Anet back in Silent Mode

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:

Also i assume most ppl care about communication because largely se4 was rather weak on content deliveryHow was it "weak"? It was somewhat slower than LS3, but during that time, we got three new Mounts. What did we get during LS3 that was as epic?

Agreed! I think the LW just keeps getting better and then getting mounts added as well has been fantastic! I didn’t get to play LWS1 but hear it wasn’t great and then most of LWS2 was “meh” for me (in large part because I didn’t know the supporting cast), loved HoT, LWS3 was good until the Shining Blades / Livia stuff that to me felt forced and out of nowhere but I did like many of the maps and the music and still visit them, PoF just okay to me but LOVE mounts, then LWS4 I have enjoyed more overall, more good maps and music, and I actually feel more invested with many of the characters, including Braham, whom I confess I kind of hated during LWS3. Yes, there are parts which I would have liked different, but isn’t that always the case? :)

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the map/story living world model (although I still crave an expansion), but I really wish they were better at teasing the upcoming episodes gradually to keep discussion going. Even the Reddit sub has been kind of dead lately.

The way they built up to War Eternal with the teaser trailers was perfect, I just wish they would do that with every episode.

Especially with a whole new season coming, I just want some teaser trailers to build up hype.

They already gave us something to look forward to...Legendary Runes and SigilsBuild TemplatesCooking to 500WvW world restructuresPvP swiss tournaments

Runes/Sigils and Cooking isn't something they should announce way beforehand imo because there would be massive changes to the economy, like players hoarding things, going crazy and so on. Those are better revealed when they are done.

For the other three... they've been under development for some time, they can't give us an exact time frame because they probably don't know it yet. Imagine if they announce either of those three will be released next month, and for whatever reason they don't make it. Forum madness.

Season 5 won't come any time soon, there is Festival of the Four Winds in August and probably something included for the game's birthday. Wait until after that, or better yet wait for September, to make posts like these.

Chill for now.

Edit: plus 4th of July is an American public holiday isn't it? Also, it's summer, many developers will go on vacation and relax. Wait for September or mid August to re-start the drama and enjoy summer til then.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:We have lost tho ppl that would communicate with us and talk to us about plans they had or anything that are no longer with us. So post layoffs it has been more 'silent'.Naw, Rubi + Stephane combined are posting often, maybe more than Gaile (I'd have to count to compare).

We also lost ben.

Also i assume most ppl care about communication because largely se4 was rather weak on content deliveryHow was it "weak"? It was somewhat slower than LS3, but during that time, we got three new Mounts. What did we get during LS3 that was as epic?

Mounts are cool but mounts are largely movement tools and basically a way for them to sell skins, hot did't have any big revenue income item. But regardless of that se3 had more content in terms of fractals and raids as well, plus we also saw the big rework of wvw rewards, its leggie armor, the raid leggie armor etc.

ppl want assuranceYes, it's clear that many do. But people always want assurance. That was true during LS1, during the content drought (which had less communication about their plans, because they didn't want to hint at the expac), during ... etc

They talked about pof before se3 even srarted, it was their first big bit of info dump post near the end of the drought which was them basically doing restructuring.

Also yea ppl wanted more assurance in se1 and they do so now, anet hasnt really done any better job.

smth on the long term of the game's health.Again, that's not what concerns me. If the company is healthy (which it seems to be, as far as GW2 is concerned), then the game has a long term. And if the company isn't, then it can't possibly matter how often they post.

but we dont know unless they post, they havent given any substancial info on the long term and that makes ppl reluctant to invest time and possibly money. For many ppl lw isnt exciting nor sustainable for their interest in the game and basically an expansion would be needed for them.

GGG ceo Chris Wilson spoke about the importance of cadence and letting ppl know of whats going on internally, he also spoke for the importance of big expansions to bring back ppl that are bored or burned out on smaller scale content updates.

@maddoctor.2738 said:They already gave us something to look forward to...Legendary Runes and SigilsBuild TemplatesCooking to 500WvW world restructuresPvP swiss tournaments

Non of this had any actuall info given other than their soon-alliances-tm (iirc that soon tm is now nearing 2 years?)

Runes/Sigils and Cooking isn't something they should announce way beforehand imo because there would be massive changes to the economy, like players hoarding things, going crazy and so on. Those are better revealed when they are done.

For the other three... they've been under development for some time, they can't give us an exact time frame because they probably don't know it yet. Imagine if they announce either of those three will be released next month, and for whatever reason they don't make it. Forum madness.

Yeah but most of these are qol and not really content so ppl are rightfully not nearly satisfied by this to the extend they were when mo talked to about the company split before se3 with the live team and the expac team confirming that both are happening.

Season 5 won't come any time soon, there is Festival of the Four Winds in August and probably something included for the game's birthday. Wait until after that, or better yet wait for September, to make posts like these.

Chill for now.

Sad thing about these is that they arent really new or exciting, some current events content would at least help during these months of low content. Most other mmos seem to release their big expacs around this time.

Edit: plus 4th of July is an American public holiday isn't it? Also, it's summer, many developers will go on vacation and relax. Wait for September or mid August to re-start the drama and enjoy summer til then.

Drama? I think its pretty fair feedback albeit op prob wasnt aware of the holiday? Not that they prob demanding smth right here, right now.

@kharmin.7683 said:Anything Anet would say would not be specific enough and they would be derided to no end. Or, if they were specific, they would be blasted for failing to follow through on exactly what was said.

We forum-goers can be a brutal bunch of kittens.

So, I believe that it is safer for them to be extremely selective about the timing and wording of any announcements or other comments made in these parts.

Or, they can do what's actually much healthier and over-communicate so that it doesn't cause out of control expectations to develop in the first place.

@"Linken.6345" said:Are you sure you aint on fo76 forum, gw2 never promise just say it will come out when its ready.

They didn't even say that all the listed stuff was coming out ever. They closed their statement saying that those were things they are having in mind, not that they were actually already working on them. At least, that's how I recall it.

Okay, "[...] have already been in development for some time": https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/

Lets stop kidding ourselves. The expectations of getting mountain size content in a f2p game needs to stop. I get it we are jealous that games like ff14 and WoW seem to have so much going on but the reason for that is the subscription. We get very little in the content department so what can they possibly say to get us excited. Nothing IMO.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Lets stop kidding ourselves. The expectations of getting mountain size content in a f2p game needs to stop. I get it we are jealous that games like ff14 and WoW seem to have so much going on but the reason for that is the subscription. We get very little in the content department so what can they possibly say to get us excited. Nothing IMO.

Except it's not a f2p game since we bought expacs/LW/gems, so I think we should be able to expect reasonably frequent new content and updates for that money paid.

@"Poormany.4507" said:Except it's not a f2p game since we bought expacs/LW/gems

I don't know what definition you're using, but here's Wikipedia's:

Free-to-play (F2P or FtP) video games, also known as free-to-start, are games that give players access to a significant portion of their content without paying. Free-to-play can be contrasted with pay to play, in which payment is required before using a service for the first time.

And Technopedia's:

Free to play (F2P) refers to a business model for online games in which the game designers do not charge the user or player in order to join the game. Instead, they hope to bring in revenue from advertisements or in-game sales, such as payment for upgrades, special abilities, special items, and expansion packs.

Games are (typically) not charity operations, no one's going to give one away completely for free. And in order to get "reasonably frequent new content and updates" you're going to need to provide reasonably frequent new cash investments, one way or another.

Why is everyone worried about communication? Have a little patience. We know season 5 is coming. The release windows have always been shooting for 2-3 months after the previous release. I would expect a the new episode middle of next month at the latest. If not they will probably post something. In the meantime, enjoy the plethora of maps that they’ve created for us in the past several years, or else play something else if you are bored.

I dont see how anet can fix all the problems... slow raid/fractals release, bad pvp balance, alliances w/o proper balance will be trash. Xpac lvl content is probably going to be more new mounts, more armor skins etc.. but no proper actual content for ppl to get into for months.I dont think we will ever see new e-specs, race or weapon types... It will be just more story that like half of players dont even care about (atleast in my guild)

@VDAC.2137 said:

@"zealex.9410" said:

Agreed! I think the LW just keeps getting better and then getting mounts added as well has been fantastic! I didn’t get to play LWS1 but hear it wasn’t great and then most of LWS2 was “meh” for me (in large part because I didn’t know the supporting cast), loved HoT, LWS3 was good until the Shining Blades / Livia stuff that to me felt forced and out of nowhere but I did like many of the maps and the music and still visit them, PoF just okay to me but LOVE mounts, then LWS4 I have enjoyed more overall, more good maps and music, and I actually feel more invested with many of the characters, including Braham, whom I confess I kind of hated during LWS3. Yes, there are parts which I would have liked different, but isn’t that always the case? :)

As far as I am concerned LWS1 was some of the best content they have put out... shame we can't get to replay it. To be honest i enjoy LW content, but I also like to hear a little more about the long term and for the game because ya know we tend to get pretty invested in it. That for me is what has dogged ANET alot over the years and I would not be surprised if its been a factor in players drifting off to other titles.The cadence of content, for me has never been an issue in fact I think ANET have outdone themselves as well as throwing in a few surprises at times... but long periods of silence have often been met with surprises not so great or they suddenly throw out a bone only to provide very rushed, last minute, very stunted and laccking long term promise like Guild Halls with HOT or suns refuge of late.Sure things happen, things can change that's not unlike any other business but I would rather see some longer term roadmap that at least offers us players some commitment that GW2 has a future beyond what we already know... but sadly that has just not been ANET's fortey over the years imo.

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

Free-to-play (F2P or FtP) video games, also known as free-to-start, are games that give players access to a significant portion of their content without paying. Free-to-play can be contrasted with pay to play, in which payment is required before using a service for the first time.

And Technopedia's:

Free to play (F2P) refers to a business model for online games in which the game designers do not charge the user or player in order to join the game. Instead, they hope to bring in revenue from advertisements or in-game sales, such as payment for upgrades, special abilities, special items, and expansion packs.

Games are (typically) not charity operations, no one's going to give one away completely for free. And in order to get "reasonably frequent new content and updates" you're going to need to provide reasonably frequent new cash investments, one way or another.

Wikipedia categorizes Guild Wars 2 as both Buy-to-Play and Play4Free, actually. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_games#Business_models

@Poormany.4507 said:

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:Lets stop kidding ourselves. The expectations of getting mountain size content in a f2p game needs to stop. I get it we are jealous that games like ff14 and WoW seem to have so much going on but the reason for that is the subscription. We get very little in the content department so what can they possibly say to get us excited. Nothing IMO.

Except it's not a f2p game since we bought expacs/LW/gems, so I think we should be able to expect reasonably frequent new content and updates for that money paid.

Your expectations are set too high. A 1 time purchase is not gonna put this game in the category you want it to be. The guaranteed money from a sub is what is needed to get that constant and consistant stream of meaty updates. Sure the gem store is nice but you dont need real money to acquire anything off it, thanks to the ability to convert. This game is in category of its own and people need to stop placing it as the same tier of MMO as the big 3, which all have a sub, cash shop and most importantly way more players. I love this game too and wish anet had that big dick budget, but the truth of the matter is, it doesnt.

Game is not f2p?

@Tarlonniel.6534 said:

And Technopedia's:

Wouldnt ff14 also aply to this as a big portion of the game is free to try?