I'm worried about this game, When WOW classic Comes out.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"mikhail.3506" said:I honestly Hooope nothing will happen to this game, it's a good game. But if we don't get a HUGE update like a new expansion/content come August there won't be anyone left playing this game. No players= no money = no content. It's gonna be a vicious cycle.

So What new content are we getting in August, and will it be enough to stop people from going to WOW CLassic?

ironforgewowclassic.jpg

I hope WoW classic does great, the whole MMO genre isn't doing very well, and a great hit would help a lot, specially if it's trying to bring back old school values.

And yes, it's going to be huge. Probably even more than retail WoW.

The sub might kill it. I'm eager to play vanilla WoW again, but expecting many people to pay a €12 monthly sub just isn't realistic.But even if GW2 doesn't scratch the same itch as 2006 WoW, it's a great game in it's own right - and I doubt Classic WoW is going to snatch away a significant # of GW2 players, even if I'm looking forward to resurrecting my vanilla enhancement shammie.

I don't speak for everyone but i know some player prefer GW2 over WoW or any old school mmo like WoW, the combat is fast-paced and limited skill with no global cd, grind isnt bad and quests are unique not just "go there kill that" so yea...i don't think WoW Classic will take away all of GW2 player

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Airdive.2613 said:I still remember how Bless Online killed GW 2.

Really? Since the game still exists, the servers are still running, people are playing this game and it still receives new content frequently, I think your statement is simply untrue.

That was the point of their post, Bless crashed and burned without a trace on release outside of Asia after being the next dream game that everyone would play.

Okay, never heard of it, hence didn't catch the sarcasm. ;)

It was all over the forums when it happened because (a) it was about to be the next GW2 killer, (b) Bless refugees were all over, and © it was part of the reason Customer Support was overwhelmed (refugees plus people returning to GW2 for that and other reasons).

I think that's why the poster expected people to get the joke. (Not that every forum frequenter should have noticed, just that enough did that it became a meme.)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Airdive.2613" said:I still remember how Bless Online killed GW 2.

Really? Since the game still exists, the servers are still running, people are playing this game and it still receives new content frequently, I think your statement is simply untrue.

That was the point of their post, Bless crashed and burned without a trace on release outside of Asia after being the next dream game that everyone would play.

Okay, never heard of it, hence didn't catch the sarcasm. ;)

By the way, never played WoW, so I had to look up the "big news". What a curious concept to release the game again, so to speak, from scratch.

It is a concept that has reinvigorated some older mmos, at least for a while.

Lotro and Anarchy Online each set up new servers starting from vanilla, adding in each stage of content over the course of a few months. Lotro did theirs mirroring the original succession and Anarchy gradually added past content by social media vote after setting up a new vanilla server.

Lotro was so successful, they had to add an addition server for it and capacity was far beyind what the devs accounted for (players were queueing to get into the game)

So it is a curious concept, but one that works at least for a short period. Im not convinced it is a sustainable model, but I understand why some mmos are doing it. Wow classic is a bit different, but the principle is rhe same.

Just like every other release since GW2 came out... here's what's going to happen.

1) The trash talking about how bad GW2 is and how awesome __ is going to be2) A dip in players for GW2 for a month or two, with WoW classic maybe 3-4 months until people burn out and realize they are still paying a sub3) Said players that were trash talking GW2, quit their beloved they swore their life too.4) A long rant about how new game sucks on GW2 Forums/Reddit and how awesome GW2 is5) Repeat the cycle on the next game

Mostly done with games with subscriptions or those that don't fulfill the God level of hype that is expected.

I never played WoW, always thought it looked fun but I never played it for one simple reason.Mandatory sub fee.

I don't care how good WoW is, I'll never play it so long as it has a mandatory sub fee.Same applies to every other MMO and online service that demands I pay a sub.

If companies want me to pay them to access their online services then they better start providing internet access because there's no way in hell i'm going to pay them to not lock me out of something i've already payed for, they can take their mandatory sub fees and go to hell.

I respect the hell out of Anet for sticking with their anti-subfee stance in Gw2.If Gw2 had a mandatory sub fee I never would have bought the game.

Collectors edition owner + 2 Ultimate editions, Maxed out bank tabs, 19 character slots, 12 shared inventory slots, 1000 crafting material storage, 1 additional bag slot, 3 chairs, 4 gemstore outfits, 6 gemstore musical toys, 17 gemstore gliders, 39 random mount licence unlocks, Spooky mounts pack, Branded mounts pack, Mad realm mounts pack, Warclaw pack, paid 800 gems into Skyscale pack, few gemstore minipets.And godknows how many gems to gold and black lion keys purchased over the years.. not to mention bought both expansions for a friend as well.

Suffice to say i've put far more money into Gw2 than I would have paying a sub fee to play the game.It's never been about money it's simply about principle.Subfees are a rip off and a very outdated and toxic business practice.. it's well past time they went away for good.

Hah! Man....all this hype for a 15 year old game, it's hilarious. I'm sorry, but knowing how these mmo shenanigans and hype work...WoW classic will take some people away for a while, but it won't magically kill this game. It's like, don't people on these forums remember...Black Desert, Wildstar, ESO? These were supposed to put a serious dent on gw2, or at least that's what the forums told me! As long as gw2 can supply steady pve content(living world, fractals, new maps) and gem store shinies, it will survive. Though I never played WoW, I can sense that the newest expansion didn't really do so well, which I guess is the reason for the classic release. WoW classic is basically telling me that Blizzard is trying to capture the "magic" of WoW that made it so great. I will tell you all this, it ain't going to happen. WoW blew up in a specific time, place and context. And like any work of art, the magic can't simply be replicated as it was during its time. Books, music, you name it. They're a product of their time. WoW classic may grab people for a while for the sake of nostalgia, but it's not going to last long.

Another thing, MMOs as a whole are done, their heyday is over. They're not dying completely, but I believe what will happen is that they will go back to being niche as they used to be. People are moving on to more pvp-based games or back to consoles. This whole business of pve "endgame" used to draw in people as WoW has done is over.

@"mikhail.3506" said:I honestly Hooope nothing will happen to this game, it's a good game. But if we don't get a HUGE update like a new expansion/content come August there won't be anyone left playing this game. No players= no money = no content. It's gonna be a vicious cycle.

So What new content are we getting in August, and will it be enough to stop people from going to WOW CLassic?

ironforgewowclassic.jpg

I'm sure 8 out of ten people who go chasing the old shiny will be back in about a month.Wait until you have to walk 15 minutes just to get to the fun.