New Ranger elite specialization?

Evil.1580

@"anduriell.6280" said:shaman with scepter. Ranged AoE damage and buffs, uses totems like ones seen from grawl (destructible immobile objects) . Totems are immune to conditions and very hard to destroy. Totems can be retrieved for very reduced CD or if destroyed gets bigger CD. AoE from totems are very big (2000 units) and impact up to 10 allies\foes.

Totems apply strong damage reduction, strong ticking healing with condition cleanses, enemy debbufing, and allies buffing while scepter skills are focused in Ranged AoE damage.Pets and Shaman benefit from the totem AoE, gaining additional powerful effects when affected by those areas. A Shaman can be a melee bruiser or a ranged bomb depending on the totems he has activated.

it could work yes... But i'm afraid if totem are immobile they would fall in the "spirit trash hole" because GW2 is all about mobility... and Renegade spec from the revenant taught us that immobile area of effect or area of damage have only its place in Raids or some PvE events...

Yeah...definitely totem are not a good thing for this game they could maybe make the totem gravitate around the pet or the ranger , that could work i think.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Gabrya.6297 said:

@"anduriell.6280" said:shaman with scepter. Ranged AoE damage and buffs, uses totems like ones seen from grawl (destructible immobile objects) . Totems are immune to conditions and very hard to destroy. Totems can be retrieved for very reduced CD or if destroyed gets bigger CD. AoE from totems are very big (2000 units) and impact up to 10 allies\foes.

Totems apply strong damage reduction, strong ticking healing with condition cleanses, enemy debbufing, and allies buffing while scepter skills are focused in Ranged AoE damage.Pets and Shaman benefit from the totem AoE, gaining additional powerful effects when affected by those areas. A Shaman can be a melee bruiser or a ranged bomb depending on the totems he has activated.

it could work yes... But i'm afraid if totem are immobile they would fall in the "spirit trash hole" because GW2 is all about mobility... and Renegade spec from the revenant taught us that immobile area of effect or area of damage have only its place in Raids or some PvE events...

Yeah...definitely totem are not a good thing for this game they could maybe make the totem gravitate around the pet or the ranger , that could work i think.

A ventari tablet approach still appeals to me the most. You could make it that you either have the pet or the totem and swapping between them replaces petswap. You would only have one pet but you could reposition it faster, you could use it for AoEs and it could really broaden the pet usage spectrum if the totems inherit some aspects of the pet used. So Canine-Totems could have their signature knockdown but AoE or the Moa totems heal arround them etc.For the trait interactions:Increased movement on pet could be a baseline aspect IMO and would tone down soulbeast mobility. But that's off topic.Otherwise it could just increase travel time of the totem or increase its effect radius.

It would make rangers more versatile and kinda caster-isch with their pet spirit as casting tool and because ranger is the king of versatile roles I think this could really emphasize on that.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:

A ventari tablet approach still appeals to me the most. You could make it that you either have the pet or the totem and swapping between them replaces petswap. You would only have one pet but you could reposition it faster, you could use it for AoEs and it could really broaden the pet usage spectrum if the totems inherit some aspects of the pet used. So Canine-Totems could have their signature knockdown but AoE or the Moa totems heal arround them etc.For the trait interactions:Increased movement on pet could be a baseline aspect IMO and would tone down soulbeast mobility. But that's off topic.Otherwise it could just increase travel time of the totem or increase its effect radius.

It would make rangers more versatile and kinda caster-isch with their pet spirit as casting tool and because ranger is the king of versatile roles I think this could really emphasize on that.

i See yes but this mechanic would work for melee pets and not really for ranged one because you could not put a totem to melee if the pet is far from the enemy and if you swap your ranged pet would be in melee and your melee damage totem in range.

Plus if you use the pet swap as a new TP mechanic if the pet die you are dhuum (pun intended :^D).

Finally You can put only one Totem ? because how the Tp mechanic would work with severals ? The caster is for me the Druid but it can have another caster-ish spec but personnally i think ranger lack a Melee Spec. The Shaman totem would not work well with ranged pet again so it would still be melee oriented.

@Gabrya.6297 said:

i See yes but this mechanic would work for melee pets and not really for ranged one because you could not put a totem to melee if the pet is far from the enemy and if you swap your ranged pet would be in melee and your melee damage totem in range.

Plus if you use the pet swap as a new TP mechanic if the pet die you are dhuum (pun intended :^D).

Finally You can put only one Totem ? because how the Tp mechanic would work with severals ? The caster is for me the Druid but it can have another caster-ish spec but personnally i think ranger lack a Melee Spec. The Shaman totem would not work well with ranged pet again so it would still be melee oriented.

I think you misunderstood my proposal a bit: You have one pet, you can transform it into a tablet like totem. You can command its location, and cast skills with it to CC support and defend.

You could still command the totem to move at certain locations and the dead penalty is an old mechanic that should honestly be removed.

And the it does not matter if a pet is melee or ranged. The totem works the same way and if you want to get your pet out of danger, transform it and teleport it back and reform it.Additionally it will have different skills dependend on pet so it could immobilize targets as a spider or grant evasion to allies

Also i think with double scepter as a revenant mace style melee clobbering tool would be fun. Especially with good amounts of pulls and roots. Scepter hasn't been seen as a melee control weapon yet so I would look forward to this.

I can see this kinda idea as a casterish area defender. But it defends two areas at once. The one you are in and the one you send your totem.

The F1 could easily be a ground targeted command and F2 and F3 could be family and archetype based skills while the totems pulsative passive could also be dependend on archetype.

Utilities would be consecration probably for Big AoE effects while your weapons are scepter dualwield for close to Midrange AoE cleave and CC.

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:

I think you misunderstood my proposal a bit: You have one pet, you can transform it into a tablet like totem. You can command its location, and cast skills with it to CC support and defend.

You could still command the totem to move at certain locations and the dead penalty is an old mechanic that should honestly be removed.

And the it does not matter if a pet is melee or ranged. The totem works the same way and if you want to get your pet out of danger, transform it and teleport it back and reform it.Additionally it will have different skills dependend on pet so it could immobilize targets as a spider or grant evasion to allies

Also i think with double scepter as a revenant mace style melee clobbering tool would be fun. Especially with good amounts of pulls and roots. Scepter hasn't been seen as a melee control weapon yet so I would look forward to this.

I can see this kinda idea as a casterish area defender. But it defends two areas at once. The one you are in and the one you send your totem.

The F1 could easily be a ground targeted command and F2 and F3 could be family and archetype based skills while the totems pulsative passive could also be dependend on archetype.

Utilities would be consecration probably for Big AoE effects while your weapons are scepter dualwield for close to Midrange AoE cleave and CC.

Yup i misunderstood a bit ...hehe..

But anyway if you create a spec like this its the same as soulbeast you nearly discard the Pet mechanic to give you the totem...One or the other is not a good idea like the Soulbeast form or the pet out..

We shall stop trying to "transform" the pet in another thing. People play ranger and never take some time to build around its core mechanic, they shall really create an E-spec who use his core mechanics and give them more functionnality like Tempest attunement, Berserker rage attacks , Chrono F5 etc...

Just things that modify the pet but not make it a better version of the core one because thats what the dev want , E-spec are an alternative and not a Power-UP of the professions.

@Gabrya.6297 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:

But anyway if you create a spec like this its the same as soulbeast you nearly discard the Pet mechanic to give you the totem...One or the other is not a good idea like the Soulbeast form or the pet out..

We shall stop trying to "transform" the pet in another thing. People play ranger and never take some time to build around its core mechanic, they shall really create an E-spec who use his core mechanics and give them more functionnality like Tempest attunement, Berserker rage attacks , Chrono F5 etc...

Just things that modify the pet but not make it a better version of the core one because thats what the dev want , E-spec are an alternative and not a Power-UP of the professions.

Yeah sure that would be possible and totally reasonable but IMO they should improve the pet in the first place before improving on it with a spec.They need stat management, maybe a separate wardrobe, better F2 skills and better AI.Atm we kinda have to work arround that because ethe foundation is so bad that you can't build on it stably.

@Gabrya.6297 said:

@"InsaneQR.7412" said:

the problem with that is that ranger pets are already very customizable when compared to other classes so it's slightly more difficult to come up with espec mechanics that incorporate the pets

I'm still rooting for an hivemaster e-spec that would give you access to determined swarms (determined basically mean they are invicible) specifics to the spec. Those swarms could be sloted in the pet slot and would be "supportive" pets with little to no damage but basically impossible to kill and only subject to hard CC effects. Give these swarms a signet like F2 that improve passively one of the ranger's stat when it's not on CD, maybe a trait that allow the ranger to share the passive of this F2 skill and some skills/traits related to insects. Probably the easiest e-spec to create ever.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I'm still rooting for an hivemaster e-spec that would give you access to determined swarms (determined basically mean they are invicible) specifics to the spec. Those swarms could be sloted in the pet slot and would be "supportive" pets with little to no damage but basically impossible to kill and only subject to hard CC effects. Give these swarms a signet like F2 that improve passively one of the ranger's stat when it's not on CD, maybe a trait that allow the ranger to share the passive of this F2 skill and some skills/traits related to insects. Probably the easiest e-spec to create ever.

Hmmmm your swarm give only CC and negate all the damage pet does ? It better be a lot of CC then , and easy to land on enemy or even group of enemies..

I would go for the swarm but maybe some who does damages only / Some damages + CC / some damages + support .

Removing the damage would be a damage loss for the whole ranger class because the pet is a PART of our DAMAGE.

Plus the bonus stats gain from specific swarm is a bit redundant as the Soulbeast already have those mechanic when merged.

@Gabrya.6297 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I'm still rooting for an hivemaster e-spec that would give you access to
determined
swarms (determined basically mean they are invicible) specifics to the spec. Those swarms could be sloted in the pet slot and would be "supportive" pets with little to no damage but basically impossible to kill and only subject to hard CC effects. Give these swarms a
signet
like F2 that improve passively one of the ranger's stat when it's not on CD, maybe a trait that allow the ranger to share the passive of this F2 skill and some skills/traits related to insects. Probably the easiest e-spec to create ever.

Hmmmm your swarm give only CC and negate all the damage pet does ? It better be a lot of CC then , and easy to land on enemy or even group of enemies..

I would go for the swarm but maybe some who does damages only / Some damages + CC / some damages + support .

Removing the damage would be a damage loss for the whole ranger class because the pet is a PART of our DAMAGE.

Plus the bonus stats gain from specific swarm is a bit redundant as the Soulbeast already have those mechanic when merged.

Nope you didn't understood.

The swarm would only be affected by hard CC. What the swarm does is minimal damage (a lot like the mesmer's clones do) and their F2 skill would be a skill that have a passive effect that affect the ranger and an active effect that affect targets around the swarm. As an example:Mosquito swarm:

• skin: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charradis_Fly_Swarm (with a red hue)
  • F2: Ravenous signet: Passive: Gain 180 healing power. Active: The next attack of up to 5 allies around the swarm steal life, CD 25s.
  • Swarm basic skills: Sting: hit foe for 5-10 damage max and apply vulnerability (2s). Frenzy: The swarm gain fury (3s) and the next 3 attacks of the swarm poison (5s) it's foe, CD 30s.

The swarms in themself would be optionnal since you'll still have access to other pets, it would be up to you to choose whether you want an invincible pet that deal next to no damage but give you a passive increase of stat or not. Soulbeast won't have ever access to the swarms because it's specific to this spec.

NB.: signets and traits give stats do you feel they are redundant with soulbeast? No, here it's the same, it's just a different way to gain them.NB²: An e-spec don't need to powercreep a profession to be useful, here you trade off pet's damage for a pet that don't die. However, despite the loss of damage, the pet will continue to support you while the soulbeast's pet disappear and thus don't support you. It's a totally different path.

• 4 weeks later...

@Revolution.5409 said:Ranger needs a reworking of beastmastery so that it can work even without a pet.From my point of view, with a new expansion anet can give us a weapon that solves the problems of aoe, but as long as there is a pet we will never place inside the zergs.

To correct your sentences: They have to improve the pet to work without Beastmastery and not vice versa.The pet is incremental to the profession, the specialization line is optional to pick.

A bit like in D&D systems, most professions tends to be "caricatural" about what people first think of when they hear its name.Today (for me), the ranger is lacking its stealth.A Stalker ranger could be a good specialization, but I think it would be better to have a few stealth competences (but less efficient than for Thiefs).

@"Philcharr.7863" said:A bit like in D&D systems, most professions tends to be "caricatural" about what people first think of when they here its name.Today (for me), the ranger is lacking its stealth.A Stalker ranger could be a good specialization, but I think it would be better to have a few stealth compétences (but less efficient than for Thiefs).

Stalker won't offer anything new, while shaman can be aoe damage spellcaster. We have support/heal and we have a single target spec already.

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@"Philcharr.7863" said:A bit like in D&D systems, most professions tends to be "caricatural" about what people first think of when they here its name.Today (for me), the ranger is lacking its stealth.A Stalker ranger could be a good specialization, but I think it would be better to have a few stealth compétences (but less efficient than for Thiefs).

Stalker won't offer anything new, while shaman can be aoe damage spellcaster. We have support/heal and we have a single target spec already.

Also here voting for a warden like control spec.I want it more planty though and not elemental or beastly.

A mechanic that would totally re invent how a pet works is still a cool idea and having it as a casting tool would be great IMO.

First and foremost though the base mechanic needs to be improved to build on it properly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m very very skeptic about any future e spec for rangers. Both Druid and soul best are horrible in my opinion and they actually made me re roll class. Both don’t have connection to core like Druid why the hell is elite oriented only for raides very liner and very bad mechanics and bad visuals effects and also soul beast pet merge is just poor I don’t know

• 3 months later...