Mounts make WvW Unplayable [LAG]

Saying that mounts are "doubling" the population and causing lag seems incorrect.

In real life, rider and horse are two things with two different minds and bodies and sometimes the rider does one thing and the horse another. When the rider gets off the horse, the horse doesn't vanish. In this computer game, rider and horse are 1 composite entity with 1 brain and a body that moves as one. When the rider gets off, the horse vanishes.

Contrast that to Rangers or Necros with pets. Pet and player must be drawn seperately and the game spends resources controlling the pet in addition to reacting to the player.

The only real difference between a mounted and unmounted character are the movement animations and speed. In some ways mounted movement should be simpler to render since there are less possible animations (can't dodge and can't cast spells or do most things mounted).

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:The server time dedicated to WvW has been reduced. When it went from anet servers to AWS servers, we saw a big up tick in skill lag

less performance using a 3rd party service provider seems like a more likely culprit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"EmmetOtter.8542" said:Saying that mounts are "doubling" the population and causing lag seems incorrect.

In real life, rider and horse are two things with two different minds and bodies and sometimes the rider does one thing and the horse another. When the rider gets off the horse, the horse doesn't vanish. In this computer game, rider and horse are 1 composite entity with 1 brain and a body that moves as one. When the rider gets off, the horse vanishes.

Contrast that to Rangers or Necros with pets. Pet and player must be drawn seperately and the game spends resources controlling the pet in addition to reacting to the player.

The only real difference between a mounted and unmounted character are the movement animations and speed. In some ways mounted movement should be simpler to render since there are less possible animations (can't dodge and can't cast spells or do most things mounted).

@TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:The server time dedicated to WvW has been reduced. When it went from anet servers to AWS servers, we saw a big up tick in skill lag

less performance using a 3rd party service provider seems like a more likely culprit.

Not at all, considering the ability of AWS, it's not like they are short on server capacity. AWS is also scalable based on load if you are willing to pay for it. AWS also hosts over 90% off all major online games. But hey, I guess GW2 just has way to many players compared to Fortnites 8.3 million concurrent players, which is also hosted on AWS.

Back end code can handle the numbers far better than it is now, as it did before, what is left is they have cut back on what they are willing to pay for in dedicated server time. As AWS will scale up based on load IF you are willing to pay for it.

For me, lag is and always was a sign that I'm about to run into a blob of 20+ people. Whether it be mine, theirs, mounted or unmounted never mattered.

The only exception to this rule is a weird stutter that occurs (when no one is around) most times at the nw spawn side of red bl and occasional at north Hills.

@trueanimus.4085 said:No offense but it seems you need a new PC. The game is perfectly fine for me... 100+ people in one area... all on mounts.. no problems with full graphics and costumes.. i770 16g ram 1060 geforce

You're full of it.Nobody runs full graphics in WvW. I have a better machine than yours and anything above low character count makes it catatonic.

• 1 month later...

I actually have zero lag in wvw, and yes I do run it on full graphics even with a reshade to tone down the color a little, all sync'ed @60. Course my computer is anything but ordinary as is my Internet. However, even though I can pull this feat off, it does however make my 5ghz i7 with custom loop cooling run warmer then anything else I do on it, more then likely due to how GW2 uses more CPU then either of my 2 2080's or the 32 gigs of ram. That being said I would love to see the engine get a once over and brought more "up to date", but I also understand that the ability to do that might be a bit much for now. But who knows, perhaps they are trying to better optimize it with the hopefully soon "alliance" system for WvW.