The permeating wrath split

Kniphis.9725

Ive been running a hybrid sages FB dps (having had a look on the forums similar to Ragnar's firesage build) in spvp, enjoying it a lot, decided to invest in rejigging my WvW gear to export this build to this game mode, I was underwhelmed by the output and it took my a while to put my finger on the fact that permeating wrath is split between PvP (4s burn) and WvW / PvE (2s burn). I am however slightly perplexed as to why its a wvw/PvE split and not pvp/wvw. I couldn't find the patch notes in which it was changed but I would be interested in opinions/justifications people could think of.

I'd guess it's because in sPvP, you're a lot less likely to get lots of additional burns from the area effect of Permeating Wrath, so the length of the burn is longer to compensate. WvW and PvE can often present you with target-rich environments where you can get the maximum number of targets per proc; in sPvP, your opponents are usually fairly spread out.

So I run a similar amount of condi dmg in wvw as the sages amulet in pvp, its reads 4.25sec 1292 dmg in pvp and 2sec 591dmg in wvw, it seems a significant difference and really reduces any chance of running a hybrid, which I know I'm not owed just a shame. While I appreciate the intensity idea, surely my chances of stacking the intensity is limited by the duration of the burn? Just a little disappointed. Thanks for replies.

@Kniphis.9725 said:So I run a similar amount of condi dmg in wvw as the sages amulet in pvp, its reads 4.25sec 1292 dmg in pvp and 2sec 591dmg in wvw, it seems a significant difference and really reduces any chance of running a hybrid, which I know I'm not owed just a shame. While I appreciate the intensity idea, surely my chances of stacking the intensity is limited by the duration of the burn? Just a little disappointed. Thanks for replies.

Duration is only good when the target doesn't cleanse.A good burn guard build only needs 2 ticks to down another player. Sacrificing toughness, vitality and Condi damage for expertise is arguably damaging, if not at least superfluous.