Any core ranger builds for wvw? What about one that buffs the pet?

Joshewwah.2956

I've been trying to toy around with some core ranger builds in wvw, and I'm trying to come up with one that gives 25 stacks of might to the pet, and with MM/BS/NM it can hit around 10k damage, so its a bit of a cheese build, since most people won't expect your pet to actually do that much damage. I even tested it in pvp on the class NPC dummies, and if an enemy was standing still or didnt mitigate teh damage somehow, literally the pet could kill them on its own (even if I didnt want to attack). However the build lacks condi cleanse and it sort of sucks because of that. Anyone know of any builds like this? Something where your pet does a lot of damage. I'm forced to use WS in WvW because I need the condi cleanse. But without NM, I lose 12 stacks of might on the pet (360 damage), 4% bonus damage and longer duration for might and quickness.

The build used is from this video at 3:52

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNQQNBHhF6kSFoVQs0NwiFgrFM8HUeu3DB/nG/wwvFRGEAnAz0CD-j1RBAB5dCAua/R53CHCAAeCA4pPgS1fMTJIpAiYoF-w

I don't play asura so I don't use the daze skill, but I do put another defensive skill in like a signet

This is my current core MM/NM/WS solo roaming build:http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRjEqQLLWyCOsAVLG2DqOG+9hYv9AIB8hvIS+SeWaA-jVSBQBL4QAQJ1fAwTA4QaCU4FAAP6Auiyv9t/gZUCOPIAYRBsqSVVVJFQVKjA-w

Sic Em is OP for SB and throwaway for Core (unless you're using BM Resounding Timbre, but even then...) , you don't get all the damage adds so you have to plan for longer fights (load up on protection). Your pet just doesn't hit often enough to rely on it. This is an old school LB kite/GS burst build. I often change MM traits on fly depending on what classes I'm seeing a lot of atm.Just wanted share as my build checks some of your boxes.

You're not hardcore, unless you play core. <3

@"RangerThings.9810" said:This is my current core MM/NM/WS solo roaming build:http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATRjEqQLLWyCOsAVLG2DqOG+9hYv9AIB8hvIS+SeWaA-jVSBQBL4QAQJ1fAwTA4QaCU4FAAP6Auiyv9t/gZUCOPIAYRBsqSVVVJFQVKjA-w

Sic Em is OP for SB and throwaway for Core (unless you're using BM Resounding Timbre, but even then...) , you don't get all the damage adds so you have to plan for longer fights (load up on protection). Your pet just doesn't hit often enough to rely on it. This is an old school LB kite/GS burst build. I often change MM traits on fly depending on what classes I'm seeing a lot of atm.Just wanted share as my build checks some of your boxes.

You're not hardcore, unless you play core. <3

Interesting build, seems like the standard LB/GS SB but without the SB. And you're running all berserkers too. Don't you want something more tankier?

Anyway, I've been running this cheesy build so far:http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNEQNBMhN6kSFoVQskFwlFgrFMMJUekXBZeHAP+E8BRtu5VoEJ-j1xHQBA4EAosHAw7U/Jc7P8PlffTfADVCOPIAwqKVVVlUAVpMC-w

It's still a WIP. I'm still undecided on the second pet and don't know if I should keep the taunt or switch it out for the lesser quickening zephyr. I really like the taunt since its some aoe CC, but I'm starting to think I'll need the extra condi cleanse since I don't have my heal available at the start of the battle.

I've always liked playing off meta builds, and I think this build has style points since its not your typical soulbeast build that just insta bursts people. This build was based of the one I saw in the video that I posted, but with some changes I had made along the way. It still cheesy, since it requires wasting 3 skills in order for max might stacks, but people underestimate the damage that the pet can do. I like running the Jaguar since it actually has a powerful f2 ability.

From the wiki:

Provides the Stalking effect to the pet, rather than stealth.Stalking provides 25% critical-hit chance and 375 ferocity (+25% critical damage) for your pet.Pet remains invisible even while inflicting damage.

I often find it humorous when my pet easily kills my opponents while roaming. Never underestimate a 25 stack might pet, with ~12 seconds of quickness, some superspeed and can attack while stealthed. I've never been on the receiving end of this, but I can imagine how my opponents may feel when they're taking 2k-3k damage hits that they can't see where its coming from. With perma swiftness and fury, the pet won't have a hard time attacking opponents and staying on them, even if they're moving.

Sometimes I wished I had the GS, but then I would give up either being lazy and killing some people from far away and pew pewing them, or the sw/wh which gives the pet a lot of its power.

If people want to try out a build where your pet alone can quickly kill an enemy*, even if you stood there and did nothing, this is the build for you. (Obviously if they healed or dodged or something they would be able to survive, but its to demonstrate that the pet has killing power, in addition to your own abilities)

Edit:Also why do you prefer Entangle over strength of the pack?

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

@RangerThings.9810 said:This is my current core MM/NM/WS solo roaming build:

Sic Em is OP for SB and throwaway for Core (unless you're using BM Resounding Timbre, but even then...) , you don't get all the damage adds so you have to plan for longer fights (load up on protection). Your pet just doesn't hit often enough to rely on it. This is an old school LB kite/GS burst build. I often change MM traits on fly depending on what classes I'm seeing a lot of atm.Just wanted share as my build checks
some
of your boxes.

You're not hardcore, unless you play core.
<3

Interesting build, seems like the standard LB/GS SB but without the SB. And you're running all berserkers too. Don't you want something more tankier?

Anyway, I've been running this cheesy build so far:

It's still a WIP. I'm still undecided on the second pet and don't know if I should keep the taunt or switch it out for the lesser quickening zephyr. I really like the taunt since its some aoe CC, but I'm starting to think I'll need the extra condi cleanse since I don't have my heal available at the start of the battle.

I've always liked playing off meta builds, and I think this build has style points since its not your typical soulbeast build that just insta bursts people. This build was based of the one I saw in the video that I posted, but with some changes I had made along the way. It still cheesy, since it requires wasting 3 skills in order for max might stacks, but people underestimate the damage that the pet can do. I like running the Jaguar since it actually has a powerful f2 ability.

From the wiki:

Provides the Stalking effect to the pet, rather than stealth.
Stalking provides 25% critical-hit chance and 375 ferocity (+25% critical damage) for your pet.
Pet remains invisible even while inflicting damage.

I often find it humorous when my pet easily kills my opponents while roaming. Never underestimate a 25 stack might pet, with ~12 seconds of quickness, some superspeed and can attack while stealthed. I've never been on the receiving end of this, but I can imagine how my opponents may feel when they're taking 2k-3k damage hits that they can't see where its coming from. With perma swiftness and fury, the pet won't have a hard time attacking opponents and staying on them, even if they're moving.

Sometimes I wished I had the GS, but then I would give up either being lazy and killing some people from far away and pew pewing them, or the sw/wh which gives the pet a lot of its power.

If people want to try out a build where your pet alone can quickly kill an enemy*, even if you stood there and did nothing, this is the build for you. (Obviously if they healed or dodged or something they would be able to survive, but its to demonstrate that the pet has killing power, in addition to your own abilities)

Edit:Also why do you prefer Entangle over strength of the pack?

In reference to the Jaguar.I have to admit, I didn't know the f2 was anything more than 'stealth'.

However, the Tiger leapsI also remember the newer pets hit moving targets much better.

Did you try the tiger with your build?

Smokescale, imo would be an obvious addition to the build.Good dmg, sticks to targets really well, has that daze partway through the rotationAlso, if the target isn't dead, and you want to reset or reposition, you have the sword and warhorn 5 for stealth.

Curious to your thoughts.

@RangerThings.9810 might be picking entangle over SoP for kiting purposes.Also 2 cleanses on survival skill

Interesting build, seems like the standard LB/GS SB but without the SB. And you're running all berserkers too. Don't you want something more tankier?Also why do you prefer Entangle over strength of the pack?

In my play style, Signet of Stone is tanky enough to withstand big bursts, otherwise Core struggles to create enough DPS even with Zerk. And since I'm not running BM the CD on SotP is 75 seconds. Way too long to wait for with my other quick rotations. I also often need the extra 2 condi clears.

I played a similar NM/BM/WS build for a while with Zerk. It had great sustain, good for 1vXing PvE players, but I prefer solo fights and w/o MM couldn't generate enough damage to kill many good solo roamers.

I'm still undecided on the second pet and don't know if I should keep the taunt or switch it out for the lesser quickening zephyr.I would pick Bristleback. It's go the biggest F2 burst available. If it lands with all that might, it's gonna do the job.I prefer Less Zephyr b/c it allows for more active offense. Work in Protect Me for a on demand taunt and overall great choice if going BM.

@"EnderzShadow.2506"

I used this sort of old website for pet dps: http://guildwarshub.com/ranger-pet-dps-comparison/#Ranger_Pet_DPS_by_Family

It doesn't consider the new PoF pets, so I don't know. I'm checking out this new spreadsheet to help decide with pet dps:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15CwjTX_ml0dekSsl6AmrY1JAZV1IQwRRrXBdUPPgPYc/edit#gid=1857759256

According to the old website, the Jaguar has slightly more dps than the Tiger, but the new spreadsheet says the opposite. But since they're both felines and have similar stats, the dps difference is negligible anyway. I think between most felines (and most pets for that matter), the important thing isn't their dps since its similar anyway, but the f2 ability. However, the lynx does have the highest dps against mobile targets, which is important considering everyone runs around alot in WvW. I'm still confused as to why there weren't any tests done with felines and quickness. Does quickness not work for them for their attacks, besides f2? I'll try and test out (with my eyes) and see if quickness works on felines or not. If they don't I might have to either reconsider the pet, or swap out quickening zephyr for signet of stone. Given how satisfied I am with the current pet's damage for the first 10 seconds of a fight, I'm willing to take the signet for more survivability.

I initially ran Tiger, but I guess this one bad experience against this rev who killed my Tiger as soon as I stealthed with longbow, traumatised me. As soon as the pet is killed, I lose most of my damage. The tiger's f2 is on a low cd, but it has such as high cast time, people will just run away from it. And if the pet is visible often, people may be smart enough to kill it. That's why I prefer the jaguar, since at least the stealth can keep it alive a bit. And it's f2 ability isn't something that can be easily dodged. I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket, having burst damage on f2, since it can be easily evaded or avoided by running (the pounce distance only helps a bit, but the obvious animation doesn't really help). At least the increase in crit damage and crit chance helps the Jaguar's attacks. So that's why I ran Jaguar, since if its stealthed for 6 seconds, I know it can survive at least 6 seconds before it gets killed.

Where does the smokescale have daze? I only see a knockdown in one of its abilities.

And regarding the second pet, I think you're right, the smokescale is a good contender.

I guess it depends on what the player wants:

• To run away if zergs or other people come: Maybe an owl for the chill, single target only but can be used as a decent secondary dps pet incase first dies. I tried the white moa for the aoe chill, but haven't found it that useful. And the moas lack dps too, so that doesn't help either.
  • Utility: The smokescale would be good. I've seen lots of ranger montages and the smokescale is really good at helping 1vXs. I think I might actually run smokescale.
  • More (sustained) damage: Another feline would be good here. Its possible to run 2 felines and have the second like a spare tire. But I'd rather be proactive and ensure somehow that my main feline won't die. But if the opponent wishes to focus him, then I can't stop him. I guess I could take that opportunity to run away. There's also the bristleback for the f2 burst along with quickness.

@"RangerThings.9810"Those choices make sense.

When you meant a "similar NM/BM/WS build", did you run LB/GS? Or did you do the 25 might stack, quickness, 40% damage boost sick em like my build? In my past duels, I've managed to fight and win even against other cheesy roaming builds. This tanky druid that liked to root me and who ran staff/LB with earth runes almost beat me, but he underestimated the damage of my pet, and in that one duel, my pet finished him off for 2-4k damage hits. This was also a prolonged battle too, so I'm sure that I didn't manage to do my full combo again like I did at the start. I also fought against this other mirage, and I would say that based on our builds, it would be a skill matchup. The battles were 50/50, depending on who screwed up and who had the initiative. If my pet could stick on him, and if I could also stick on him, then I would win as the damage pressure is too much. However if I panicked and found no opening and got swarmed by his clones and his condi, then I lost. But back then I didn't run rune of durability and I felt as though I should've ran at him with my sword and cleaved him and the clones, instead of trying to kite with longbow, since he'd just get in my face with blink anyway. And I also should've tabbed through and see which one was revealed, since even if he uses the skill to remove my targeting, I can just simply find the real one again.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:@"EnderzShadow.2506"

I used this sort of old website for pet dps: http://guildwarshub.com/ranger-pet-dps-comparison/#Ranger_Pet_DPS_by_Family

It doesn't consider the new PoF pets, so I don't know. I'm checking out this new spreadsheet to help decide with pet dps:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15CwjTX_ml0dekSsl6AmrY1JAZV1IQwRRrXBdUPPgPYc/edit#gid=1857759256

According to the old website, the Jaguar has slightly more dps than the Tiger, but the new spreadsheet says the opposite. But since they're both felines and have similar stats, the dps difference is negligible anyway. I think between most felines (and most pets for that matter), the important thing isn't their dps since its similar anyway, but the f2 ability. However, the lynx does have the highest dps against mobile targets, which is important considering everyone runs around alot in WvW. I'm still confused as to why there weren't any tests done with felines and quickness. Does quickness not work for them for their attacks, besides f2? I'll try and test out (with my eyes) and see if quickness works on felines or not. If they don't I might have to either reconsider the pet, or swap out quickening zephyr for signet of stone. Given how satisfied I am with the current pet's damage for the first 10 seconds of a fight, I'm willing to take the signet for more survivability.

I initially ran Tiger, but I guess this one bad experience against this rev who killed my Tiger as soon as I stealthed with longbow, traumatised me. As soon as the pet is killed, I lose most of my damage. The tiger's f2 is on a low cd, but it has such as high cast time, people will just run away from it. And if the pet is visible often, people may be smart enough to kill it. That's why I prefer the jaguar, since at least the stealth can keep it alive a bit. And it's f2 ability isn't something that can be easily dodged. I wouldn't want to put all my eggs in one basket, having burst damage on f2, since it can be easily evaded or avoided by running (the pounce distance only helps a bit, but the obvious animation doesn't really help). At least the increase in crit damage and crit chance helps the Jaguar's attacks. So that's why I ran Jaguar, since if its stealthed for 6 seconds, I know it can survive at least 6 seconds before it gets killed.

Where does the smokescale have daze? I only see a knockdown in one of its abilities.

And regarding the second pet, I think you're right, the smokescale is a good contender.

I guess it depends on what the player wants:

• To run away if zergs or other people come: Maybe an owl for the chill, single target only but can be used as a decent secondary dps pet incase first dies. I tried the white moa for the aoe chill, but haven't found it that useful. And the moas lack dps too, so that doesn't help either.
  • Utility: The smokescale would be good. I've seen lots of ranger montages and the smokescale is really good at helping 1vXs. I think I might actually run smokescale.
  • More (sustained) damage: Another feline would be good here. Its possible to run 2 felines and have the second like a spare tire. But I'd rather be proactive and ensure somehow that my main feline won't die. But if the opponent wishes to focus him, then I can't stop him. I guess I could take that opportunity to run away. There's also the bristleback for the f2 burst along with quickness.

@"RangerThings.9810"Those choices make sense.

When you meant a "similar NM/BM/WS build", did you run LB/GS? Or did you do the 25 might stack, quickness, 40% damage boost sick em like my build? In my past duels, I've managed to fight and win even against other cheesy roaming builds. This tanky druid that liked to root me and who ran staff/LB with earth runes almost beat me, but he underestimated the damage of my pet, and in that one duel, my pet finished him off for 2-4k damage hits. This was also a prolonged battle too, so I'm sure that I didn't manage to do my full combo again like I did at the start. I also fought against this other mirage, and I would say that based on our builds, it would be a skill matchup. The battles were 50/50, depending on who screwed up and who had the initiative. If my pet could stick on him, and if I could also stick on him, then I would win as the damage pressure is too much. However if I panicked and found no opening and got swarmed by his clones and his condi, then I lost. But back then I didn't run rune of durability and I felt as though I should've ran at him with my sword and cleaved him and the clones, instead of trying to kite with longbow, since he'd just get in my face with blink anyway. And I also should've tabbed through and see which one was revealed, since even if he uses the skill to remove my targeting, I can just simply find the real one again.

The smokescale---yeah I guess it was the knockdown I was thinking of.

The Alpine Wolf also has the f2 chill as well as the ability to cripple and knockdown.

I wouldn't take lynx. It's bleed dmg and you're power based and sort of a burst-Pet-Power DmgBesides, condis get cleared.

Maybe ANET fixed this, but I remember all POF pets outperforming their counterparts on moving targets.I remember a Ranger on these forums who made a spreadsheet of all his tests.

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:

The Alpine Wolf also has the f2 chill as well as the ability to cripple and knockdown.

I wouldn't take lynx. It's bleed dmg and you're power based and sort of a burst-Pet-Power DmgBesides, condis get cleared.

Maybe ANET fixed this, but I remember all POF pets outperforming their counterparts on moving targets.I remember a Ranger on these forums who made a spreadsheet of all his tests.

The lynx bleed damage is still good. And your stats don't affect the pet, so you could equip nothing and your pet will still deal a lot of damage. I sometimes think its a good idea to diversify damage, having power and condi (maybe from the pet), so your opponent struggles to deal with them. But you're right, it does get cleansed and you might be better off with a power pet.

@Joshewwah.2956 said:

The lynx bleed damage is still good.
And your stats don't affect the pet
so you could equip nothing and your pet will still deal a lot of damage. I sometimes think its a good idea to diversify damage, having power and condi (maybe from the pet), so your opponent struggles to deal with them. But you're right, it does get cleansed and you might be better off with a power pet.

Yanno, I don't know why I forgot that. I've had my head buried into spvp for quite some time.