How would people feel about temporary e-spec exclusions on a vote basis?

Cyninja.2954

Just a short idea which came to mind, thought I would see how people feel about this. Given the assumption that we might see 1 more elite specialization and how power creep has changed all game modes, how would people feel if:

• A vote is held on a weekly or monthly (or what ever time frame, could be per spvp season also) basis which let's players chose between Core, HoT, PoF, future expansions, etc.
  • which ever choice is picked, that expansions elite specialization is excluded (aka unavailable) until the next vote (with Core exluding all elite specializations and allowing only core builds)
  • no choice could be picked twice in a row, thus exluding elite specializations permanently being unavailable

The general idea is that the player base has some influence on which elite specialization are not allowed for a certain time periond potentially having influence on balance and matchups. Also it would semi encourage variation in builds and compositions since certain builds would become temporarily unavailable.

EDIT: I should add, this is for spvp only and potentially WvW. I don't believe the pve crowd, which is inherently against AI opponents, would enjoy this feature. Then again I could be wrong.

While I don't dislike the idea per se I see some major flaws. Banning HoT/PoF and especially Core also removes the players that don't have access to the others, especially f2p players would not be able to enter PvP at all. Given that thief for example only has a really viable core build would also exclude a portion of the players until the next vote, since not everyone is willing to learn a new playstyle for the sake of being able to participate and maybe derank in the meanwhile or something.Also banning 1 expansion bascially would actually result in an even more imbalance I'd guess because they aren't all equally as viable. Rev for example uses HoT elite and wouldn't be affected at all if PoF got banned, same for thief, while some other classes would probably struggle a bit, especially since the players would have to adapt to the new build and playstyle etc. It's an incentive to play different things yes, but forcing to isn't really the way.People would eventually adapt and stuff but given that everything changes with the next vote, I think a lot of ppl would just quit the game when they are simply forced out of the game mode with what they want to play atm.

Also, while not as good as meta, a lot of classes have overly powercrept alternatives without their respective meta-elite too. So I think at this point it's not the elite specs that imbalance things but an overdose of basically everything. Almost every class has soo much self boon uptime and sharing it's not even funny anymore, especially when they get corrupted. But also blocks, invuls, evades, CC, stun breaks, condi output, condi cleansing etc. It's the imbalance of those thing that make certain matchups not enjoyable. Especially since those thing are so unevenly distributed across the classes. While guardian for example has very good condi cleanse, even with core, it's more or less a death sentence for Rev if they get some conditions on them. Or while a thief only really has 1 or max 2 stun breaks on a relatively long cooldown, which they also (have to) use for mobility, weaver are basically not stunlock-able.Anet would need to tune EVERYTHING down across the board and do a great rebalancing. Because whatever they do, at this point everything is so broken that players will always find something that synergizes extremely well and that they can exploit.

I like the idea simply from the perspective that it could tone down the numbers and also make the game feel "fresh", which is a bit ironic in a way. I also think that having a "no-elites" for a short period might actually contribute to change in perspective of balance

On the other side, it might be unfair to people who do not own expacs if the core builds are voted out for a period

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Needs more diversity not less.

This idea is a total distraction from the real issue, which is general game balance.

Well one could argue that temporary exclusion of certain builds leads to other builds seeing play.

As to the game balance issue, with increasing elite specialiaztions that issue will grow by simple numerical logic.

But fair points, overall I was thinking mostly to shake things up and force other builds to see play.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Needs more diversity not less.

This idea is a total distraction from the real issue, which is general game balance.

Well one could argue that temporary exclusion of certain builds leads to other builds seeing play.

As to the game balance issue, with increasing elite specialiaztions that issue will grow by simple numerical logic.

But fair points, overall I was thinking mostly to shake things up and force other builds to see play.

The bolded is also a fair point.

Condi Mirage is the biggest example of this. It is the #1 culprit for pushing otherwise viable specs out of play completely, even when it isn't a top 3 meta. That specialization sets a gate of entry for viability that can't be worked around.