wiki?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Structured_PvP#Gear_and_builds

The attributes, runes, and sigils from a character's PvE equipment are not used in structured PvP maps. Instead, equipment attributes are normalized, and players select a rune set, a sigil set, a PvP-specific amulet, and a set of specializations in the PvP Build panel. This build is maintained separately from the player's normal PvE or WvW build, and is automatically applied whenever a character enters the structured PvP lobby map. This mechanic allows players to be on an equal playing field with the same attributes, skills, and equipment options as other players. Players need to equip chest, legs and foot armor to achieve the base armor value, but hands, shoulders and head may be ignored.

Basically it removes gear advantage and you win through skill only.

Changing build, trying presets and such doesn't cost you anything. The only way to spend gold is to visit a vendor or unlock a selection of runes, but it will still prompt you before purchasing.

If you pick a preset build but do not have the appropriate gear, it will swap some around for you. But do not worry, gear quality doesn't matter here as all stats are decided by your amulet choice, this gear is simply to give you the weapon of choice for the build (none of these require unlocking by gold).

To use your sword simply equip weaver in the bottom row of your traitlines. Not sure if preset builds include HoT and PoF specs so this might have to be done manually (pick a preset, then change the bottom line to weaver).

Think of the sPvP build panel as an outfit ontop of your PvE gear, since it:

• Doesn't affect your PvE gear in any way
  • What you see here is what you get
  • Instantly overrides your PvE choices when you enter the PvP lobby

This means you can change around all you want without consequence, as you will return to PvE with your own "real" build anyways. The only thing you might have to do, is to re-equip your PvE weapons if you use others in sPvP.