Pay-to-win 2.0

Frye.4608

Why bother selling people stronger gear if you can let them skip that bit and pay straight into a 2.0+ K/D ratio which allows them to sustain the illusion of deserving it? Loot boxes or straight up advantages are one thing but very obvious. This is way smarter psychologically.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean... we already have P2W mounts so I don't see a valid argument from previous mount defenders to be against P2W loot boxes. They're both paying for additional buffs.

"Mounts are P2W buffs.""You can just buy PoF too."Well..."You can just buy P2W loot boxes.""I don't like paying for loot boxes."Hurrrrr!

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I mean... we already have P2W mounts so I don't see a valid argument from previous mount defenders to be against P2W loot boxes. They're both paying for additional buffs.

"Mounts are P2W buffs.""You can just buy PoF too."Well..."You can just buy P2W loot boxes.""I don't like paying for loot boxes."Hurrrrr!

nice false equivalency

@derd.6413 said:

@"Dhemize.8649" said:I mean... we already have P2W mounts so I don't see a valid argument from previous mount defenders to be against P2W loot boxes. They're both paying for additional buffs.

are you new to the MMO genre and the concept of xpacs

No. Care to explain the difference in supporting a company via an expac or buying loot boxes?

@TheGrimm.5624

Finally something worth responding to. It's my brother's account that came with five level 80 characters and a whole dead guild. It also came with a bunch of gold and enough materials in the bank to pay for at least one transfer of choice, possibly even more than one. Even if I wanted to transfer, it wouldn't cost me anything. I am literally not affected at all by this. I won't be playing long anyhow unless some magic click happens when I learn my second character which I happen to have started earlier today.So my pressure to transfer is next to zero. My motivation lies elsewhere.

If you 'pay straight into a 2.0+ K/D ratio' then that is short for 'transfer to a different server with the intention of having easier fights'. Just more condensed. Even mentioning loot boxes after all that has been discussed about it in social media should have been enough although out of context (the context being pay-to-win) I can see why some would read it as drops. I should have taken the audience into account apparently.

On topic : something doesn't have to be a new phenomenon to be a negative business practice. Just because the EA / BLIZZARD-STYLE LOOTBOXES (!!!!) or selling straight upgrades to gain an advantage have come under public and even political scrutiny doesn't mean that other incentives are all good. Personally I find paying for a skin to be perfectly acceptable. Lootbox gambling is not, paying for direct upgrades is not and paying for easier match-ups is certainly not okay. It is more subtle than bragging rights. It appeals to elitism and feeling a better player than you actually are. That is not okay, even if they are legally safe.

Lots of people have indicated on these very forums that they feel forced into paying money to transfer so they can play with their friends. Just one tiny indication that I at least have a nugget of truth here.

Finally, why do I even bother? Because I find many online communities show cannibalistic behavior, be it the toxicity in Overwatch which is gladly less prevalent in GW2 or buying into whatever incentive companies give players to spend money to solve problems that are artificially held in place. For example filling people's bags with junk as an incentive to buy more slots. Sound familiar?

He's referring to NA and the broken Activity in various tiers. Eg, this is the current standings of K+D, an indicator of 'which servers are busiest':Rank Server Activity

1. Dragonbrand - Tier 3 NA 60711
  2. Borlis Pass - Tier 4 NA 60616
  3. Maguuma - Tier 4 NA 60430
  4. Ferguson's Crossing - Tier 2 NA 59022
  5. Crystal Desert - Tier 3 NA 56291
  6. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 53869
  7. Sorrow's Furnace - Tier 4 NA 47800
  8. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 1 NA 46186
  9. Sea of Sorrows - Tier 1 NA 41361
  10. Yak's Bend - Tier 2 NA 39582
  11. Tarnished Coast - Tier 2 NA 37346
  12. Northern Shiverpeaks - Tier 3 NA 36232

This indicates a trend for players to transfer out of T1 to stack on a lower server for better fights. There's substantially better numbers and 'Activity' in a T4 or T3 server than there is in T1. Meanwhile, run a blob for an hour and you'll roll over any T1 server without barely a scratch.. making terribly boring, unenthusiastic and downright terrible game play for anyone left in that server, on any side.

Thus people pay to move.

GW2 certainly does have "lootboxes" in the widely-understood vernacular, and has had since launch. They are known as "Black Lion Chests" and have been relatively uncontroversial and somewhat popular for almost seven years. Their ever-increasing price on the Trading Post suggests they are getting more popular rather than less.

As far as the transfer of the OP's account from their brother is concerned, it would seem to be in violation of Sections 2(f)(iv), 4(a), 5(e)(i), and quite specifically 9(b) of the [EULA](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/[EULA](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/ "EULA").

@biofrog.1568 said:He's referring to NA and the broken Activity in various tiers. Eg, this is the current standings of K+D, an indicator of 'which servers are busiest':Rank Server Activity

1. Dragonbrand - Tier 3 NA 60711
  2. Borlis Pass - Tier 4 NA 60616
  3. Maguuma - Tier 4 NA 60430
  4. Ferguson's Crossing - Tier 2 NA 59022
  5. Crystal Desert - Tier 3 NA 56291
  6. Blackgate - Tier 1 NA 53869
  7. Sorrow's Furnace - Tier 4 NA 47800
  8. Fort Aspenwood - Tier 1 NA 46186
  9. Sea of Sorrows - Tier 1 NA 41361
  10. Yak's Bend - Tier 2 NA 39582
  11. Tarnished Coast - Tier 2 NA 37346
  12. Northern Shiverpeaks - Tier 3 NA 36232

This indicates a trend for players to transfer out of T1 to stack on a lower server for better fights. There's substantially better numbers and 'Activity' in a T4 or T3 server than there is in T1. Meanwhile, run a blob for an hour and you'll roll over any T1 server without barely a scratch.. making terribly boring, unenthusiastic and downright terrible game play for anyone left in that server, on any side.

Thus people pay to move.

So then why is T2 activity lower than T1?

And you happened to pick the first week after links changed.... Those active servers from T3 and 4 will bounce up...

So then why is T2 activity lower than T1?Why would it matter?

Tiers used to be based on Glicko. However good or bad that system was, it was conceptually linked to each world's performance over weeks of match ups. The current one up|one down system means that there is no connection between tier and performance older than the last two weeks. Any world that tends to "go on vacation" when there's an in-game festival or new LS episode tends to do poorly for two weeks in a row, which means dropping two tiers. In the current environment, any world that gets a dynamic new guild or superior commander for two weeks is going to win on points for two weeks enough to rise two tiers.

I think of T1 as "those worlds that care mostly about points" and T3 as "bandwagons for fights and/or for bags|karma-trains."

Or in other words, tiers don't mean anything useful anymore. All they can tell us is who might possibly be matched up next week.

@Dhemize.8649 said:

@Dhemize.8649 said:I mean... we already have P2W mounts so I don't see a valid argument from previous mount defenders to be against P2W loot boxes. They're both paying for additional buffs.

No. Care to explain the difference in supporting a company via an expac or buying loot boxes?

xpacs aren't in violation of gambling laws (in certain countries)

@derd.6413 said:

@Dhemize.8649 said:I mean... we already have P2W mounts so I don't see a valid argument from previous mount defenders to be against P2W loot boxes. They're both paying for additional buffs.

It's not gambling. You pay and get a buff. Next defense?

@Dhemize.8649 said:

you do know what a lootbox is, do you?

@derd.6413 said:

you do know what a lootbox is, do you?

You do know you're splitting hairs, right?