More Character Slots?

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:It is safe to assume that any player with 71 character slots filled and willing to pay for more is not keen on deleting characters. ;)Or having a life for that matter.Wake people this ain't Tron you can't live inside GW 2.Sorry Anet for waking up your fans and getting them out of the Matrix.Yes, yes, I have 9 Characters, so what's your point? :o

@Hybarf Tics.2048 said:

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:It is safe to assume that any player with 71 character slots filled and willing to pay for more is not keen on deleting characters. ;)Or having a life for that matter.Wake people this ain't Tron you can't live inside GW 2.Sorry Anet for waking up your fans and getting them out of the Matrix.Yes, yes, I have 9 Characters, so what's your point? :o

Some people (myself included) have depression or other things that make real life actually quite sucky, so it is nice to be able to have a good escape.

• 1 year later...

@ximiedehaai.3476 said:While i just started guild wars 2days ago I like it a lot so already went from f2p to buying pof, but i created different account to try all the classes, how do you guys get so many slots? Isn't gold/gems hard to come by to unlock this many?

You can buy them with real-money?Besides, such people probably play for a long time and getting gold in GW2 is not that hard.

@ximiedehaai.3476 said:While i just started guild wars 2days ago I like it a lot so already went from f2p to buying pof, but i created different account to try all the classes, how do you guys get so many slots? Isn't gold/gems hard to come by to unlock this many?

Well you can also buy gems with real money and for some people that will be easier to do than getting enough gold. But also a lot of us will have gradually added more over time. I've got 11 permanent characters and 14 character slots in total, but I've been playing for over 8 years. I spent the beta tests designing my first 4 characters and made them in the first week, then it was months before I added a 5th permanent character and only about a year ago I added the 11th.

I also only buy character slots when they're discounted, although I'm not sure how many other people do that.

@Emberfoot.6847 said:Hey, I was wondering if we have had any word from ANet on whether we will ever get a slot cap increase. I have been at cap since PoF launched, have mapped every single character, and want to do more. Thing is, my alt acct sucks because it doesn't have all the QoL purchases and skins unlocked. Any ideas if/when we will be able to? Thanks :)

Well I take my hat off to you ! You've done 100% Core Tyria maps 71 times?! Jeez i struggle like hell with map completion on just a mere few characters, as I find it such a lonesome, tedious chore, but hey-ho have to grind it out for GoE for them shiny Legendaries! But I don't think I've much patience left with completing another 303 Renowned Hearts, everything else is a walk-in-the-park, but those Hearts torture my soul.

I guess you could make another account, and do another 71 times? Again big gratz with your achievement.

• 3 months later...

At 62 slots, I am closing up with the same request. Will definitely not purchase the new expansion until account's capped (if I only knew before...)

In all honesty, what is the reason for a cap at all? Why is it at 69? Is 70, 100 or infinte, harder to program? Does it affect gem purchases, the game's economy, or players' freedom, negatively? I fail to get the point here...

/TF

Edited by TwinFrozr.6214

4 hours ago, TwinFrozr.6214 said:

At 62 slots, I am closing up with the same request. Will definitely not purchase the new expansion until account's capped (if I only knew before...)

In all honesty, what is the reason for a cap at all? Why is it at 69? Is 70, 100 or infinte, harder to program? Does it affect gem purchases, the game's economy, or players' freedom, negatively? I fail to get the point here...

/TF

Server Space, every character is a giant block of information and they have approximated that is the maximum information that the account would be running without errors.

Second IDK but 69 seems like enough slots per account, it is kinda overkill to have even over 20 slots.  

Third.

Nice

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Wow im amazed we can have that many on one server! WoW caps you at 50 across all servers. I can see why though, that really does take up a lot of server space. I would rather they allow us to make new characters across servers. I dont like being locked to one server for every account.

12 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

Server Space, every character is a giant block of information and they have approximated that is the maximum information that the account would be running without errors.

Second IDK but 69 seems like enough slots per account, it is kinda overkill to have even over 20 slots.  

Third.

Nice

Any sources to provide, or just qualified guesses that servers cannot handle >69 characters, of which only one can be used at a time anyway? If this is such a problem, why not terminate inactive accounts wasting space without any contribution at all?

I have paid $400-500 more for character slots alone than someone thinking 20 slots are overkill. That's enough for two good rack servers from the release year of this game. Besides, I can hardly believe 69 characters takes up more than half a gig (I mean, that's 1.25 million lines of 64-bit code per character - hardly believable) 

If 20 slots are enough for you, well, good for you. This thread is about the others.

6 hours ago, Zuldari.3940 said:

Wow im amazed we can have that many on one server! WoW caps you at 50 across all servers. I can see why though, that really does take up a lot of server space. I would rather they allow us to make new characters across servers. I dont like being locked to one server for every account.

GW2 is not WoW; GW2 is GW2. WoW can lean back on their monthly fee, whereas Gem Store is GW2's entire lifeline.

• 1 month later...

I have now hit the cap of 69 character slots. However, the Gem Store still gives the option to buy more slots. Is the cap perhaps increased after all? 

Edit: Never mind, could get a 70th slot and that was it (thought it was only prior to HoT)

Edited by TwinFrozr.6214