Black Screen Randomly No Crash or Error Code

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after a Windows 10 update, about a week ago, every time I try to launch the game, I would get a tab that would say , Untitled, but it is after I log in and the ready tab is clicked. I did the reair option, turn off the Nvidia capture option, and uninstalled and reinstall the game couple of times, and still have that same problem. any suggestions?

If you have the issue where you get a sudden black screen but you can still open menus, specifically the F12 log out dialogue, then it's a network issue. I get the issue from time to time, usually for a month or so and then it disappears for a long while. Either it's instability in connection on Anet's end or something on my end, likely Windows Updates or wireless interference that cause it.

One solution is to set your client port to 80 or 443, as someone else mentioned. Another is to try going to an ethernet connection if you're on wireless, if possible.

Another is to check for updated network adapter drivers.

This is a different issue to losing a monitor entirely, that's a graphics card problem. Either driver or hardware related.

• 1 month later...

@slay.7582 said:This issue has been happening to me since April 2016, a random blackscreen with the environment music as background. I have tryed way too many options without any success, for example:

I tryed fixing the game with the fix command.I tryed reinstalling the gameI uninstalled, cleaned and fully reinstalled the gameI updated my Graphics Card drivers (It was an AMD back then)I updated my Windows driversI did port forwarding for ports 80 443 6112 and 6600I reduced the firewall security optionsI disabled the firewallI got a new Graphics Card, even from a different brand (Nvidia 1070)I got a new processorI updated and got more RAMI changed my routerI even changed my Internet Service Provider for a different company

After 2 long and annoying years, that have ruinned every little piece of interest I had in GW2, none of the above have helped or fixed the issue.

I contacted GW2 Support which was a total waste of time, they answer tickets too slow, 1 week for a basic response that only shows that the help desk engineer does not even try to read and understand the case, only getting predetermined answers.

I've lost any hope in Anet as a company, they just don't care about their customers, and after all what I have attempted, I'm confident that the issue is not on my end, but I am also sure that Anet team wont try to do anything as well.

ive been having this issue across 2 entirely different systems too. super annoying. this literally ONLY happens with gw2. can play any other game or software with no issue at all. i don't get it :(

event viewer says it might be an issue with ntdll.dll in system32... but ive tried all fixes for that too and still have the issue. the crashes make me quit playing this game so often

• 3 weeks later...

@Healix.5819 said:There's a type of black screen where GW2 basically thinks you're disconnected, but you're actually not, so it doesn't display the connection error message. On this type of black screen, you can press F12 to open the logout menu, showing that it's still actually running. This can be caused by packet loss or anything else interfering with your connection. Try running the game on port 80 or 443 (Gw2.exe -clientport 80) or using a VPN.

For the GPU type of black screens, either your monitor would turn off / lose its signal, or your entire screen would go black for a few seconds as Windows tries to recover.

This is exactly what I am getting with my average connection in my holidays house. Black screen but F11 or F12 still works.I know my connection is bad, very bad location for internet.When I use my phone shared connection, no more black screen ! And my phone is only in H+ on this location.

• 5 months later...

well, it seems that i'm another victim of this problem...I was playing without any issues since 2017, and now randomly while playing Dragon Ball on the New Year Festival, my screen went black with music on the backgroung... I did exactly everyone told here to do, but it didn't fix the problem...Damn i was so happy playing this game, i really hope there's a solution. If you know any, please tell...

• 4 months later...

As far as i understand this is not video driver problem ( i run gw2 in window mode, and had that, desktop wasn't effected ).I believe thats effect of ddos attack on your game client. As a result, it disconnects, but game client still has connection to log in server. In other words, you forcefully dropped out of game.

Today i had that too, and second after that my anti virus blocked Ddos attack attempts. There is other thread in this subsections that reports about ddos attacks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a similar problem but to have the problem that others on here have had would be an improvement. Basically did everything you can possibly find from any form of support. Windows crashes black screen on any driver installation which I figure is a corrupted file somewhere but exhausted all of my sources of fixing it :(

I'm describing the same issue in this thread here:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/85262/my-game-crashes-at-least-once-a-day-on-brand-new-computer

I've been receiving help through arena-net support unsuccessfully since august 26 2019, and my ticket has even been escalated to Lead GM Magister, who has been trying to help me to no avail. I've done several tests, contacted my ISP, the tech help desk of shop I bought the computer from, even asus the company I bought my wifi hardware from. Literally all of those have tried to help but concluded everything was honky dory on their end. Except Asus, their main office in Taiwan is still looking into the issue. (but I have a feeling they will conclude the same, that it's guild wars that causes the problem)

After asking the gm's multiple times to forward this to the development team, I now have resorted to begging them and using please multiple times.I hope they listen, I'm so tired of trying things and contacting everyone when it's clearly an error on their end. The last reply I received was from wednesday last week, so it's almost a full week since they last replied to me.

If you have this blackscreen issue PLEASE open a ticket, they will only seriously consider this being a fault on their end if they receive enough reports of people with this issue.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I had this issue for awhile; turns out it was a Tier 1 backbone issue.

Maybe for you, but my housemate and I use the same internet. Only difference between us is wifi hardware, mine is from asus and his is from intel. He doesn't get the blackscreens, but I do. So since we play from the same spot in the house using the same wifi, it's literally not possible for it to be a tier 1 backbone issue since he doesn't have any problems.

@inuraichi.6178 said:Maybe for you, but my housemate and I use the same internet. Only difference between us is wifi hardware, mine is from asus and his is from intel. He doesn't get the blackscreens, but I do.

Which means your computer is likely the cause. Rule everything out. Disable the wireless and try using a wire; you could even use a wire to connect through the other computer by bridging the connections. If you have a separate router and modem, try directly connecting to the modem. If you have a spare drive/partition, do a quick clean install of Windows with nothing else. Update to the latest drivers and bios direct from the manufacturer.

Some adapters have included extra features (or additional software) that have been problems in the past. You can try experimenting with its configuration under Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections > right click the adapter > properties > configure > advanced.

@inuraichi.6178 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I had this issue for awhile; turns out it was a Tier 1 backbone issue.

Maybe for you, but my housemate and I use the same internet. Only difference between us is wifi hardware, mine is from asus and his is from intel. He doesn't get the blackscreens, but I do. So since we play from the same spot in the house using the same wifi, it's literally not possible for it to be a tier 1 backbone issue since he doesn't have any problems.

Cool, but you aren't the only one with the issue in the thread.

@Healix.5819I already tried everything you just said and more. If you want I can mail you the entire correspondence between me and GW2 support.

Except the connect directly to router because my computer is downstairs and the router is upstairs, and I'm not moving either of them.Also, my housemate uses wifi without disconnects, so my wifi should also work without disconnects.