Balance Patch appreciation thread

Zenix.6198

to get ahead of the rivers of tears, I (a terribly biased weaver main) am very happy with those changes.

While some things kinda baffled me: like holo not getting adressed at all; or how warrior only gets a 24s CD nerf to rampage; or why Primordial stance needed a buff etc. etc.

But overall im optimistic.

Edit:For reference: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/81729/upcoming-balance-notes/p1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holosmith hasn't received any serious nerfs since December of last year. All is right with the world.

There's a lot of confusing patch notes in here though.

EngineerOverload: Overloading now disables all toolbelt skills for its duration.

What is an Overload? Does this mean Overheat?

MesmerIllusions: The illusion counter that tracks clones now decrements immediately when a shatter is cast rather than waiting for the clones to be destroyed.Speed of Sand: Instead of granting superspeed when dodging, this trait instead causes Mirage Cloak to grant +66% movement speed.

Does this mean Mirage loses out on the distance it can travel in mirage cloak if suffering cripple or chilled?

im not so sure appreciation is the right word for how i feel... looks like MORE POWERCREEP?????

Elementalist: ?????? nothing but buffs and moving stuff around????Engineer: WHAT ABOUT HOLO NERFS???Guardian: buffing symbols??? buffing DH????Mesmer: New chrono shatters? MORE SLOW???? BUFFS!?!?!?!??Necromancer: ..........okRanger: looks like if people cry enough stuff gets done over a year laterRevenant: This doesnt change anything important except maybe notorietyTheif: TRAPS?!?!?!?!?! WHO WANTED NEW TRAPS!?!?!??!?!?!Warrior: 120s rampage sure

Looks like once again, anet doesn't even realize pvp exists.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:im not so sure appreciation is the right word for how i feel... looks like MORE POWERCREEP?????Mesmer: New chrono shatters? MORE SLOW???? BUFFS!?!?!?!??

Chrono got one of the biggest trade offs in the game for choosing Chronomancer. This is an immense nerf to Chronomancer across all areas of the game and for all play styles. They're losing Illusory Persona entirely. That's huge. The Chronomancer no longer counts as their own illusion. They're also straight up losing Distortion like I predicted they would. That means the ability to burst a target is massively cut as Chronomancer is always one illusion shorter than core Mesmer and Mirage at this point. In addition the added vulnerability of not having Distortion means they're going to be pressured into less offensive variants which is the biggest problem with PvP Chronomancer at this point and force them away from things like jumping people with torch from stealth and onto Shield just to have some sort of active defenses.

A mesmer variant without distortion at all. What a time to be alive.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:im not so sure appreciation is the right word for how i feel... looks like MORE POWERCREEP?????

Elementalist: ?????? nothing but buffs and moving stuff around????Engineer: WHAT ABOUT HOLO NERFS???Guardian: buffing symbols??? buffing DH????Mesmer: New chrono shatters? MORE SLOW???? BUFFS!?!?!?!??Necromancer: ..........okRanger: looks like if people cry enough stuff gets done over a year laterRevenant: This doesnt change anything important except maybe notorietyTheif: TRAPS?!?!?!?!?! WHO WANTED NEW TRAPS!?!?!??!?!?!Warrior: 120s rampage sure

Looks like once again, anet doesn't even realize pvp exists.

Rev nerfs are actually quite big imo.Might stacks got significantly reduced, since Notoriety actually is HUGE for might generation rn.Shackling wave and Impossible Odds got their dmg cut by ~20%Deathstrike loses chill and slow (which is already good but also makes their flip-over harder to hit).

Also the symbol buffs for guardians just mean that they will now have to choose between radiance and zeal.So it's not like a straight buff, but rather an additional option....considering they lose like ~7% critdmg from radiance.

Warrior Rampage nerf is a bit of joke imo.With Peak Performance it will still be on a 96s CD.

Thief Traps look refreshing.New traps weren't necessarily needed, but the old ones were straight up garbage.So again ...just more options.

Chrono didnt really get buffed.It looses out on a good chunk of distortion now on top of not being able to shatter without clones.

I can see how the ele buffs can be a bit controversial.But the core traitlines were very much outdated and held minimal value when not attuned to the respective element....so Im kinda glad they adressed those.Primordial stance buff was unnecessary, I agree....In fact I even thought they would nerf it....but I take what I get after being irrelevant for 2 years now ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:No nerfs to scourge.. kitten Anet?

Outside of adding a 1s global cooldown between shade skills I actually can't imagine any nerfs necromancer specifically needs. It's exceptionally strong in the right circumstances but also very limited in it's role and what it can do with a very specific niche. That's how every build should be.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Outside of adding a 1s global cooldown between shade skills I actually can't imagine any nerfs necromancer specifically needs. It's exceptionally strong in the right circumstances but also very limited in it's role and what it can do with a very specific niche. That's how every build should be.

So still FB + 2 scourge every game. This patch won’t change a thing. Except we will see more eles. And how are buffs to guardians needed?? Are they even playing this game mode. Last nail in the coffin I’m afraid.

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:

So still FB + 2 scourge every game. This patch won’t change a thing. Except we will see more eles. And how are buffs to guardians needed?? Are they even playing this game mode. Last nail in the coffin I’m afraid.

Idk. I've played 100 plat 1-2 games and while scourges and reapers on both teams aren't uncommmon Firebrands on either team feel very uncommon. People don't queue on Firebrand, even top tier PvPers, because playing Firebrand or dedicated support in general just makes you so dependent on everyone else on your team actually performing their roles. At this point Firebrand feels like an Automated Tournament only build.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Idk. I've played 100 plat 1-2 games and while scourges and reapers on both teams aren't uncommmon Firebrands on either team feel very uncommon. People don't queue on Firebrand, even top tier PvPers, because playing Firebrand or dedicated support in general just makes you so dependent on everyone else on your team actually performing their roles. At this point Firebrand feels like an Automated Tournament only build.

Yes, you are right. What I meant was that the meta won’t change. Also Buffing already strong classes won’t help the balance of this game..

@ZeroTheCat.2684 said:

Yes, you are right. What I meant was that the meta won’t change. Also Buffing already strong classes won’t help the balance of this game..

No top tier spec was specifically buffed. Firebrand+Scourge will remain strong in ranked but that's about it.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

No top tier spec was specifically buffed. Firebrand+Scourge will remain strong in ranked but that's about it.

Except weaver which is arguably top tier for sidepoint 1v1s.

The Ranger and Rev changes are pretty cool I guess. Credit where credit is due. Props.

Meanwhile i'm tilted looking for those Holo nerfs that aren't there.

Holo can have more Rampage uptime than Strength Warrior now, and a damage multiplier that scales up to 50% now. As if double Holo DuoQ's weren't bad enough for the past 4 seasons, now i'm sure that'l be every other game if not every single game with the nerfs to Rev, SLB, and SB getting tuned down.

And what about that annoying stun, daze, and imob-spam Mesmer build? That wasn't touched despite the nerfs to 3 of the other side-noders. That's like a straight buff on top of the literal buffs.

I'll personally be more inclined to show some more appreciation when the regressive style of balancing stops.

@Ryan.9387 said:

People are definitely sleeping on condi weaver, but I wouldn't call it obvious top tier the way Firebrand+Scourge+Herald are for MATS, and Spellbreaker+Holo+Scrapper+Soulbeast+Herald are for ranked.

This game can no longer afford complete nerfs. The player base is already dying. A lot of people left the game when Mesmer was nerfed to the ground across the board in all modes in 2018. People who played Chrono since HoT were very disappointed and it decimated Mesmer playerbase. They will not repeat that mistake again.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

People are definitely sleeping on condi weaver, but I wouldn't call it obvious top tier the way Firebrand+Scourge+Herald are for MATS, and Spellbreaker+Holo+Scrapper+Soulbeast+Herald are for ranked.

Well I also think (fire) weaver was already pretty strong atm so additional buffs, especially to burn, were really unnecessary and I'm kinda afraid of them now taking over as sidenoder tbh.

@Paradoxoglanis.1904 said:Revenant: This doesnt change anything important except maybe notorietyTheif: TRAPS?!?!?!?!?! WHO WANTED NEW TRAPS!?!?!??!?!?!

Thief: I wanted new traps, the preps are looking really interesting tbh, especially outside of sPvP as, but also they improve 1v1 potential of thief, which I'd extremely appreciate. We'll see how they turn out, maybe they are also complete garbage just like traps.

And Rev.. Are you kidding? Rev nerfs are huge. Notoriety got stack AND duration nerfed to almost a minimum, how much more do you want the trait to get crippled? So might uptime is probably reduced by about 30-40% or something. Especially since Rev has increased power buff from might this is a massive damage reduction to everything.Shackling Wave with Impossible Odds was the biggest single burst of Rev and even this didn't oneshot anything other than a thief maybe and now it got a 20% and 19% damage reduction respectively, on top of the lack of might damage boost. And this doesn't change anything important? What would you then say is important for Rev?I'd predict that Rev got straight up reduced to a +1 only class. Especially since unnerfed Holo, Mirage and Core Ranger are still around and probably more DH on the rise, it will be unplayble as a bruiser (1v1 or 1vX scenarios were already unfavorable for Rev anyway tho).

@mortrialus.3062 said:Holosmith hasn't received any serious nerfs since December of last year. All is right with the world.

So halving Stab uptime on Corona Burst wasn't a serious nerf? Also Laser's Edge will probably get nerfed, even though it is hard to say without numbers. Right now it's a 15% dmg Buff that can be kept up fairly constantly (>50 heat). I assume will scale from 1-10% with the new system. And Eli X won't be a factor with the high cd anymore either.The nerfs on Holo aren't as hard as on Rev, but definitely harder than on War for example.

Overall it's a job half done as always. Nerfs on Rev and Slb are on point. Scrapper probably aswell, even though it lacks too many numbers to make a judgement.Rampage and Warr in general got off too easy. On Mes CI was not dealt with. Holo got off fairly good aswell, even though some of the bugfixes and nerfs are significant, but it's a moderate nerf. Weaver might be a problem after the patch, but I don't really know enough about it to judge how the trait revamps are turning out. Daggerstorm Nerf on thief is fine, but giving portal was unnecessary.

tbh I already figured that CI Mirage wouldnt get adressed this patch.Not because it doesn't need nerfs (cause it does) but simply because the build had it's "debut" quite recently.

If you look back more than ~2 weeks nobody even knew it was an issue.